Are we all 'skinny challenged' compared to the world?

Yeah, I was in London in June 1976 during a heat wave and the only cold drink we could find was lemonade shandy, a lemonade beer mix. Also amazed that our hotel, the Hilton, did not have air conditioning or a pool.
I'll pass on the ice. My wife and I frequently order soft drinks without ice. The 38 degrees soda is dispensed at is plenty cold for us, and I am paying for soda, not ice.
Soda without ice is too syrupy sweet. It needs the ice to water it down a little.
On a different day we got bottled sodas from a grocery store fridge and it just didn't hit the spot at all. Not cold enough, too sweet.

Giant ice-filled drinks with free refills are what I miss the most when traveling outside the US.
When we were in Spain in the spring, it was hot as heck walking around Sevilla and we were so excited to be able to get a giant (almost 1L cup) Coke from a Burger King. We each got our own, half filled it with ice, and pounded it in about 10 minutes. We wound up at Starbucks a few times in Cordoba because it was the only place to get a drink with ice, and even then they were too small.
I hope you had a bathroom nearby! 💩 Coke is better than laxatives whether you need it or not! :laughing:
True, but the French fare far better than we do with respect to life expectancy. French men live over six years longer....and French women over 5 years longer. The europeans are far better (as a whole) at moderation than we are.
If true then I’m sure, as others have mentioned, that there are other factors to consider, as well, like Mediterranean diet, more exercise and perhaps less stressful lifestyles and such that play a part in life expectancy, as well.

Let’s not forget the studies that were done on deceased young 20-something men in the Vietnam era looking at their coronary arteries. The American servicemen had the beginnings of coronary artery disease, whereas the Vietnamese did not. Even back in the 60s our diets were going downhill compared to much of the rest of the world. And things have gotten so much worse since then. 😟 (This is the type of thing that, as a long term cardiac nurse, really bothers me about the recipes I was talking about last night that are so full of excess butter and salt, cheese, ugh! We need to protect our childrens’ and our own heart health starting at a young age!)

Smoking, however, continues to be a significant modifiable risk factor for not just heart disease, but many diseases like cancer, peripheral artery disease, and others, and a surprising number of people still smoke.
Since NYC transit changed the pricing system I’ve noted a higher number of larger people coming from the outer boroughs. Until the late ‘90s you paid to transfer from a bus to subway so a lot of people walked the shorter route to save money.Now you see people jump on transit to go one or two stops
And school buses in suburbia stop at almost every street corner.

Our standards of what “looks unhealthy” have dropped over the years. When I look at photos of the so-called “fat kids“ from when we were in grammar school (70s) they don’t seem all that fat by today’s standard average kid.

Remember when a large (single serving!) Coke at McDonald’s was 16oz, and looked HUGE?
100 years ago a "circus freak" Fat Man weighed much less than some of our larger population today.

Last edited:
One of the causes is of obesity:
Bad food is cheaper than healthy food.

I work for a health-related charity, we just did a campaign where we investigated things like this. Science says that 80% of food/drinks in our supermarket are not really a healthy option. That is scary when you think of it.

What should be taught (preferably in school so everyone gets the information) is how to read labels on food, how to determine if something is healthy.
Bad food tastes good and is much easier to get.
And is engineered to be so. ;)

I hope you had a bathroom nearby! 💩 Coke is better than laxatives whether you need it or not! :laughing:

If true then I’m sure, as others have mentioned, that there are other factors to consider, as well, like Mediterranean diet, more exercise and perhaps less stressful lifestyles and such that play a part in life expectancy, as well.

Let’s not forget the studies that were done on deceased young 20-something men in the Vietnam era looking at their coronary arteries. The American servicemen had the beginnings of coronary artery disease, whereas the Vietnamese did not. Even back in the 60s our diets were going downhill compared to much of the rest of the world. And things have gotten so much worse since then. 😟 (This is the type of thing that, as a long term cardiac nurse, really bothers me about the recipes I was talking about last night that are so full of excess butter and salt, cheese, ugh! We need to protect our childrens’ and our own heart health starting at a young age!)

Smoking, however, continues to be a significant modifiable risk factor for not just heart disease, but many diseases like cancer, peripheral artery disease, and others, and a surprising number of people still smoke.

And school buses in suburbia stop at almost every street corner.
Ah I remember those studies from the 60s. We were eating more simply then (not all the processed foods) but our diets, compared to say Viet Nam, were much more "meat" centric and I think that's where a lot of the differences came from. My friend is from Viet Nam and just went back to visit her father and brought some steaks over there on her trip. Not that they don't have it there, but it's very expensive and not as easy to obtain. But I digress...these days I am concerned with many of the "diets" out there which advocate a lot of meat products. I wonder what impact they have even with weight loss to go with them.

Ah I remember those studies from the 60s. We were eating more simply then (not all the processed foods) but our diets, compared to say Viet Nam, were much more "meat" centric and I think that's where a lot of the differences came from. My friend is from Viet Nam and just went back to visit her father and brought some steaks over there on her trip. Not that they don't have it there, but it's very expensive and not as easy to obtain. But I digress...these days I am concerned with many of the "diets" out there which advocate a lot of meat products. I wonder what impact they have even with weight loss to go with them.
It's not the addition of meat, or the amount of meat, its the processed food & other garbage that makes meat out to be the bad guy. If you eat lots of meat, but no garbage to cause issues, you can not only lose weight (or gain if underweight because it is sort of a weight correction diet, not weight loss diet)

Not that I know anything about this website (or Dr. Kiltz), it was just one that came up upon quick search, but there are a lot of examples of doing it right leading to much improved health, especially with diabetes, thyroid issues, high blood pressure, under or overweight, etc.
https://www.doctorkiltz.com/carnivore-diet-before-and-after-pictures (may be a bad example. lol)

I've seen many results from people that have been doing it for 10+ years and still remain healthy and health issues reversed, but its true it could have some other issues decades down the road, but for some that are miserable and unhealthy now, how can that be a bad thing?

It's not the addition of meat, or the amount of meat, its the processed food & other garbage that makes meat out to be the bad guy. If you eat lots of meat, but no garbage to cause issues, you can not only lose weight (or gain if underweight because it is sort of a weight correction diet, not weight loss diet)

Not that I know anything about this website (or Dr. Kiltz), it was just one that came up upon quick search, but there are a lot of examples of doing it right leading to much improved health, especially with diabetes, thyroid issues, high blood pressure, under or overweight, etc.
https://www.doctorkiltz.com/carnivore-diet-before-and-after-pictures

I've seen many results from people that have been doing it for 10+ years and still remain healthy and health issues reversed, but its true it could have some other issues decades down the road, but for some that are miserable and unhealthy now, how can that be a bad thing?
Yes, I've read some of those reports also that there isn't such a negative effect. But thinking back to the 1960s and where they did autopsies on soldiers (who were most likely born in the 1940s and raised in the 50s, there wasn't all that "garbage" combined with the meat. There really wasn't. So not sure where the disconnect is between our soldiers and Vietnamese soldiers. I'm going to go with probably MUCH more plants in the diet.

Yes, I've read some of those reports also that there isn't such a negative effect. But thinking back to the 1960s and where they did autopsies on soldiers (who were most likely born in the 1940s and raised in the 50s, there wasn't all that "garbage" combined with the meat. There really wasn't. So not sure where the disconnect is between our soldiers and Vietnamese soldiers. I'm going to go with probably MUCH more plants in the diet.
Yea, i would agree the garbage was almost nonexistent then, so in that time frame it would likely be something different... more plants here or there? and are you thinking people were more or less healthy in the 50's here or there?

Yea, i would agree the garbage was almost nonexistent then, so in that time frame it would likely be something different... more plants here or there? and are you thinking people were more or less healthy in the 50's here or there?
I think Vietnam has had a long standing plant-based diet. We have not. But I think in the 50s/60s, our diets were more healthy in the U.S. and apparently, even then, our arteries weren't looking good. So while i believe we had much less garbage in the 50s/60s, I'm not sure that much of the population had healthy plant/veggie options back then. We do know that the country was very meat-centric (mostly beef) back then.

I can say that while I eat lots more junk now than I did as a child in the 60s, I don't think I ate as many fresh veggies and fruits back then as I do now. Sure, seasonally I did. We didn't have the availability back then all year round of many fruits and vegetables as we do know. Lots of stuff we ate was canned.

I haven't read the entire thread, but there's a number of factors that contribute to this (ALL IMO)

- Less activity/walking to places. Everything in most cities requires a car
- Unhealthy foods are WAY cheaper than healthy ones and with a lot of people having to budget foods that contributes
- Sedentary jobs
- Processed foods with lots of additives
....but the MAIN factor I believe is to do with vilifying one thing (fat and calories) and those being replaced with sugar to make up for it. Sugar (and overall carbs) is in TONS of things now because it makes for cheap and easy flavoring that people become addicted to.

The history of this is pointed out specifically after President Eisenhower suffered a heart attack and the subsequent research that followed and led America to possibly the wrong conclusion:

https://www.bu.edu/articles/2016/when-science-and-industry-collide/

I haven't read the entire thread, but there's a number of factors that contribute to this (ALL IMO)

- Less activity/walking to places. Everything in most cities requires a car
- Unhealthy foods are WAY cheaper than healthy ones and with a lot of people having to budget foods that contributes
- Sedentary jobs
- Processed foods with lots of additives
....but the MAIN factor I believe is to do with vilifying one thing (fat and calories) and those being replaced with sugar to make up for it. Sugar (and overall carbs) is in TONS of things now because it makes for cheap and easy flavoring that people become addicted to.

The history of this is pointed out specifically after President Eisenhower suffered a heart attack and the subsequent research that followed and led America to possibly the wrong conclusion:

https://www.bu.edu/articles/2016/when-science-and-industry-collide/
I agree, but I think there are also other things we need to look at.

Like how we, as a society, approach these things.

Just off the top of my head, thinking of some of the discussion we’ve had here.

@TipsyTraveler posted an awesome poster she’d seen in Japan. Why don’t we have those around in more places? I know we have them at my doctor’s office, in the rooms, but few probably pay much attention to them. Why not have them posted in more public places? Would people get offended?

I remember discussions here about BMI. (Even assuming it’s worthless, it is still used.) If a school sends home a warning that a kid’s BMI is high, what happens? Parents get upset. I got that notification once with my son, that he was approaching the limit, and I felt upset, too. How could that be? He was “skinny”! Well, he was short, and about to have a growth spurt, so those numbers together put him at risk. But maybe we should not get upset but say what can we do about this, if it is really an issue? And if it is, work with it. As a family. When I counsel patients on decreasing cardiac risk factors, I like to include the family, if possible, because if everyone’s involved, there’s more motivation and cooperation.

We have to balance safety with practicality. An example: school buses. Why do they stop at every corner? Well, because there have been lawsuits when children have gotten run over by buses. And then we had the Adam Walsh generation and people are fearful of abuctions. Are crime rates the same here as they are elsewhere?

We have to balance safety with practicality. An example: school buses. Why do they stop at every corner? Well, because there have been lawsuits when children have gotten run over by buses. And then we had the Adam Walsh generation and people are fearful of abuctions. Are crime rates the same here as they are elsewhere?
There is an elementary school that is about 10 minutes walk from my house (depending on how fast of a walker you are) but there is still a bus that picks kids up in my neighborhood and drops them off at the school. For a while, there wasn't a bus and kids were supposed to walk down a wooded path, which wasn't lit and could get really dark at night. I was reading the cesspool that was Nextdoor at the time and parents were complaining so much about the path potentially being dangerous and kids could get abducted or robbed. Eventually after some back and forth between the parents and whoever controls the busses, a bus now comes by and picks the kids up to bring them to the school.

No one has ever been abducted or robbed on the path btw. Not saying it couldn't happen but as of right now it hasn't.

https://www.doctorkiltz.com/carnivore-diet-before-and-after-pictures (may be a bad example. lol)

I have agreed with every one of your posts!! It's not the meat, butter or animal fats doing the damage. It's the rancid seed oils, sugar and processed foods. Most people don't believe that though as it goes against the narrative. We might be living longer, but it is not a long-term quality of life. Many people are becoming more animal based (not on this board, but in general that I have seen outside of this board) and improving their quality of life and health markers.

@TipsyTraveler posted an awesome poster she’d seen in Japan. Why don’t we have those around in more places? I know we have them at my doctor’s office, in the rooms, but few probably pay much attention to them. Why not have them posted in more public places? Would people get offended?

I remember discussions here about BMI. (Even assuming it’s worthless, it is still used.) If a school sends home a warning that a kid’s BMI is high, what happens? Parents get upset. I got that notification once with my son, that he was approaching the limit, and I felt upset, too. How could that be? He was “skinny”! Well, he was short, and about to have a growth spurt, so those numbers together put him at risk. But maybe we should not get upset but say what can we do about this, if it is really an issue? And if it is, work with it. As a family. When I counsel patients on decreasing cardiac risk factors, I like to include the family, if possible, because if everyone’s involved, there’s more motivation and cooperation.

Japan has a wildy different situation overall. In that case I do believe there are genetics at play that lead to Japanese (and most asian people) to be less obese, even if they live in the U.S.

But having been to Japan on 6 occasions, I also know there's TONS of walking, stairs, etc. on a commute and lots of very fresh, healthy foods for cheap (for the most part, imported fruits can be very pricey)

There was also a lot of lard used in the cooking and baking of everyday foods, besides eating meat.
Yea, my mom always says how they had a coffee can of bacon grease on the stove top for cooking, & her dad lived to be 98.

We have to balance safety with practicality. An example: school buses. Why do they stop at every corner? Well, because there have been lawsuits when children have gotten run over by buses. And then we had the Adam Walsh generation and people are fearful of abductions. Are crime rates the same here as they are elsewhere?
Same reason we allow advertising of prescription meds.. Big Pharma. ;)
Same reason our fries contain 14 ingredients (and only 4 in the UK)
Same reason water cost 4x what a soda cost.

We do things here for profit, not for good of the community. Unfortunately.

I wish I was as fat as the first time I thought I was fat. :laughing:
I remember woefully looking at my belly slightly pooching back in high school and being horrified. When I look at pictures of myself in a bathing suit back then I am honestly wondering *** my issue was because I looked AMAZING :rotfl2:
Thinking specifically about Japanese Breakfast where you'd get a miso soup with veggies and tofu, rice, a piece of fish, a raw egg, some rice and 2-3 different vegetable side dishes. Of course not everybody there eats like that but our equal would be a fat/carb/sugar bomb with eggs, sausage or bacon or both, toast, hashbrowns, a waffle pancake or french toast etc. - even the Brits have their fry up that is nothing like what a big "asian" breakfast would be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter