• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aug.24 Day 2

h20jag

<br><font color=green>DIS Veteran<br><font color=m
Fri. 8/24/01
9yo DD
DW
Me

This morning we're at the pool 15 mins before 8 A.M. opening. Had to kill some time in the hottub, could easily kill a day here if allowed.
When given the go ahead, DD is the first down the waterslide today. We frolic and swim for about 20 mins, then head back to room to shower and change.
After meeting our coffee & juice & poptart quota, we're breakfast nibblers on the go, we're off to IOA.
First ride is Spiderman, then skip thru to Jurassic Park where DD & DW ride the Pter. Flyers. Next we're in Lost Continent to ride coasters: they're on Unicorn while I do Fire & Ice. By the time I meet them at the games area, they're already 5 stuffed bears richer. We fill out a delivery ticket at a nearby shop to have them held for us at Port Of Entry (To have them delivered to HRH room actually takes till next day, or so we were told. DD wants them by nightfall!).
Finally, it's time for the all-new Poseidon's Fury show. All summer we've successfully ignored all the "spoiler" posts here just so we'd have an extra thrill to look forward to (you know how hard that is to do!?). DW & DD gave an edge to the new show, while I felt an even 50/50 split. Overall, we were happy to see a different show this go around.
We decide to head out of the park for lunch today, as we'd reserved a cabana for 3 P.M. We're wanting to check out the Universal store at Belz that we'd read about here anyway. Now, on the way out of IOA, our stuffed bears aren't ready for pick-up yet (can take a couple hours). No biggie, I assure DD I'll head over later to get 'em. That way I can ride Hulk also.
After a nice lunch at Chili's on I-Drive, we find the Uni. store in mall #1 at Belz Outlet complex (and I do mean complex!). Picked up a few t-shirts & tank-tops from $4 - $9, so it's actually worth visiting. They have a lot of neat souvenirs there too. We'd end up visiting again the next day for pins and more shirts.
Before getting "home" we make a pitstop at the Walgreens on Kirkman Rd. to grab more contraband. It's so durn hot by this time, we can't wait to be in that pool the rest of the day.
We were assigned cabana #1 (closest to the BeachClub, ya gotta love that!). We're in & out of pool and down the slide a bunch. Nice to have a cool spot to retreat to in these cabanas! The family in #2 next to us came by later and introduced themselves. She's a travel agent on kind of a fact-finding mission (tough assignment). They'd stayed at PBH before, but was their first HRH stay. Their son had a friend with them who's dad works for Universal. Couldn't help but wonder if he wasn't an Earl Jr! It certainly enhances an already pleasurable stay when you get to meet up with people that are like you, just out to have fun. We had a couple drinks with them before they dashed off to prepare for dinner at NBA City.
DD reminds me of her patiently waiting bears back at IOA. Yep, I'd forgotten alright. Throw on a shirt & sandals and off I go in my wet swimshorts to dry off on the Hulk...er, retrieve bears. On my way to IOA, I look through the USF arch and just inside the gates all the way up the street it's wall to wall people! Oh yeah, it's Fiesta Caliente time!! (I'm guessing it's about 6:30 at this time...the 1st concert isn't for 2 more hours, wow!)
Get me one ride on Hulk, grab a cool beverage at Backwater Bar, & then to the package pick-up in Port of Entry. Meet up with an employee doing a drop-off from Toon Lagoon, I ask her about her pin collection she's wearing on her I.D. neckstrap. Tells me of the pin trade promotion whereas a guest may stop them and simply point to a pin they desire, and trade their old one for it! Of course, it's gotta be a Universal pin you are giving up. I thanked her for the info, got my bears, & back to HRH I head with the new news for DD.
Everyone's hungry now so we ordered from the BeachClub and DW and I set up for our first HRH Scrabble match. DD settles in with some Nickleodeon cartoons on the T.V.
After polishing off a quite delicious burger & chicken quesadilla dinner (I do beleive it's all prepared from the Sunset Grills' kitchen anyway), I polish off DW in our Scrabble match. We all pool it once more, though I'm 1st back out to watch my Braves on T.V. for awhile. Our cabana neighbors stopped by on their way back from CityWalk and invited us to their party the next nite by the pool (they already had it reserved for the next day, wish I'd thought of that!). I used the phone provided (thank goodness the thing never rang while I was in vacation mode, I would've smashed it), and tried to reserve the same cabana but they only had a couple left. Ended up with #5. It was the closest anyway.
We hung out till pool closing at about 10:30 - 11:00 that nite. We can only guesstimate at times by now. Time has suddenly ceased to be important to us.
Off to bed to recharge for the next day.
Jim

Great report, Jim!! Aren't you the kind Dad, sacrificing like that to go get your DD's bears!;)

We will have to look into renting a cabana for our next trip. It rained the whole time we were there this time so we didn't get to enjoy the pool area as much as we wanted.

Again, thanks for the report - really makes me want to go back already.

Nan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter