Apple MacBook - best way to buy??

iujen94

DIS Veteran
My Apple MacBook is on its last legs and needs to be replaced. Any suggestions on possible Apple deals? I *prefer* to buy directly from Apple (either in store or online) because I’ll want them to transfer the contents of my old MacBook to my new one. I’ve got a Capital One Venture card and a Chase Business Ink Preferred card, and I collect miles on SW, Delta and American. I do Shopkick and Dosh, and I dabble in Swagbucks, but not seriously. Thanks!!

They won't do the transfer for you directly. They will recommend you use time machine to backup to an external and you can re set up the new computer identically to the old one. I bought my MacBook Pro through apple 2.5 years ago because I wanted to upgrade the internal components. If you aren't going to do any internal upgrades I would look at buying from B&H Photo (no tax depending on where you live) or Best Buy or Amazon.

I recommend checking out the Apple Refub store, same warranty as new. I'd buy the Apple Care too. I'd also price out at Costco, Amazon and Best Buy. Right now with back to school you might find some good deals.

We just bought a Refurb model directly from Apple, via Southwest Rapid Rewards. Through Aug. 18 RR has a bonus where you can earn up to 2000 bonus RR (if you buy a Macbook, I'm sure you'll reach the minimum spend for the bonus.)
When we bought, Apple was 4/$1 RR. It's now 1/$1 RR points.

They won't do the transfer for you directly. They will recommend you use time machine to backup to an external and you can re set up the new computer identically to the old one.

Is that a new policy? I bought my last two MacBooks at the Apple store, and both times I left my old and new computers overnight, and they set up my new computer as a duplicate of the old one.

My daughter bought her first Mac Book Pro from the Apple Store. She bought her second one from Best Buy. Price was the same, but Best buy threw in an i-Pod and warranty for free.
As I have posted before, Apple did something to turn her off their products, not sure what. She built her own PC and I don't think the Mac has been used in a year.

They won't do the transfer for you directly. They will recommend you use time machine to backup to an external and you can re set up the new computer identically to the old one.
Apple will transfer it for you but it has to be left overnight. They prefer you try to do it yourself because they don't want to be responsible for any lost content but if you ask they're more than happy to help you. Refurbished is a good option. If you have a student in your family you could also "purchase it for them" for school and get the education discount. Though admittedly I'm not sure you can use your Ink Preferred to buy it. Apple gets a little weird with people trying to purchase products on business cards at the student rate.

I recommend checking out the Apple Refub store, same warranty as new. I'd buy the Apple Care too. I'd also price out at Costco, Amazon and Best Buy. Right now with back to school you might find some good deals.

If you prefer to purchase directly from Apple, I highly recommend the refurb store. Not only is it the same warranty as new, it's the same product as new. If someone buys a Macbook, opens the lid and then doesn't like it and returns it, that will be considered a refurb unit. The only disadvantage is you get a plain white box instead of the usual one. However, for the several hundred dollars you can save, it's worth it. I also recommend buying with your Ink card so you get the extra year extended warranty benefit so your laptop will be covered for 1 year directly with Apple and 1 year through Chase.

If you prefer to purchase directly from Apple, I highly recommend the refurb store.
Agreed, I've purchased around 8 Mac's from the refurb store and never had one issue with any of them. The one item I did have issue was an old Apple TV, and they had a replacement to me the next day. Great service.

I don't know that this is true for your exact situation, but I suspect that the Apple Store will transfer the contents to your new computer (if left overnight, as mentioned) regardless or where you purchased it. It's worth asking, so that you cant then search out the best deal without limiting yourself to Apple directly.

And as also mentioned, look at the refurb section on Apple.com. That's my first choice when I'm shopping for Apple.

Apple Refurb does get I believe 2% back through Ebates may be 1%.
Most places will charge the same the same as apple (maybe 20.00 less or something free) and those that do not are not authorized sellers although it is very common to get a discount on an older model that apple no longer carries you can try MacMall for older models.

My Apple MacBook is on its last legs and needs to be replaced. Any suggestions on possible Apple deals? I *prefer* to buy directly from Apple (either in store or online) because I’ll want them to transfer the contents of my old MacBook to my new one. I’ve got a Capital One Venture card and a Chase Business Ink Preferred card, and I collect miles on SW, Delta and American. I do Shopkick and Dosh, and I dabble in Swagbucks, but not seriously. Thanks!!
Do you have a student or teacher in the family? Apple offer good student discounts.

We bought ours recently from Best Buy. Our local BB is an authorized Apple service provider, which is helpful to know, since our local Apple store can be a madhouse. They had some sliding scale promotion (i.e. $100 off of the base model, $150 off of the next level up, etc.) that Apple didn't have itself. I felt very happy with the purchase and the level of service.

Also recommend refurbs. Apple in particular had refurbs that are basically as good as new. If you do go that route just pay close attention to the manufacture date as that indicates model type.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac

Hey guys! Is it better to buy a MacBook or iPad? Both have their perks – MacBook for productivity and versatility and iPads offer portability and touchscreen convenience. I don't know how to choose, help please.

Hey guys! Is it better to buy a MacBook or iPad? Both have their perks – MacBook for productivity and versatility and iPads offer portability and touchscreen convenience. I don't know how to choose, help please.
I am in a similar situation. My MacBook Pro is from 2009 and my iPad Pro from 2017, and they are both starting to have some issues. Right now I am leaning towards a new MacBook first and then perhaps a new iPad later. My reasoning is that the MacBook will allow me to do everything the iPad does, and then some. I still prefer the laptop format for doing documents and spreadsheets over the iPad, even with the iPad keyboard.

I think the 13” MacBook Air might be a good choice if you want the best combination of portability and productivity. The Pro line tends to be a little heavier, but is also a good choice. Do you have a store nearby where you can see them in person? I have visited my local Best Buy store to look at the various choices in person (much closer than the nearest Apple Store).

You are the only one who knows what your needs are and what will work best in your situation, but if at all possible I do recommend seeing the devices in person before making a decision. There are also several good online forums you might want to look at for feedback on the various products.

Is it better to buy a MacBook or iPad?
I’d say that depends on how you plan to use it. Do you do spreadsheets and/or presentations? I prefer the laptop format for that stuff. If you mostly surf the Internet, check personal emails, music, gams, etc. then the iPad does fine.

This summer we just bought DD a Mac Book Air for school. We went to Best Buy to check them out. I debated buying there or from the Apple Store. You may get a slightly better price from Apple, but there are perks at BestBuy if you use their credit card. I think cost-wise it ended up basically the same cost. For us it came down to which was open on a Saturday when we could go shopping to buy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter