• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are You, Or Have You Ever Been, A Member Of A Fraternal Society (Like The Masons)?

My dad and grandfather were masons, my grandfather a grand master. My grandmother and aunts were eastern star. When my grandparents passed, there were tons of masons and eastern star there.
I have an elderly aunt who was in Eastern Star. I had never heard of it until she was in it. She was the head person in it (can't remember what the name of the position was).

I've been a Girl Scout leader - does that count? ;)

I have family that are / were Masons and Eastern Stars and I've been invited to join Eastern Stars from other people I know, but I just don't have time to take on more activities and meetings. Maybe when the kids are grown.

My dad was a Lion for many years and really enjoyed it. They had a fish fry every year to raise scholarship money and he really looked forward to it. They also worked the gate at the State Fair to raise money for something and he enjoyed that too. He was President for a few years and was Lion of the Year too.

I have heard the story over the years that my dad once joined a club to get free parking for his job. You had to pay to park where he worked , but this club had a parking lot next to his job and members could park there for free. Free always worked for my dad!

DH isn't a joiner.

Never heard of "Eagles" as a fraternal order.

I was a Rainbow Girl for two years. It was fun, although a bit spooky ;)

https://www.gorainbow.org/

I was also involved in Girl Scouts of America for many years, as a scout, a leader, and a council member.

Now I'm a union rep - does that count? ;)

And I've thought of joining DAR. Got an ancestor shot at the battle of Lexington/Concord.

Yep!

I always thought "Demolay" sounds like the name of some ancient Mesopotamian demon!*

*I'm not saying Masonry is demonic. I just think the name is weird.

DeMolay is named after Jacques DeMolay, the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar.

I grew up in a girls organization similar to Jobs Daughters and Rainbow, called The Organization of Triangles. It is only found in New York and was originally called The Daughters of the Easter Star.

I am now a member of Easter Star and Amaranth although I'm really only active in Eastern Star.

If anybody has any questions, I can try to answer them. =)

My dad was in the Knights of Columbus. I still have no idea what they did.

Mine too! I know most of his neighborhood/church friends were also. I remember alot of get togethers with the group. My mom is in a few groups too - Rosary Society thru church and I believe something called Columbiettes (sp?) which I always thought was a female version of the Knights of Columbus but I don't really know - lol.

I was a girl scout leader when my dd was younger.

I was active as Rainbow Girl (The International Order of the Rainbow for Girls) when I was younger. Now, my daughter is active and I am on the advisory board of her assembly. She is an officer at the state level, and we travel throughout the state, and visit other states as well. The friendships and lessons of service & leadership are priceless.

As a devout Catholic, it is forbidden to enlist in such a "society". I'll leave it at that.
I'm Catholic, and I was a rainbow girl. My moms family was Catholic (grandparents attended daily Mass, mom was a nun at one point), but my dad's family was Methodist, and very involved Masons.

Based on what I've read, joining a fraternal or secret society will open the doors to a world you didn't know existed that goes back centuries in which you'll learn about arcane Eastern mysticism, where the Templars hid their riches from the Crusades, how the Rosicrucians used alchemy to transmute base metals into gold, the way the Illuminati secretly controls the world's governments, and how your organization is an essential part of those traditions. Umberto Eco will even write international historical thrillers about your membership.

On the other hand, it may just be potluck dinners every other Tuesday and a lot of drinking. Depending on your preferences, one of these scenarios is probably a lot cooler than the other one, but only you'll know the answer to that.

I'm Catholic, and I was a rainbow girl. My moms family was Catholic (grandparents attended daily Mass, mom was a nun at one point), but my dad's family was Methodist, and very involved Masons.
According to the Vatican, it is prohibited and subject to ex-communication.YMMV.

Oh I forgot, my grandfather was a Mason.

I don't know if it counts or not, but I was in Boy Scouts, den leader for my son's den, when he was a Webalo. No one else volunteered for it, so I did. It was quite interesting and fun to be around the boys. I think I learned more from them than they did from me.

As a devout Catholic, it is forbidden to enlist in such a "society". I'll leave it at that.
War is over in the early 1900 Catholics were threaten with excommunication from a old edict of Rome for being a Mason and Catholic that was dropped in the 40s. This still comes up with primarily Hispanic Catholics (still outdated). Yes I am Catholic and a Master Mason and work with Rainbow girls which turned 100 years old in 2020. Only requirement for Masons or affiliate groups is FAITH. The rainbow the symbol of the rainbow girls was adopted by the gays overtime. The rainbows patented a modify rainbow as their offical logo x5 years ago. Their is NO Masonic affiliation requirerment for either girls or boy groups. Also all Shriners are Mason!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter