Anyone else have travel anxiety?

mommymanda

I must admit my trip is not even planned for another 7 months and I have a few thoughts that not traveling in a couple of years has raised.

My sister is going to help me put the *Calm App* on my phone.
I never knew until recently that she suffers from overwhelming Anxiety at times.

I am traveling with 2 of my sons,,, which helps a lot of my anxiety over becoming ill with Covid and needing someone's help. (4 Covid vaccine shots,,, immune compromised).

Tips to help overcome anxiety about traveling
  1. Identify your triggers. ...
  2. Plan for certain scenarios. ...
  3. Plan for responsibilities at home while you're away. ...
  4. Bring plenty of distractions. ...
  5. Practice relaxation. ...
  6. Travel with friends. ... or family
  7. Consider medication. ...
  8. Find the positives in traveling
I actually wrote these out and I am working on each one ,,, it's helping.
Making lists helps me...... BIG TIME
Being prepared is super important (Drs ,Medication list, Insurance company, allergies etc.),, I made a wallet size card with everything on it.
** Positive thoughts** Think of all the things you want to do on holidays, things you'll see ,,things you'll taste,, things you'll buy etc.

You can and will get through this Hon
Best wishes
Mel

Last edited:
Do you know how many times I check for our passports on the way to the airport? TOO MANY TIMES!
I have pulled over on the way to the airport to check I have my passport many times, when I've already checked before, during and after leaving the house. I went one time without it, and I've never forgotten the panic of thinking we'd miss our trip because of me (we just made it!).

I love planning. I even know that I will over plan and change my mind many times. My anxiety starts when I pull my suitcases out and start to think about packing. I normally start with throwing things in totes that I think I will need a month or more earlier. Then a few weeks before we go I really start to go through and organize. This trip will be a whole new world for us, we are travelling with my daughter and her boyfriend and our first grandbaby. He will be 8-9 months when we go. I am sure my packing anxiety along with everything else will be over the top.

I definitely feel this way. I hyper plan everything like using reminders to make sure I check off everything. heck, I do a paper checklist as well just in case. I also carry a notebook on our trip (with ADR numbers, confirmation numbers, critical info, etc) as a paper copy just in case something happens to the phone. I have overall anxiety and if it gets really bad, I tend to get nauseated so I take an anti-nausea drug and it sort of mellows me out.

I have a trip in Sept and I already have anxiety/stress dreams about the Pearson.

As the designated travel agent for the family, I find travel very stressful. I worry about departure times, seat comfort, missed connections, delayed flights, missed airport transfers, hotel ressie mix-ups, icky hotel rooms, choosing restaurants and getting reservations. You get the idea. I go overboard on the planning, hate flying with a passion, but tend to settle in once I’m at my destination.

As someone who deals with anxiety on a daily basis on top of being Bipolar, travelling is very stressful. Planning takes a huge toll on my energy (a part of depression that doesn't get much acknowledgement is that mental work is as tiring as physical!) and I need it broken down into small chunks. I use lists, print out packing charts, take copies of all of our important papers - passports, health cards, drivers licenses, credit cards front & back, any emails connected to reservations - and put them in a folder that fits in the front of my carryon. I can easily refer to it and those have saved our butts multiple times! Also helps when i get so stressed that I can't talk without crying, I can just pull out the right paper and hand it to hubby.

Here's a practical tip for anyone who finds themselves mid panic/anxiety attack that works if you practice it before you are a puddle on the floor. It's the 5-1 process:
Count:

• 5 things you can see
  • 4 things you can touch
  • 3 things you can hear
  • 2 things you can smell
  • 1 thing you can taste
That should give your breathing a chance to settle and get back to the present space and time. Also, keep some type of "touch" item in your pocket or a fidget ring that you can use to ground yourself.

I worry less now than when we started travelling. I'm usually prepared for everything but always find I worry about expenses, even though I've budgeted and am prepared. I find I have to remind myself that I am prepared and all will be well. Once we get to the destination, then I can relax and remind myself to enjoy it and not start worrying about the trip home. I do have to talk to myself a bit and remind myself that everything is ok, that we are having fun. Don't worry about home, or the pets, everything is good.

My big stress is when we fly, at what point will kiddo start throwing up. Last time it was in the driveway before we even got in the car to go to the airport. Doesn't matter what we do. So he hates to fly and gets very stressed before we travel, two weeks before he'll start asking to cancel the whole thing. The funniest part is he has thought he would like to be a pilot as a career. But then he realizes they probably wouldn't want one who can't fly the plane without throwing up. He can't even express what the stress is, he knows how the plane works, he's studied all the science of it, knows what happens in the control towers, the whole process. He loves being on the trip, being at Disney or on a cruise, or whatever. We've only had a bad landing once that was a bit rough and a few people threw up, but otherwise, we've had pretty smooth flights. And he takes something to watch in case there is no TV or movies, but usually sleeps with his neck pillow and blanket. Once we land, it takes him a few hours to recover. I've even asked his doctor who said there was nothing they could do because he's too young. Direct flights are what we hope for, and of course they are harder to find nowadays. He is such a pro at it now though, we pack barf bags (buy them on amazon!) and he has one with him the whole time. I was surprised in October no one said anything to us. And we have tried all the gravol, kid friend anti nausea, benadryl, decongestant, knock you out types of medication.

His therapist had recommended desensitizing him to the whole thing, so just going to the airport and sitting in the parking lot. Then going into the terminal. Then a short flight somewhere. But of course doing any of that during covid and restrictions hasn't really been an option. We'll see. Our next trip booked is in April. But I might like to do something sooner (New Year's Eve?) so we'll see.

I worry less now than when we started travelling. I'm usually prepared for everything but always find I worry about expenses, even though I've budgeted and am prepared. I find I have to remind myself that I am prepared and all will be well. Once we get to the destination, then I can relax and remind myself to enjoy it and not start worrying about the trip home. I do have to talk to myself a bit and remind myself that everything is ok, that we are having fun. Don't worry about home, or the pets, everything is good.

My big stress is when we fly, at what point will kiddo start throwing up. Last time it was in the driveway before we even got in the car to go to the airport. Doesn't matter what we do. So he hates to fly and gets very stressed before we travel, two weeks before he'll start asking to cancel the whole thing. The funniest part is he has thought he would like to be a pilot as a career. But then he realizes they probably wouldn't want one who can't fly the plane without throwing up. He can't even express what the stress is, he knows how the plane works, he's studied all the science of it, knows what happens in the control towers, the whole process. He loves being on the trip, being at Disney or on a cruise, or whatever. We've only had a bad landing once that was a bit rough and a few people threw up, but otherwise, we've had pretty smooth flights. And he takes something to watch in case there is no TV or movies, but usually sleeps with his neck pillow and blanket. Once we land, it takes him a few hours to recover. I've even asked his doctor who said there was nothing they could do because he's too young. Direct flights are what we hope for, and of course they are harder to find nowadays. He is such a pro at it now though, we pack barf bags (buy them on amazon!) and he has one with him the whole time. I was surprised in October no one said anything to us. And we have tried all the gravol, kid friend anti nausea, benadryl, decongestant, knock you out types of medication.

His therapist had recommended desensitizing him to the whole thing, so just going to the airport and sitting in the parking lot. Then going into the terminal. Then a short flight somewhere. But of course doing any of that during covid and restrictions hasn't really been an option. We'll see. Our next trip booked is in April. But I might like to do something sooner (New Year's Eve?) so we'll see.
Honestly I can very much relate to your kiddo. He is so brave to keep travelling.

Yep, I experience travel anxiety too. It manifests in a complete inability to sleep the night before a trip (even if its local and I'm not flying or anything), and at least the first hotel night. I end up in a full blown, heart pounding, adrenaline rush panic attack just as I get into bed, and lay there wired up all night. Repeat the next day, and sometimes into day 2 or 3 of a trip. It's a real problem. I LOVE staying in hotels in general, but my brain is like "HIGH ALERT, HIGH ALERT, UNFAMILIAR SURROUNDINGS." I often end up with a migraine, or sick with a cold from the lack of sleep over the first few days.

I have been this way my whole life. I remember going to sleepover parties and being the only kid who lay awake all night long. I never slept a wink.

Definitely have anxiety issues. Diagnosed even lol. Travel can be a brutal stressor.

For me, I control what I can control. We go a lot of places we know well like Disney, St. Simon’s, NYC, Chicago, and I generally drive (some are a bit far, but there are cool places on the way). There are literally cool places on the way to just about anywhere! I plan trips to these places, and my lovely fam is largely along for the ride.

I can choose what conferences to go to for work, and honestly I pick by location. Easy (Disney, one site in Chi I know well) usually wins.

My wife has no stress issues. When we go somewhere new (Vancouver, for instance), I’m literally just along for the ride. So we just kind of have roles carved out.

Do I still have anxiety? Yup. But again, just like I couldn’t just start being left-handed tomorrow, it’s just something that’s who I am. Meds, therapy, lifestyle, adjust as needed.

Honestly I can very much relate to your kiddo. He is so brave to keep travelling.
I’ve got kids with anxiety issues, and it’s tough. Travel especially. Steady-state life too sometimes. But we just gotta do the best we can and you sound like an awesome parent! Hi-five!

Last edited:
This thread is comforting. I have had travel anxiety for my whole adult life, especially when it comes to packing and flying. Everyone else I know makes it seem like going away for a weekend is easy-peasy. Knowing that there are others who feel this way, too, is comforting. Although, I don't wish it on anyone.

My favorite is when people ask 'Are you excited for your trip?'....uhm NO not until I'm there. Between getting things organized to be gone from work for more than just a couple of days to literally planning everything and doing all the packing and making sure the house/cat sitters are all set, I'm never excited until we land and our luggage is in hand and well yes, we are on our way to our hotel. Trying to remember everything is what brings the anxiety on; lists lists lists. And I totally print everything off and have copies on my phone. I would say where my anxiety has taken over the last few years are in crowds...no not Disney nor Universal crowds..but stadium crowds. We went to an NFL playoff game in Jan2019 and DH went to the washroom while I stood with our snacks...spilt my popcorn and then just broke down; I could not handle the crowds on the concourse and it was early, there really weren't a lot of us there yet. Once I get to my seat I never leave; if I leave, then then I leave for good. It'll be a sad sad day if that crowd anxiety takes over for when we go to Disney/Universal...

It gives me some comfort to periodically scroll through my pics on my phone to remind me of where we've been and what we've seen that is priceless. This tends to motivate me to tackle the planning and worries, and say this next trip/adventure is gonna be the best yet!

Yep, I experience travel anxiety too. It manifests in a complete inability to sleep the night before a trip (even if its local and I'm not flying or anything), and at least the first hotel night. I end up in a full blown, heart pounding, adrenaline rush panic attack just as I get into bed, and lay there wired up all night. Repeat the next day, and sometimes into day 2 or 3 of a trip. It's a real problem. I LOVE staying in hotels in general, but my brain is like "HIGH ALERT, HIGH ALERT, UNFAMILIAR SURROUNDINGS." I often end up with a migraine, or sick with a cold from the lack of sleep over the first few days.

I have been this way my whole life. I remember going to sleepover parties and being the only kid who lay awake all night long. I never slept a wink.
I am currently in Germany and the anxiety before this trip kicked in when I got to the airport. I did deep breathing and EMDR (look it up) which is what I use with my therapist. I was also the kid who hated sleepovers. We are four days from flying home and this trip my issue has been trying not to worry about getting Covid because I want to get home ok. Ugh. My therapy during this trip has been lots of walks.

Do you know how many times I check for our passports on the way to the airport? TOO MANY TIMES!
This is me. And my phone that always has my itinerary with confirmation numbers in my travel app. I do usually have a paper copy too. I once left my phone at the cruise check in terminal when boarding our ship because I was so anxious making sure I had all my documentation in order.

I am currently in Germany and the anxiety before this trip kicked in when I got to the airport. I did deep breathing and EMDR (look it up) which is what I use with my therapist. I was also the kid who hated sleepovers. We are four days from flying home and this trip my issue has been trying not to worry about getting Covid because I want to get home ok. Ugh. My therapy during this trip has been lots of walks.

Ugh, sorry. This has been an anxiety trigger for me too (getting Covid while traveling) and it LITERALLY just happened last weekend during our staycation at the Grand Californian. We live like 15 minutes away, but nonetheless, I didn't sleep well the night before we checked in, and had a massive panic attack the first night around 11, which kept me up until around 2. Literally woke up feeling so tired (understandably) but also had a ridiculously itchy throat all day. Drove home around 5pm to take a test (stupid me forgot to pack one) and it was positive. Worst nightmare happening. Had to cut our trip short and go back home. Surprisingly, in the moment, I was focused on packing and getting out of there and in the zone and no anxiety. That came later when I tried to fall asleep back at home and my health anxiety kicked in because now I have Covid. Ugh. I did several rounds of deep breathing and eventually fell asleep after a couple hours.

I am just SO grateful we didn't decide to fly somewhere on vacation this year.

I'm sure the next fun game I'll be playing over the next several months is "is it long Covid or just anxiety?" Kinda like my favorite game over the last 2 years "is it allergies or covid?" It was allergies 99% of the time, until that 1 time it wasn't.

Ugh, sorry. This has been an anxiety trigger for me too (getting Covid while traveling) and it LITERALLY just happened last weekend during our staycation at the Grand Californian. We live like 15 minutes away, but nonetheless, I didn't sleep well the night before we checked in, and had a massive panic attack the first night around 11, which kept me up until around 2. Literally woke up feeling so tired (understandably) but also had a ridiculously itchy throat all day. Drove home around 5pm to take a test (stupid me forgot to pack one) and it was positive. Worst nightmare happening. Had to cut our trip short and go back home. Surprisingly, in the moment, I was focused on packing and getting out of there and in the zone and no anxiety. That came later when I tried to fall asleep back at home and my health anxiety kicked in because now I have Covid. Ugh. I did several rounds of deep breathing and eventually fell asleep after a couple hours.

I am just SO grateful we didn't decide to fly somewhere on vacation this year.

I'm sure the next fun game I'll be playing over the next several months is "is it long Covid or just anxiety?" Kinda like my favorite game over the last 2 years "is it allergies or covid?" It was allergies 99% of the time, until that 1 time it wasn't.
We had to visit my husband’s family here and really didn’t have a choice. His mom is aging and our daughter is growing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter