Are the exit signs in the little mermaid ride made of tritium?

Mommytofourkids

Mouseketeer
We were on the little mermaid ride at CA Adventure today, and the ride malfunctioned so our clamshell stopped in front of an exit sign for a few minutes. The exit signs are red but this one wasn’t glowing , I read online that a lot of exit signs are made of tritium(radioactive) and if they break, they not only stop glowing but they also release tritium into the air. Worried because my kids were with me.. not sure who I can ask about this... as when I call or email Disneyland, I never get a response.

Given California's intense concern regarding things they feel have the tiniest chance of causing cancer, the chances are pretty darned low. Why didn't you go and ask while you were there?

There are things that just aren’t worth worrying about and this is probably one of them. If tritium were used in this particular circumstance, any possible exposure is likely to be quite small. But if you want to pursue, you could, of course, reach out to guest services.

I would not conclude that a ride malfunction was the cause of the stop. It could just as easily have been loading/unloading of a disabled guest. Also, if the exit sign was in an area easily accessed by maintenance, it likely was not glowing because the light inside was simply burned out. Tritium signs are several times the cost of a regular electrically powered sign, and would not be used in an area easily accessed by maintenance. Since you could see it along the ride track, one would assume maintenance could access it easily.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter