Are reservations really necessary?

Well that makes me feel less crazy at least! We might have gone right after they made the switch—in fact I could have sworn that it said the same thing on the universal website. Anyhoo good to know that there is a different option now (might have been nice if the hotel told us about it) but we’re still going to make reservations rather than leave it to chance what the concierge can get us.
That's why these threads can be great to bring to attention updated information :)

FWIW if the change happened in 2017 or 2018 it's been quite a few years since then, perhaps you have not been since 2017 or 2018.

Although it can be jerky, I would suggest never skipping Spiderman. A revolutionary use of technology when it opened, even 25 years later it remains a brilliant ride.

RRR is the roughest coaster in the parks for sure. Plus they have seemingly cut back significantly on the playlist. But don't avoid it because of the restraint system - it's as safe as any ride out there.

BTW if you're looking at a comparison for roughness based on your experience, nothing at UO comes close to SOB. Then again, very few things ever built are in it's league for that. In fact, The Beast is probably rougher than any ride at UO.

But people often conflate roughness with causing nausea. The Hulk, for example, may bang your head a bit (it has over the shoulder harnesses) and you might get a sore neck or a bit of a headache, but it won't make many people sick. The Simpsons, or Forbidden Journey, are more likely to do that, because of their back and forth motion. We love both those rides (although we do often skip the Simpsons if the line is long) but I try not to ride either of them first thing in the AM.

OP - I haven't really touched on your original question about reservations/wait times. As I posted in another recent thread where someone familiar with Disney was asking about a planning strategy for Universal:

"I'm the planner. My (actual, real) OCD comes in handy I must say with Disney. I have guided us though three completely different ride booking systems - paper Fastpasses, MBs, and now Genie. Master of the refresh, using my wife's phone to watch time.gov, LLs, VQs, I've become an expert in everything. Have advised several other Canadian families on how to tackle what is frankly a byzantine, often overwhelming process - even written out itineraries for them.

For Universal, these are my strategies (which work year 'round - we just spent Christmas break there, which is super high season, but usually go when schools are back for the locals, like late August, or even September). Follow these steps carefully, and you're assured of a low-stress, go-with-the-flow vacation, with plenty of time to do everything you want, with maybe just a little planning set aside for Hagrid's.

Ready? Here goes:

1. Book a stay at a hotel with EPs.

That is all."
OK that is such a relief on nothing being comparable to son of the beast. I think I’m definitely going to have to try Spider-Man anyway. The only thing I ever hated at Disney was that Mission ride where they sealed you in a small capsule type thing. I don’t love vertical inclines, but I hate small spaces. I’m so excited to have a more laid-back kind of park experience.

That's why these threads can be great to bring to attention updated information :)

FWIW if the change happened in 2017 or 2018 it's been quite a few years since then, perhaps you have not been since 2017 or 2018.
So hilariously, I just called in to the dining reservation phone line to make a reservation for a large party I couldn’t book online (we’re meeting some friends for dinner next trip), and the person on the phone said “You know, since you are staying at Portofino Bay, you get priority waitlist for walk ups at restaurants, so if the waitlist is around 45 minutes, you’ll get in after around 15 minutes.” I nearly laughed out loud. I don’t think anyone really knows how this works any more!

So hilariously, I just called in to the dining reservation phone line to make a reservation for a large party I couldn’t book online (we’re meeting some friends for dinner next trip), and the person on the phone said “You know, since you are staying at Portofino Bay, you get priority waitlist for walk ups at restaurants, so if the waitlist is around 45 minutes, you’ll get in after around 15 minutes.” I nearly laughed out loud. I don’t think anyone really knows how this works any more!
I wouldn't go by phone reps anymore than anyone does at Disney and I was an Underwriting at an insurance call center for years :rotfl:

Unfortunately that employee would be working off old information---should probably get the memo :upsidedow

Reminds me of one of the DISer friends we have a chat going with who just a few weeks ago was at evening EMH and was told that Riviera was not a qualifying resort and then doubled-down by saying it wasn't even a Deluxe resort based on the list she had! And this was in person :oops: so the DISer friend pulls it up on her phone to show her it did indeed qualify. I can't imagine how many people that CM was upsetting that night :sad2:

We didn't make reservations before we went, mostly ate counter service. Coming out of the parks Tuesday night we thought we would eat at Margaritaville, but they were reservation only and had to reserve for the next night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter