Aulani - here now - post your questions

I've got a picture of of the sign for Rainbow Reef Rentals, but can't figure out how to get it posted on here. So . . . Send me a Private Message with your email and I can attach it in an email to you. Here is the info.

(This was effective in February, 2013. Not sure what it is now):

Rainbow Reef Rentals
Hours: 10:00am to 5:00pm
Rainbow Reef is a free-ranging saltwater experience. You will be sharing the water with a colorful and diverse array of fish:

Rainbow Reef Experience Adult $20 Child $15

Length-of-Stay Rainbow Reef Adult $39 Child $29

Makai Preserve Marine Conservation Pool (Enjoy a personal encounter with ahihimanu sting ray. Reservations Required
Dial "O" Guest Services for reservations
Adult $50
Child $45

Many thanks!

You can use photobucket to upload pics and then use img to post here to put pics on dis boards. :)

We are currently here at Aulani now. Crowds are low and there are lots of loungers available all day long. Rainbow Reef length of stay pass is currently only $20.00! Photopass people around all day just wave them down. Most friendly CM's we have ever dealt with. We went to sharks cove at the north shore for terrific ocean snorkeling. We bring our own snorkeling equipment except fins.

We are currently here at Aulani now. Crowds are low and there are lots of loungers available all day long. Rainbow Reef length of stay pass is currently only $20.00! Photopass people around all day just wave them down. Most friendly CM's we have ever dealt with. We went to sharks cove at the north shore for terrific ocean snorkeling. We bring our own snorkeling equipment except fins.

Wonder if the length of stay pass will stay that way or if it's a special deal because of the construction. Anyone know? We'll be there mid-October and I'm still trying to decide whether to haul snorkeling equipment with us. Have a great time!

Thanks for the report Barb! We're waffling on the snorkel gear too.

My kids DD6 and DS8 did Fish are Friends just today. Cost for the 3 hr program was $69 per child and included lunch. I didn't get the full review from them yet, but it sounds like they would recommend it.

We just booked our first Aulani visit for Spring Break with DD13 and DS 9. I'm curious about Fish are Friends and Surf's Up for my son who will be 9 1/2 at that point. Worried he will be too old to enjoy it. Does it seem like it was really just for smaller kids? Love your 8-year-old's opinion.

Thanks!

We have not had any problem with jet lag after the first day.Woke up at 3:30 am. Hands down this is the best Disney resort we have ever stayed at.

Do one bedrooms have a dining size table? And, only 1 bath or 1.5?

Has anyone found good sushi and/or other dinners to go nearby aulani.

Or, a local type sushi place right nearby to eat in.

Thank you!

We just were at the Marriott Ko Olina (two resorts down) in June for two weeks (we own there, and used to live on Oahu, miss it so much!). We used to always LOVE Genki Sushi - when we lived there, I used to go there all the time. And when we'd go to the flea market at the stadium, I ALWAYS took my kids (they begged to go) on the way back to Ko Olina to the Genki Sushi in Pearl City on Kam Hwy. Well, we found a sushi place in Kapolei - right near Safeway so literally less than a ten minute drive from Ko Olina - that is amazing! It's called Sushi Bay. It's in a strip mall and still same conveyor belt sushi (but you can order from your waiter/waitress) and they have the best sushi - super fresh and huge portions. It's also less than half what we pay here on the East Coast. We ate there several times (my DS loves sushi, he was born in Hawaii and loves everything Hawaiian except coconut, go figure).

So, if you want the best sushi near Aulani, in my opinion you gotta try Sushi Bay - even if there's a wait it's worth it. Of course next door is a Baskin Robbins so my DH and DD had to get ice cream afterwards - I was too full!

Debating about whether to buy, rent, or bring along snorkeling equipment. I don't think we'll do much snorkeling, but we would like to at least try it in the lagoon.

I've read that we can rent gear through a one day or length of stay pass at Rainbow Reef (Can someone tell me the prices?). Can someone confirm that that equipment can then be used in the lagoon? I've read conflicting reports about this. I know that the equipment has to be turned in every day. And obviously it gives us access to Rainbow Reef. Alternatively, is there a snorkeling gear rental place on the beach at Aulani or somewhere nearby? We will have a car.

For those who buy snorkeling equipment, do you then lug it home with you? We're too environmentally conscious to just throw it away when we leave. Is there a place to donate it? DH will probably buy a prescription mask to bring along, but otherwise I can't see us packing the gear (especially since it has to fit on our flight to Kauai). But if it's cheaper to buy it than rent it, then DH will want to go that route.

What has worked best for others?

We have always brought our snorkels (but we stay at the Marriott - just enjoying this thread so much!). We bought years ago at Costco - when the kids were really little, like 5 or 6, we got them kids' sizes, then they progressed to adult size. Now we learn to only bring 2 sets for the 4 of us; we're never all 4 out at the same time. I say bring them if you have them, or you can pretty much always count on Costco in Kapolei to have them, so you can buy them there and take them home.

Early morning, it's nice to snorkel in the coves right there. It's chilly early (I'm such a wimp; when we lived on Oahu I would never go in the ocean in December, too cold for me LOL).

We have not had any problem with jet lag after the first day.Woke up at 3:30 am. Hands down this is the best Disney resort we have ever stayed at.

When you fly west bound jet lag doesn't hit you as bad as when you fly eastbound.

I think the rule of thumb is it takes about a day for each time zone you pass to recover.

When you fly west bound jet lag doesn't hit you as bad as when you fly eastbound.

I think the rule of thumb is it takes about a day for each time zone you pass to recover.

I actually find the opposite is true for me. When I go east it really throws me for a loop. On my last trip to Ireland I was all messed up for the entire week. Same was true coming east after two weeks in Hawaii.

Going west I just stay up til 11 or so my first day and I'm good. I may get up a little early but no big deal.

I actually find the opposite is true for me. When I go east it really throws me for a loop. On my last trip to Ireland I was all messed up for the entire week. Same was true coming east after two weeks in Hawaii.

Going west I just stay up til 11 or so my first day and I'm good. I may get up a little early but no big deal.

We got back Labor Day Weekend after 12 days in Hawaii and then 2 in LA (Had to get a Disney fix at Disneyland! :cool1:)

The first week we were in bed by 10PM and comfortably getting up at 6 (even my daughter that like to sleep late). By the time we left Hawaii we were in bed 11:30-midnight and getting up by 8.

We red-eyed into LA and was at the Grand Californian at 5AM local. Our bodies said 2AM so it was tough, but by the time we walked in the park we were fine. Walking around DL in 101° heat made us happy the park closed by 10 and we were in bed shortly there after. The heat sapped any strength we had.

When we got back to NJ we were tired and fell right back into east coast time. I will say getting up that following Tuesday at 5:15AM was tough. That was the hardest part.

---Paul in Southern NJ

You are both saying the same thing... eastbound is harder than westbound. I've found that to be true as well.

Planning an Aulani trip and concerned about the jet lag issues! Have trouble sleeping normally so hoping that it isn't worse!

Really looking forward to our first Aulani trip! Can't wait till next May!!!!!!!!1:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Planning an Aulani trip and concerned about the jet lag issues! Have trouble sleeping normally so hoping that it isn't worse!

Really looking forward to our first Aulani trip! Can't wait till next May!!!!!!!!1:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

We had no jet lag issues going there. We just stayed up when we got there and didnt have a problem sleeping...... Unless we forgot to put our phones on "do not disturb" and were getting calls and texts in the middle of the night, from our friends back home in NY asking if we were having fun......

We did have a bit of jet lag coming back home though. We took a red eye back home and my husband went right to work when we landed. It took a few day to get back to normal, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Was thinking about combining DL with Hawaii - with Hawaii first then stopping at DL on the way back home (Louisiana). Any thoughts? Was only panning 1wk at Aulani but now thinking this may be too short.
Any thoughts?

Do one bedrooms have a dining size table? And, only 1 bath or 1.5?. . . .

Thank you!

file_zps03505342.jpg

The bathroom was split with tub in one section and shower and toilet in another room with door between. The shower area had a door to the hallway by the entrance door.

file_zps420793f1.jpg

file_zps920aa37a.jpg

Huh? I think that is what i said.

Huh? I think that is what i said.

I think it's just one more confirmation. The same holds true for us. I think it really matters if you get in the sun some arrival. If you arrive after dark it's harder to adapt.

Whereas going home we take the red eye special back and arrive early morning--no wonder we're tired. DH can't sleep on the plane at all and I'm cat napping the whole time. I always arrive home with a stiff neck--from jerking it all the time as I doze and wake up.

Was thinking about combining DL with Hawaii - with Hawaii first then stopping at DL on the way back home (Louisiana). Any thoughts? Was only panning 1wk at Aulani but now thinking this may be too short.
Any thoughts?

We did Hawaii (3 islands) and then DL for 2 days.

I'm not sure it makes much difference. We did 3 full days on Oahu, 2 full days on the big Island 3 full days on Maui. 2 days were "do stuff" and 1 day of "do nothing" at the resort. On the Big Island, we did 1 day of running around and 1 day at the resort. There was a travel day in between each. Breaking it up that way there was always a day to recover. We did a red-eye from Maui to LAX then charged into DL for 2 days and took a red-eye home (so 1 night at the Grand Californian).

If you have questions, please give a shout!

---Paul in Southern NJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter