Any anticipation of Wish doing longer sailings?

That was very different going from 3 ships to 4 versus 5 to 6. DCL found how popular of a booking the Wish was. It was a big draw for new people but then seasoned DCL sailers also came back and were booking it. DCL makes way more money off shorter sailings plus with the hype of the Wish those cruises were pricey compared to the other ships doing the same itinerary. Business wise it would have made more sense to put the Treasure on the 3/4 night and move the Wish to the longer sailings.

So yes if they follow the same as they did with the previous ships you'd expect Treasure to be on the longer sailings. BUT if they're looking at it as a business standpoint it'd be better to do the opposite.

Yes 3/4 night make more, but they also have the market that will never book the wish because its only 3/4 .

Miami hasn't upgraded nor has Port Everglades. It's a considerable effort to even get to barge refueling, much less to pierside
It’s also my understanding that the only ports with fixed LNG facilities in Florida are PC and Jacksonville. However, after PP’s post, I read an article mentioning that a barge refueled a LNG ship from MSC in Miami at the end of March.

I really hope they keep the Triton Class ships on the 3/4 night runs and leave the Dream and Classic Class doing the 7 and longer night cruises. Unless they have design changes, I have no interest in sailing a longer itinerary on the Wish (or similar ship). I haven't even sailed the Wish yet and we sailed the first 4 in their inaugural years.

They will not sell the Magic. While she is getting old (and there were some issues a few weeks ago), she can still run these Caribbean and Bahamas sailing and she recently had a dry dock and is very popular. I think her days in Europe are over, however.

I think the Wish stays at 3/4 nights (maybe a rare 5 night) and the Treasure does the 7/7 Caribbean routes. The Dream does what the Magic did for years - split between Florida and Europe. Wonder is staying in the Pacific for a while.

The Fantasy is the wild card. My guess is that she sails from San Diego for part of the year and then one of the Florida ports (or maybe Galveston) for the remainder.

It’s also my understanding that the only ports with fixed LNG facilities in Florida are PC and Jacksonville.
I'm not sure that PC has "fixed LNG facilities. I haven't noticed any LNG tanks there. And if there were, they would need piping to the various piers.

Port Canaveral is one of the biggest ship LNG refueling ports. LNG facilities went into service in March 2021.
https://www.portcanaveral.com/About/LNG-at-Port-Canaveral
Indeed, but after doing some digging, it seems they exclusively use bunkering and the barge they have goes back to GA to refuel after each operation - see the end of the attached article. I had read one of the reasons for the DCL terminal refurbish was to install permanent LNG pipping, but it seems it was only a rumor.

https://professionalmariner.com/first-lng-bunkering-barge-in-us-begins-work-in-port-canaveral/

They will not sell the Magic. While she is getting old (and there were some issues a few weeks ago), she can still run these Caribbean and Bahamas sailing and she recently had a dry dock and is very popular. I think her days in Europe are over, however.

I think the Wish stays at 3/4 nights (maybe a rare 5 night) and the Treasure does the 7/7 Caribbean routes. The Dream does what the Magic did for years - split between Florida and Europe. Wonder is staying in the Pacific for a while.

The Fantasy is the wild card. My guess is that she sails from San Diego for part of the year and then one of the Florida ports (or maybe Galveston) for the remainder.
They will scrap the Magic before they sell her.. but I agree she’ll sail the short routes because she’s mechanically showing age..

You are correct except the Dream class apparently doesn’t fit for the Canal so Fantasy heading that way is unlikely.

the question I don’t know is if Galveston/Port Orleans generate enough business to make a Dream class ship lucrative (I’m assuming they can dock/fit) or will the Magic do those runs and the Dream class do Everglades?

Im pretty sure Canaveral will have 3 ships ‘home ported’ most of the year. The original thoughts was one Dream class would do unique itineraries like 6/10s but it’s been awhile since that was discussed

You are correct except the Dream class apparently doesn’t fit for the Canal so Fantasy heading that way is unlikely.
They do not fit the old locks, and Magic also doesn‘t because of her dovetail, but all the ships fit in the new locks that opened in 2016. The Dream class has a 37m beam and the locks fit 51.25m ships.

Wonder still went through the old locks last time, mainly because she could but also because all the shipping companies have been ordering Neopanamax ships since the larger locks went live, so there is a lot of traffic and wait for them and not much anymore for the old system.

They will scrap the Magic before they sell her.. but I agree she’ll sail the short routes because she’s mechanically showing age..

the question I don’t know is if Galveston/Port Orleans generate enough business to make a Dream class ship lucrative (I’m assuming they can dock/fit) or will the Magic do those runs and the Dream class do Everglades?

Im pretty sure Canaveral will have 3 ships ‘home ported’ most of the year. The original thoughts was one Dream class would do unique itineraries like 6/10s but it’s been awhile since that was discussed
I still think it'll be a while before the Magic or Wonder is scrapped. Issues will always come up with ships of that age, but all things considered they are still in good shape and are very popular.

Dream Class can go through the new locks. I think with the West Coast getting left out in the last release, and the fact that the Fantasy has more freedom to move around now, she'll go through the Canal and spend some time in San Diego. The other parts of the year I could see Galveston, New Orleans or one of the Florida ports. Galveston and NOLA have never been year round ports anyway.

This is a common misconception about the dream class ships due to being listed as a height of 216 feet. However that is the overall height if the ship, the air draft (height above water line) is 188 feet. The lowest clearance in the Canal is the Bridge of America's which has a 201 foot clearance below.

Port Canaveral is one of the biggest ship LNG refueling ports. LNG facilities went into service in March 2021.
https://www.portcanaveral.com/About/LNG-at-Port-Canaveral

Indeed, but after doing some digging, it seems they exclusively use bunkering and the barge they have goes back to GA to refuel after each operation - see the end of the attached article. I had read one of the reasons for the DCL terminal refurbish was to install permanent LNG pipping, but it seems it was only a rumor.

https://professionalmariner.com/first-lng-bunkering-barge-in-us-begins-work-in-port-canaveral/
Good references. As noted the actual LNG refueling operations at Port Canaveral is via bunkering. For those not familiar with the term "bunkering", it's basically a barge that is brought alongside the vessel to be refueled. As such, it can easily serve any port in the area.

I’m seeing multiple comments about retiring/selling the Magic, and I just have to say as a total ”completionist” that I’m happy we chose to sail the classic ships first! (Just finished our Alaska sailing on the Wonder, sailing the Magic next May). 😂

More seriously, though, the Wonder is still in fantastic shape (I had no complaints - hoping to have a similar experience on the Magic!). Hopefully by the time we’re ready to complete our “collection” the new ships won’t be quite so expensive! (My husband is already asking “what do we get when we’ve sailed all the ships? Is there a special pin or something?”)
I feel you on the "completionist" vibe! I booked a 4-night on the Magic for next September, as she's the last one of the existing ships I have yet to sail on (and I wanted to be able to say I'd been on all DCL ships for at least a little bit before the Treasure comes out! 🤣)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter