Anyone know: Rock hit windshield in rental car

greenclan67

Callie35
Hi, We are here now, and during the miserable rain Thur andd Fri, we went to the Florida mall, and when we left to come back to the resort, my hubby turned the defrost on, and all of a sudden this small crack started accross the windshield. When we got back we looked at it, and it seems that a rock or something has hit the edge of the windshield, and when we turned the defrost on it started to spread accross the windshield. It isn't all the way accross, it is only a small short one accross his vision, not even half way.
Does anyone know what the rental company will do? We are just wondering what to expect!
TIA

I'm sorry this happened to you. I don't know what the rental car company will do, but I know when the same thing happened to my car, I had to have the whole windshield replaced (it was a hairline crack less than 1/3 across my windshield). It cost me around $300. I later found out that AAA offers a discount on this type of repairs, but I don't know how much.

I think it all depends on the auto rental company. If you are a frequent renter, they may not say anything. Here's what I'd do: I'd call my insurance company and find out what kind of coverage my personal insurance company gives me for a rental car. When I turn the car back to the rental company I'd probably not say anyting and let them point it out. If they point it out, then go from there.

Some of the more sleezy rental agencies might try to charge you for days the car is not available while waiting for the repair. The most I'd accept is 1 day since window replacement is fast.

Good Luck

We only have the insurance our credit card company covers, so I will have to look there. We rented through Alamo. We are hoping not much happens. I will check my credit card ans see what it says!

I would call right away. If not go over to Swan or dolphin or BV Palace they have rental counter there. Maybe they can help.

Kae

(writing reminder to myself on palm of hand for inclusion on a travel checklist) When inspecting a rental car at the lot prior to driving off, check all glass for dings, adding notation on damage sheet that "ding could expand into long crack at any time".

Car rental hints: http://www.cockam.com/carrent.htm

Actually had that happen on my own car, drove over a bump and a ding that had been on the glass for several months turned into a crack.

Most states require that the windshield be replaced if there is any crack or sometimes if a starburst has started to form around a ding.

I had a rental car that got a crack in the windshield and I had to replace it. It cost $316. Very frustrating as I didn't need that extra expense - even with insurance, glass is almost always excluded.

If you have comprehensive coverage on your personal automobile policy, it should cover the windshield on the rental, less any deductible.

We had a windshield crack with a National rental, told the clerk when the car was returned, and never heard about it again. We did not take the optional insurance.

We got a star shaped crack in the windshield of a rental car once. My DH took it to a glass place and they fixed it before we returned the car.

Some of the more sleezy rental agencies might try to charge you for days the car is not available while waiting for the repair. The most I'd accept is 1 day since window replacement is fast.

Good Luck

The agency can't rent the car until they replace the windshield. What happens if they decide to wait until the renter (or his insurance company) pays before they get it fixed? What's sleazy is charging loss of use if half the fleet is sitting in the lot unrented. The OP may get hit with more then 1 day loss of use. Legit if he has a car type in demand.

I had a rental car that got a crack in the windshield and I had to replace it. It cost $316. Very frustrating as I didn't need that extra expense - even with insurance, glass is almost always excluded.

Glass is generally included. Many people have a deductible of at least $500. Some people have glass waiver.

If you have comprehensive coverage on your personal automobile policy, it should cover the windshield on the rental, less any deductible.

Depends on your policy and your state. Coverage to a rental vehicle could be treated as property damage. It could also be the same as coverage you have for your own car.

This is correct. Also, under Florida law, there is no deductible for windshields. Of course you have to have Comp coverage on your policy. Any insurance provided by the credit card you used is excess to your Comp coverage.

Also, if you're returning the Alamo car to the airport, the windshield damage is not likely to be noticed by the person returning the car. They hop from car to car quickly.

BobK/Orlando

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter