Anyone around Ft Belvoir?

ClarabelleCowFan

<font color=teal>Found Someone You Have<br><font c
DH is TDY to Ft Belvoir for 15 weeks for school. DS and I will be joining him for about 5 or 6 weeks this summer (if family quarters comes thru).

Are there any fun things to do with a 1 year old in the area? Any great parks or playgrounds? Any great shopping (especially any thrift or consignment shops) around?

I have a feeling we will be bored to tears and end up heading back home to Northern Maryland early.

We used to live about 15 mins down the road from Ft Belvoir when Dh was stationed at the P'Gon. Check out Mt Vernon (George Washington's house). We had annuual passes and went there about once a month if not more. It is awesome, lots of cool things to see, lots of room to roam. also take the metro into DC for some site seeing, that is always fun.

Fort Belvoir is a nice base and has a great pool and lots of recreation areas.

Then there is always outlet shopping at Potomac Mills just south of the base.

Check the fairfax county library's website for story times.

Go to Old Town Alexandria and just walk along the river and get ice cream.

DH is TDY to Ft Belvoir for 15 weeks for school. DS and I will be joining him for about 5 or 6 weeks this summer (if family quarters comes thru).

Are there any fun things to do with a 1 year old in the area? Any great parks or playgrounds? Any great shopping (especially any thrift or consignment shops) around?

I have a feeling we will be bored to tears and end up heading back home to Northern Maryland early.

KEL, :wave: Howdy Doody, lady!! :yay: I was at Ft. Belvore on Friday. ::yes:: DBro had his graduation from the National War College on Thursday in DC and it was awesome. So much pomp and circumstance with military dignitaries from all over the WORLD receiving advanced degrees. :thumbsup2

On Friday DBro asked all of us if we would like to go to F.B. to shop at the clothing store and the PX and just see the Fort and so we did. Let me tell you it is a beautiful Army base. The homes on base are awesome. We asked DBro why he is not living here as he will now be working on the Joint Chiefs of Staff at the Pentagon. He said there is a 3 year wait for base housing. :eek: Plus DBro's wife will be relocating from CO (Ft. Carson) and her job will be in Falls Church so they decided on a town called Anadale to rent a home. This will be closer for their P'gon and Falls Church commutes.

I will tell you the heat was unbearable last week in DC....it was like 100 and the humidity was 100%. :headache: Also be prepared for a TON of traffic. :headache: But I suppose you will find that almost anywhere today. ::yes::

I hope you get the housing :worried: so you can be with DH!! :love:

We used to live about 15 mins down the road from Ft Belvoir when Dh was stationed at the P'Gon. Check out Mt Vernon (George Washington's house). We had annuual passes and went there about once a month if not more. It is awesome, lots of cool things to see, lots of room to roam. also take the metro into DC for some site seeing, that is always fun.

Is the Metro pretty easy to navigate with a stroller? The Subway in NYC is a royal pain with a stroller!

Mt Vernon sounds nice. We will definitely check it out! :)

Fort Belvoir is a nice base and has a great pool and lots of recreation areas.

Then there is always outlet shopping at Potomac Mills just south of the base.

Check the fairfax county library's website for story times.

Go to Old Town Alexandria and just walk along the river and get ice cream.

Oooh outlet shopping sounds good to me. I'm always on the lookout for a bargain. How close is the library to post? Any idea? The libraries up here in Harford County, MD are fantastic (better than anything we had in SC) and you can check out toys! That would be a total lifesaver.

KEL, :wave: Howdy Doody, lady!! :yay: I was at Ft. Belvore on Friday. ::yes:: DBro had his graduation from the National War College on Thursday in DC and it was awesome. So much pomp and circumstance with military dignitaries from all over the WORLD receiving advanced degrees. :thumbsup2

On Friday DBro asked all of us if we would like to go to F.B. to shop at the clothing store and the PX and just see the Fort and so we did. Let me tell you it is a beautiful Army base. The homes on base are awesome. We asked DBro why he is not living here as he will now be working on the Joint Chiefs of Staff at the Pentagon. He said there is a 3 year wait for base housing. :eek: Plus DBro's wife will be relocating from CO (Ft. Carson) and her job will be in Falls Church so they decided on a town called Anadale to rent a home. This will be closer for their P'gon and Falls Church commutes.

I will tell you the heat was unbearable last week in DC....it was like 100 and the humidity was 100%. :headache: Also be prepared for a TON of traffic. :headache: But I suppose you will find that almost anywhere today. ::yes::

I hope you get the housing :worried: so you can be with DH!! :love:

Congrats to DBro, Kar!!!!!!! You should have called my B while you were there. He gets out of class at noon on Fridays and heads back up this way.

I have heard the housing there is gorgeous. Can't wait to see it! I loved the Officer's Row at West Point overlooking the Hudson River and actually Aberdeen has some cute stone houses overlooking the Bay here.

I don't want Mason to get too bored - B has already told me how often they lose power and cable down there. Ugh. We're on the waiting list for Family Quarters but if that doesn't come thru then we are all stuck in a small hotel room with a double bed for the duration. Maybe we will jump on a plane to Cali and come stay with you instead. ;)

I don't know if you can check out toys, but they do have lots of activities for the younter ones.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/tots/

They only put up the schedule a month at a time, so you will only see the activities through June.

About 5 libraries are fairly close to the base: Lorton, Sherwood Hall, Martha Washington, Kingstown, and Pohick.

Let it be said again the base has wonderful pools.

http://www.belvoirmwr.com/pools/docs/brochure08.pdf

Oh wow those pools look great! I bookmarked the library site too so I can check the July schedule. :)

Thanks!!

I AM!!!! we are in Woodlawn Village.
We are here until Jan while DH is in school, so PM me if you want to get together...
Mine are a little older, but there is alot to do here for fun!
Today was our first try on Metro to go to the aquarium (underwhelming, to say he least). But the zoo here is wonderful. The pools are amazing.
And there is a play morning on Wed mornings at the Youth Services building that is WONDERFUL! The woman runs it just like a Gymboree, my kids all LOVE play morning! The give Miss Natasha a big hug every week when we go.
Potomac Mills even has a Disney Store Outlet.

I AM!!!! we are in Woodlawn Village.
We are here until Jan while DH is in school, so PM me if you want to get together...
Mine are a little older, but there is alot to do here for fun!
Today was our first try on Metro to go to the aquarium (underwhelming, to say he least). But the zoo here is wonderful. The pools are amazing.
And there is a play morning on Wed mornings at the Youth Services building that is WONDERFUL! The woman runs it just like a Gymboree, my kids all LOVE play morning! The give Miss Natasha a big hug every week when we go.
Potomac Mills even has a Disney Store Outlet.

That would be great! We are still on the waiting list for Family Quarters so keep your fingers crossed we have somewhere to stay besides DH's single room.

How old are your kiddos??

I would LOVE that, Kel!!! My door will always be open for you and the fam!!! :love:

Whoooooooo hoooooooooooo! Road trip to see Kar! I'm SO there. I know some fun things to do in Cali. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter