Atlantis Monorails~Where'd they go?

Banzai

<font color=red>Is now single and available!<br><f
What happend to the Atlantis monorails? When did it that Idea die?

It appears this idea died....aparently with every other advertising for the movie.

Christ.....I don't know how good a movie Shrek is, but at least I know about it. If I didn't read these boards, I wouldn't have a clue about Atlantis....

Screwy Mouse.

HBK, not sure I understand your response. I have seen quite a few TV spots for Atlantis and not yet any form of promo for Shrek. In fact, I would have no idea Shrek existed if it weren't for these boards. Or is that what you were saying, about Shrek that is.

I agree with HBK...I've seen at least five times more commercials for Shrek than for Atlantis. Plus, I've seen people on multiple talk shows promoting Shrek (Mike Myers for one)...but I haven't seen a single sole promoting Atlantis.

Shrek is coming out in 2 weeks, Atlantis in 5. When it gets closer you see ads for it.

HBK, not sure I understand your response. I have seen quite a few TV spots for Atlantis and not yet any form of promo for Shrek. In fact, I would have no idea Shrek existed if it weren't for these boards. Or is that what you were saying, about Shrek that is

It seems like we can never agree. In the programming I watch, I have NEVER seen ANY mention (nevermind an ad) for Atlantis. I haven't seen any type of writeup about Atlantis.

Shrek on the other hand is getting MASSIVE attention. From news articles on ABCNEWS.COM (Isn't that a tad ironic?) to the main stars promoting the film.

Ok I guess we're at an impass on this....

We'll see how both movies do.

It's not a disagreement, just what we have both observed. Honestly, I have still not seen any promo for Shrek. Not print, not TV, nothing. I have no idea what it is about, absolutely none. Wouldn't even know that it existed if for not reading on these boards that someone thought it was much better than Atlantis.

Mind you, I haven't seen much on Atlantis either, but have seen some. Enough to have a general feel for the story and whether it would be something my family would enjoy.

Now, as to why I have seen nothing on Shrek (am I spelling that right?) your guess is as good as mine.

The number of ads for a given movie varies from market to market. Studios generally decide were they think a film will be a hit and target the marketing there. Very few movies get the same coverage across the country - you won't see a lot of ads for 'The Golden Bowl' in Billings, but you will in New York and LA.

In Southern California, 'Shrek' is being promoted everywhere from television to 'Burger King' to the biggest grocery store change. Why Miami isn't getting a similar push (it's a large market), I have no idea. Some suit at Dreamworks must have decided that the movie just won't appeal to people in South Florida.

As for the 'Atlantis' monorails - marketing cutbacks. There will still be a fairly hefty campaign for the movie but the 'low-impact' ties have been cut. Besides, Disney is spending $5 million on just one party in Hawaii to promote 'Pearl Harbor'. And that amount of poi has just got to come from somewhere.

Look DIsney's throwing there money down the Poilet

Sorry, Sorry, old Billy Crystal Joke, please ignore.

Personally, I'm just starting to see shrek TV ads here, although they've had billboards up for about 3 weeks.
Conversly I've seen a lot of print ads for atlantis and I've seen the movie trailer in every movie I've gone to in the past 6 Months.

I've seen only one TV ad for Atlantis and none for Shrek.
However, there have been Shrek posters on many of the city bus stops for a number of weeks. None for Atlantis.

This weekend there was some reference to Shrek in a travel agency ad in the Sunday paper. Some type of travel package tie-in (sorry, didn't read).

I would say none of these add up to much of a concerted push here for either yet.

Did see a fairly intense Pearl Harbor TV ad yesterday. Quick monatage of different fighting scenes. My wife's comment was it sure makes it look like a "guy" movie. The early trailers I saw gave equal time to the romance play. Wonder it they have changed their target audience?

As was stated by ErikdaRed, Atlantis is over a month away, Shrek is coming out in 2 weeks. Personally, all the ads I see for Shrek make me wanna vomit. It's so gross. Plus it's a ripoff of my last name (very similar) so Im telling everyone I know not to see it. :tongue:

haha. Oh, and about the different ads or Pearl Harbor (which is getting massive advertisment), different ads are designed for different ppl. During a car race, they would show the more macho one, but on Lifetime, you're more liekly to see the one stressing the romance.

Ugh. Baskin Robbins is selling the most disgusting looking ice cream related to Shrek. YECH.

spags.

I agree with the 2 week/5 week thing. I have seen TV ads for both, I'd say 2-1 shrek. I've seen the trailer for both at the few movies I've been to the last couple of months. The other day I saw lots of print Items for Atlantis, story books, coloring books and sticker books. At Toys are us I saw some action figures. I got an ad in the Mail for a NY exclusive engaement, and Disney Auctions has been pushing the movie.

I think that as the time gets closer you will see more and more ads etc. June 15th is over a month away. I think it would be a better use of the advertising budget to use it in June rather than now.

Time will tell which one will do better but I think Shrek will appeal to those that like the "Airplane" and "Police Academy" style of humor.

DH and I went to the movie on Saturday and saw a preview for Atlantis. Dh also says that the last two movies he has been to with the kids showed a preview for Atlantis.

BTW, what the heck is Shrek? Never heard of it! :rolleyes:

Just saw an Atlantis billboard where a Shrek one used to be, Infer what you will

Well, gcurling and I are in basically the same market and I confirm his assesment. I see a little for Atlantis and I have seen none, zip, nada as in absolutely nothing on Shrek and like gcurling, I wouldn't even know what it is except for these boards.

Isn't it interesting the odd marketing???:cool: :cool:

In Northeast Florida, I have seen a pretty good # of ads for Atlantis. I have seen Goose Egg (zero) for Shrek. I saw a cut-out for it in Baskin Robbins this past weekend, but that is it.

From here I've seen NOTHING regarding Atlantis at all. I mean it. ZERO. ZIP. NADA!!

But it seems every half hour or so I see a thrity second spot for Shrek.

But I see a whole bunch of kids shows. YoHo? What's your, more adult take?

Movie marketing is almost, but not exactly, that arbitrary. Besides the performance of the film in certain markets, the studios also plan on how the movie will play out. I think that Dreamworks is betting on a strong word-of-mouth for ‘Shrek’. Their campaign is geared toward getting the initial crowd into the theaters on the right day. These people will see the film, like it, and tell their friends. The friends will see the film, like it, and tell others, etc. The advantages of this type of opening is that 1) personal recommendations expose a film to a wider (hence larger) audience, 2) it’s cheaper and 3) it makes the film last longer in the theaters because the audiences grow from the initial weeks.

A film like ‘The Mummy Returns’ has the shelf life of an open milk container in the summer sun. The carpet-bombing marketing approach for these films is used to drive as many people as possible to the film in the first three week (preferably in the opening weekend). It’s better for the studios because 1) the split of the box office between the studio and the theater owners is front weighted in favor of the studios and 2) it gets the film in-and-out with the money before the other studio’s giant blockbuster stomps all over it. Theaters are okay with this because any movie that can sell $70 million worth of tickets in three days means long lines to buy popcorn and cokes.

Disney’s been trying to build ‘Atlantis’ into a blockbuster, hence the early start to the marketing and some fairly widespread spending. Disney knows that the film doesn’t stand a chance against ‘Tomb Raider’, but they want to give the film enough of a public profile so that people are more willing to buy/rent the video when it’s released. I also think Disney is counting on a good 75% of the film’s revenues to come from overseas and being labeled a “hit” in the U.S. helps foreign box office. I couldn’t resist the pun – but the marketing campaign is designed to keep ‘Atlantis’ above water.

Lanbaron, I don't watch a lot of Kids programming. I've only seen one shrek Television ad, and (I realize that nobody will believe this is objective, but I assure you it is) I wasn't overly impressed by it. I have been seeing billboards for Shrek all over the place lately. Similarly I've been seeing billboards for Atlantis all over the place, so from my perspective, penetrations about the same. Also, I read the MAgazine computer Gameing world and Atlantis the computer game has huge 2-page ads. This blends right in with Another Voice's comments about the thrust of the advertising. At the same time, it bolsters the core audience (Young men). I expect to see a bigger Atlantis push starting Next week.

As I also previously said, I couldn't go to a movie over the past couple of month's without seeing an Atlantis preview, but I saw no Shrek Movie previews.

So, Landbaron, to answer your question, I've seen equal billboard space, one shrek TV ad and lots of Atlantis movie previews and computer game ads.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter