Anyone Ever Drive From Ohio The Buckeye State

AI is just south of us. I don't know if it is actually a town or not? LOL! But the public school used to be there.(the building is still there though) And now a carryout is there. Now all the schools are next to Evergreen HS. St. Mary's is in Assumption, well actually it is now Holy Trinity, but when I went there it was St. Mary's. They tore that school down too and built a new one.

AI is just south of us. I don't know if it is actually a town or not? LOL! But the public school used to be there.(the building is still there though) And now a carryout is there. Now all the schools are next to Evergreen HS. St. Mary's is in Assumption, well actually it is now Holy Trinity, but when I went there it was St. Mary's. They tore that school down too and built a new one.
AI probably qualifies for whatever is smaller than a village. I feel like I can say that without offending anyone because I know people who live there. ;) Also, I love small towns! They usually have a lot of character. I realized after I posted that Assumption/St. Mary's is not really the same place even though we always thought of it as the same when we were kids. Our family's claim to fame on the old school building in AI was that my Dad was walking up the sidewalk when he collapsed and had to be taken home. He had contracted polio. Anyway, Evergreen was lucky to get into the state's program to help build new schools. We are hoping to pass a similar levy here although it's been defeated twice so far and the money will be taken back from the district if it doesn't pass in August. Isn't it funny about that carry-out? You're just driving along in the country and out of no where, there's a carry out.
Yikes! What does this have to do with driving to WDW? ummmm. Well, if you live South of Airport Hwy, in the area we are talking about it will take you an additional 15 minutes or so. This is the approximate time to get you up County Road 4 to Airport. :)

Sorry for the TJ!

We are from Mt. Vernon and it has taken us about 16 hours the two times we drove. We haven't driven down the last 4 times because we have always gotten pretty good airfare and then we had DD and didn't know how we would get through 16 hours with a baby and then a toddler in tow.
We may drive again sometime, just don't know when since prices keep going up for gas.

personally I would drive up to the Akron Canton airport and take Airtran. The rates are around $80 each way. And saves on the wear and tear on the car. Saves four days of travel that can be used at Disney. What happens if you get into an traffic tie up now you are using more gas to sit idled and more time.
Oh don't forget that the estimate on the gas does not factor in the extra gas to climb up the hills on the way there nor the gas consumption to run the air conditioning round trip.
What if you get a flat tire on the way there? Now you have the added expense of getting it fixed and the wasted time to unload the trunk, change the tire, find a place to get a new tire, wait for tire to be installed!

still debating the drive, my DW is pushing to fly but not sure if the flight and rental car will be worth it once there. We drove last time with a 3 yr old in January and hit a snow storm in Huntingon WV. this time we will have a yr old and a 2 yr old. We pack the mini van wtih plenty of snacks, juice boxes and milk jugs and leave around 3 am. BY the time they wake up i am about 5 hors into a 12 hour drive until we stop. for teh day. I prefer to stop around 3-4 hours out of Orlando, this way i can get a good sleep and get them up early to get to disney to check in. MAN I NEED TO RETHINK THIS MAYBE DW IS RIGHT.

We are from the Canton area and we've done it all-flown, taken the train, driven. Personally I don't mind driving, I look at it as family time. (Plus I don't like the fly!) We usually stop on Savannah on the way down. I think it usually takes us around 16-17 hours.

Ok...update: We drove it in Sept. and it took us about 18 hours with lots of mini-stops (gas,drive-thrus,bathroom breaks). Not too bad. I drank a LOT of sugar-free Red Bull!! My DH and I switched off every 4 hours or so and took turns resting.:thumbsup2

Yhats really goodtime. What part of OH? I live at the top on the MI border and I think we can't do it less than 20 in the past.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter