• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone ever do a solo cruise? Considering my first.

jourknee2master

Earning My Ears
Looking to potentially (hopefully book the wish) for a 3day weekend getaway. My SO will be on a trip w/ family & I am considering a first solo (non work trip) on cruise.

Im in my late 20’s, no kids, just a big Disney & cruise line fan. I love the ships and the service on them. Looking to relax.

Any pros or cons?

The biggest pro for me would be having the stateroom all to myself and being able to get up in the middle of the night to go out on the balcony for stargazing or to jump out of bed for an early morning swim in a deserted pool without disturbing my cabin mate.

I am booked on my first solo cruise in September and I have booked another for end August 2023. I have been doing solo travel in America and Europe for the last 20 years, so now I have decided to try solo cruising :)

I did one in January, and I'm booked to do another one next January.
Cons: noone to share your excitement with on the ship
Pros: bed to yourself, freedom to do whatever, whenever.

I'm doing my first solo cruise soon on NCL, so I'll let you know how it goes. I've heard mixed to negative reviews on Disney, saying how there are very few solo travellers and almost all the activities and meals are designed for groups. It's also the same price for 1 or 2 people, so you can literally bring a friend for free, and I think most people do this.

I also am doing my first solo cruise on NCL. December. If you go before me let us know. If I go before you I'll let you know.

And like jimmymc says, I don't think Disney is made too much for solos. I like the new big ships. Lots to do and see.

So I'm back from my trip, and I can report on cruising solo with NCL.

1. Having a balcony stateroom to myself was amazing. It was comfortable and I can't imagine trying to fit 4 people in there, but as one it's plenty of room.
2. NCL is supposed to be really good for solo travelers with activities, but I found the main ones were going to dinner and in the evening together. Not much going on outside of that in terms of meeting other solos.
3. As a result, some of the sea days had a lot of downtime. I wish I had brought a book, some movies, or anything else to pass the time during the day. This was an Alaska cruise, so I didn't spend too much time swimming. I know Disney does a good job of filling in these days with character meets and daytime shows/movies, plus on a 3 night you usually don't have sea days.
4. While they did have some daytime entertainment, it was almost all gambling-related or trivia, and those just don't appeal to me. Same with most of the gameshows at night. NCL had 3 nighttime shows performing multiple times per cruise, but Disney might be lacking here.
5. Dinner and the shows were great. The servers do a good job of pacing the meal when you're on your own so you don't sit around bored but also aren't rushed. On NCL I always had my own table, but with Disney you'll probably be placed in a table with other adult groups. They shouldn't put you with families with kids.
6. I really want to try Disney to Alaska, but I think I might bring a friend or go as a group.

So I'm back from my trip, and I can report on cruising solo with NCL.

1. Having a balcony stateroom to myself was amazing. It was comfortable and I can't imagine trying to fit 4 people in there, but as one it's plenty of room.
2. NCL is supposed to be really good for solo travelers with activities, but I found the main ones were going to dinner and in the evening together. Not much going on outside of that in terms of meeting other solos.
3. As a result, some of the sea days had a lot of downtime. I wish I had brought a book, some movies, or anything else to pass the time during the day. This was an Alaska cruise, so I didn't spend too much time swimming. I know Disney does a good job of filling in these days with character meets and daytime shows/movies, plus on a 3 night you usually don't have sea days.
4. While they did have some daytime entertainment, it was almost all gambling-related or trivia, and those just don't appeal to me. Same with most of the gameshows at night. NCL had 3 nighttime shows performing multiple times per cruise, but Disney might be lacking here.
5. Dinner and the shows were great. The servers do a good job of pacing the meal when you're on your own so you don't sit around bored but also aren't rushed. On NCL I always had my own table, but with Disney you'll probably be placed in a table with other adult groups. They shouldn't put you with families with kids.
6. I really want to try Disney to Alaska, but I think I might bring a friend or go as a group.
I sail solo on Celebrity (have another trip in 28 days(!) to Alaska myself), and I really enjoy it.

It's awesome to have a room to yourself. I don't have any issues storing all my things. I don't have to worry that if I have insomnia, that I'll wake up my partner. I can watch TV at 6am if I want.

There is a lot of downtime on sea days. I do a variety of crafts - cross stitch, crochet, sewing - so sometimes a quarter of my suitcase is projects. I also like the trivia, bingo, etc during the day. I bring a ton of books on my Kindle. Celebrity also often offers a ship tour on one of the sea days and I do that every cruise (it's awesome!).

I don't mind eating by myself, but I sometimes end up chatting with people next to me. With the move towards more people being seated at 2-tops, sometimes people want to chat with the table next to them. I have had issues with the pacing of the meal at times. I also don't go to main dining every night. The Oceanview Cafe has great food at dinner too.

I have been to Alaska with my partner, so I'm interested to see how different it is to go by myself, but I have enough solo experience I think it will be great!

Celebrity has solo balcony rooms on the Apex class ships - I am booked in one on a transatlantic next year. I can't wait to try it.

I sail solo on Celebrity (have another trip in 28 days(!) to Alaska myself), and I really enjoy it.

It's awesome to have a room to yourself. I don't have any issues storing all my things. I don't have to worry that if I have insomnia, that I'll wake up my partner. I can watch TV at 6am if I want.

There is a lot of downtime on sea days. I do a variety of crafts - cross stitch, crochet, sewing - so sometimes a quarter of my suitcase is projects. I also like the trivia, bingo, etc during the day. I bring a ton of books on my Kindle. Celebrity also often offers a ship tour on one of the sea days and I do that every cruise (it's awesome!).

I don't mind eating by myself, but I sometimes end up chatting with people next to me. With the move towards more people being seated at 2-tops, sometimes people want to chat with the table next to them. I have had issues with the pacing of the meal at times. I also don't go to main dining every night. The Oceanview Cafe has great food at dinner too.

I have been to Alaska with my partner, so I'm interested to see how different it is to go by myself, but I have enough solo experience I think it will be great!

Celebrity has solo balcony rooms on the Apex class ships - I am booked in one on a transatlantic next year. I can't wait to try it.
I think I ended up doing 4 specialty dinners, 1 buffet, and 2 main restaurants. In the specialty I was always placed at a 2-top and sometimes I talked to the table next to me. In the main restaurants I ended up at a 4 top by myself that was kind of spaced out from the other tables, which was fine too.

Bringing things to do on sea days is my biggest lesson learned from my first cruise. Also making a daily schedule so I don't miss any of the activities I want to do. The one downside of NCL's freestyle dining is that you have to coordinate your meals with the shows on your own, so I ended up having to change my dining reservations on the first day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter