Anyone pack for 7 nights in a carry on? Any packing tips?

jacksmom

DIS Veteran
Packing 7 nights and Misc Disney stuff in a carry on seems almost impossible! Just wondering if anyone has any packing tips for 2 adults and a teen.

I don't, sorry, part of why we fly Alaska and have their Visa = no bag fee for the first bag. I will say packing cubes are your friend though.

We always use carry-ons only unless we are forced to do so. We use packing cubes, roll our clothes, favor light clothing / dresses / sports clothes instead of heavier shirts / pants. We fly with our sneakers and pack one pair of sandals. We also have a backpack where we put our toiletries. We do a grocery order where we buy sunscreen, snacks, drinks and extra toiletries if needed.
We hate waiting for our bags after getting off the plane - so carryon is the way to go for us!

I have the Osprey Porter 46 (this bag) and it's able to fit a week's worth of clothes. I put heavier items such as jeans, hoodies, etc. on the bottom and roll up shirts to lay on top of the heavier items. Lighter shoes are packed and I wear my sneakers. Same goes if I'm bringing a jacket. I've brought this exact bag on Southwest, United and Jetblue and haven't had any problems.

Then when I get to my destination, I stop by a grocery store on the way to my hotel to pick up things you can't bring in a carry on such as a flat of water, sunscreen, etc.

I've also brought this bag as a carry on for a 2 week trip to Hawaii but I would love to know how past me managed that 😅

I can pack a carryon for a week with ease but just wondering what the Disney misc.is/are ?

Week long trip would be 3 bottoms and 5 tops. You probably could add two more tops but I’ve no problem handwashing . Could be skirts, pants, dress or any combo. I ensure all my clothing are color coordinated and bring a nice amt of accessories to change my look around.

Two to three pairs of footwear especially for trips with a lot of walking. Allows one pair to rest while I wear the other. Last pair is special occasion if needed.

I roll clothing instead of using packing cubes; holds down on wrinkles.

HTH and have fun.

We've done a 16 night trip with carry-on only.
We do typically throw in a wash every 5 nights or so while we are in the pool or walking the resort.
We set the timer on the phone and find little things to do so it does not feel like a chore.
Then we don't have tons of sweaty clothes in the room either!

Pick 2 or 3 colors of bottoms. Say navy, khaki, white. Three bottoms for the week. Solid no patterns.

Six or seven tops - each top must go with all 3 colors -Think clear red, bright blue, kelly green, white solid tops or patterned so long as it goes with all three bottoms.

Wear one of those pants/top combos for travel.

Wear a white sweater or light jacket for travel.

Wear sneakers for travel, pack taupe walking sandals.

One sundress/summer dress optional.

One swimsuit, one workout gear if you will use. Undies, socks.

All done.

For me, it's not the clothing that's the problem. It's the other stuff, which takes up space whether it's a two-day trip or a two-week trip. I have skin issues, so I have to bring my own shampoo, conditioner, soap, soap dish (if you use the hotel's soap dish, the maid sometimes throws out your soap). I use an electric toothbrush. A comb, clips for my hair. Cell phone, wall charger, cable, portable charger. I have an Owner's Locker, so there's less stuff to pack for Disney trips, but that doesn't help when I'm traveling elsewhere.

For me, it's not the clothing that's the problem. It's the other stuff, which takes up space whether it's a two-day trip or a two-week trip. I have skin issues, so I have to bring my own shampoo, conditioner, soap, soap dish (if you use the hotel's soap dish, the maid sometimes throws out your soap). I use an electric toothbrush. A comb, clips for my hair. Cell phone, wall charger, cable, portable charger. I have an Owner's Locker, so there's less stuff to pack for Disney trips, but that doesn't help when I'm traveling elsewhere.
You might want to check the ingredient list for Dr. Bronner’s Castile soap and see if it works for you. It’s a liquid that will clean everything (except condition hair) that we use when camping. When staying in hotels I can use the better soap, body lotion, and conditioner provided so only need travel sized packets for face care. Or use a travel sized face soap with case- Clinique is readily available. Another 3-1 product is made by the Philosophy line with lots of scents via QVC and Sephora.

Like you, toiletries used to take up a lot of suitcase space but when I started looking into what was truly needed life became easier and lighter too.

And just a heads up, technology continues to progress and smaller items are available for electric device maintenance. Has become my new stocking stuffers and more appreciated than bills folded into roses and such.

My friend, I live for this kind of question! Obsessive "light packer" here. I've packed carryon-only for 10 nights in Scotland in the fall (with laundry), and 7 nights in Scandinavia (sans laundry), in the dead of winter! 7 nights in Orlando is totally doable. In fact, nobody in my family has ever checked a bag since the kids were born (which is the result of a long story: suffice it to say, I used to travel for work frequently, and learned the pitfalls of checking luggage).

Here are my tips, in no particular order:

1 - Make a packing list ahead of time (I do this for each member of the family, and they're great about using them), edit it carefully, and stick to it ruthlessly. This is where your carry-on plan will be made or broken! There won't be room for last-minute "maybe I'll need this" items. It's a guarantee that you will NOT need them, and even if you did, there's nothing you can't buy in Orlando. As long as you have your phones, IDs, travel documents, and prescription medications, everything else is non-essential.

2 - Organize each piece of luggage with packing cubes, which will make unpacking and repacking a breeze, and allow you to maximize your use of the available space. Better yet, get each person packing cubes in their own color. If you want to maximize every inch in the cubes, roll your clothes, or use a folding board the same size as the cube (I custom-made one myself from cardboard and duct tape!), to fold everything neatly. Also, pack whole outfits together (shorts+shirt+undies+socks) in the order you intend to wear them, rather than organizing items by "type" (shirts in one cube, underwear in another), so you don't need to root around in multiple places to find what you want every morning. For toiletries, use Ziploc bags, fabric pouches, or a pack-it-flat-style toiletry kit, which can be laid on top of things easily, rather than bulky dopp kit style bags that aren't as easy to pack around.

3 - Don't bring anything the hotel will provide (e.g., soap, shampoo, hairdryer, tissues), unless you have a genuine need for a specific brand of something. Also, don't double up on items that the family can share: e.g., you don't need more than one tube of toothpaste, container of dental floss, or First Aid kit.

4 - Since your liquids and gels need to fit in 3-1-1 bags, decant sunscreen, moisturizers, etc. into smaller containers, or buy sample sizes. I even bring a tiny tube of cream deodorant, to avoid bringing a big full-size container. I sometimes use an upcoming trip as an excuse to pick up a Clinique or Estee Lauder "free with purchase" pouch of skin care/makeup samples. I also pack a travel-size folding hairbrush, since my everyday one is enormous.

5 - Wear all of your bulkiest items (e.g., sneakers, hoodie, hat if you're bringing one, pants if seasonally appropriate) on the plane. When choosing clothes to pack, opt for lightweight, breathable "tech" fabrics, which don't wrinkle, can be washed and dried in no time, and fold down into practically nothing. Wherever possible, pack items that can do "double duty" (e.g., a fitness dress that doubles as a pool cover-up). Resist the urge to pack more outfits (or swimsuits, or PJs) than you absolutely need. Packing one extra shirt in case of a spill is okay: packing three extra outfits is not! DO NOT invest in "compression cubes," which are just in invitation to overpack, and to hurt yourself lugging around overly heavy luggage. Don't go overboard on footwear, which takes up a disproportionately large amount of space. A pair of sneakers (that you wear to travel), plus a sturdy pair of walking sandals that goes from the parks to the pool to dinner (e.g., Teva Tirra sandals in taupe or black), are plenty. Also, try to keep your traveling clothes and packed outfits in the same color family (e.g., black/gray, earth tones, red/white/blue, pink/teal/navy, so you can mix and match if and as needed.

6 - Make the most of your "personal items" for the plane. For yourself, bring a backpack or tote (depending on our destination and time of year, I bring a Baggallini Kindred tote, LL Bean Everyday Lightweight tote, or Eddie Bauer Stowaway backpack, that can double as our beach bag for the trip, and can be given to one of my kids to use as their "personal item" to hold souvenirs on the way home) that will fit under the seat. Your airline should specify the maximum dimensions for this. On your flight down, it can hold your purse/park bag (pre-packed with your wallet and phone, Band-Aids, tissues, Chapstick, sunglasses, MagicBands, rain poncho, etc.) plus breakfast foodstuffs, travel documents, chargers, additional electronics and earbuds, and other items you'll want for the journey -- and it will offer some extra "overflow" space in case your luggage fills up more quickly than expected. If you're still having trouble fitting everything in, outfit your spouse and teen with their own "personal item" backpacks, totes, or duffles (sized to fit under the seat in front of them) for overflow items.

7 - Consider bringing only half the clothes you need, and doing laundry in the middle of the week. We usually have a "pool afternoon" in the middle of a vacation anyway, and most laundry rooms are near the pools, so it's convenient. All you'll need is a "laundry kit" with a fabric laundry bag (or use the plastic laundry bag from your hotel room), and a sandwich bag with detergent sheets/powder pods, fabric softener sheets, and if needed, a few clothespins to line-dry fragile or delicate items. Disney sells these items in the laundry rooms, too, but we have some skin allergies in the family to some detergents, so we pack our own.

8 - When picking out luggage, keep in mind that rollaboards with 2 wheels (instead of the elevated roller bags with 4) offer a few extra inches of interior space, and that luggage that opens from the top like a trunk (rather than "clamshell" styles that open in the middle and get packed on both sides) can usually be packed with greater efficiency and flexibility.

*EXAMPLE: Here's what I packed for a 10-night trip to Scotland in the fall, during which I did visit an Inverness laundromat, although I was prepared to simply hand-wash and re-wear things: (1) a hobo tote for my "personal item" with everything I'd need on the plane; plus (2) a 22" wheeled carryon with packing cubes of clothes (5 pants, 6 long-sleeved tops, a smartwool sweater, long johns, underthings, socks, PJs), laundry and tote bags, slip-on shoes, etc., and an ebags "pack-it-flat" toiletry kit. For Orlando, I bring the same luggage and a slightly larger tote, and modify all of the contents to reflect the warmer destination -- which means I can pack for the full week with no laundry if I want to, since I'm just bringing lightweight shorts, breathable tops, and/or athletic dresses and rompers.

20170923_113850.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Osprey Porter 46 (this bag) and it's able to fit a week's worth of clothes. I put heavier items such as jeans, hoodies, etc. on the bottom and roll up shirts to lay on top of the heavier items. Lighter shoes are packed and I wear my sneakers. Same goes if I'm bringing a jacket. I've brought this exact bag on Southwest, United and Jetblue and haven't had any problems.

Then when I get to my destination, I stop by a grocery store on the way to my hotel to pick up things you can't bring in a carry on such as a flat of water, sunscreen, etc.

I've also brought this bag as a carry on for a 2 week trip to Hawaii but I would love to know how past me managed that 😅
I LOVE that Osprey pack. I went all over Europe with it.

I've found that rolling your clothes instead of folding them is a game-changer - it saves so much space and keeps everything wrinkle-free. Plus, packing versatile pieces that you can mix and match for different outfits is key.

You might want to check the ingredient list for Dr. Bronner’s Castile soap and see if it works for you. It’s a liquid that will clean everything (except condition hair) that we use when camping. When staying in hotels I can use the better soap, body lotion, and conditioner provided so only need travel sized packets for face care. Or use a travel sized face soap with case- Clinique is readily available. Another 3-1 product is made by the Philosophy line with lots of scents via QVC and Sephora.

Like you, toiletries used to take up a lot of suitcase space but when I started looking into what was truly needed life became easier and lighter too.

And just a heads up, technology continues to progress and smaller items are available for electric device maintenance. Has become my new stocking stuffers and more appreciated than bills folded into roses and such.
Thank you for posting, because this might be helpful for other people. Personally, I'm stuck with the stuff that dermatologist # 3 recommended for me when dermatologist # 1 and dermatologist # 2 could not figure out how to get my skin to stop itching. (And it was a Clinique product that set me off in the first place.)

I have been only taking carry-on for a few years now (and that is with an outfit for everyday. I sweat too much to wear something twice 🙄) Roll everything as others have said. ONLY bring what you will truly be wearing (be realistic). As far as toiletries, I put everything in small travel containers. Small brush. Wear the shoes you will be wearing on plane. Wear a sweatshirt you might need on the plane or wrap around waist. Only bring one pair of flip flops or sandals MAX. Bring limited and only necessary make-up.

I have tried the rolling method more than once and had to iron everything. My clothes are all cotton and I think that could be the issue. I now use packing cubes and fold things to fit using plastic between the layers so the material slides and doesn't wrinkle. It works great for me.

My husband and I did 3 weeks in Africa with carryons only. One larger duffle type bag thst fit in the overhead and another soft bag thst fit under the seat along with my backpack that served as my purse. Simple clothes in darker colors than can be reworn easily, rolled up. One nice blouse and black pants for evening. For me, one pair of gym shoes, one pair of hiking boots, a pair of flip flops and one pair of nice flats. For my husband, a pair of gym shoes and a pair of nice shoes. My husband brought enough underwear for a week. I brought 3 bras and a few pairs of socks thst fit inside my shoes plus disposable underwear which after wearing I threw away so my bag got lighter the longer the trip. Every hotel had shampoo and conditioner but just in case I found shampoo and conditioner on Amazon thst was dry and just needed water to activate.

I have tried the rolling method more than once and had to iron everything. My clothes are all cotton and I think that could be the issue. I now use packing cubes and fold things to fit using plastic between the layers so the material slides and doesn't wrinkle. It works great for me.
The vast majority of my clothing are made from natural fibers as well so I understand the wrinkling concern 😊.

I found that folding flat and hand smoothing did a world of good before rolling. This is not the method I use but DGD opted in for her long term stay in Europe: https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-tips/how-to-roll-clothes-packing

View the vids for a visual how to

I can do that long in only a carry on, I have a TravelPro Crew rollaboard that's the largest that fits on US mainline (I use a different rollaboard for international travel or Amtrak because it's so large it doesn't fit). In no particular order, here are my tips:
  • Most mens shoes are big, a pair of dress shoes and belt can take up 20% of my carry-on's space, but for WDW you still need something supportive. You know your feet best, but try to cut down here.
  • Don't go overboard on toiletries, makeup, et cetera. Start by packing the bare minimum you can live with.
  • Packing cubes can keep things organized, but don't increase capacity over neatly rolled and folded clothes.
  • Most of my space is taken up by non-clothing. Only packed with clothes, my carry-on can easily last for 3 weeks - chargers, laptops, tablets, cameras, magicbands, outerwear, consumables, and so on, add up quickly.
  • If purchasing a bag, a rollaboard has more room in it than a spinner, sometimes by quite a lot.
But honestly, my biggest advice is: there's three of you. If you do the math on how much more it costs to fit into a carry-on, because you're buying resort sunscreen or bringing travel sizes from home, and you're buying 100% of your snacks and so on, you'll realize you should just check a bag. Not a bag per person, just one total, and everybody throws some of their extra items in it (making sure if it's delayed it's not a big deal), plus the large consumables that you are not permitted to carry-on. Plus a couple of spare things like chargers and the like - remember, a decent checked bag is 3x the capacity of a typical carry-on, and at least 2x the capacity of the largest ones.

I've gotten checked bags for free for a while now, but even though my better half finds them very annoying, I still check fairly frequently because they save hundreds of dollars per week at the destination, and it's just the two of us traveling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter