Any DVCers been to WDW during a space shuttle launch?

MarieA

DIS Veteran
Has anyone been to the world during a space shuttle launch? We are going to be at BCV from 8/6 - 8/13. As of now the shuttle is scheduled to launch at 7:02 on 8/7. Is it possible to see it from WDW? If so, where is the best area to see it?

Thanks.

We were on the road right outside DTD last year when we saw a shuttle go up. It was not a planned sighting. We were driving when we saw it and were both kinda like "was that a shuttle going up?" Sure enough, we heard later on the news that one had gone up that day. It was fun to see.

We saw the shuttle launch last December as well. We were at the Poly and went out to the dock. A shuttle launch, the Electrical Water Pagent and Wishes....what a great night!

We've seen about a half dozen shuttle launches over the years. By far, the nighttime launches are the most spectacular, but all are truly special.

You can see the lauch from almost any outdoor WDW location - just look toward the east. The local TV stations usually carry a live feed of these launches - so if you're in your room you can follow the video and then look out your door once the shuttle has cleared the launch pad.

We saw the most recent launch in June from our OKW balcony:

9488ShuttleLaunch_003-med.jpg

We've watched it from the beach at the Poly as well from the ferry dock area at MK. Both were day launches.

I bet the evening launches are amazing.

That is the only advantage about FL being flat. You can see things like the shuttle from anywhere in the state, just about. We live in Tampa and watch it all the time. From Disney you just need to find an un-obstructed view, as much as possible, looking East and slightly south, then look up and you'll see it. If your in town I would recommend hopping on the East-West Toll way or one of the now many roads that head over to the East coast and get at least to I-95 and find a spot. The experience is much much better over there as you can feel the power. The only challenge is that the probability of delay is always High so you could spend valuable vacation time, but if you are into give it a try.

Several years ago we went to the California Grill for dinner and by shear luck the shuttle went off about a half hour after we arrived and we watched it from the observation deck opposite of Magic Kingdom. It was very cool. We then went inside,ate a wonderful meal(don't miss the beef filet and California roll), and then we watched the fireworks off the other deck. What a perfect night:thumbsup2

Thanks everyone. I hope that the launch is not postponed and we get a chance to see it.

A while back we were at WDW when a launch was scheduled, but it was scrubbed and re-scheduled for the day we left.

We were actually in the air flying home when the shuttle launched, and the pilot got ATC clearance to make a course change so we could clear some clouds and see it.

We were there last December and were just getting on our pontoon boat to go watch Illuminations when the shuttle launched. We had a great view of it! My DH was so excited, it was something he never thought he'd see in person in his lifetime.

Almost 7 years ago we watched a shuttle launch from 'Ohana. It looked like a little rocket going off in the far distance. I would imagine anywhere you don't have a lot of foliage would be good to watch from :)

We stood on the bridge over the canal leading to the International Gateway on our June trip. We enjoyed it from there. Not quite as exciting as the time we were staying at VB and drove up to Titusville and watched it, but still really cool!

We saw it once on a day trip to Daaytona Beach, had no idea you could see it from WDW. Won't be ther on the 8th but I'll be on the look out in the future. :wizard:

We saw the one in early June from the MK. We were at the flagpole, I noticed it was about time and asked a CM which direction was east. I finally found one who told us to look between Tony's Restaurant and the Confectionary. A few minutes later, there it was. Took pictures of it, too. Now that brought tears to my eyes.

We also saw a night one from the bus between Epcot and OKW. Just as we were driving over the bridge toward OKW, there it was. Bright as day.

Deb & Bill, we saw that one as well (in June of this year). DD and I were at DS for SWW and were able to see the launch. Fantastic. Got some great pictures as well. The entrail smoke lasted for a long, long time.

We saw last December's night launch from MK (it was scrubbed from the Thursday and happend on the Saturday). We were near the castle hub and watched Spectro - then turned and looked toward space mountain about 15 minutes later - and the shuttle rose looking like it was coming right out of the mountain. We had a great perspective. The area around the mountain glowed white, then orange then you could see the "flame" come up and then it angled left as you look at it and the light became more of a white glow - for quite a while. After that - we turned toward the castle once more, and Wishes started. Timing could not have been better.

If you have a car and want to spend the time, it's fun to go watch closer. I have seen several from various places in Florida but a few years ago when I was a Disney they were launching one and I drove over to Cocoa Beach and spent the day on the beach.

The row and lights are truly much more amazing that close!

We just saw the most recent one in June. It was amazing! We ate at Ohana and saw it from the parking lot of the Poly. Just look slightly Northeast of wherever you are at WDW and you should be able to see it with no problem. Try to get a view where you see as much of the horizon as possible. It will last about 5 mins. to the point where you dont see the shuttle anymore. The trail of smoke will last a long time though. Hope all goes well and you get to see it. Mostly, its a huge fireball, but then becomes a dot across the sky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter