Aulani: What's the One Thing You Wish You Knew?

Does anyone know, if you buy the week long pass for Rainbow Reef, are you allowed to borrow the snorkel equipment to take down to the cove? I thought I had seen something about that before on here, but now I can't find it. I'm debating about how much of our water gear I want to haul on the plane.

Thanks for the help!

Does anyone know, if you buy the week long pass for Rainbow Reef, are you allowed to borrow the snorkel equipment to take down to the cove? I thought I had seen something about that before on here, but now I can't find it. I'm debating about how much of our water gear I want to haul on the plane. Thanks for the help!

We did exactly that. The gear just needed to be returned by closing. They told us we could even take them on our own to other beaches. They were ours for the day.

We did exactly that. The gear just needed to be returned by closing. They told us we could even take them on our own to other beaches. They were ours for the day.

We are only going to be there 5 nights now. Is there a length of stay pass or is it best to do daily now that it is not a week?

Does anyone know, if you buy the week long pass for Rainbow Reef, are you allowed to borrow the snorkel equipment to take down to the cove? I thought I had seen something about that before on here, but now I can't find it. I'm debating about how much of our water gear I want to haul on the plane.

Thanks for the help!

We were there in October. We specifically asked if we could keep the mask and snorkel. (We were going to Turtle Beach and wanted to take them with us.) We were told, "No." It was explained that the snorkel and mask was available for us to use as often as we wanted during our stay, but only on property at the reef and that each time we left the reef we were to turn them in. We did as we were told.

- Dreams

We were there in October. We specifically asked if we could keep the mask and snorkel. (We were going to Turtle Beach and wanted to take them with us.) We were told, "No." It was explained that the snorkel and mask was available for us to use as often as we wanted during our stay, but only on property at the reef and that each time we left the reef we were to turn them in. We did as we were told. - Dres

Oh, I bet they had people not returning the equipment. Bummer.

We were there in October. We specifically asked if we could keep the mask and snorkel. (We were going to Turtle Beach and wanted to take them with us.) We were told, "No." It was explained that the snorkel and mask was available for us to use as often as we wanted during our stay, but only on property at the reef and that each time we left the reef we were to turn them in. We did as we were told.

- Dreams

What about the equipment you get on the beach? That is the equipment I've heard you can take to other beaches. I read that the reef equipment has to stay at Rainbow Reef but the beach equipment can be taken off property as long as it is returned by 5pm.

I really wished I had know about the beach with the seals! I managed to miss that on both trips.

I also wish I would have know how draining the trip from the East Coast and the time change would be. On our first trip we were in such a fog when we arrived, which when the whole greeting and resort overview was lost on me. I did learn better on the second trip and made a "jet lag" adjusting stop at Disneyland.

As others have stated, if you are going to Hawaii and will be staying longer than your Aulani stay, save Aulani for the end. You'll want to maximize your time to enjoy the amenities and relax! Do all your sight seeing and island exploring while staying elsewhere.

other random tips:

The Polynesian Cultural Center is large, if you don't finish touring it all, you can return within a week of original entry for free.

Costco online has Go Oahu cards which offer discounts and free attractions to various places on the island for a good deal less than buying directly from Smart Destinations. I think they only sell the 3-day which gives you three days worth of activities, so one the card is charged it counts against a day. You also get a bonus event such as a Luau. If you are an uber planning you can really get ahead on this. We went to Wet n Wild, did a catamaran sailing and took several tours to name a few things.

I really wished I had know about the beach with the seals! I managed to miss that on both trips. I also wish I would have know how draining the trip from the East Coast and the time change would be. On our first trip we were in such a fog when we arrived, which when the whole greeting and resort overview was lost on me. I did learn better on the second trip and made a "jet lag" adjusting stop at Disneyland. As others have stated, if you are going to Hawaii and will be staying longer than your Aulani stay, save Aulani for the end. You'll want to maximize your time to enjoy the amenities and relax! Do all your sight seeing and island exploring while staying elsewhere. other random tips: The Polynesian Cultural Center is large, if you don't finish touring it all, you can return within a week of original entry for free. Costco online has Go Oahu cards which offer discounts and free attractions to various places on the island for a good deal less than buying directly from Smart Destinations. I think they only sell the 3-day which gives you three days worth of activities, so one the card is charged it counts against a day. You also get a bonus event such as a Luau. If you are an uber planning you can really get ahead on this. We went to Wet n Wild, did a catamaran sailing and took several tours to name a few things.

Can I ask which catamaran sailing you did? We are thinking of doing the one from Aulani, but it is rather expensive...

We are there in December so I can report back!

We will be leaving in a few weeks and I was wondering did you like the Illikai condo? any recommendations?
After this cold spell I am really anxious to get to Hawaii, we will be going to Alanui for a couple of days while there
Thanks in advance

We will be leaving in a few weeks and I was wondering did you like the Illikai condo? any recommendations?
After this cold spell I am really anxious to get to Hawaii, we will be going to Alanui for a couple of days while there
Thanks in advance

We stayed at the Ilikai Marina (which is right next to the Ilikai Hotel) for the first 4 nights before moving out to Aulani . We were up on the 12th floor in and end unit which was nice.

Here is a picture of our view from our room Ilikai Marina #1294:

We loved the location because we could walk over to the Ala Moana Mall, it was right next to the Hilton and close to everything, yet it was a bit removed from the madness of Waikiki Beach. There was a great coffee place across the street called Kimobean.

I was suprised at how quiet it was in the building, we never heard any of our neighbors.

We were there March of 2013. I wish I knew that if you leave your slippers by the pool area that someone takes them. All my family and my sister's family's slippers were gone our very first day. No one knew where we could find them. We had to buy new flip flops.

With all the excitement its hard to keep track of time! So I suggest don't wear your best sandals/slippers...just the cheapest and bring more than one pair!

Another thing is stay at Aulani LAST. If switching hotels in the middle of your vacation...NOTHING will be as good as Aulani. IMHO

Can I ask which catamaran sailing you did? We are thinking of doing the one from Aulani, but it is rather expensive...

The sailing was through Makani Catamaran. it was included in the Go Oahu card. They offer morning and noon sailings. And if I remember right you are limited to one sailing per card activity day so you could do multiple sailings. I want to say the cruise is normally around $50. They also offer snorkeling trips which you pay an add on fee. Each trip lasted about 3 hrs. Between the catamaran, ha Breath of life dinner show and the movie studio tour combined with Costco discount the cards paid for themselves.

Adult 3-day at Costco is 139.99 and the child is 117.99. Going direct the tickets retail 190 to 175 for adults and 165 to 145 for children

Thanks for the info. We are also staying in the Marina #1143 corner lot and looks like another great view. We are members of the yacht club in Boston and will be able to go to the Waikiki Yacht club across the street. we have been in Oahu a couple of times before but 1st time at the Illikai condos. We are also going to Aulani for a couple of days whicle there. Can't wait. did you rent a car while at the Illikai, if so where did you rent it from.
Thanks

Has anybody use the "Entertainment Book" for Oahu?
If so, worth it?
Planning on taking a trip in2015 for our 25th anniversary.

Robin & Angel "D". :thumbsup2

Thanks for the info. We are also staying in the Marina #1143 corner lot and looks like another great view. We are members of the yacht club in Boston and will be able to go to the Waikiki Yacht club across the street. we have been in Oahu a couple of times before but 1st time at the Illikai condos. We are also going to Aulani for a couple of days whicle there. Can't wait. did you rent a car while at the Illikai, if so where did you rent it from.
Thanks

We rented from Budget at the airport and had a car for the whole trip. The Ilikai Marina has a great Parking Garage attached to it that was super convenient. The owner had given us a heads up to ask for the "full stay pass" when exiting the garage the first time. You have to pay for the total stay up front ($20 per day) and be sure to tell the garage attendant when exiting that first time.

Robin"D";50445632 said:
If so, worth it?

We did an Entertainment Book on our trip to Kauai for our honeymoon 20+ years ago. It was a great way to save money and have a frugal trip! For this last trip we used our the DVC discount (see the Aulani discounts on the portable perks page on Member Services) on a lot of the attractions we wanted to go to so we didnt try the Entertainment Book.

Robin"D";50445632 said:
If so, worth it?

Yes, we used it this past October for the BOGO coupon to the Polynesian Cultural Center, the BOGO for the Dole Plantation Maze, and the Enterprise 10% off coupons (for both Oahu and Kauai). Since we were going in October, I waited until the summer to buy the book and only paid $5 plus $1 shipping for it. It was definitely worth it for that price, but I wouldn't pay full price for it.

Robin"D";50445632 said:
If so, worth it?

I hadn't heard about this "Entertainment Book," does anyone have a link to the book? I would like to compare it to the go Oahu card. BTW - for those interested below is a link to the Go Oahu Card guide and their website. They also have cards for other cities, but can only vouch for the Oahu one. Definitely go though Costco (online) as they are deeply discounted there.

Card Overview
http://www.smartdestinations.com/oahu-attractions-and-tours/_d_Hio-p1.html?pass=Hio_Prod_Go

Download PDF of attraction guide
http://www.smartdestinations.com/guide-download.ep?dest=Hio

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter