AP sales…

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are likely telling families where everybody else doesn't own an AP 'No' to the 3 YOs also. You're trying to twist my point to suit your agenda, yet my point stands on its own.
I don’t have an agenda. I agree with you more often than not 🤷🏼‍♀️ They are doing just that. Family all have APs. Newly turned 3 year old gets approved for first time AP. This site has gotten unreal in the last year or so. I’ll refrain from pushing my agenda on you going forward 👍🏻

You really don't see a difference in those scenarios? I do. In one example, the outlier family member is of the age where a ticket was needed and either had no ticket or chose a different type. In the example of the child "aging" into the need for a ticket, never needed a ticket before so that child should be able to get the same type of ticket as their parents. IMHO, anyways.
Not really. A new AP is a new AP.

Interesting. No wiggle room for common sense in that worldview. Zero tolerance to accommodation on any policy rarely makes sense or works. And I would hate to be in a world where that was true. Just sayin' that a little common sense, understanding, and grace go a long way.

Interesting. No wiggle room for common sense in that worldview. Zero tolerance to accommodation on any policy rarely makes sense or works. And I would hate to be in a world where that was true. Just sayin' that a little common sense, understanding, and grace go a long way.
I like clear cut rules and fairness myself. I have quite a bit of no nonsense common sense. Understanding and grace would allow for ALL other family members to get an AP if the rest of the family has one IMHO.

Last edited:
I like clear cut rules and fairness myself. I have quite a bit of no nonsense common sense. Understanding and grace would allow for ALL other family members to get an AP if the rest of the family has one IMHO.
I'm a big fan of clear rules and fairness, as well. Most people probably are. But "fairness" does not always equate to "sameness" but that's a different debate.

It doesn't burn my bacon at all if Disney sells an AP to a 4-year old when the rest of the family already has one. Good for Disney. I applaud their common sense in that scenario.

They tell other family members no all the time. There are a couple examples floating around here of all but one family member with an AP and that family member is unable to purchase. I see no difference just bc it was free for your child and now it isn’t.

The difference is that a child under 3 wasn’t required to have any ticket so there would have been no reason to buy any ticket for them when the other passes were bought.

A family member who didn’t have one because either did could have bought it,,and saved it for a trip.

It’s like my DH...doesn’t have it We didn’t buy for him because he hasn’t been going with us. Was going to buy on for him first of year but the stopped sales.

So, I do see it’s fair that someone with a 3 years gets it and my DH doesn’t because if my DH had been going he would have had it.

Last edited:

I'm a big fan of clear rules and fairness, as well. Most people probably are. But "fairness" does not always equate to "sameness" but that's a different debate.

It doesn't burn my bacon at all if Disney sells an AP to a 4-year old when the rest of the family already has one. Good for Disney. I applaud their common sense in that scenario.
You do understand that *you* quoted *me* and implied I lack common sense, understanding and grace right? I appreciate your point of view.
The difference is that a child under 3 wasn’t required to have any ticket so there would have been no reason to buy any ticket for them when the other passes were bought.
Understood. I don’t agree with the free under 3 policy either.

You do understand that *you* quoted *me* and implied I lack common sense, understanding and grace right? I appreciate your point of view.

Yes, I get not everyone is happy with it but I guess I understand why it’s done and why Disney kept sales open for that small subset of guests.

For me, I see it the same as Disney keeping Pixie Passes in place for FL residents.

I'm really struggling to understand why this even requires explanation...
Yes, I get not everyone is happy with it but I guess I understand why it’s done and why Disney kept sales open for that small subset of guests.

For me, I see it the same as Disney keeping Pixie Passes in place for FL residents.
I thought that had to do with some tax deal with the state? It’s the position they’ve taken but it doesn’t seem equitable. It would make sense if they hadn’t strongly suggested that the number of APs is capped which leads one to believe no new APs will be forthcoming until some APs lapse. It’s creating IMO an advantage / disadvantage situation. That’s what Disney does currently though, artificially cap to create FOMO.

Yes, I do understand that I quoted your post. I wasn't implying anything about you personally.

My exact reference to common sense, understanding, and grace were more general, and I still believe that to be true. If you truly cannot see a difference between the two scenarios we were addressing, then there's not much else to say. The two scenarios are completely different.

I appreciate your point of view.

I thought that had to do with some tax deal with the state? It’s the position they’ve taken but it doesn’t seem equitable. It would make sense if they hadn’t strongly suggested that the number of APs is capped which leads one to believe no new APs will be forthcoming until some APs lapse. It’s creating IMO an advantage / disadvantage situation. That’s what Disney does currently though, artificially cap to create FOMO.
I meant I’m struggling to understand why anyone would even question allowing a parent to purchase an AP for a child who has aged into requiring one. I mean, it takes pedantry to a mind-numbingly new level.

Regardless of the reason, anyone who meets the requirement in gets one p

For me, as long as they are consistent in applying what ever the rule is, it’s consistent and equitable.

Inconsistent for me would be some people getting them and others not getting them with no rhyme or reason behind the decisions.

Back and forth is getting very personal. If it continues, this thread will be closed.

From the posting guidelines:

"While we'd like to think that a Disney fan site is always lighthearted, there are times when there are disagreements. Let's face it, there are certain topics that can transform any of us into a raging "Donald Duck." When you sense this is happening, we ask that you step away from the discussion before it escalates into a fight. Just like Mom always said about fighting, we don't care who started the argument and we don't want it on the DIS. (Okay, she didn't say the part about the DIS, but you know what we mean.) No attacking others and no sarcasm please. Either will result in an infraction"

OK. Here's an elephant in this room. How many DVC owners got caught out without an annual pass because they were using the "bridging" technique and it was an "off-year?" Bridging, as I understand it was buying an AP and then squeezing two annual trips into it; one close to the beginning of the current pass year and the other close to the end of the pass year (maybe with some in between. Then, letting the AP lapse and waiting almost a year to buy a new one on their next trip -- in the next calendar year. So when they were in the off year without an annual pass is when the sales of new annual passes shut down.

That bridging technique was obviously playing with Disney's profits on annual passes. I have no idea how many DVC owners were doing that.
that's exactly what we've been doing since 2011, when we bought DVC, We've only renewed once. We'd get the AP, scheduled trips to cover 2 Star Wars weekends (RIP,) and then take a year off. Worked great. Then we started planning around Food/wine, and summers. Then blam! no more AP sales. Never in my wildest pessimistic dreams did we think we'd not get the chance to buy APs. We kick ourselves for not jumping on them during that brief time, Have already completely altered our travel this year. Due to ticket costs, DH and DS didn't even go on our May graduation trip w DD and me, and or our trip next month, DH got 7 days, and DS and I are only doing 2 days, all due to ticket cost. We 100% know we only bought a room, etc. but we also have no intention of doing frequent Disney trips w/o AP. We don't want to spend the money, or be limited by day tickets. We'll re-evaluate everything in the coming year. will be renting out points, maybe going to HHI or Vero, or II. Have thoroughly enjoyed our 'year off' of Disney going to other theme parks, especially Universal, but we've enjoyed Universal since 2000. This was our first year doing APs for them, and have done 3 trips, and 1 more there next month. We are still hopeful APs might get offered in the next 3 wks, so we can upgrade tho.....

How about thinking of it this way - Since everyone in the family has an AP, think of the child as having one too, it just cost zero dollars. That family would have paid for the 2 year olds AP if required, no?

For the family in your example, there was a reason one person did not have an AP and it was not because of their age, which is a completly uncontrollable reason.

Really having a hard time seeing how the two are anywhere near similar situations.

I meant I’m struggling to understand why anyone would even question allowing a parent to purchase an AP for a child who has aged into requiring one. I mean, it takes pedantry to a mind-numbingly new level.
Because WDW has made *everything* into a competition. ADRs, park reservations, tickets, APs. And yes, I am your friendly neighbourhood pédant, lacking common sense, understanding and grace… and let us not forget my agenda. Jesus wept. You’d think I’d personally kicked someone’s puppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter