Any Genie+ Solo Tips

tony67

DIS Veteran
I've done numerous solo trips to Disney over the years.
I've skipped Disney for the last few years as the reservation thing and lack of park hopping seemed ridiculous and its not the way I like to experience the parks.
I like to just show up and I usually pick my starting park based on the bus that arrives. (although I try to start with MK)

Not thrilled with the whole Genie+ thing and having to get up at 7AM, even though I'll probably be up.
Ill probably do a two day park hopper as that is more than enough Disney parks for me. I usually can do all four parks each day. Ill also be there for a extra magic hours night (or whatever they call it now) at MK.

Any Tips or suggestions for solo travelers using G+

I am mostly Interested in Tron - hopefully twice, but also Gog.
There are also many other rides I'd like to do if they are actually working so G+ seems like the best option for rides without a single rider line.

Is cost an issue? If you want to do Tron twice, I’d wake up at 7 and get into the virtual queue and then buy an ILL for it, which is different from Genie+. Same for GotG. If you want to go once and don’t want to deal with VQ, you can just buy an ILL for it when you know you’ll be at Epcot.

If you do get Genie+, it seems like the ones you might want to get up for at 7 are SDD and either Remy’s or Frozen. Otherwise, you probably can get one past that and be ok, albeit may not be a super ideal time.

I’d personally probably rope drop parks where you have rides you want to do, and then start stacking lightning lanes for a park you want to do later so you can hit a bunch at once. And I’d definitely get on one of the heavy hitters right at closing. Both SDMT and RoTR I got on in less than 20 min.

But if you wanna go with the flow, just have a plan for your must-rides (what else are they?) and then just find available lightning as you go. I think unless it’s a super packed day, unless it’s a super popular ride, you should be able to find them. And you can always modify times after you get one- just keep refreshing and you may be able to find something earlier or different (as long as it’s in same park).

Best thing for being solo is you get to decide what you want to do and when. I think Genie+ can help make it easier to do.

Is cost an issue? If you want to do Tron twice, I’d wake up at 7 and get into the virtual queue and then buy an ILL for it, which is different from Genie+. Same for GotG. If you want to go once and don’t want to deal with VQ, you can just buy an ILL for it when you know you’ll be at Epcot.

If you do get Genie+, it seems like the ones you might want to get up for at 7 are SDD and either Remy’s or Frozen. Otherwise, you probably can get one past that and be ok, albeit may not be a super ideal time.

I’d personally probably rope drop parks where you have rides you want to do, and then start stacking lightning lanes for a park you want to do later so you can hit a bunch at once. And I’d definitely get on one of the heavy hitters right at closing. Both SDMT and RoTR I got on in less than 20 min.

But if you wanna go with the flow, just have a plan for your must-rides (what else are they?) and then just find available lightning as you go. I think unless it’s a super packed day, unless it’s a super popular ride, you should be able to find them. And you can always modify times after you get one- just keep refreshing and you may be able to find something earlier or different (as long as it’s in same park).

Best thing for being solo is you get to decide what you want to do and when. I think Genie+ can help make it easier to do.
Thanks its not the cost its the idea of it, I just don't like the idea of paying even more to ride Tron.
I am assuming I can get a VQ one night during the extra hours and then the next morning if I am lucky. (I assume I cant get the morning and extra hours drop on the same day)
I may just suck it up and pay, but it feels like they are just picking my pocket.

Hopefully I get get Gog on the first day - once is fine, 7AM or 1PM drop.

Then there are the various old standards like Space mountain, Pirates etc...

No interest in RoR - I did it once and it was very nothing special IMO, I might do it if its 10 to 20 minutes.
FoP is a must do though.

Of course seeing the current wait times makes me think I may not bother at all with Disney, 90 minutes for Jungle Cruise is crazy. It's late January and I cant imagine the last day of Country Bears brought in that many people. Ugh.
Need to keep in eye on that.

I need to go through and read the boards and get a better idea of Genie+ and how its works.
Was sort of hoping there would be some changes by now to make staying on property more of an advantage.

In general it feels like Genie+ makes things worse for Single Riders\Solos, but we will see.

I am assuming I can get a VQ one night during the extra hours and then the next morning if I am lucky. (I assume I cant get the morning and extra hours drop on the same day)
I believe you can get the extra hours drop on top of the regular one… so you could ride twice!

If you’re willing to do VQ, i think it should be fine. Watch a few videos on how to get the VQ. Make sure you’re logged in. Most people recommend using two devices, one for the atomic clock and one to get the VQ. I didn’t since I was solo and didn’t want to carry two devices. I just looked at a world clock and when it was 10 seconds before 7, switched to MDE and started refreshing like crazy and had no problem getting a VQ.

I hear 1pm drop is even easier and you have a few minutes before it sells out.
FoP is a must do though.
If you don’t want to pay, I’d do it at closing, or watch wait times. I paid but I liked it so much I waited when I saw the line was under an hour. I bet at closing it’d be under 40 min (even if it’s posted at 60+).
Then there are the various old standards like Space mountain, Pirates etc...
This is where Genie+ shines! You can easily get these and walk on rather than wait in lines.
I need to go through and read the boards and get a better idea of Genie+ and how its works.
The Genie+ post is helpful on the Theme Park Tips and Strategies Forum. But watch this video. She goes solo almost always and her tips really show you how to maximize this day with Genie Plus.
In general it feels like Genie+ makes things worse for Single Riders\Solos, but we will see.
I disagree. Since you’re one person, you only pay $20 or so and you skip so many lines! It’s a lot harder to swallow if you have a family of 4, but it was great for me. However, I didn’t need it at AK and I didn’t do HS regular.

If you’re gonna do MK EH you’ll probably get quite a few rides in without Genie+

Thanks its not the cost its the idea of it, I just don't like the idea of paying even more to ride Tron.
You’re paying not to wait in the line. The VQ line was still 45-60 min. I walked on in 5 with the ILL
Disney, 90 minutes for Jungle Cruise is crazy.
I easily got a LL for jungle cruise earlier in the afternoon when line was 90 min! I walked right on a few hours later.

Good luck! I think you can have a great trip! Just understand how it helps and what you’re willing to pay!

I disagree. Since you’re one person, you only pay $20 or so and you skip so many lines! It’s a lot harder to swallow if you have a family of 4, but it was great for me. However, I didn’t need it at AK and I didn’t do HS regular.

If you’re gonna do MK EH you’ll probably get quite a few rides in without Genie+
Thanks good info overall - yeah the $20+ is much easier for a single rider to pay no doubt - a family of four having to pay another 80-100 to use G+ seems crazy to me and/or 80-100 just to ride Tron is nuts.
I'm sure many of these folks cant afford it, but they are already so far in they just pay it.

You’re paying not to wait in the line. The VQ line was still 45-60 min. I walked on in 5 with the ILL
I get that, I just don't like the idea of it at all - I am already paying what a feel is way too much for parks that are not maintained as well as they should be. Also not being able to wait in a standby line at all with the VQ rides puts me off as well.

This is where Genie+ shines! You can easily get these and walk on rather than wait in lines.
That is what I am hoping for and why I don't have too much issue with G+ in general, its the 7AM wake-up, changing prices, and buying after midnight etc... There are many things that make it frustrating.
Also being tied to my phone all day, having to tap into a park before I can get the afternoon VQ, there are many things that make this not user friendly IMO.

I've gone solo twice in the last two years and used Genie+ and had a great experience. While it definitely sucks to pay MORE for Genie+ or ILL on top of a park ticket I found that being solo it's much more reasonable since I'm just buying for me.

I usually go in mid May when crowd levels are low so I could probably get by without Genie+ but now I'm spoiled. I think you'll love using G+ solo since you don't have to consult with others about what you want to ride and when. You may also be more open to zig zagging around the parks (but I never found myself really doing that).

I bought G+ every day of my trips but for my next trip I may try to do MK and HS in one day (and get G+) and do Epcot and AK in the same day and go without. Epcot you really only need it for Frozen and Remy and you can do one with early entry and then hustle over to the other. And Test Track is a single rider line.

While I've used Genie+ successfully as a solo - I have also found that early entry hours - or right at close hours - have worked great for me on solo trips, too. If I prioritize my early entry - I can get a lot done because it's just me rushing for that first line - and I have a plan already made so I can move between rides - and know that bathroom breaks aren't in the picture. (I literally learned to leave the big coffee purchase until like 10-11 am... :coffee: when I finally slow down because now the lines are long. Sure - the coffee lines can be long at that time, too, but now its slow down and smell the roses time - so its okay.)

Not really a tip, but I highly recommend solos get it and actively use it. Make you first reservation right at 7 am, then later ones as soon as you scan into the previous ride. Also, if there's a bigger ride that appears to be sold out or only available late in the day, keep refreshing. I've saved 5+ hours of wait in a single day, but average around 4.

Just returned from a 3 night solo trip, and used Genie+ every day. But, I went in having used it many times with a group, and had a handle on how to do it beforehand. If you take the time to learn the inns and outs, it will save you so much time! There are threads on this board where people discuss their strategies and how to maximize it, and youtube is great too.

For example, on a day where MK offers after-hours, you will have three VQ drops for TRON, plus you can buy an ILL$, so 4 chances to ride.

Also for MK and Space Mountain, once you get to the second tap in, there is a sign saying alert a cast member if you are a single rider, that saved me time!

So many tips and tricks if you look for them!

I skipped HS, and spent time in the other parks. I was resort hopping, so stayed in my room until check out time, skipping the mornings in the parks, arriving around lunch time and staying until close.

Just returned from a 3 night solo trip, and used Genie+ every day. But, I went in having used it many times with a group, and had a handle on how to do it beforehand. If you take the time to learn the inns and outs, it will save you so much time! There are threads on this board where people discuss their strategies and how to maximize it, and youtube is great too.

For example, on a day where MK offers after-hours, you will have three VQ drops for TRON, plus you can buy an ILL$, so 4 chances to ride.

Also for MK and Space Mountain, once you get to the second tap in, there is a sign saying alert a cast member if you are a single rider, that saved me time!

So many tips and tricks if you look for them!

I skipped HS, and spent time in the other parks. I was resort hopping, so stayed in my room until check out time, skipping the mornings in the parks, arriving around lunch time and staying until close.
Thanks.

I've been trying to figure this one out and I've read though a ton of thread and will read more.
I also watched the video Recommended earlier (need to watch it again)
on a day where MK offers after-hours, you will have three VQ drops for TRON,
So I think it drops at 6Pm (same for guardians), but do you have to be in the park to get one?

For example If I am at Epcot, have multi park hopper and G+ all parks can I book the 1PM and 6PM drops from Epcot, and vice versa from MK for Guardians.

I am planning my trip so I have a late night MK and a late night Epcot. (I think its just two hours - so not the same as the late nights that used to go to 1AM :( )

I have to say - yet again - this is why I so prefer Universal over Disney.
I am only going to Disney to fulfill are request of a relative that passed.

For the 1 PM drop you need to be in that specific park. 7 AM & 6 PM you do not have to be in the park.

Editing to add these links:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/everything-virtual-queue-please-read-posts-1-and-2.3886917/

https://www.disboards.com/threads/e...lightning-lane-please-read-posts-1-7.3856734/
Thanks - appreciate it.

Was focusing on the G+ threads and not the VQ thread.

Was hoping they got rid of the 1PM requirement when park hoping was fixed.

So just a quick update for anyone that has interest.

Overall I would say it worked out well.
I feel the best use for it is Mk and I would just start stacking rides at 7AM for the afternoon and do a different park in the AM.

Its really nice to show up in MK and have 4 or 5 rides ready to go one after the other - and maybe Tron as well.
Honestly I doubt I would have been able to do Jungle cruise every day without G+ - I would have just skipped it. Same for Haunted mansion and Pirates - I may have done them once and that is it.

Was also able to do Soarin multiple times and again I would have only waited for it once if not for G+

Also make use of the VQ for Tron or GoG.
I pretty much got GoG every morning and hoped to have it done by 1PM and try for the 1PM drop of Tron.

The trick to that is you need to have been in the other park some time before 1PM to take advantage of the 1PM drop.
So if you get GoG I'd say head to MK and do some rides in the AM well wait times are still low and keep an eye on you VQ for GoG. GoG seemed much better at estimating your return time than Tron - I am not sure Tron really did that at all TBH

If you get Tron - do the opposite and go to Epcot and at least enter the park. That said the odds of having Tron done by 1PM seems low in my brief time. Its a lot of luck of getting an early group and not having technical issues that delay your time

So just a quick update for anyone that has interest.

Overall I would say it worked out well.
I feel the best use for it is Mk and I would just start stacking rides at 7AM for the afternoon and do a different park in the AM.

Its really nice to show up in MK and have 4 or 5 rides ready to go one after the other - and maybe Tron as well.
Honestly I doubt I would have been able to do Jungle cruise every day without G+ - I would have just skipped it. Same for Haunted mansion and Pirates - I may have done them once and that is it.

Was also able to do Soarin multiple times and again I would have only waited for it once if not for G+

Also make use of the VQ for Tron or GoG.
I pretty much got GoG every morning and hoped to have it done by 1PM and try for the 1PM drop of Tron.

The trick to that is you need to have been in the other park some time before 1PM to take advantage of the 1PM drop.
So if you get GoG I'd say head to MK and do some rides in the AM well wait times are still low and keep an eye on you VQ for GoG. GoG seemed much better at estimating your return time than Tron - I am not sure Tron really did that at all TBH

If you get Tron - do the opposite and go to Epcot and at least enter the park. That said the odds of having Tron done by 1PM seems low in my brief time. Its a lot of luck of getting an early group and not having technical issues that delay your time
It sounds like it ended up being a pretty good few days for you! Happy to hear it all came together!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter