Anyone take PB&J sandwiches through airport security?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are very few proteins that don't require refrigeration. So taking a turkey sandwich is not an easy solution. You can do it but it is cumbersome and requires planning. While you can slap together pb&j and throw it in you bag. Some people have medical needs that require they eat meals at certain times like the elderly diabetic people dismissed up thread. (why is her disability dismissed so easily? She could have blood sugar issues that make her slip into a diabetic coma and require hospitalization and her pb sandwich could prevent that.)

It is easy to freeze a bag a peas, and use that to keep your turkey sandwhich cold. :thumbsup2 So I'm not dismissing someone else's medical need. It is easy enough to pack a food that isn't such a known allergen. There is no reason why someone has to have peanut butter (or peanut products) and only peanut butter.

I've only flown maybe 3 times int he last 4 years and I can tell you that I have had it happen twice. Kids today are more allergic than ever, and yes, more kids go through MCO than any other airport in the US.

:scared1::scared1::scared1: It's like people are saying hey, I don't like peanutbutter but I'll just say I'm allergic. Peanut allergies are often deadly. Would you really be so selfish as to possibly kill another kid? Seriously? Perhaps you are correct, but perhaps kids wipe their mouths with their hands and smear it on the seat, or wipe their mouths on a napkin which then gets carted down the aisle right past a peanut allergic kid. Really? You would rather KILL a child on their way to the Happiest Place on Earth just so your kid can have PB? Wow.
That is a little over the top eat a peanut butter sandwich and KILL A CHILD really you can't live your life on what if, nor should you as a allergy child's parents expect everyone else to not eat a product because of your child.

It is easy to freeze a bag a peas, and use that to keep your turkey sandwhich cold. :thumbsup2 So I'm not dismissing someone else's medical need. It is easy enough to pack a food that isn't such a known allergen. There is no reason why someone has to have peanut butter (or peanut products) and only peanut butter.

In YOUR opinion it is easy. In others reality it is not. By making these judgements you are dismissing someone else's medical need.

Ok, but if the Mom's are so emotional worrying their kids could die-why would they be concerned that wearing a mask makes the child different? I would do anything to keep my kid alive. If wearing a mask keeps then alive and healthy why not do it? Why force your needs on everyone else?

Personally I just don't buy the whole a mask makes my kid different. Using that logic no kids would be in wheelchairs, have braces, or wear glasses.

I have a kid with allergies(if I walked on a plane and asked for all the people on the plane to refrain from eating all of the allergens(or even just the serious ones, trust me no one would be happy.) I also have allergies (also life threatening), so it is not that I "don't understand" trust me I DO. But I have to be reasonable. If something saves my life or my kids- I don't care how silly it looks I am going to do it. Because my allergies are my problem.

Getting "emotional" and making unreasonable demands just makes it harder for everyone else.
You don't buy it. That's fine. It's not for sale.

And by the by, moms who had the choice to not have their kid in a wheelchair would also elect to not do that.

If you want to beat up on moms of kids with life-threananing conditions...or in wheelchairs, have at it.

I was just explaining why it might be nice not to do that.

Lighten up on the moms or don't. I don't care much which path you choose.

In YOUR opinion it is easy. In others reality it is not. By making these judgements you are dismissing someone else's medical need.

How is throwing a bag of frozen peas in with a turkey sandwhich not easy? Because I honestly can't see how it is not.:confused3

You don't buy it. That's fine. It's not for sale.

And by the by, moms who had the choice to not have their kid in a wheelchair would also elect to not do that.

If you want to beat up on moms of kids with life-threananing conditions...or in wheelchairs, have at it.

I was just explaining why it might be nice not to do that.

You completely missed the point. Let's get rid of the "emotion" and look at the logic.

Of course we moms don't want our kids in a wheelchair. Just like we don't want them to have allergies. But that is not a choice.

No Mom is going to choose to not have her kid in a wheelchair if the chair HELPS the child. No Mom expects people(total strangers) to carry her child around correct? Of course they don't, they get their child a wheelchair.

If a mask keeps a child alive(helps the child) than that is a logical solution. Demanding that no one eat peanuts/peanut butter is not logical-it is emotional.

Personally I do not want to have to rely on total strangers to keep my kid(or myself) alive.

Spend about six months purchasing, making and carrying around turkey sandwiches...and bags of frozen peas...and then come back to tell us that it is so easy.

I think you'll find it easier, cheaper and less wasteful to toss some crackers in your purse and forget about them until you need them.

It isn't just pb, either.

If you want to stop using thing that trigger allergies, there are many things that need to be changed. And the entire world has to change with you or it is no use at all.

How is throwing a bag of frozen peas in with a turkey sandwhich not easy? Because I honestly can't see how it is not.:confused3

It is a lot bigger, takes up more room. And if you are short on space can be a big difference.

Adds weight to carry

It is wet, the condensation can get on everything

Only stays cold so long, my Peanut butter will last a very long time.

You now have a bag of peas to throw away and deal with
it is wasteful, why should I waste a bag of peas for no good reason? wasteful for the cost and just the idea of throwing away good food for no good reason.

I will do what I need to do and can do to help people when the request is reasonable and scientifically based. If not I won't, I don't live my life making decisions based solely on emotions.

You completely missed the point. Let's get rid of the "emotion" and look at the logic.

Of course we moms don't want our kids in a wheelchair. Just like we don't want them to have allergies. But that is not a choice.

No Mom is going to choose to not have her kid in a wheelchair if the chair HELPS the child. No Mom expects people(total strangers) to carry her child around correct? Of course they don't, they get their child a wheelchair.

If a mask keeps a child alive(helps the child) than that is a logical solution. Demanding that no one eat peanuts/peanut butter is not logical-it is emotional.

Personally I do not want to have to rely on total strangers to keep my kid(or myself) alive.
And you will please point out where I suggested that anyone should demand anything.

Honestly, what ARE you talking about?

A vegatarian child cannot eat turkey.
A child with sensory issues cannot eat turkey.

Let's not oversimplfy this ok? Not every solution works for everyone. For example for years I worked with a disabled student who everyday ate the same lunch. Changing his lunch was not an option. He ate 1/2 of a peanut butter sandwich(on white bread).

Throwing a bag of peas in with a turkey sandwich was not "easy" for him.

I thought the thread was discussing the airline's possible request that people not eat peanut products on a flight due to an allergic passenger. Not a demand that no one ever eat any peanut butter anywhere.

At any rate the airlines can't force their passengers to not eat the food they brought with them. You do have to consider that you may freak someone out (allergic person or parent of the allergic person) by pulling out that sandwich. Or when they smell the peanut butter. Even if you think they don't really have any reason to be freaked out. Depends on your attitude toward that, I guess.

And you will please point out where I suggested that anyone should demand anything.

Honestly, what ARE you talking about?

Oh, I am sorry-let me try and simply it for you.

You stated:the masks draw attention and are embarrassing. They make a kid different.

To which I replied:
Ok, but if the Mom's are so emotional worrying their kids could die-why would they be concerned that wearing a mask makes the child different? I would do anything to keep my kid alive. If wearing a mask keeps then alive and healthy why not do it?

You stated (more than once-but not demanding)
Lighten up on the moms.

As far as what I am "talking" about, to put it simply-the best thing we can do as allergy parents is lose the emotion(we all know kids pick up on that). If more Mom's applied logic and not emotion, they may just find people trying to be reasonable.

And they should be considerate of others also!

I will eat my PB&J because there is no scientific reason not to. Me eating a PB&J does no harm to an allergy person unless they plan on grabbing it and eating it. Peanut butter does not release peanut protein into the air and that is what they react to. So I will not open a pack of peanuts right under their noses because that is a risk but I will eat my no risk to them sandwich.

My child had a anaphalatic reaction to someone opening a PB granola bar in the same room when he was 3 . It was terrifying .Until it happened I didnt know it was possible either . The reaction to just a airborn scent in PN allergies has been proven.

Ita always going to depend on the persons sensitivity , immune system, just how close they are sitting , etc. whether or not they will react. Skin contact wth the nut residue can also cause reactions , sometimes just hives , sometimes all out anaphalaxis. Its just never worth taking that risk when you are talking about someones life.

Because there isn't just 1 food!

I love how all the scientific facts and proof is just thrown out the window on this thread but all the emotions and personal stories are automatically believed!

Get the real scientific facts. You have to have peanut protein in the air to have a REAL not emotionally based reaction, peanut butter does not release protein in the air so no inhalation danger to the allergy person. None, nada, the empty set. If they get them selves worked up from the smell I can't help that.

Yes from loose peanuts they can have a reaction BUT only in certain concentrations. Like the whole plane opening their peanut bags all at once, 1 person at the other end of the plane isn't going to do it-the physics of it do not allow enough parts per whatever in the air to reach the person.

I still haven't heard from any of the people with a peanut allergy my question.
Why don't you wear a mask and gloves? That way you are protecting you and claim that is all you want to do.

Just wanted to add that we do use gloves. We take them with us everywhere. We keep a mask handy also , but lets face it , kids do not want to wear them for long. My kid is more than willing to put one on intil we get out of a danger zone. He remembers having real not imaginary reactions to air born scent from when he was to little to know what Pb even was , hence not having a mental reaction. He had no idea the granola opened was PB and I had no idea at the time that you could even react to just scent myself. He could not breath. Imagine watching your 3 yr old gasping for air .

Even if you dont think its a real risk , I am sure you can agree its not worth the risk.

Remember that many young children would squirm and pull a mask off. And then you have teenagers who half the time are to "cool" to even carry a Epi-pen let alone a mask. A scary thought for us moms.

So yes there are those of us that have issues severe enough to warrant a mask and gloves. And plenty of us do. But its hard enough to feel like your inconviencing others when you only want to stay safe. I dont want to tell anyone what to do. I just pray they care enough to do so.

Remember that many young children would squirm and pull a mask off. And then you have teenagers who half the time are to "cool" to even carry a Epi-pen let alone a mask. A scary thought for us moms.

Then you put it on in a way they can't take it off if it is that critical.

And that is a bunch of bull about the teen ager! They are old enough to know better. I am not going to do unnecessary things for an immature teenager, who should know better, or face the consequences.

And you say they don't want to do something, well then,You are asking us to have our kids and ourselves do things we don't want to. Why is it ok for us but not the allergy folks?

It is a lot bigger, takes up more room. And if you are short on space can be a big difference.

Adds weight to carry

It is wet, the condensation can get on everything

Only stays cold so long, my Peanut butter will last a very long time.

You now have a bag of peas to throw away and deal with
it is wasteful, why should I waste a bag of peas for no good reason? wasteful for the cost and just the idea of throwing away good food for no good reason.

I will do what I need to do and can do to help people when the request is reasonable and scientifically based. If not I won't, I don't live my life making decisions based solely on emotions.
Exactly and honestly I have enough to remember to bring for my own disabled child. Im not
going to add weight and bulk
to my bags because someone may have a peanut allergy. And what would I do for the return trip? Peas don't stay frozen forever and I dont like to throw away food. If I was seated right next to someone with a peanut allergy I wouldnt give it to her but then they would have to listen to her I'm hungry until we land. Like I said cereal bars and goldfish only do so much.

And that is a bunch of bull about the teen ager! They are old enough to know better. I am not going to do unnecessary things for an immature teenager, who should know better, or face the consequences.

And you say they don't want to do something, well then,You are asking us to have our kids and ourselves do things we don't want to. Why is it ok for us but not the allergy folks?

Dd doesnt like to wear her ankle braces but she does. My nephew nephew has a severe lung issues and doesn't like to use his nebulizer several times a day and his vest to help declog his lungs but he does. We all do things we don't want to. At some point a teenager is going to have to advocate for himself. Carrying an epi pen is the tip of the iceberg.

Of course if its my child I would do everything that you suggested , and I do. If my kids forgets their Epi-pens they get seriously grounded . If my kid didnt want to wear that mask I would hold it in place intil the danger was gone. But not all moms are comfortable with that. Each mom has to make hard choices between providing safety and alowing their child a sense of normalacy . Thankfully my kids are good about dong what they need to to stay safe , but I dont judge others who may not use masks or gloves when needed.

I also remember what its like to be a " I know more than everyone else" teenager. Even though my kid knows better and was raised to respect his allergy and take safety seriously, not everyones kid is.

Would I want some one elses teenager to have a reaction just because they were stupid enough to not carry that Epi ? Nope.You said they should deal with the consequences, but you do know those consequences are death right ? Most of us know that at that age most kids have this false sense of immortality . They do stupid crazy things sometimes.

If I see some kid skateboarding down a hill with headphones on and car coming toward him do I say " Stupid kid should know better." and let him get hit ? Or do I jump in and try to save the kid ? I would try to help him even if he was irresponsible. Its called compassion and love for others. But I think some people are to concerned with self entitlement to see what its really all about.

Do you think a smoker is entitled to smoke in a enclosed enviorment next to someone with a oxygen tank also? No one says anyone should not eat Pb or smoke or anything else. But a couple hours of refrain and consideration for others should not infringe upon your personal being to greatly.

Oh, I am sorry-let me try and simply it for you.

You stated:the masks draw attention and are embarrassing. They make a kid different.

To which I replied:
Ok, but if the Mom's are so emotional worrying their kids could die-why would they be concerned that wearing a mask makes the child different? I would do anything to keep my kid alive. If wearing a mask keeps then alive and healthy why not do it?

You stated (more than once-but not demanding)
Lighten up on the moms.

As far as what I am "talking" about, to put it simply-the best thing we can do as allergy parents is lose the emotion(we all know kids pick up on that). If more Mom's applied logic and not emotion, they may just find people trying to be reasonable.
You should direct your comments toward people who have disputed that.

And if you want your kids to wear masks, like Prince's kids, go for it.

I'm not here to criticize other people's parenting or to chastise them for being emotional when they have children who could die. If that's your thing, like I said, have at it.

But Puhleeze (!) direct your arguments about people not demanding stuff of others toward someone who actually did that.

I didn't read every single post in this thread, but I just had to make a request. I have a severely peanut allergic child. I don't expect all of the passengers to leave their PB&Js at home, but I do have one request (and I wish I could tell the whole wide world). If you do bring anything onto the plane for you or your kids to eat that contains peanuts, please wipe your hands and kids' hands with wet wipes afterward. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter