Aulani: What's the One Thing You Wish You Knew?

Great thread everyone, thanks for all of the advice! We will be there March 15-25 with 4 adults and 2 kids (11 and 14) staying in a 2 bedroom. Can't wait!

We will likely see you there! We just booked March 10 - 17th. DH, myself and DS 12. If you see a very 'Canadian-pale' guy with a red beard that is probably DH. :wave2:

Hi - any recommendations for an 'all about aulani' thread here? I don't want to pepper with questions that are already notes elsewhere - for example I see reference to grills and would like to know more. Am going to search threads as well. :) TIA

At Costco, you can also get a great deal on macadamia nuts and boxes of Hawaiian Host brand chocolate covered macadamia nuts. There was another brand that they sold also. We brought boxes of those back as gifts. My husband also bought himself and his father some nice quality Hawaiian shirts there.

Hi - any recommendations for an 'all about aulani' thread here? I don't want to pepper with questions that are already notes elsewhere - for example I see reference to grills and would like to know more. Am going to search threads as well. :) TIA

Doing a search on this forum is great... and also on the DVC trip reports forum as I always find great tips by reading trip reports.

The main threads to take a look at are
The Aulani Villas and views thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2907389

The Aulani Lets List Places to Eat Thread:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2858912

and then this thread... and when you search you can always be more specific.... such as "Aulani Grills" ... I know someone posted a picture of them at some point... so you should have some luck on that one for sure.

I have a question regarding transportation to Costco. We are traveling as a family and have 18 people so we are not renting a car. Any suggestions for transportation to Costco to shop for groceries? Can't wait to leave the frozen tundra of Michigan. Thanks

I have a question regarding transportation to Costco. We are traveling as a family and have 18 people so we are not renting a car. Any suggestions for transportation to Costco to shop for groceries? Can't wait to leave the frozen tundra of Michigan. Thanks

You can take a taxi from the resort. Charley's Taxi always has cabs waiting at the resort, and they charge a flat rate to go into Kapolei. I believe it was $10, but I'm not positive about that. When you are done shopping, you can call them for a ride back...flat rate again. Note that it takes them 10-15 minutes to send a cab to you in Kapolei, so maybe call when you are in the Costco check out line.

Here's the one thing I wish I knew. If you go to Matsamoto's for shave ice, and are wondering what beans with your shave ice will be like, and then decide to order your shave ice with beans thinking you'll be more authentic. DON'T.

:crazy2:

Yuck. What's with putting beans on perfectly good shave ice. Not a mistake I'll repeat!!

Now the sweetened condensed milk at the Aulani stand, that's another story. Yum.

:thumbsup2

Here's the one thing I wish I knew. If you go to Matsamoto's for shave ice, and are wondering what beans with your shave ice will be like, and then decide to order your shave ice with beans thinking you'll be more authentic. DON'T.

:crazy2:

Yuck. What's with putting beans on perfectly good shave ice. Not a mistake I'll repeat!!

Now the sweetened condensed milk at the Aulani stand, that's another story. Yum.

:thumbsup2

I have never been brave enough to do the beans!! Always wondered though... Now thanks to you I know!

I enjoy the beans and ice cream in my shave ice but my wife does not- they are worth trying to find out if you are at all interested!

I agree. I'm glad I tried it so I know what it was like -- and think how much money I'll save never doing it again! :thumbsup2

I've been studying this area of the DIS to help plan my family's Aulani trip next year and unlike cruising or theme parks, doing a big destination trip is a lot more daunting! My parents are older (60's and 70's) and my father cannot do a lot of walking or physically tasking activities. My plan so far is to rent a car and stay at the resort at least 5 nights by renting DVC points (we are not members). Things we definitely plan to do are:
1. Pearl Harbor
2. The market across from Pearl Harbor at the stadium (?)

As for what else, I'm not so sure. My brother and his wife went to the Polynesian Cultural Center, but it sounds like it's a day-long extravaganza that some people do not care for and that may be a bit much for us. The North Shore sounds awesome, but I'd be interested if there are other things other than the beaches and food trucks around that may interest my parents. So far, I've researched the Valley of the Temples, which sounds like a wonderful place to spend a couple hours. Also, while I know Aulani has the Starlit Hui, I wonder if we would also enjoy a more full-fledged luau and Chief's Luau pops up as the "most recommended." Are there any whale watching tours in the summer?

Also, how did everyone get to Hawaii? It looks almost cheaper to do a few days in San Diego first than direct from Florida. I'd love to include Disneyland but I'm trying to do this on a teacher budget! Thanks in advance for any tips!

I've been studying this area of the DIS to help plan my family's Aulani trip next year and unlike cruising or theme parks, doing a big destination trip is a lot more daunting! My parents are older (60's and 70's) and my father cannot do a lot of walking or physically tasking activities. My plan so far is to rent a car and stay at the resort at least 5 nights by renting DVC points (we are not members). Things we definitely plan to do are:
1. Pearl Harbor
2. The market across from Pearl Harbor at the stadium (?)

As for what else, I'm not so sure. My brother and his wife went to the Polynesian Cultural Center, but it sounds like it's a day-long extravaganza that some people do not care for and that may be a bit much for us. The North Shore sounds awesome, but I'd be interested if there are other things other than the beaches and food trucks around that may interest my parents. So far, I've researched the Valley of the Temples, which sounds like a wonderful place to spend a couple hours. Also, while I know Aulani has the Starlit Hui, I wonder if we would also enjoy a more full-fledged luau and Chief's Luau pops up as the "most recommended." Are there any whale watching tours in the summer?

Also, how did everyone get to Hawaii? It looks almost cheaper to do a few days in San Diego first than direct from Florida. I'd love to include Disneyland but I'm trying to do this on a teacher budget! Thanks in advance for any tips!

Your parents might enjoy a visit to the Punchbowl (National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific), which is a beautiful cemetery with great views.

Haleiwa Town on the North Shore has some shops and restaurants, and of course Matsumoto's shave ice. Our favorite North Shore stop is Turtle Beach (can't remember the official name, this is different than Turtle Bay) but it involves parking across the street and crossing traffic then getting down to the beach, which might be too much for your parents.

I would definitely do a luau. We thought the Paradise Cove luau was decent and it's an easy walk from Aulani. We enjoyed the Starlit Hui and agreed that our kids probably would have been impatient at a longer luau, but it's definitely worth doing once.

The Byodo-In Temple is a nice stop on the east side of the island. We spent about 3 hours at the Polynesian Cultural Center and enjoyed it (it was us, kids 11 and 9, and my FIL mid-60's). It did require some walking, but it wasn't horrible. We didn't stay for the evening entertainment or food, so it doesn't have to be an all-day excursion.

No, the whales are only in Hawaii in the winter (October-March, I believe).

Subscribing! This thread has some fantastic info! Thanks a bunch! Can't wait till October!!!

Having just competed first trip...wish I knew Photopass photographers would not be at character greetings. Was told this is a recent change but I think it stinks because no character photos on CD and can't add borders.

Having just competed first trip...wish I knew Photopass photographers would not be at character greetings. Was told this is a recent change but I think it stinks because no character photos on CD and can't add borders.

There were photo pass photographers at the characters here after the pool party 2 days ago? We haven't went to any of the scheduled character times though.

Sorry if this was already posted.... Im loving the 15 pages!

When i visit the beach, i love big waves.

The North Shore was heaven, but not every north shore beach had big waves as many of the swimming areas were actually lagoons that buffered the surf from pounding the beach.

Specifically Sunset Point Beach was the perfect mix of nice sand, huge waves, lifeguards on duty, and overall Hawaiian beach vibe.
It took us until our last day to find it and hang out, but it was one of the most fun days ive ever had in my life.

I can still see the 8 foot waves crashing over my head! :)

Thanks for all the great tips! We are going in early June for 8 nights and can't wait! Only 65 more days!!!

There were photo pass photographers at the characters here after the pool party 2 days ago? We haven't went to any of the scheduled character times though.

How much is the photopass? Can you buy a cd with all your photos of the whole week like you can at the parks?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter