Anybody have any ideas as to when Splash will close?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously. I check here every day for details of the closing date of my favorite ride just so I can see if I’m ever going to be able to ride it again and all I see are people arguing over a topic in which they will never change each other’s mind. If anyone hears any details on the closing date of the ride, please let me know! Lol
I think you’ll be fine as long as you get to Disney in the next year. We’ll have some warning when it’s going to close.

Eh. It's been a long time since any of us have seen it, and most probably never did. To be honest, I do not even recall HOW I saw it as a kid since Disney never released it to home video. However, I do remember seeing it at one point.

I swear I rented a VHS from the video store in the mid-90's for my daughters to watch before our first trip to Disneyland. I wanted them to know the movies behind the rides, so I rented the ones we didn't have. I am obviously wrong about that but I swear I did.

I swear I rented a VHS from the video store in the mid-90's for my daughters to watch before our first trip to Disneyland. I wanted them to know the movies behind the rides, so I rented the ones we didn't have. I am obviously wrong about that but I swear I did.

While Song of the South was not available, there was a Disney Sing Along Songs VHS that had the Zip a Dee Do Dah scene from Song of the South in it. The cover of the VHS (I think it was the first or second SAS they released) was an image from Song of the South. It may have been that.

I think you’ll be fine as long as you get to Disney in the next year. We’ll have some warning when it’s going to close.

Its an interesting question... will Disney actually promote the removal of the "questionable" attraction they let sit there for 30 years? My guess is $ will win out but its a very awkward pr moment for sure!

If it wasn’t for the virus, I’d have already made my visit. That’s what my issue is. I don’t know when I’ll be able to make my visit without having to risk health. And Disney’s warning is usually very short notice. It was less than a month from announcement of closing date to closing date for Maelstrom, Great Movie Ride, and Ellen’s Energy Adventure. So basically once they announce it’s closing, we will all likely have less than a month to try and make our last trips.

If it wasn’t for the virus, I’d have already made my visit. That’s what my issue is. I don’t know when I’ll be able to make my visit without having to risk health. And Disney’s warning is usually very short notice. It was less than a month from announcement of closing date to closing date for Maelstrom, Great Movie Ride, and Ellen’s Energy Adventure. So basically once they announce it’s closing, we will all likely have less than a month to try and make our last trips.

I'm hoping that because of how beloved Splash is we will get a little more warning than that. Wishful thinking maybe, but they could probably capitalize on the "closing period" being longer. I'm going to be in MK in 40-something days and I am on pins and needles waiting to see if it's going down for it's standard winter refurb. It was announced in October previously, and they've already announced for Kali. I'm totally afraid to let myself hope.

While Song of the South was not available, there was a Disney Sing Along Songs VHS that had the Zip a Dee Do Dah scene from Song of the South in it. The cover of the VHS (I think it was the first or second SAS they released) was an image from Song of the South. It may have been that.
Pretty sure I own that. I have most of them. Still have a vhs player too. One day I might have to make the difficult decision the get rid of all the VHS but not yet.

@disneychrista, It may have been a bootleg copy too. Those were around. You wouldn't have found it at a Blockbuster or a big name store, but a mom & pop video store could have had it.

Last edited:
Its an interesting question... will Disney actually promote the removal of the "questionable" attraction they let sit there for 30 years? My guess is $ will win out but its a very awkward pr moment for sure!

I think they will. When they first announced the impending change, Splash merchandise sales went up. I think they will for sure capitalize on its closing like they did with the Great Movie Ride ("That's a Wrap!"). I think especially now they won't turn down some extra cash.

I think they will. When they first announced the impending change, Splash merchandise sales went up. I think they will for sure capitalize on its closing like they did with the Great Movie Ride ("That's a Wrap!"). I think especially now they won't turn down some extra cash.

Which if true says to me Disney could care less about the racial connotations.

5 years after the new ride opens people will remember that they changed the ride to something more culturally appropriate, not that they sold farewell merchandise for its predecessor.

You realize that people love the ride, not because of where it came from, but because they just you know..love the ride. So to be able to commemorate that with farewell merchandise doesn’t mean Disney doesn’t care, or the guest doesn’t care.

5 years after the new ride opens people will remember that they changed the ride to something more culturally appropriate, not that they sold farewell merchandise for its predecessor.

You realize that people love the ride, not because of where it came from, but because they just you know..love the ride. So to be able to commemorate that with farewell merchandise doesn’t mean Disney doesn’t care, or the guest doesn’t care.

I mean hey people still celebrate slavery and confederate generals today, but i guess as long as its beloved, its ok to profit off of it.

I mean hey people still celebrate slavery and confederate generals today, but i guess as long as its beloved, its ok to profit off of it.

I think some of it is respecting the people who do like the ride as it is today. Giving them some notice before it is changed in case they want to ride it one more time before it is changed isn't a bad thing and doesn't at all change the fact it does still need to change.

I'm hoping that because of how beloved Splash is we will get a little more warning than that. Wishful thinking maybe, but they could probably capitalize on the "closing period" being longer. I'm going to be in MK in 40-something days and I am on pins and needles waiting to see if it's going down for it's standard winter refurb. It was announced in October previously, and they've already announced for Kali. I'm totally afraid to let myself hope.
We are doing a resort only stay at the end of January and are choosing not to purchase tickets for this trip due to the very limited hours/offerings.
I had assumed that splash would be closed as it always is in January. IF it is open and the weather is decent, We may break down and buy 1 day tickets to ride splash 1 last time. If I didn’t do it and it closes before we can get back, I would be so mad at myself. Fingers crossed for both of us.

I think some of it is respecting the people who do like the ride as it is today. Giving them some notice before it is changed in case they want to ride it one more time before it is changed isn't a bad thing and doesn't at all change the fact it does still need to change.

It’s the first thrill ride my mom was able to convince me to go on when I was 7. It has been my favorite ride ever since. I didn’t even know the characters were based on a movie until about 15 years ago. And if there’s farewell merchandise for Splash Mountain, I will hand Bob Chapek the money for it myself. And I will also be very happy the day PatF opens. Comparing someone’s memories and love for a theme park ride to celebrating slavery is highly ignorant

You’re equating love for a ride thats story is a rabbit outsmarting a fox and bear to being the same as loving slavery. That’s absolutely ridiculous and if anyone actually thought they were the same the ride would already be closed.

You’re equating love for a ride thats story is a rabbit outsmarting a fox and bear to being the same as loving slavery. That’s absolutely ridiculous and if anyone actually thought they were the same the ride would already be closed.

If that were the case Disney wouldnt be touting it as a response to the recent racial movements and protests.

This wasnt a hey, we are retheming splash because its time. it was a we are retheming splash because of the inappropriate message it sends.

If that were the case Disney wouldnt be touting it as a response to the recent racial movements and protests.

This wasnt a hey, we are retheming splash because its time. it was a we are retheming splash because of the inappropriate message it sends.

The announcement was a response, they’ve been developing the retheme for at least a year prior.

As I mentioned, I still do not even remember HOW I saw it. But it was not the sing-a-long, I remember most of the movie. I can still quote parts of it. I am still shocked to read that they never released it, since I was obviously not alive when it was made, and didn't have a (legal) copy of it, and there was not an internet to copy it from, not that my parents would have bootlegged anything or had the technical capabilities of such a feat.

I wonder if some of us passed through an alternate time line? :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter