• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

APRIL 2022 W.I.S.H. - Springing into healthy living

Intro:
I'm Summer, 57.
I live in coastal Connecticut, an hour outside NYC.
Living with...DH 62 & DD 24.
Working as...Kindergarten Teacher in an inner city public school.
Favorite place...Seashore.
Hobbies...Art, swimming, reading, singing.
2022 Goals...Finally lose the baby weight using NOOM (Yes, it’s been 23 years of struggling); walk daily; learn how to be more flexible and handle stress better; keep my eye on the prize; and BELIEVE IN MYSELF!

This week has been high pressure and hectic, but my stress headache was kept at bay by acupuncture and electrical stimulation treatment three times this week. Last night I had a massage. Today, DD was off work for the last Saturday in a long time, so we spent the day together running errands. When we were done, we got frozen yogurt and ate it at the beach. It was the perfect day.

@Summer2018-sounds like a great day!!!

I hope everyone had a lovely Saturday!

Today was actually a nice day here! I spent the morning at the spca walking dogs…got almost 10 miles in-21,000 steps 😳

Lots of new dogs, big, small, old and young ☹️ The rescue community is in a crisis right now and it’s truly heartbreaking. “Covid puppies” are now 1-2 years old and are being dumped in shelters and returned to rescues in record numbers. Every rescue, every shelter is full. Very difficult to see, but I am thankful we can help where we can.

Stuck to my WW points yesterday and today! Banked my exercise points from today and yesterday as well because tomorrow we are going to a absolutely delicious Italian restaurant for my father in law’s birthday!! I’m excited for this meal for sure!

@Summer2018-sounds like a great day!!!

I hope everyone had a lovely Saturday!

Today was actually a nice day here! I spent the morning at the spca walking dogs…got almost 10 miles in-21,000 steps 😳

Lots of new dogs, big, small, old and young ☹️ The rescue community is in a crisis right now and it’s truly heartbreaking. “Covid puppies” are now 1-2 years old and are being dumped in shelters and returned to rescues in record numbers. Every rescue, every shelter is full. Very difficult to see, but I am thankful we can help where we can.

Stuck to my WW points yesterday and today! Banked my exercise points from today and yesterday as well because tomorrow we are going to a absolutely delicious Italian restaurant for my father in law’s birthday!! I’m excited for this meal for sure!
I was worried about this when so many people started adopting.

I was worried about this when so many people started adopting.
Yes, we knew the bubble would burst. I just don’t think anyone anticipated it would be this bad. People bought puppies that they had no business ever owning (need breed experience, working breeds, ect…) and now they are young adults with terrible behavior and the owners are surrendering to shelters and rescues left and right.

Yes, we knew the bubble would burst. I just don’t think anyone anticipated it would be this bad. People bought puppies that they had no business ever owning (need breed experience, working breeds, ect…) and now they are young adults with terrible behavior and the owners are surrendering to shelters and rescues left and right.
I grew up with dogs, I LOVE them, and I miss having them. After watching our last dog suffer through his last days, we didn’t get another because we are never home except for the summer. I can’t in all good conscience have a dog be lonely all day waiting for us to come home while we live our very busy lives. My DD gets her puppy fix checking in on her friend’s dogs while her friend works 12 hour shifts before or after work. I visit them too for some puppy love.

When I retire, I plan on getting a dog again. I look forward to the day that I can make this massive commitment.

I rolled some virtual dice and ended up on a free space, which doesn’t exactly help me decide what to do next. So far I gave finally swapped the curtain rods and drapes in the bedroom and have done a bit of organizing. I’m kind of thinking of going up to the farmers market, but putting clothes on seems like a lot.

Yesterday was perfection. Beautiful weather, smooth drive, nice long breakfast and good conversation with my Niece and her husband, a walk on the beach, a bit of shopping in town and a stop by the museum to see the new exhibit. A real mod booster.

“I have a great attitude about my weight, my fitness, and my goals. Because I choose to have an attitude that is positive, staying on my plan is easy for me.”

Good Morning all. I got ne w365 positive self talk book with daily quotes and this is today's quote. Have a wonderful day and lets make this week count!

poof - weekend gone.jpg

Welcome to a new week and Motivation Monday!

I am currently reading Atomic Habits, by James Clear (which I highly recommend if you're looking for additions to your reading list! - link here) and the title of chapter 6 is "Motivation Is Overrated; Environment Often Matters More."

We've talked here before about motivation being stronger at the beginning of a plan, and waning as life gets in the way and attention is diverted or willpower is depleted. What this chapter talked about was arranging your environment to help you accomplish your goals. I have to get off the computer right now, but will come back later to talk more!

Sorry about the short post, here's the rest:

So, you've probably noticed examples of this at the grocery store - how the big brands are placed at eye level and the less-expensive ones on different shelves, candy in the check-out line right where bored kids will see it, etc. Arranging the store environment this way encourages shoppers to spend more money.

But you can use these same principles to encourage healthy habits at home - If you want to eat more fruit and less chocolate, you probably put the fruit bowl in the center of the counter and hide the chocolate in the cabinet. Maybe you want to remember to drink enough water, so you have one of those water bottles with the time marked on them to keep you focused on that goal.

Our behavior is often less about our intention/decision and more about the cues around us. So we can supplement our motivation by being purposeful about those cues. One that I use myself is placing my vitamin container on the coffee pot at night. That way, I'm forced to move it to make my coffee the next morning and am reminded to take them.

If you already adjust your environment to encourage healthy habits, how do you do it?

Or if this idea is new to you, what changes could you try this week?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter