Anyone else feel that there's an enormous difference in quality

We stay on site, usually a moderate but our next trip will be at Pop. We have the ability to stay 20 minutes away w/ our ILs for FREE...and we choose the Disney bubble instead.

Depending on the time of year, we will do rope drop to close (cooler months) or take midday breaks (summertime).

We enjoy TS meals, but generally don't splurge on signature dining. When the kids were younger character buffets were how we saw our favorites w/o having to stand in lines. Now that they are older, and picky eaters, we tend to skip the buffets since I would prefer to not pay a premium price for a plate of pasta! That said, we still grab one or two around other TS and CS options.

We are not morning people so rope drop never happens for us. We've stayed on and offsite and both have pluses and minuses. The big plus for onsite for us, it allows our family to come and go as we please. DH can stay at the parks late with our older son, I can take the younger 2 back early. The big benefit for offsite, more space! 2 adults and 3 kids sharing one room can be...cozy. When staying onsite we like to do the dining plan (regular, not deluxe) and therefore avoid signature restaurants since they are a terrible value on the dining plan. My kids are still young enough that they enjoy character meals so we do a lot of those. I like to plan at least one no park pool day during our trips, whether on or offsite.

I have only done #1 but after this upcoming trip that will probably be the last time for a bit. This is partially due to the cost, and also due to the fact I'm no longer a student so the tax returns which pay for trips is going to dry up.

I have a whole rant about Signature Dining I won't bore anyone with. But basically its that more and more any quality TS is moving to Signature Dining. Again, I'll avoid going there on this thread.

Spending all day in a Disney park from RD to Closing seems really brutal to me, so I can see why someone does it and walks away feeling hot, exasperated, and cranky. I either do the mid-day break or go till after dinner and head back to the resort.

The cost of #1 for me is simply getting too high, so we are thinking of doing FL next year in August (as per usual). This year we are doing Gatorland, and we could back if we like that, and also giving Universal a try.

It's still a lot of money but less than a deluxe, park hoppers, meal plan, ect. for the 8 days we visit FL.

Why being offsite equals to you no breaks or no deluxe dining? I have stayed offsite and done it, being onsite definitely makes easier to go back a forward to the hotel, but I have no issues taking breaks while offsite. Honestly with today prices there is little value at Disney resorts. Extra magic hours events are being sold as a separate event, everyone can book ADR 180, having those 10 days in advance can’t do much for hard to get restaurants, parking not free anymore, and realistically, there are better priced deluxe resort offsite where luxury is real, unlike Disney version of deluxe. I have seen people staying onsite and bringing all kinds of food with them into the park.
Well said. And with Galaxy's edge opening the only way even onsite guests are gonna get fastpasses for it will be with club level paid FP. So what, exactly, is the advantage? Heck I can save my money by staying in our offsite timeshare and hire a private tour guide with the money saved AND have money leftover:rotfl2:
Why in the world do you think that just because someone stays offsite, they automatically can't afford to eat in the parks or are unable to return to their resort during the day? Do you honestly think that the two extremes you listed are the only two ways it can be done?
While we do on and offsite stays, Disney food does get repetitious and boring and yep-expensive. There are truly much better dining experiences offsite for a fraction of the cost anyway. We have tried a lot of TS places in past few years. Frankly some of them that get raves left us wondering what the fuss was about? But my kids are adventurous eaters..
If it's short trip or just a couple of us- then onsite at value or mod makes sense. For longer trips with whole family then we either do split or just offsite now. THAT makes our vacation a luxury- 2bed/2bath condo at a luxury resort where the activities are numerous (and free for most things), the activities staff knows the kids names, the pool/hot tubs aren't over run with people, private quiet lanai to enjoy morning coffee in my pj's...

Also- While DVC owners truly love their home, I've also seen so many complaints about upkeep, MF, and now security checks- I've never ever checked into my offsite timeshare and had any of those complaints.

Everyone's definition of luxury is different by a bit- for us it's not having to share beds or being crammed into one room, forced to eat overpriced food in food courts etc.

.... it will be with club level paid FP. So what, exactly, is the advantage? Heck I can save my money by staying in our offsite timeshare and hire a private tour guide with the money saved AND have money leftover:rotfl2:

Also- While DVC owners truly love their home, I've also seen so many complaints about upkeep, MF, and now security checks- I've never ever checked into my offsite timeshare and had any of those complaints.

I agree quite strongly with basically everything you said. The CL FP purchases (like the Signature Dining), is a whole rant I won't bore people with on here; but if someone wants to talk about difference in quality there you go.

I am hoping the pilot program will crash and burn, but I have a feeling it will not.

I was thinking about becoming a DVC owner since I spend the money every year anyway, but the issues with maintenance and service (which seem overall very good but inconsistent), was a big thing titling me toward no.

Well said. And with Galaxy's edge opening the only way even onsite guests are gonna get fastpasses for it will be with club level paid FP.

Well that isn't true to start with. There aren't enough club level guests on property, even with all of them choosing to pay for fastpasses, to take every single fastpass.

Well that isn't true to start with. There aren't enough club level guests on property, even with all of them choosing to pay for fastpasses, to take every single fastpass.

I agree! However, we'll have to see if being able to purchase additional passes becomes widespread and how it impacts things.....

When my parents took my sister and I, we mostly stayed offsite just as a money-saving measure. I don't feel like I missed out on anything during those trips.
However, as an adult, I've only been staying onsite. I don't want to have to rent a car, I like staying inside the bubble. I tend to do rope-drop to close at the parks so it's not as though I'd be losing out on much by staying offsite, but I prefer the total Disney experience.

We are Canadian so our currency is a large factor in the vacationing.... ;)

That said, there have to be a fair amount of amenities for one to ENJOY a vacation. So we save until we can "afford" to go... It is not a vacation if we have to drive or cook or help keep our host's home clean.

Agree. Except a lot of people stay on property and go commando so I don't think the offsite part makes a difference.

A lot of families I know that went for their first trip and went commando style says they'll never go again.

Of course there's a lot to do, but we like to find that balance where we do the parks but still get to have a relaxing vacation. It's hard for some people to understand that it can be done!

But to each their own, that's just not how we do it. That doesn't mean other's vacation's aren't quality to them.

Last edited:
These are always somewhat funny... it’s not that the threads aren’t beneficial. It’s just, on this board it’s always “onsite great, offsite bad”. And on the Orlando board it’s “offsite great, onsite bad”.

We've done both...off-site and deluxe on-site.

We lean 90% off-site, simply due to cost savings. We could easily afford club-level deluxe premium view with a dining plan every year, but that sort of luxury isn't in line with how we normally live, and that would limit the number of other trips we could take the rest of the year.

Both my wife and I work very hard to earn our money and contribute to the future success of our household and marriage. Since we work hard, we do everything we need to do to protect our financial security, to include solid retirement contributions, no debt, and foregoing other purchases to maintain our financial security (no new cars, no fancy restaurants, in-home daycare for kid rather than fancypants daycare center or nanny). Since we're deliberate about the way we live our lives, we apply that same mentality toward vacation planning.

So getting back to the OP's title of this thread...no...there absolutely is not a difference in "QUALITY" between on-site and off-site stays. Driving a car is much easier than depending on public transportation (that's what Disney transportation is). But, not having to rent/park a car is also a pro, rather than a con. Since those offset (for us), we figure the multiple thousands saved by staying offsite is well worth it, and doesn't impact our enjoyment in the least bit.

In case you say "you could stay in a moderate or value..." No, no, and no. You can get a full suite or condo, updated, and luxurious, off-site, for less than the lowest price you could ever pay for a single value room. Since that's our base level of accommodation for any trip, only the Deluxes factor into our calculus, since, despite the small room size, the convenience of park access, especially for Epcot resorts, can't be overlooked. It's just that the silly prices of deluxe resorts usually never compares to our combo of off-site, plus rental car, plus park parking.

It's just that the silly prices of deluxe resorts usually never compares to our combo of off-site, plus rental car, plus park parking.

This is true. In every sense, you pay more for less at Disney, with the only justification being proximity. I'm going to guess that quite a few people would be shocked if they did they math and saw for real just how much that proximity costs. Whether it's "worth it" is subjective and up to the individual. It's definitely interesting though to consider the fact that we (those of us who stay on property) pay hundreds more per night for lesser accommodations in lieu of using a rental car for transportation. Personally, if I had not literally grown up staying on-site from a young age, there's probably no way in hell I'd pay the premium.

This is true. In every sense, you pay more for less at Disney, with the only justification being proximity. I'm going to guess that quite a few people would be shocked if they did they math and saw for real just how much that proximity costs. Whether it's "worth it" is subjective and up to the individual. It's definitely interesting though to consider the fact that we (those of us who stay on property) pay hundreds more per night for lesser accommodations in lieu of using a rental car for transportation. Personally, if I had not literally grown up staying on-site from a young age, there's probably no way in hell I'd pay the premium.

Thanks! I'll add...I find it ironic (is that the correct word?) that people will literally obsess over the hour-by-hour itinerary of their Disney trip (nothing wrong with that), but won't apply the same amount of research to the whole off-site to on-site choice. When I quote a week with flights, hoppers every day, and deluxe, compared to a trip of flights, hoppers every day, and off-site plus rental car, it's usually $6k compared to $3k if we end up getting nothing for free/discounted. $3k saved is significant, I don't care who you are. The amount of "convenience" we'd get staying on-site isn't worth doubling a vacation spend.

I wouldnt stay off-site. I agree, it would be a different type of vacation...most likely doing the parks commando style, with no break in between. Tiring! Travel time to/from hotel would be longer too. Not a fan.

Plus, I prefer NOT to rent a car while at Disney. I like the disney buses. So for me, staying off-site wouldnt be as fun.

You are so right! Ive done both and while type B saves money and sometimes that's more important, I prefer the type A vacation. I was a Disney Commando up until our first Polynesian stay where I wanted to relax at my resort! Now I wouldn't do it any other way. we take daily pool breaks and are so much more relaxed and in better moods lol

I wouldnt stay off-site. I agree, it would be a different type of vacation...most likely doing the parks commando style, with no break in between. Tiring! Travel time to/from hotel would be longer too. Not a fan.

Plus, I prefer NOT to rent a car while at Disney. I like the disney buses. So for me, staying off-site wouldnt be as fun.

First things first, you're right that sometimes it's not nice to drive. But, I do want to address your comment about travel time being longer.

Other than for Magic Kingdom, resort buses are not quicker than driving yourself. Assuming a 15 minute walk from Park to Parking Lot, then a 10 minute drive home (to one of hundreds of awesome lodging options) is 25 total minutes, sitting! As opposed to an unknown time waiting for the bus (standing, in the heat), then getting on the bus (likely standing, next to a sweaty person, being sweaty yourself), then riding for 15+ minutes. So either way, it takes about the same time whether you're off site or on site to go back to the room for a break. The only exception is certain deluxes in certain situations...but you mentioned buses so I left out those examples. Even then though, those are pricey hotel options.

It's why they say that if you want to go from park to park or park to hotel, budget 60 minutes.

Add an extra 20 minutes for magic kingdom parking...still not the worst thing ever.

First... I STRONGLY agree with "to each their own". Stay where you are happy, where you find value.

Many times in these discussions of off-site vs on-site I think some false assumptions are made about off-site.

Some assume off-site = hotel/motel for less $$. Which is fine if that is what works for you. There are LOTS of other choices.

I will NEVER EVER EVER stay on-site again. I took a flyer one year and rented a 5 room villa with a private pool at Windsor Hills for about the same price as one room at Art of Animation. It really opened my eyes... (It is actually faster to get to Animal Kingdom from Windsor Hills than many of the on-site resorts, so yes it is close.) Everyone gets their own room, in fact you could stay with another family or the grandparents... You get YOUR OWN POOL... our kids loved it! Most Villas have game rooms with pool table etc. Granite counter-top kitchen... washer dryer, multiple flat screen tv's, fast internet, MULTIPLE BATHROOMS... You do need to drive, but I always did that anyway (hate, hate, hate buses).

Since then we have tried other places... last time we stayed at Lake Berkely. Further from Disney sure, but the lake has excellent fishing... so I could take the kids out behind the villa fishing for a couple hours when we got tired of the parks, and then jump in the pool after fishing (Villa came with fishing poles and gear). A small alligator swam by while we were fishing, a bird came and stole one of the fish when we landed it, my older son hooked a HUGE turtle... those kinds of memories are WHY we go on vacation. The kids still talk about that stuff.

Now the kids are older... looking at Reunion resort this time (again a bit further away). You can get a MANSION for the price of a moderate resort.

Check out this house at Reunion: https://www.vrbo.com/3837796ha

Price ranges from low moderate to low deluxe for these style homes.

As you can probably tell... I get a kick out of just looking at all the options. There are many resorts/developments around Disney World, with condos and villas in a wide variety of price ranges.

Ed

I agree that staying at a deluxe WDW resort is pretty much the ultimate way to experience WDW.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter