Anyone Ever Drive From Ohio The Buckeye State

AKERSDCL00

Earning My Ears
We're going the first week of June and driving with 3 kids. How long can we expect this drive to last. We're starting from Marion which is central Ohio. I've heard about 16 hours but we thought it would be longer than that? Thanks for any imput:confused3

We drove from Worthington, just north of Columbus (It takes me just about 1 hour to drive to Marion from my house). Our drive last Jan was in excellent weather and road conditions and took 17 1/2 hours. This included fast food stops for lunch and dinner of less than 30 minutes and gas/bathroom stops of 5-10 minutes every 3 hours or so.

Hope this helps. Quite honestly, we are spoiled and always fly. This was an exception as we were taking DS and his car down for the Disney College program :thumbsup2

Switching off drivers and having music, old time radio shows on the IPOD and dvds really helped pass the time, but I am definitely a confirmed flyer :rolleyes1

I know there are 2 routes from our part of the country. I can ask my DH which we used if you are interested.

:surfweb:

I live in PA and have family in OH near Columbus. We drove to OH to pick them up and made the trip from there. It was quite a haul, but we enjoyed every minute of it. It took us right around 16 1/2 hours. We stop somewhat regularly for food and bathroom breaks.

I'm a bit south of Cleveland and we count on 18 hours. We do stop overnight (usually around Orangeburg, SC) as I'm simply too old to pull of a drive that long by myself anymore. It's also nice to arrive relatively refreshed and ready to have a nice afternoon of swimming, relaxing, etc. I suggest picking up a Cracker Barrel map and planning your stops accordingly. We stop every 2-3 hours for a Cracker Barrel break b/c we can count on them for clean bathrooms and the little Dover books give the kids a little pick-me-up for the next leg of the trip. It also smells nice and gives you a chance to have a "bum break" for a few minutes.

i am from springfield and drove christmas night 2005. me personally would drive there for anything. it just isnt worth it. so excited to get there and then once your there u r so tired from the drive. then knowing that u have to drive all that way back makes me sick to even think about. but to each its their own. good luck and enjoy

No I have never driven. We are in southern NH and friends of ours drove from here with two kids. They said that being in the care for that long with kids was some one of the worst times of their lives. It put everyone in a bad mood that lasted a couple of days into the trip. Next time they sprung for the plane fair. I know their kids. They are pretty well behaved for the most part. 5 and 7 at the time. But typical kids. Good luck. Have a magical time.pixiedust:

If your driving to save money, after we figured all the expenses that go along with driving Ie: fuel, several food stops, wear and tear, 1 night lodging, tolls, etc.
We live just south of Canton round trip is around 2200 miles @ 22mpg = 100 gallons @ $3.50 gal $350 just in fuel!!
our estimate to drive there was around $1000 for family of 5 we were planning on renting a car for the drive down.
We found airfare for $1045 round trip non-stop 2.5hr trip!! we'll rent a car down there for cheaper then up here for some reason.
Just a thought

I am from around BG 30 min. south of Toledo. We used to go down every year with 3 children(sometimes Mickey my yorkie). It took us 18 hrs straight down 75. Stopping for restroom breaks and gas, mostly drive thrus to eat. Hoping to ride a goldwing down this summer.Kids are grown and gone so it will be just dh and me.That should be interesting. And will it be the same with no kids?

We're from northeastern Ohio and long ago we used to drive, many times to WDW. Way back when we used to do the Pa turnpike to get to I 95 in Dc, the Breezewood break of olden days. Then I-77 became into being, real time saver, but mountaintous, took us 19 hours, straight-thru and a few times we did the I-80 to I-71 to Cincinnati and picked up I-75 south to florida, less traffic less hilly route and took alittle longer, like 21 hours. I guess for us the better and fastest route to WDW was I-77, remember these times are from the 80's, speed limits were 55 MPH. We haven't driven to WDW in 20 years, just got to hectic with the semi's and price of gas, and yes, we just got too old, we go by Amtrak now, 26 plus hours by train but no headaches, no gas, no stress and no stopping.

I live west of Toledo and I think it probably took us 18 to 20 hours going down 75. We did stop in Ocala I beleive and then took off for the parks the next morning. So it's hard to pinpoint it exactly. It's a long ride with kids. We drove at night as much as we could. We now fly.

We are driving this year due to stopping and seeing the ocean/family outside of Jacksonville. We live in central IL, anyone have any advice for us. There will be a total of 7 of us, also how long does the drive normally take?

I have made that drive down and back once, 2 adults 3 kids in the car... avoid this situation if at all possible.

We have driven a few times from Columbus, Ohio. We are planning on doing the drive again this coming September. We really don't mind the drive too much. We usually stop in Savannah, Ga. Twice we went a little out of the way and stayed at Hilton Head Island. I really like road trips and it's great to have our own car at Disney. :thumbsup2

I'll just through this out there. I'm from Ohio about 30 min south of Cleveland. A neighbor of ours told us about the auto train.Amtrak does it. You drive to Virgina(I can't remember the name of the town) get on the train eat on the train sleep on the train..oh yeah your car comes with you. When you wake up the next morning you're in a little town 40 min from Orlando. For my family of 4 it's $700 FYI HTH

From Columbus, Google recommends taking I-70 to I-77, to I-26, to I-95, to I-4. Looking at the map, I might be tempted to cut that first angle by taking US 33 out of Columbus southeast to US 50, eastward to where it intersects with I-77 at Parkersburg WV. Google says to expect 17 hrs and 47 minutes taking the all-interstate route, so you have to add the hour or so from Marion to Columbus. Enjoy your trip!

Important disclaimer: Your mileage may vary. This is a suggested route only; you should check with state and local officials to determine the suitability of this routing for your own purposes. Time does not include unforseen delays due to accident, breakdown, construction, weather, or crazed DIS fan reactions to same. Not responsible for speeding tickets received from Ohio State Police.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter