• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any indications of when Fall 2020 Discounts will be released?

AmberMV

DIS Veteran
The current fall discounts go to the end of next month (Sept) and I haven't heard any chatter on what happens after that. I'd assume they would release more discounts for Fall/Winter but has anyone heard anything?

Agreed. There won't be any. The time of discounts for rooms and packages is over for now.
They have no problem dishing out major discounts for Florida residents, and AP's tho. Its frustrating being an out of state visitor right now. Especially when you see Universal offering pretty good discounts for all guest. Not just the FL residents. I do not know what Disney is thinking🙄

They have no problem dishing out major discounts for Florida residents, and AP's tho. Its frustrating being an out of state visitor right now. Especially when you see Universal offering pretty good discounts for all guest. Not just the FL residents. I do not know what Disney is thinking🙄
Unfortunately, the 2 parks have different issues currently. UO will always pull in locals with APs but has a difficult time bringing in out of state guests, so they offer discounts to everyone trying to capture some people that are growing fed up with Disney.

Disney on the other hand, will continue to bring in out of state guests that are willing to travel anyway (and don’t seem to want to overwhelm their facilities with tons of guests). But they also would like to fill up some of those rooms, so they offer deals to the APs (who would normally just come for a day and have to use one of their 3 park reservations) to stay on property for a night or 2 and spend more while they’re on property.

Disney keeps opening up more reservations for AP's tho. So the resort guest and single day ticket guest just are not there. What difference does it make if the park is filled with AP's or single day visitors? I would think the guest who are coming from out of town, staying in resorts, and buying tickets are spending more money than locals? At least that is what Disney likes to say?

Disney keeps opening up more reservations for AP's tho. So the resort guest and single day ticket guest just are not there. What difference does it make if the park is filled with AP's or single day visitors? I would think the guest who are coming from out of town, staying in resorts, and buying tickets are spending more money than locals? At least that is what Disney likes to say?
They probably know that they won’t bring in enough additional guests to make up for the discounts. Most of the people who are staying away won’t be enticed by a discount.

I think there's a solid possibility we'll see a room discount for APs and Florida residents. It's the general public discount that is highly doubtful IMO.
There already is up to 40% off room rates for AP and a significant ticket discount for Florida residents.

I actually logged on tonight to see if anyone was talking about discounts past Sept 30. We were there in late July and want to go back sometime in October. We have APs and would probably stay on the property if there were a decent discount. I won't pay rack rates though. If they don't release discounts, we will stay off property, make our 3 park day reservations for what we can and save a boatload of money. A discount would get me to spend money at Disney instead of spend money elsewhere. I would think Disney is smart enough to figure out that we aren't the only ones out there like this.

They probably know that they won’t bring in enough additional guests to make up for the discounts. Most of the people who are staying away won’t be enticed by a discount.
That may be true for out of area visitors, but the entire premise for the last batch of AP and FL Discounts was to entice semi-locals to come and stay on property for a discount who normally otherwise wouldn't and just make a day trip of it. So it would be silly of Disney to not offer discounts for the Fall/Winter to capture those potential semi locals who would stay on property if there are discounts in play.

I think Disney has correctly determined that out of state visitors who come in a pandemic are going to come anyway. A discount is just lost money.

I would think local discounts make total sense for lots of reasons.

Look its not the same experience either. Disney knows this. Locals who drive are much more likely to have re-set expectations then someone who spent alot more including plane tickets, time off work, airport parking etc etc etc.

The initial reopening strategy has obviously shifted a number of times since the start of the summer, but my understanding is that they intentionally released hefty AP and FL Resident discounts and did not release any general public offers because of the spike in COVID-19 cases. They didn't want the PR of trying to lure out of state visitors with a marketable vacation offer, and from a practical standpoint, likely figured that anyone traveling from out of state was either A) DVC, B) an AP holder, or C) so hellbent on coming that a discount wouldn't make a difference. To attract anyone not in one of those groups wasn't worth the potential negative PR, given how heated things were getting in Florida when the decision was made (early July). Remember the Governor had said for some time (even before the summer spike) that he wanted the FL theme parks to reopen for mainly Florida Residents.

As the numbers have crept down (and they try to salvage the fall), I wouldn't be surprised if we see them quietly release a discount, maybe not for September but perhaps for some point in October through mid-December. I have that on no authority other than my gut instinct, but I do know they're holding out hope for an uptick in resort occupancy during that period. For what it's worth, Pop Century is showing up on a few Hotwire deals, so they could be warming to the idea.

I think it’s mostly PR & if they roll out anything it’ll be quietly like the last discount. We are going thanksgiving with or without a discount, but if they release one, we will probably stay longer & upgrade resorts.

I’ve got a friend who just got a Pop room on Hotwire for just over $80 a night for September. He’s local but would’ve been able to book this no matter where he was from. Very interesting. Seeing more reports of this.

Disney is thinking that they don't want out-of-state guests ... for now. And that made sense due to the restricted nature of things, lack of air travel, etc. They don't want to encourage guests to come right now (even though they aren't hitting their max capacity limit).

That may change as the Florida case numbers have plummeted from the spike in July.

So .. i would expect Disney start to release discounts once they feel comfortable UPPING their capacity limits.

It's a shame you have to dig to find a hotwire or priceline deal and Disney just can't offer a discount on rooms that OBVIOUSLY aren't being filled.

Disney is thinking that they don't want out-of-state guests ... for now. And that made sense due to the restricted nature of things, lack of air travel, etc. They don't want to encourage guests to come right now (even though they aren't hitting their max capacity limit).

That may change as the Florida case numbers have plummeted from the spike in July.

So .. i would expect Disney start to release discounts once they feel comfortable UPPING their capacity limits.

It's a shame you have to dig to find a hotwire or priceline deal and Disney just can't offer a discount on rooms that OBVIOUSLY aren't being filled.
I think you’re right that discounts will most likely start to be offered by the end of the fall due to the decreasing FL numbers, but I don’t think it’ll be tied to an increase in park capacity. I think we’ll most likely see capacity remain static for the rest of the year unfortunately. Especially since they’re no where close to hitting capacity right now, and we’re entering into the slower season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter