Asperger's young adults

FortForever

Disney since Day 1
I'm not even sure why I'm posting here since I have no interest in going to WDW, or doing anything really, ever again. I just know there are many parents here with kids on the spectrum.

I just want say what I wish I had done different. My son is 23. He has refused any medical treatment for years. He was completely non compliant with his medication even before he turned 18. Many times I have thought about trying to get some sort of legal control to force the issue. I didn't. I was afraid of putting a rift in our already tumultuous relationship. I was afraid of losing him forever. How ironic.

My son was a careful driver. He was a rule follower on the roads. I trusted him to drive because I knew he would never endanger another person regardless of mood.

What I didn't account for was him acting out aggressively behind the wheel on what he thought was a safe place to do it. Right around the corner from our home, on a long, straight, dirt farm road, he did just that. There are no homes on the road. No people. No traffic. You would see a car coming from a great distance. Not so with a deer that jumped from the wooded side.

Eight days ago I got the call that is every parents' worst nightmare. My son had been in an accident was not expected to live long enough for me to get to Gainesville, where Trauma 1 had flown him to.

My son had been wearing a seatbelt and the air bag deployed. Still yet, he has a worst case scenario traumatic brain injury. Or, should I say, series of brain injuries. Half his skull was cut away to remove the blood and clot from the initial impact injury. There is damage on the opposite side where his brain hit that side of his skull. And there is shearing of brain tissue from where the brain was thrown around inside his skull.

In addition, he had broken ribs, a punctured lung, damage to his liver, spleen, and a kidney. Right ankle broken in several places. Left leg shattered. Facial fractures and all the muscles in his chest torn from chest wall.

I'm not even sure how many surgeries my son has had in the past eight days. Everything is blurred together like a bad nightmare. After the initial surgery, we were told that he was one of the most critically injured patients they had ever had there that is still alive.

Our beautiful son is on life support. He can open his eyes now. All day and all night he spends staring into space and trying to get his broken body up out of the bed. He is restrained around his chest and by the wrists to keep from hurting himself further. Every four or five minutes, he tries to get up. They can't sedate him. Sometimes he will do it every 20 seconds or so for hours on end.

Only God knows what tomorrow will bring. I am profoundly sad and every bit as broken as my son. All of our lives changed in that moment. There will never again be happiness or joy in my heart.

The moral of this story. Do whatever you have to do to make your spectrum kids get, and comply with, treatment. If they are of age and refuse, involve the legal system. Let them hate you, at least they will be safe from themselves.

I am so, so sorry that this happened. I will pray for your son and your family.

Thank you, that means a lot to me. We could use all the prayers we can get.

I hope this thread makes a difference for at least one person. Please do everything in your power to to force medically non-compliant young people to get the help they need. Without meds and counseling, spectrum young adults cannot control their moods and impulses. When they are old enough to have access to to a vehicle, they need it more than ever.

This is my son in March of this year at HS -

j289.jpg

This is my son now -

scx.jpg

of65.jpg

I am so, so sorry. :hug: Those of us with adult children with any type of disability have such a tough road. I am so sorry that this happened to your son. Thank you for sharing your story in the hopes of impressing upon other parents to do whatever it takes to keep our young adults safe.

Please know that you and your son and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

P.S. I just reread your original post; please try to not blame yourself. You had absolutely no way of knowing what would happen. Also, it seems like this was something that could've happened to anyone, at any time, on a country road. I've almost had deer run in front of me. It's scary because of the damage they can cause to people. What if your son didn't have Asperger's? Maybe he would've decided to have a crazy ride on a deserted farm dirt road, like so many people do, for fun. I hope that I'm not out of line saying this. :( But I've been seeing a psychologist for years now who has been trying to convince me to not blame myself for certain things that have happened in my older DS's life. I just hope that a miracle occurs and that your son is able to heal. Please forgive me if anything I'm saying is offensive to you; I really feel so bad and wish I could make all of the hurt and pain go away for all of our kids, and ourselves. :(

Sorry to hear this. Not sure it will help to say, but don't lose hope. Being affiliated with the military community, my husband and I have known too many people injured in horrific ways who were given virtually no chance of surviving, yet defied the odds and made miraculous recoveries. The fact that he is opening his eyes and trying to get up means there is some fight in him! Don't give up.

I am so sorry that your family is going through this! You will all be in my prayers. :hug: Please don't blame yourself. As parents of kids with special needs we question our decisions daily, but somethings are just out of your control. My heart breaks for you, but don't give up hope! We'll be praying here.

Thank you for sharing your heartbreaking story. I have an almost 10 yr old, who refuses to take his medicine, and to often when he is "just staying home" I let it slide and dont force it on him...

But i can see how this is giving him the impression that it is not MANDATORY which is how I know it should be. Thank you for a wake up call.

I Pray that your son will come through this.

Thanks to all who posted for the prayers and support. :hug: I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.

I know that many young men "hot rod" at times when they think they can get away with it. It my son's case, I know this was not the case. He was not a risk taker or thrill seeker. He was extremely cautious about everything. The only reason he would have been driving so fast would have been an angry impulse.

The day of this accident, he was agitated. There was no specific reason for his anger, he wasn't arguing with anyone. He just had terrible mood swings. He never said a word to me before he left. I was busy with my grandchildren, and only realized he was having a meltdown when I heard him rev his car engine outside, then ran over a palm plant in the yard.

This accident was a direct result of his autism and failure to have treatment. I thank God that nobody else was hurt as a result of it. I do know my son well enough to know that he would never intentionally put any other person in danger. He is a tender, loving, compassionate person under the moods. He thought he was in a place where nobody could be hurt by his actions.

It's been almost two weeks now since that horrible day. My son is still in Trauma ICU, still on a ventilator, still with an uncertain future. I spend 14 hours a day with him and 3 hours in travel so don't have much time to post here anymore.

I was so happy to sign on tonight and see that this may make a difference CuppieCake & son. The photo I posted is intensely personal and I have not shown anywhere else. I wanted to reach other parents and wanted them to see for themselves what can come of non-compliance. This place has the highest concentration of parents of autistic children that I knew of. I'm sure there are forums devoted just to autism, but I don't belong to any of them and don't have the energy to find them.

Once again, thank you for each and every reply.

I had to drop in and share this! I am so very happy today!

My son WROTE on a dry erase board today!! :yay:

When asked if he knew where he was, he wrote, "hospital sick." When asked his age he wrote, "24." A slight exaggeration on the age since he is 23 until August, but this mama is over the moon!!

Every prayer is being heard. Thanks to anyone who has prayed for Bobby.

{{hugs}} I just read about your son's accident today. It sounds like he is heading in the right direction today! Sending you and him healing thoughts :hug:.

Oh---this is one of those times I wish I could reach right through the computer, and just give you a giant hug and sit with you!!:hug:

We have 2 dd's: one with ASD, one without. Ironically it is the "normal" child who is a total pain about taking her meds. I know this is naive, but I really have no idea how you force someone to take their meds. It's like eating: I can put dinner in front of you, but I can't make you eat.

Anyway, I just don't know what you could have done differently. I'll pray for you, your family and your son.

Just wanted to wish you and your family the best.

Do not beat yourself up, since meds are not the solution for our kids, just a tool to get to a goal.

Our kids brains are so amazing, that typical prognosis mean little. so take it a day at a time.

Hang in there

So sorry to hear about your son's accident. I am glad to hear that he is making some progress. Hugs and prayers :grouphug:

I am not sure what made me click on your thread, I don't have kids at all but something made me open the thread, now I sit here crying first because of your original post and the horrendous injuries your son has sustained (I'm a nurse and understand all that you described) and then crying more from reading the wonderful news about him writing on the board and knowing what is going on, such wonderful news, I hope he continues to make progress in leaps and bounds! Prayers being sent out to you and your son for as full a recovery as possible, he might never be the same but to lose him so young would be heart wrenching for you.

When asked if he knew where he was, he wrote, "hospital sick." When asked his age he wrote, "24." A slight exaggeration on the age since he is 23 until August, but this mama is over the moon!!

I am so happy to hear this! Every small step forward is a blessing. Continued hugs and prayers..

:yay: Oh, you must be so thrilled. It sounds like he's "all at home" in there, despite his terrible injuries. I know he has a long, hard road ahead of him but this is the best news I've heard all day.

I just saw your thread tonight and my heart breaks for you. I have an adult son, 27yo, who has bipolar 1, for which he refuses all treatment. I never know what his mood is going to be and honestly, I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I hope, I HOPE I never get "that call".

I can't quote all the replies on this thread since the board won't let me do it all in one post. But, I want everyone to know that I have read every word written many times over. My heartfelt appreciation to everyone who has said prayers and sent good wishes.

There is happy news to report about my son. He left the Trauma ICU and moved to a regular hospital room after 22 days. He is completely off the ventilator, just getting oxygen support via his trach. We are waiting on a bed to come available at our rehabilitation center of choice. That is slated for July 27th, but we are praying for sooner, as that often happens.

As far as his TBI, he is at Rancho Level 6. Woo Hoo!!! For those of you not familiar, it is a scale they use to rate the different phases of recovery from brain injury. Level 6 is further than we had ever dared to hope for and he is making progress literally every single day.

We are so very blessed.

minkydog, I don't know your son's name, but God does. I will absolutely be praying for him and you.

What a great update! I am so happy to hear that your son is responding so well! Sometimes the more critical level of care at the hospital is a better fit than a rehab center. My mom has been through hospitalization & rehab twice and her quality of care was better in the hospital than in rehab, so waiting a few weeks for the rehab isn't a bad thing. Once there, it will be tough but you will have to be his advocate through this process. I felt that a lot of the rehab on my mom's part was on "auto-pilot" until her Medicare supplemental insurance ran out at 100 days.

Continued good thoughts go out to you and your whole family.

Awesome update, continued prayers for you and your son!

Thanks so much!

What a great update! I am so happy to hear that your son is responding so well! Sometimes the more critical level of care at the hospital is a better fit than a rehab center. My mom has been through hospitalization & rehab twice and her quality of care was better in the hospital than in rehab, so waiting a few weeks for the rehab isn't a bad thing. Once there, it will be tough but you will have to be his advocate through this process. I felt that a lot of the rehab on my mom's part was on "auto-pilot" until her Medicare supplemental insurance ran out at 100 days.

Continued good thoughts go out to you and your whole family.

I make sure my son gets the best care by being here 24/7. :) I know that is not possible for most families and I am so thankful that I am able to do it. I tend to all my son's personal care and non-drug related nursing care around the clock. As soon as it was clear that my son would survive, I wanted to learn to care for him as much as possible. The doctors gave their blessing and the nurses and therapists were more than willing to train me.

We are waiting on a private room at the rehab and I will be there with him also. There are two places that are currently have openings, but I've done my homework and waiting on the best. :thumbsup2

At his current stage of recovery, I can't imagine him being here alone. It takes him about 30 minutes to bridge from asleep to awake and thinks his nightmares are actually happening. I can only imagine it would be even more terrifying without a familiar face here to wipe his face with a cool cloth and gently talk him through it. He would be restrained if I wasn't here. :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter