Asperger's young adults

Only good news to report.

Our son is HOME! :grouphug:

He ended up getting into rehab mid July and came home last weekend. He is in a wheelchair due to both legs being broken. He has rods and screws in both calf and thigh of left leg. Just a few screws in the right one. He is not allowed weight bearing on either and may need further surgery on the left one.

He will have to go back to intensive rehab once his weight bearing status changes. He has mastered all his wheelchair transfers and self care. We go 9/4 for the appt. to find out how his bones are doing. Learning to walk again will require therapy due to legs themselves and the brain injuries.

My son is back to about 90% mentally. The biggest problem being memory. Just so thankful to have him!

Thanks to all that offered prayers and support here. Take care of your Asperger's kids. Make sure they are on whatever meds are needed as they head into young adulthood. Don't be afraid to make an issue of it. If they live with you, make medical compliance a condition.

Prayers for all families touched by autism.

Great to hear about the progress

How ASD minds recover from trauma is one of the area that has not been studied clinically, but not being primarily reliant on linear links likely has advantages.

Our kids do need extra attention in recovering from the emotional trauma through

OP I know that you are a very happy Mom today, I hope your son continues to make progress.

What an amazing recovery!!! I'm so glad for you both!!!

Thank you so much! :)

Great to hear about the progress

How ASD minds recover from trauma is one of the area that has not been studied clinically, but not being primarily reliant on linear links likely has advantages.

Our kids do need extra attention in recovering from the emotional trauma through

Thank you!

And yes, it's true that there are no clinical studies dealing with TBI in this population. I was so desperate for information and researched until my fingers and mind were numb, to no avail.

I agree that I personally believe my son must have had some advantage. I base that on no medical proof, or even medical theory, just a feeling. Although I strongly believe in the power of prayer, I believe he did have some kind of physical difference in healing within his brain.

In part, I base my my opinion on the statistics. The odds of recovery for one of my son's three TBIs are very, very bad. They claim that 90% of people never wake up. The 10% that do are severely impaired. There is no room in the statistics for even a tad bit of hope.

And yet, my son is intellectually "normal" at 8.5 weeks out. He has not reached his pre-accident IQ of 144, but tests within the average range. Medically, this is impossible. But it is what it is. The CT scans don't lie.

As a mom who (controversially) hated my son's autism, I find myself now thanking God for it. With every ounce of my being, I believe that if not for that difference in his brain, he would not be with us today ... at least not in the condition he is in.

I agree about the emotional support needed. My son is just now starting to realize the seriousness of his injuries and his future medical needs. He talks a lot about his feelings and I am so very grateful for that. He would have never did that pre-accident.

As mother and son, we have went from him not really speaking to me for years, to as close as a mother and son can be. This accident has been a huge blessing on our relationship and I pray that will never change again.

That is awesome news! I'm so happy he's home {{hugs}}.

Thank you! :grouphug:

OP I know that you are a very happy Mom today, I hope your son continues to make progress.

Thank you! Yes, I am sure am one happy mom! :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter