Anyone else here NOT in the holiday spirit?

4forMe

DIS Veteran
i am really struggling to get through this week.

My father has been in and out of the hospital the past month. He is being transferred to rehab today, and we don't know if he will be able to leave the facility to celebrate Christmas with us. I was really sick the first week of December which put me behind on shopping, wrapping, etc. I'm also having some ongoing health problems right now. This is the first year ever I will skip sending out Christmas cards.

The main problem I'm having is that I host Christmas Eve every year and really don't want to this year. I forgot to call in the catering place I use and when I called, they no longer have availability. I just really want to cancel but my family (mom, brother, my kids, etc) would be furious. I will just be happy when Monday is here.

Anyone else feeling the same?

Last edited:
I totally get you. My dad passed away earlier this year and mom and I are doing our best to ignore the holidays. It's been a real struggle to get the few gifts I do have to get, and send out a few cards. I keep putting it off.

You know what? Who says Christmas Eve has to be catered? What matters is spending time with the family. Someone (not you) can pick up a deli tray and some rolls and salads. Or a bunch of pizzas. Or you can all order Chinese food and someone (not you) can go pick it up. Someone (not you) can pick up a bunch of desserts at a bakery or the grocery store. If your mom and brother and kids would be furious without a Christmas Eve celebration, they can help put it together.

And the shopping and wrapping? Nobody's gonna die if they get their gift on New Year's instead of Christmas. :)

I'm not feeling it either. I've barely done any shopping, and my FIL has been sick (was just admitted to the hospital today) with pneumonia on top of Parkinson's. MIL is totally stressed. Alas, my three littles are over the moon, so I will pull it together somehow.

My father has been in and out of the hospital the past month. He is being transferred to rehab today, and we don't know if he will be able to leave the facility to celebrate Christmas with us. I was really sick the first week of December which put me behind on shopping, wrapping, etc. I'm also having some ongoing health problems right now. This is the first year ever I will skip sending out Christmas cards.

The main problem I'm having is that I host Christmas Eve every year and really don't want to this year. I forgot to call in the catering place I use and when I called, they no longer have availability. I just really want to cancel but my family (mom, brother, my kids, etc) would be furious. I will just be happy when Monday is here.

No you are not alone. And I would let people know that if they would like to do the hosting have it they may do so. You are not there to please people. We all have things we go through, and sometimes it is okay to say no to people. If they want to be angry that is on them not you. And no reason to feel guilty about saying no to someone. There have to be boundaries lines in place. If not they know they can push you into anything. I have had people get mad at me for saying no, but i am human and won't let people push me into something I am not up for. We are not doing Christmas this either. :hug:

I was doing fine until I got a bad stomach bug Saturday night. Now I'm trying to get my mojo back. Ate solid food for the first time this morning, excited about trying an actual small meal tonight. Yay.... :rolleyes:

OP, put it back on the group. Tell them you'll provide the site but everybody needs to bring food or it's a no-go.

do gift bags from the dollar store instead of wrapping. just as pretty and much easier on you. and I'm right there with you, no Christmas spirit for me this year at all.

Yep. Order some Chinese food and skip the presents. Keep it simple and just enjoy each other's company.
I know, I know. Easier said then done. If someone complains, disown them. :rolleyes:

I know what you're saying. First of all, we do Chinese every Christmas Eve. It became a tradition many years ago. Maybe you could start a new tradition!

I've been out of work for 13 months and after a phone call this afternoon it looks like nothing is going to get better any time soon. At this point I don't want any of the "hoop-la" and just want to quietly celebrate the birth of Christ. Nothing else. I'm done with the struggles. However, I don't think that would go over big with the family.

The main problem is the selfish expectations of your family. If they want a catered meal, let one of them arrange and host it.

Spent Thanksgiving week in the hospital with pneumonia and have been very weak ever since. Haven't been able to do the malls and others stores for Christmas presents. Thank goodness for Amazon but not being able to run around at Christmas time can be difficult. We even canceled our annual Christmas bonfire (if you read about it on another thread) because I'm too weak and tired to help put it on. Being sick at Christmas is soooooo not fun. :(

I totally understand. My dad passed away just after Christmas 13 years ago, my mom passed away 4 years ago. We still see my siblings and their families but it just isn't the same.

My sister and I had a disagreement about a week ago and I'm still thinking about it. Also, I have a start date for my infusions so I am thinking ahead to that date and all I want to get done before that..including cooking and freezing two weeks worth of meals.

My sister and I had a disagreement about a week ago and I'm still thinking about it. Also, I have a start date for my infusions so I am thinking ahead to that date and all I want to get done before that..including cooking and freezing two weeks worth of meals.

What kind of infusions Kimblebee? :hug:

Sometimes, you have to fake it until you feel it. Sometimes, you have to hurt people's feelings a little regarding their expectations and you're abilities. You sound really tapped, OP. Do you think hosting the dinner would make you feel better in the end? Or not. If you think once you get into the swing of it, you'll be glad you did, go for it. If you won't, it's time to tell the siblings that you just can't this year. Sorry. Let them be mad.

I'm right there with you. I am generally the biggest Christmas Cheerleader, but I'm not feeling it this year, I do not think I even want to try to turn it around.

We're with you OP. Our 5yr DD had strep over Thanksgiving and DW took her back to the DR last week for a cough she's had for a couple weeks. Test came back yesterday and it's whooping cough. We've told family we'll be staying home.

Definitely not feeling it. As per usual, my mom wants a big "to do" (fancy plates, ridiculous amount of food, etc) but doesn't want to actually do any of the work. DW is so exasperated I'm not sure she's even going. Then there's my inlaws who insist on a Christmas Day get together. Ugh

I partially tore my calf muscle at work the day after Thanksgiving and am still limited in my mobility. I have to use a crutch or cane for any walking still and, if I am moving around a lot, I have to wear a boot. It's exhausting to do any shopping like that so I have not been able to do as much as I normally would.

I have also been ill on and off since early September and have another cold right now.

I am not looking forward to spending the holidays with my family either because of drama. I can't go into details, but lets just say stress levels are high all around and it's just not fun. Luckily I have the 2 days off after Christmas so I can spend some time alone after all the insanity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter