Anyone else staggered by ticket prices?

If a business can't pay living wages then that business should not exist.
Wouldn't that mean the person scanning your ticket at Disney should be making like $60k for SoCal "living wages"?

I do think a lot of the higher ticket prices are crowd control. I think Disney is largely happy with the number of people in the park and I absolutely recall a few years back them stating that they were trying to improve customer satisfaction on over crowding by increasing ticket prices to lower demand, so I totally think this is a thing they do.

I will admit that I'm a little surprised things have remained so strong for them this long. Back in the early summer I thought tides may have shifted by now and crowds might start to thin out and Disney would need to pull some demand levers (promos). Doesn't appear to be the case.

So you are saying that pretty much every fast food restaurant in America should either double their prices or close up shop?
I will yes

If you can't pay people to live then your business is literally just a set up for the rich to increase their wealth

But This is Disney, they can easily double CM's pay and it would not sink the parks. They literally sell alcoholic drinks for almosr 20 bucks an hour and sell them at all parks now.....if they can't make money on all the food, drinks like soda which are basically free profits and genie plus which is also basically free profits then they are doing something very wrong

Or raise it up so high that it actually gives them a real advantage over just a shorter line.

If Genie+ was $99 it would mean ZERO wait for them, & the rest of us would be regular standby, similar to no genie+ at all, but they would still get their extra income from the Club 33 folks. ;)
That certainly works for 6-Flags. I HATE the 6-Flags pay-for-cuts but it works WAY better than G+.
Problem with Disney is it's a "once-in-a-lifetime" experience and there may not be a price high enough. After all, lots of people buy G+ at Epcot and it's entirely unnecessary. If you RD you really only need it for 2 rides. It makes more sense for the Club 33 set to just take a VIP tour to get cuts.

So you are saying that pretty much every fast food restaurant in America should either double their prices or close up shop?
So you are in favor of all fast food places closing, and general food prices increasing by 50%?
Yes & yes. :smooth:
Who is supposed to do those jobs that doesn't need to make a living.?? lol

I hate fast food, you can pay for quality food or you can pay for medical bills & pills. Take your pick.

Disneyland is expensive. You can go to Knott's, or Universal, or a lot of other places that cater to that kind of crowd for a whole lot less money and have a great time.

Those places have cool things. But is it Disney cool? No.

Disney is so popular because it's amazing. It can entertain you for days and still have more that you didn't experience. It has history, nostalgia, and top-notch creativity. It has a dedicated fan base because it offers outstanding entertainment that isn't rivaled by other venues, at least not yet. Keeping it fresh, fun, exciting, beautiful, etc is expensive. I can't say whether or not the cost is justified, and I'm just as bummed by rising ticket prices as anyone, but it's disingenuous to want everything pristine and fully staffed and workers that have a living wage and good benefits and then decry the high cost of the ticket.

I'd much rather go to Disneyland than a ball game or a concert, which aren't exactly cheap.

I would like to see some changes (for instance, I really dislike the Genie+ model and the dining reservation system), but there have always been things I'd change if it were up to me.

Another thing with DLR is that the tickets are mainly overpriced if you're only going for a day.

This is either incredibly naïve or just cruel. Who is supposed to fill the soda in the mornings while the teens are in school?
It has nothing to do with cruelty, and being naive is thinking that evey job in the world should equal lifetime employment.

The reality of all this is, if service industry wages are pushed much higher, most of those people are going to lose their jobs anyway.

There are already soda filling robots delivering drinks to drive through windows. I know for a fact that Burger King and McDonalds are working on robots that will accurately grill a burger on a cooktop then assmble it as ordered.

The cost of emplyees is still just a bit lower than the cost to buy and run a robot. If it shifts, things will get ugly - not for the consumer, for the employees.

Last edited:
Disneyland is expensive. You can go to Knott's, or Universal, or a lot of other places that cater to that kind of crowd for a whole lot less money and have a great time.

Those places have cool things. But is it Disney cool? No.

Disney is so popular because it's amazing. It can entertain you for days and still have more that you didn't experience. It has history, nostalgia, and top-notch creativity. It has a dedicated fan base because it offers outstanding entertainment that isn't rivaled by other venues, at least not yet. Keeping it fresh, fun, exciting, beautiful, etc is expensive. I can't say whether or not the cost is justified, and I'm just as bummed by rising ticket prices as anyone, but it's disingenuous to want everything pristine and fully staffed and workers that have a living wage and good benefits and then decry the high cost of the ticket.

I'd much rather go to Disneyland than a ball game or a concert, which aren't exactly cheap.

I would like to see some changes (for instance, I really dislike the Genie+ model and the dining reservation system), but there have always been things I'd change if it were up to me.

Another thing with DLR is that the tickets are mainly overpriced if you're only going for a day.
You can still go to a Ducks game for about $30 - VERY affordable IMHO!
We've had APs and found that the law of diminishing returns is real. We'd find ourselves going to DL "because we had to" because the pass wasn't blacked out we didn't already have other plans. Either that or you are only going for a couple of hours and calling it a "day". Either way, we now only go once in a long while, spend the whole day, spend less in the long run and get more for our money. YMMV...

And once again…we’re off on a tangent about COL and salaries and people getting off subject.

Is it expensive to go to Disneyland? YES. Many of you have pointed out there are numerous theme park options that are less expensive. Go there. Or…save your money for a few years and then go to Disneyland.

We live in such a society of entitlement now. No one is owed a trip to Disneyland…or Europe…or HawaiI or wherever you choose to go for your relaxation (although I have had many Disney trips that were not “relaxing” unless you consider walking ten miles a day and closing the park “relaxing” and I know there are those of the same mind here on the board 😊)

Disney is a huge corporation, just like Apple. If you can’t afford an iPhone, you’ll get something else but hopefully don’t stand around badmouthing Apple because they charge too much.

I have been going to Disney Parks for over 50 years. My first AP was $259…my first MK was $1099. Sticker shock…heck,yes. But to walk through those gates, hear the music, the smells, the ambience worth every penny TO ME. It’s my personal choice, rather than going on a cruise or laying on a beach. No, I’m not rich, I live on a fixed income, I drive a 20-year-old car, live in a modest home, not in a fancy neighborhood. Disneyland is my major entertainment, 4 times a year. AGAIN, my choice.

Thank God we live in a country with free will and have the option to choose how to spend (or not spend).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter