Apple

I've heard this rumor. I think it would be a weird time for Apple to buy Disney, given the recent disappointing box office news, hemorrhaging money with Disney+, lower park attendance and the ongoing drama with Reedy Creek. The flip side is that maybe now is a good time to buy, give that Disney seems to be in a "down" time.

I don't know. It will be interesting to see how it plays out!

I still think it very unlikely. Too many stars would have to align. There are areas of overlap, still is 2 very different companies. Plus all the hurdles internationally with antitrust law.

It's not their core business, hardware really is Apple's core specialty. It would be a vertical integration that neither really needs.

Kind of like a rocket & electric vehicle manufacturer purchasing a social media platform. It sounded good until the new owner was stuck with something he didn't really want that's unrelated to his current holdings.

Weirder things have happend though.

This has been a rumor going on like 10 years now. Granted, with Apple having gotten into the streaming business, it makes sense to buy a studio for content like Amazon with MGM but I think they would buy someone smaller than Disney. I can't imagine they would want the parks business and would spin that off but the parks would instantly lose a ton of value with no connection to Disney studio.

This has been a rumor going on like 10 years now. Granted, with Apple having gotten into the streaming business, it makes sense to buy a studio for content like Amazon with MGM but I think they would buy someone smaller than Disney. I can't imagine they would want the parks business and would spin that off but the parks would instantly lose a ton of value with no connection to Disney studio.
That makes sense and moves me into the concerned category

As others this has been around for a long time just as Disney buying Apple was many years back. PIXAR was owned by Steve Jobs which Disney purchased........and yes Apple and Jobs had a fallout. There has always been a relationship between Disney and Apple. It is well known Iger was on Apple's Board of Directors but has stepped down when Disney started its streaming service in 2019. There could be a win for Streaming however Disney is an entertainment company something Apple has 0 experience with. Maybe a joint deal where Disney gets ? and Apple gets? Disney would not give up the cash cow theme parks nor its library of past movies that is has gained Disney and continues to gain huge profits.

I could see Apple buying TWDC, keep the studios for content, and then spin off the theme parks. Potentially, a foreign buyer like Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund. Apple has already invested with Saudi-backed funds and the PIF has partnered with Foxconn (which assembles Apple products). There is some history there.

Disney is an entertainment company something Apple has 0 experience with.
Hmmm, I'm confused. Which Apple are you talking about? Obviously not the company that won the Oscar for Best Picture last year. Or the company that won the Emmy for Best Comedy Series last year. Or the company that just got 51 more Emmy nominations today. Which Apple is the company that knows zilch about entertainment?

I could see Apple buying TWDC, keep the studios for content, and then spin off the theme parks. Potentially, a foreign buyer like Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund. Apple has already invested with Saudi-backed funds and the PIF has partnered with Foxconn (which assembles Apple products). There is some history there.
This would be insanity for all except Apple. The parks would go under within 5 years.

I do see a huge value add to the parks from the tech side of Apple. Something they've been sorely missing for decades.

This would be insanity for all except Apple. The parks would go under within 5 years.

I do see a huge value add to the parks from the tech side of Apple. Something they've been sorely missing for decades.
I didn't say it was a good idea or something I want to happen. I just wouldn't be surprised that something like this could happen or would happen. Seems possible, sadly.

Apple has a giant pile of cash. Analysts always wonder what they will spend it on, assuming that Apple wants to spend it. But (a) Apple is perfectly happy not spending it and (b) when they do spend it, it is in targeted technology acquisitions and related acqui-hires.

What's more, I don't see how Disney makes any sense for Apple. Apple's streaming media strategy is a small but highly curated set of offerings that support the larger "walled garden" ecosystem of Apple One. Streaming is there to help keep people locked in to Apple hardware. Disney's media production, in contrast, is the company's main business. They couldn't be more different and still both offer a streaming platform.

Apple would never buy the entire company. They don't have any interest in all the legacy assets especially cable networks and theme parks. Pixar? Maybe. But Iger won't sell it.

Analysts don't understand Apple. It's basically run like a start up. Look at their corporate structure. The entire company is run by a handful long term executives that report to the top. Most of these people have been at Apple or NeXT since the 1980's and 1990's.

Apple has one single P&L to protect low margin and incubation projects. You could probably name most of Apple's services and products on two hands.

Disney is a massive media conglomerate that has separate divisions with separate P&Ls. It would be a disaster.

This rumor comes and goes. It seems to be on the rise again like it was 10 years ago but that too fizzled out.

Being a long time fan and stockholder of TWDC, how would I feel if it happened?........one word..........SAD 😔

This rumor comes and goes. It seems to be on the rise again like it was 10 years ago but that too fizzled out.

Being a long time fan and stockholder of TWDC, how would I feel if it happened?........one word..........SAD 😔

I honestly think the rumor is being fueled by Iger's subordinates. He has been obsessed with this idea since Jobs died.

It would be the end of Michael Eisner's Disney as we have known it.

That's not say that Apple wouldn't do a deal with Disney regarding ESPN (although the ESPN Bet would be a turn off for the company) or content (Apple TV+ gets Marvel, Star Wars and Disney second-run films, new iPhone buyers would get 12 months of Disney+, etc.).

I could even see Apple pulling a Microsoft and purchasing a significant stake in Disney. Tim Cook is a busy guy, but I guess he could be on the Disney board. The question becomes what would Apple get out of it? And does it distract from its core mission?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter