Are we all 'skinny challenged' compared to the world?

I have the exact same thing with DS & felt the same way you did before. His is definitely texture & anxiety. He actually won’t even eat chicken nuggets! It’s mostly peanut butter & bread.
It’s not always the typical foods kids will go for too when the picky issue is texture. Yes my son loves his chicken nuggets. But he won’t eat ice cream. 🤣🤣Milk is too “thick” for him, as is anything mushy. Try feeding him as a baby. Flipping nightmare. Its a wonder I made it all the way through raising my children 100% sober.

It’s not always the typical foods kids will go for too when the picky issue is texture. Yes my son loves his chicken nuggets. But he won’t eat ice cream. 🤣🤣Milk is too “thick” for him, as is anything mushy. Try feeding him as a baby. Flipping nightmare. Its a wonder I made it all the way through raising my children 100% sober.
lol. DS doesn’t like ice cream either b/c it’s “cold” 🙄. Funny thing is he was better as a baby. He gets in his own head now!

One grandson took forever to wean from breastfeeding. Mom was getting worn out with it. Then after a year or so the doctors said he wasn’t growing properly so she needed to track his calories and give him supplements. They wanted to label him failure to thrive. Honestly he wasn’t really what I would call skinny. Her kids were just petite. It was stressful though. Now he’s 14 and fairly tall, but thin. Perfectly healthy though.

Speaking from first hand experience, picky eaters are born that way.
FWIW, I've seen it work both ways. I was a very picky kid, but something flipped in my brain around 18 and now I'll eat just about anything.* DS would eat just about anything** as a kid but his window as an adult is very, very narrow, for some reason.

To the subject of the thread, I noticed I lost 4 pounds after a 10-day trip to London, in spite of eating a good bit of pub food. We definitely got our steps in, and I'm sure that's one reason why Europeans generally are less obese than Americans.

*--I won't eat organs, bugs or boiled eggs. The smell and texture of boiled eggs grosses me out, for some reason.

**--DS would eat anything except mushrooms or nuts.

Last edited:
I think alot has to do with how food is prepared.I hated brussel sprouts as a kids.. hated them!! they were mushy boiled.... as an adult I love them but I fry them in a pan with almonds in halves with lemon oil or spicy sweet.... it's a totally different veggie that way

I think alot has to do with how food is prepared.I hated brussel sprouts as a kids.. hated them!! they were mushy boiled.... as an adult I love them but I fry them in a pan with almonds in halves with lemon oil or spicy sweet.... it's a totally different veggie that way
We love them plain fried in garlic butter. I clean, cut in half, par boil first then sear them in butter. I love it when they start to burn and the leaves start to fall off and get crispy. :-) It's one of my favorite vegetables. I always want to try adding different things like bacon, shallots but plain and crispy is so nice... lol

Brussels sprouts have actually been engineered to taste better since the 90's, too. Lots of selective breeding to reduce the bitterness.

We love them plain fried in garlic butter. I clean, cut in half, par boil first then sear them in butter. I love it when they start to burn and the leaves start to fall off and get crispy. :-) It's one of my favorite vegetables. I always want to try adding different things like bacon, shallots but plain and crispy is so nice... lol
I love these, too! We roast them at a high temp with olive oil, garlic, chopped onion and bacon bits so they get a little bit burnt. Yummy!

One of the most common thing for Americans to notice when they visit Disneyland Paris is smoking. Often mentioned as the #1 downside of the park.

And I wouldn't be surprised if that correlates with the French being skinnier ;)

Although, when i used to work for a French Dutch company, we had a French colleague coming over to NL to give us a training. We graze, in NL it is common to have snacks on your desks or at the office and eat all day. So we did during training. The French colleague was almost appalled and had to mention it to us in class. Later I noticed, my French colleagues seemed to stick to 3 bigger meals during the day, without snacking.
Except someone else being fat does not impact my health. Someone lighting up a ciggie next to me waiting for the fireworks is going to cause an asthma attack.

Just wanted to add, that sugar isn’t the only thing we’re eating that is bad for us and killing us slowly… slow enough to get a ton of meds sales first. ;)

Update

This just out from the British Heart Foundation

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...t-foundation-experts-government-b2476031.html

A new study funded by the British Heart Foundation (BHF) found that youngsters who had a higher calorie intake, plus more sugar and fat, had stiffer arteries when they were 17 than those whose diets were healthier.

Furthermore, children who ate a Mediterranean-style diet rich in vegetables, fruit, beans and pulses, fish and less meat had less stiff arteries aged 17.

Our research highlights the importance of developing well-balanced eating habits from childhood to reduce the risk of future heart problems.

Stiffness in the arteries is an important early marker of damage and is caused by a loss of elastic fibres and stiffer collagen fibres in the vessels, increasing the risk of high blood pressure, strokes and heart attacks.

When looking at Mediterranean-style diets, experts also found that children who ate more foods like fish, vegetables, fruit and beans had reduced arterial stiffness at 17.

Consuming anti-inflammatory foods aged 10 (such vegetables and fruit, particularly berries, and a variety of brightly coloured vegetables, as well as nuts, seeds, spices and seafood) also led to less artery stiffness.

Dr Genevieve Buckland, BHF research fellow at Bristol Medical School, University of Bristol, who led the research, told the PA news agency: “Children will be more likely to get all the nutrients they need and not consume excessive calories if they eat lots of fruit and vegetables, plus high fibre starchy foods like wholegrain bread, and brown pasta and rice, along with lean protein.

“UK dietary guidelines also recommend avoiding high fat and sugary processed foods as much as possible, because they are often calorie-dense and nutrient-poor.”

She added: “Our research highlights the importance of developing well-balanced eating habits from childhood to reduce the risk of future heart problems.”

The results of this study suggest that, to stop heart disease in its tracks, improving people’s diets has to start early and be lifelong.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'd think Americans are bigger due to eating more processed foods. Lack of fiber, more sugar, etc.

If you haven't watched the Netflix documentary You Are What You Eat, I highly suggest it.

I'm neither a vegan nor a vegetarian, but this documentary really made me think. If nothing else I have become much more focused on buying more humane food. From now on I'll only buy pasture raised meat and fresh caught fish. Same with any food derived from animals (like eggs, for example). I'm not sure I'd ever give up meat/fish, but I will be cutting way back.

Once I watched the chicken farmer in the doc, I can't go back to shopping the way I once did.

Once I watched the chicken farmer in the doc, I can't go back to shopping the way I once did.
I don’t have Netflix but have seen other docs and read articles about agri big business down through the years. The upshot is I eat less animal protein and am willing to pay more for whatever I do buy to ensure it’s raised more humanely and cleaner.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'd think Americans are bigger due to eating more processed foods. Lack of fiber, more sugar, etc.

If you haven't watched the Netflix documentary You Are What You Eat, I highly suggest it.

I'm neither a vegan nor a vegetarian, but this documentary really made me think. If nothing else I have become much more focused on buying more humane food. From now on I'll only buy pasture raised meat and fresh caught fish. Same with any food derived from animals (like eggs, for example). I'm not sure I'd ever give up meat/fish, but I will be cutting way back.

I made this same recommendation on the other thread, if you liked You Are What You Eat then you should check out The Game Changers. It’s on Netflix by the same people. I’ve seen a lot of food documentaries over the years but this one blew me away.

Our started a thread last week about that documentary. Someone on that thread recommended watching Game Changers on Netflix which was done by the same people but they thought it was better. It's about athletes but it's really a very good documentary. Done in one longer episode and much more fast-moving. I really enjoyed that one also.

ETA: It was @TipsyTraveler who recommended it.

There are a lot of documentaries out there, so take any and all with a grain of salt (pun intended). There is usually a common denominator in most of them, and that is processed and just not real food.

Sort of unrelated…
YouTube suggested this video to me last night and at first I was just curious, but after watching I’m glad I did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter