Apple is going to look through your photos on your phone looking for child abuse pictures

Again, that’s a totally different scenario than this. Pinging a phone for location when there’s a likelihood of harm is not anywhere near searching thru someone’s photos to see if there’s anything that MIGHT be suspicious. Having probable cause to look for something vs just looking at every ones stuff “just in case” are not the same. Not even close.
Again, that's not what they are doing though. They aren't looking at every one's stuff just in case either. It's not even a viewable image until there's a match and the match comes from an image in the database. Up until that point it's a number.

It's not a totally different scenario to me because of my understanding of what their system is designed to do (albeit they are going to ensure the encryption works as they designed it to). To me matching two series of numbers together one coming from a database of National Center for Missing and Exploited Children is tantamount to the likelihood of harm I gave in my explanation of the Kelsey Smith Act. For me they both exhibit situations in which there is a heightened aspect to immediate harm or intended harm to someone in which case an expedience may take the front seat. I wouldn't want a victim to suffer more or longer here.

Maybe I view it differently because of the subject matter and how they are going about it, I suppose that's it in a nutshell. I don't see it as a threat to my personal privacy. I'd fight for victims rights here. In this case I see the greater good tipping the scales and if you've happen to remember my comments in the past (like information my state didn't want to give to the CDC for vaccination records for covid-19) you'd know I usually side with privacy. The gravity of the topic overrides that in this case. I respect that for others it doesn't. And hopefully should it pass the encryption tests it does some good in making connections of who is possessing the images and who may be a part of it quicker, if it fails to do so it may just fade away in usage.

Anyways I'm moving on, I have no problem being the minority in terms of a viewpoint but frankly the topic is one I'd like to step away from at this point, respectfully :flower3:

I mean respectfully that's an assumption on your part though, that none of those things have ever impacted someone's livelihood. It's certainly not something I can make that assumption on :flower3:

There's been local stories of traffic infractions hurting someone's reputation, costing them their job (especially if you have to take time out to go to court...one of the reasons a lot of lower income people have issues--have you not seen the vast amount of documentaries about lower income individuals and the struggle for just parking tickets among other things), you can def. lose your friends, lost income means your housing is at risk, etc. If you consider how a large part of things work in our society where you have X happen and then have to deal with it later Apple's verbiage of you appealing it should you think it's incorrect it's not at all abnormal or uncommon. We just don't tend to think of it and the topic of child abuse and sexual abuse is a very sensitive one (understandably so). Doesn't mean I don't see the protentional consequences just that it's hardly new, hardly an only Apple thing (which was my initial point in that comment).

I don't think people are denying false accusations occur, the moral question is do we continue with the status quo or attempt to improve for the greater good here, because of the minority stories of accusations that end up false all I can personally think of is the victims who may be helped; no system is 100% perfect. But that's the moral question you (general you) have to ask yourself because frankly seeing those stories of the sex rings in my area (and it's not the first nor will it be the last unfortunately) makes me so sick to my stomach, for pete's sake a 4 year old.

It also doesn't mean that Apple or anyone else continues with such process that is being implemented if the net gains (which is hopefully quicker and more cases resolved/found) don't end up panning out.
I understand what you are saying. And I agree that some things need to improve. But at the same time having watch someone have their life and their kids lives destroyed by false accusations I can’t just say “oh well, it’s for the greater good”

I understand what you are saying. And I agree that some things need to improve. But at the same time having watch someone have their life and their kids lives destroyed by false accusations I can’t just say “oh well, it’s for the greater good”
I'm late to this thread I think. I was about to respond and then I saw this. I don't at all think the person is shrugging it off saying 'oh well, it's for the greater good'. I think both of you are on opposing sides of a viewpoint. I wonder if your impression would be different if you didn't know someone who had a false accusation? If instead you knew someone who had been kidnapped and sold into sexual slavery and instead could have been found sooner? If your own child had been exploited? I'm not at all trying to judge you so please don't think that! I just wonder that for you your opinion seems to come from knowing someone of false accusation that wasn't even related to but I haven't read much about your opinion on how you feel about these children. What do you think would make an improvement on finding and locating these children? That actually makes me think I used to see all those flyers at Walmart at the entrances, I don't remember if they are still doing that?

When I saw this post all I could think of was the picture on my phone of my daughter in horror scene makeup. It makes it look like she has an eyeball that’s been both burnt and stabbed. The authorities are going to be really letdown when they show up and my kid still has both eyes.

I am torn on this one. I understand both sides. I do question if enough will come out of it to make the privacy concern 'worth it' and I mean 'worth it' because of the public's reaction towards it and if it opens them up to any vulnerabilities and if enough action on the side of catching people happens. I do think Apple is an established company where I at least trust them more than Facebook. It seems to be mostly non-invasive. If it came out that the images were actually all being scanned instead of these 'hashes' I might see it different.

I never said it was unconstitutional. I said it wasn’t right. And if they are doing it bc they are being pressured to by law enforcement and this is their way of appeasing them it’s not that much different. I wonder tho if anything Apple turns over would be admissible in court if it’s not implicitly laid out in tbe TOS. It will be interesting to see how it plays out the first time it goes to court. Not the legality of the action per se bc obviously it’s not illegal but that doesn’t mean it would be admissible in court.

In the post I quoted, you talked about probable cause and a warrant. Those are rights under the constitution.

From reading the article it appears they are looking at photos that have been uploaded to Apple's cloud service. It doesn't appear they are scanning pics from a phone, but only pics on the cloud.

From reading the article it appears they are looking at photos that have been uploaded to Apple's cloud service. It doesn't appear they are scanning pics from a phone, but only pics on the cloud.
Yes. Some people just either don't want to read or just like to be disagreeable without really knowing what they are disagreeing with.

Apple is generating the hash ON THE PHONE as a step prior to uploading to iCloud. Once the hash is generated it is then compared to the database prior to upload.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter