Aulani Dining

tigergrad

DIS Veteran
Heading to Aulani and would appreciate dining suggestions. Just my husband and I. Nothing fancy, just good and authentic. Thanks.

Heading to Aulani and would appreciate dining suggestions. Just my husband and I. Nothing fancy, just good and authentic. Thanks.
We just went in June and enjoyed the sushi from Olelo Room. The dinner at Makahiki was alright - the tomato soup w/ small cheese sandwich was the highlight! AMA'AMA was disappointing in our opinion. I've attached some photos of the food to get an idea of what we ordered at Aulani.

Attachments

• 20230531_192006.jpg
    20230531_192006.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230531_200909.jpg
    20230531_200909.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230604_193210.jpg
    20230604_193210.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230531_184831.jpg
    20230531_184831.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230531_184112.jpg
    20230531_184112.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230531_190147.jpg
    20230531_190147.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230603_183220.jpg
    20230603_183220.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230531_191943.jpg
    20230531_191943.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230603_182452.jpg
    20230603_182452.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230531_190222.jpg
    20230531_190222.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 18
Are you looking for dining suggestions around Aulani, or are you willing to go outside Ko'Olina? Will you have a car?

We will have a rental car. We plan to tour around the island some- North Shore especially.

We usually eat Japanese cuisine multiple times on Aulani trips. I love the Japanese cuisine throughout Oahu. I live in an area without decent authentic Japanese cuisine, like in Oahu or Southern California. I liked these three Japanese restaurants: Curry House Ichibanya and Tanaka Ramen in Kapolei and Marugame Udon in Waikiki.

We have not tried sit-down restaurants outside Japanese restaurants or Character Breakfast at Aulani as we stick with groceries (breakfast and lunch), counter service, or takeout for dinner. Also, we are not fine-dining people, so we skip the fancy restaurants in Ko'Olina or the rest of Oahu.

Foodland Farms is not that far away if you are already doing a Target/Costco run as part of your trip. They have a really great poke selection if you have a fridge and silverware where you are staying.

We usually visit longhis at the Marriott down the street. theres haooy hour at the four seasons next door from 3 to 5 for drinks and a variety of appetizers at reduced prices. It’s right on the terrace overlooking the lagoon. If you get there around 4, you can order a couple of drinks and appetizers before 5 and then just sit there and enjoy the view for as long as you want. . We treat it as a very early dinner.
Noe at the four seasons is also lovely. The Monkeypod across the street is good. On the north shore you will find a variety of food trucks selling tacos etc. you can look up,the best ones.
with a car you can go into Kapolei. We like Assaggio. Or the brick oven pizza.

Hit a food truck in Haleiwa. We actually preferred Big Wave to Giovanni's...

Agree! We are big fans of Big Wave!

If you want a unique and excellent burger, try Seven Brothers. They have multiple locations on Oahu. While in Haleiwa for a day in June, lunch was at Big Wave Shrimp Truck and dinner at the Seven Brothers in Haleiwa. Great foodie day!

It was closed during our trip in June, but I highly recommend Broke da Mouth Grindz. Casual atmosphere and the BEST garlic chicken!!! It's in Kapolei, a short drive from Ko Olina.

In the Honolulu area, near Ala Moana mall, is one of the two Side Street Inn locations. Great food, huge portions...and get a reservation.

And breakfast...at Ko Olina Center across from Aulani...Eggs N Things. Definitely worth the short walk over.

At Aulani itself...we ADORED the Ahi Poke Nachos on the poolside bar menu. And we very much enjoyed the sushi at the Olelo Room.

Breakfast at Makahiki was great, better than dinner we thought. AMA AMA is special dining and worth every penny if you appreciate more extravagant dining experiences. It's not really a place for those who have more of a "meat and potatoes" palate.

Last edited:
North Shore:
Sunrise Shack Acai bowls/bullet coffee at Sunset Beach (orig) or Sharks Cove both on Kam Hwy Haleiwa
Pupakea Grill food truck inHaleiwa is better than Giovanni's and Big Wave. imho (and most locals)

North Shore:
Sunrise Shack Acai bowls/bullet coffee at Sunset Beach (orig) or Sharks Cove both on Kam Hwy Haleiwa
Pupakea Grill food truck inHaleiwa is better than Giovanni's and Big Wave. imho (and most locals)
In Haleiwa, we like the KalBi truck that is 2 trucks down from Giovanni's more.
The Paia Fishmarket in Waikiki and Kailua are really great casual places to get some really good grilled fish. And if you go to Kailua, hit up Manoa Chocolate for some really good chocolate. Yes, chocolate is a separate food group that is necessary for a well-balanced diet.
For other food truck goodness, we go to the trucks across from the Waikele Outlets in Waipahu. The lechon fried rice from Dick's Lechon is great.

We usually visit longhis at the Marriott down the street. theres haooy hour at the four seasons next door from 3 to 5 for drinks and a variety of appetizers at reduced prices. It’s right on the terrace overlooking the lagoon. If you get there around 4, you can order a couple of drinks and appetizers before 5 and then just sit there and enjoy the view for as long as you want. . We treat it as a very early dinner.
Noe at the four seasons is also lovely. The Monkeypod across the street is good. On the north shore you will find a variety of food trucks selling tacos etc. you can look up,the best ones.
with a car you can go into Kapolei. We like Assaggio. Or the brick oven pizza.
Is the Four Seasons happy hour at Mina’s Fish House or somewhere else? Is it possible to bring (older) kids or does everyone have to be 21+?

There is a $5 Bento Food truck at Sandy Beach/Wawamalu Beach Park that has traditional Hawaiian Plate meals and the best Dole Whip I've ever had.

The $5 meal will feed two people, but you each have to order separate items so you can share. Seriously, this food truck meal is one of the best meals we've had it was that good.

The $5 Bento Food truck does have trucks in other locations around the island. We only tried this location.

ETA - the ABC Store across from Aulani has really good made-to-order breakfasts that are very reasonable and can also feed two people. Their egg sandwiches and pancakes are amazing and cheaper than what you would expect. We also, okay, I also love to grab one of their premade PB&J sandwiches to take with me as we tour the island and as my meal on the plane home. Not sure why, but the ABC Store PB&Js are the best PB&Js ever.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter