APs are coming

I am glad the people with the Thanksgiving issue are being taken care of. I'm debating about whether I should try again today. My issue with not being able to upgrade to platinum for December seems a little different, although they could resolve it in a similar fashion by giving me 2 day passes. I don't want to waste my time...

The difference I think in your case is you hold a pass that is blocked out and can upgrade a pass once sales resume to an unblocked pass.

It just costs more. Those will gold bought a pass that allowed for Thanksgiving and are now blocked for those dates. It’s different.

I agree it's different but I still feel that I bought my gold pass with the understanding that it would be upgradable for a reasonable fee (I don't feel the new charge to upgrade is reasonable as it would be close to the same amount for 1 week as I paid for the rest of the year) and made Christmas plans based on that. If I had waited until after the 8th. I would feel that Disney owes me nothing.

I agree it's different but I still feel that I bought my gold pass with the understanding that it would be upgradable for a reasonable fee (I don't feel the new charge to upgrade is reasonable as it would be close to the same amount for 1 week as I paid for the rest of the year) and made Christmas plans based on that. If I had waited until after the 8th. I would feel that Disney owes me nothing.

Except there is no rule that says you have to be allowed to upgrade it for any set price.

You pay the current cost at the time of the upgrade.

Its like those of us who couldn’t get in one last gold renewal price because we were outside of 60 days, even though for the past year they have been allowing it.

It certainly is frustrating to have to pay a lot more but again, not sure I agree anyone should ever expect to not pay current price for changes we want.

Actually, all I want to do is pay current prices. I have an AP that's active until July and I would like to pay today's price to upgrade it to platinum..

Actually, all I want to do is pay current prices. I have an AP that's active until July and I would like to pay today's price to upgrade it to platinum..

But you can’t upgrade right now. It’s been suspended for more than a year. So there isn’t really a current price for that.

Not really any different than those wanting to upgrade multi day tickets. It’s still wanting a new pass type.

We just don’t see it the same. The people who are having black out dates changed after they bought is completely different.

To clarify, are you saying the complementary tickets will be for Thanksgiving 2022 and when you renew at the end of Nov 2021 Disney will convert your Gold certificate to Sorcerer pass but you will not be blacked out in 2022 since you have the complementary tickets?

ETA: that assumes Thanksgiving will also be blacked out in 2022 for the Sorcerer pass.
The comp tickets will cover Thanksgiving 2022 because the Gold renewal certificate I purchased won't start until the end of November this year (right after Thanksgiving). This Thanksgiving was not affected for us because we are in the middle of a gold pass currently and since it is an active Gold pass it retains the Gold pass blockout dates. Our current pass doesn't expire until after this Thanksgiving ( November 28th). I was able to buy my renewal certificate outside of the 60 day renewal period because I needed to make park reservations for the tail end of this year's Thanksgiving trip our trip ends after November 28th.

The comp tickets will cover Thanksgiving 2022 because the Gold renewal certificate I purchased won't start until the end of November this year (right after Thanksgiving). This Thanksgiving was not affected for us because we are in the middle of a gold pass currently and since it is an active Gold pass it retains the Gold pass blockout dates. Our current pass doesn't expire until after this Thanksgiving ( November 28th). I was able to buy my renewal certificate outside of the 60 day renewal period because I needed to make park reservations for the tail end of this year's Thanksgiving trip our trip ends after November 28th.
What I was asking to do when I called was upgrade my Gold renewal certificate to a platinum certificate so that when it renewed (at the end off November this year) it would become an incredi-pass and therefore I would be able to use it next Thanksgiving. I explained to them that because they changed the passes after I made my purchase, the pass they sold me suddenly no longer met my needs.
(I hope this clears up any confusion...it was confusing because of the timing of my expiration/renewal time):)

I am completely, completely confused. We have never had annual passes, so maybe that is a part of it. For what it is worth ... I just got off chat with Member Services. We are arriving Saturday 9/11 and currently have 6 day hopper passes. I want to update to the Sorcerer's Pass. MS told me if I updated tomorrow, then I would lose my park ressies (which of course my dining ressies are aligned with). She said upgrade on the last day of our visit at the gate. If we do that, then aren't we only going to get the value of the last day applied to the new Pass versus the 6 days if we did it in the beginning???

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am completely, completely confused. We have never had annual passes, so maybe that is a part of it. For what it is worth ... I just got off chat with Member Services. We are arriving Saturday 9/11 and currently have 6 day hopper passes. I want to update to the Sorcerer's Pass. MS told me if I updated tomorrow, then I would lose my park ressies (which of course my dining ressies are aligned with). She said upgrade on the last day of our visit at the gate. If we do that, then aren't we only going to get the value of the last day applied to the new Pass versus the 6 days if we did it in the beginning???

No, you get the whole value of the full six-day pass. They always tell you, on both coasts, to wait until the last day because the conversion to a pass will delete any park reservations that are tied to the tickets.

It's the biggest concern with the DLR Magic Keys, because the So Cal 3-day park-hoppers actually aren't upgradeable because they are a special promotional ticket.

Last edited:
What I was asking to do when I called was upgrade my Gold renewal certificate to a platinum certificate so that when it renewed (at the end off November this year) it would become an incredi-pass and therefore I would be able to use it next Thanksgiving. I explained to them that because they changed the passes after I made my purchase, the pass they sold me suddenly no longer met my needs.
(I hope this clears up any confusion...it was confusing because of the timing of my expiration/renewal time):)

It does clear it up but I am not sure it’s fair to all those who have been now prevented from renewing outside of 60 days.

The block out dates for 2022 have not yet been published so I am shocked they are giving you comp, to be honest.

There are people who have a few gold certificates in their accounts that were bought years ago. So, based on your situation, people should always continue to have the gold dates for all of those as well.

But again, it’s inconsistency.

I am not sure she is correct. If you booked park reservations with an room reservation, you were given them from the resort guest buckets.

Resort guests can have different tickets so I think you’d be fine. However, what I would do is check with GR when you get there and ask to confirm.

I am not sure she is correct. If you booked park reservations with an room reservation, you were given them from the resort guest buckets.

Resort guests can have different tickets so I think you’d be fine.
I agree.
This was our experience when we went in late April and had DVC room reservations. We wanted to wait to buy park tickets in case AP sales were resumed before our trip. I had a number of old unused 7 day MYW tickets, so I assigned one of those to the MDE account for each person in our group so we could make park reservations. When AP sales did not resume, I bought the 4 day tickets we needed for that trip, assigned them to the MDE account for each person, and removed (by reassigning to a "dummy" MDE account) the old MYW 7 day tickets that I had used to make park reservations. We did not lose our park reservations, even though the tickets I used to make those park reservations were no longer in our MDE account.

ETA: However, I do not see any downside to @momoftwins waiting to convert at the end of their trip.

Last edited:
It does clear it up but I am not sure it’s fair to all those who have been now prevented from renewing outside of 60 days.

The block out dates for 2022 have not yet been published so I am shocked they are giving you comp, to be honest.

There are people who have a few gold certificates in their accounts that were bought years ago. So, based on your situation, people should always continue to have the gold dates for all of those as well.

But again, it’s inconsistency.
I renewed in July when they were allowing it. They are very inconsistent. The point of my post was to encourage anyone who thinks they have a case to call and argue their point. They called me and told me what they were doing the next day which I was not expecting. The man made it sound like it was a new policy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter