• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Arrival day plans or plan for downtime?

smallsy

DIS Veteran
Do you make plans for later afternoon arrival days or just plan for downtime?

We will be driving from SC and hope to arrive at the Poly between 3-4pm. Kids are 4,2,2. We originally planned on just hanging out at the resort, but since there's a MNSSHP that evening we are considering sneaking in some extra park time during the party if it doesn't sell out. Part of me thinks they'll need chill time, but then part of me also thinks maybe they'll need to let loose after being cooped up in the car for 7+ hours.

Your kids will probably need to let loose, but I'm not sure I'd spend the money for MNSSHP in case there's an epic meltdown in the evening. I would probably have them let loose at the pool and any afternoon activities at the resort, and then get back on track with an early-ish bedtime for an early start the next day.

I think with little ones it's always best to play it by ear. You just never know if they are going to be too tired after being in the car all day or wired and ready to get out. With the party you aren't going to have the ability to play it by ear though since the tickets should be bought in advance, that's not saying they can't be bought when you get there, I don't know if they have been selling out or not. My son was an active little boy and at that age he was ready to go to a park as soon as we arrived, we drive down from Georgia so it's about a 7 1/2 hour drive for us. I don't know if I would have taken him to a party after that drive though, I'm just not sure how much he would have enjoyed it and when he would have bombed out. You really just have to know your kids to make that decision.

Thanks. We'll probably stick to our original plan then to just hang out at the resort. IF the kids seem up to it and IF there are tickets left we may try the party. I'll pack some costumes just in case.

A very strong vote for park time. They're going to be sitting in the car for 7+ hours, that's a whole lot of "chilling" time. You're arriving at a very decent hour, it's not like it's late at night. You're going there for WDW, not to see a hotel room...or hotel swimming pool. I'm not saying you should stay out until midnight, but I'd unquestionably hit the parks for a few hours. If nothing else, it'll give the kids a taste of what's to come and get them even more excited for it.

We live in Atlanta now, so we're about a 7-8 hour drive. We usually leave after work hours, so we don't arrive until very late at night. So right now, it's a moot point. But until a few years ago, we lived in PA and we always flew down. We'd get an early am flight and got to our rental house (we stay offsite) by early afternoon. We always went straight to the parks. I'd feel like we're wasting time...and money...if we just stayed at the pool.

My kids are the same age, we're arriving Easter Sunday 4/1 in the early afternoon. We plan on just spending the afternoon at the resort and in the pool. Trying to go to the park would be a waste of money for us and a good chance at meltdowns after traveling all day.

I always do a park day on arrival day. Last year we didn't get to AKL until 3:30. By the time we checked in and freshened up in the room, we got to DHS at 5:00 and stayed until close. The kids had a blast and there were no meltdowns. There probably would have been had we NOT gone to a park!

Now that DS is older, we usually go to a park on our first evening. But we never did when he was little. A late night was just too much after a travel day, and it would mess up the next day.

With kids that young I'd stay at the resort after arriving, and let loose at the pool. Then venture to Disney Springs for dinner later in the evening.

I, too, would let them loose at the resort. There's a great splash pad area for kids and they will have evening activities as well. If you need to move around a little more, you could always take the path over to GF and explore a little or even take a monorail ride. If you want to go further afield, you could monorail to MK and take a boat over to Ft. W to play on the playground and see the horses at the stable (they have pony rides for little ones, but I'm not sure what the hours are). There's also a Chip and Dale sing-a-long at Ft. W.

With the family trip we will be arriving late. A trip to guest services to activate my AP and get a DAS for my great nephew, maybe a trip to DTD. But on my solo trip I will get there earlier in the day and plan to go to Food & Wine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter