• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any adults need GAC?

taximomfor4

<font color=purple>Needs a few Ricola drops<br><fo
So far, I have only needed GAC once in a while, and special needs dd was with me. Only told the cm at GR about her needs ... her accomodations accomodate me, also.

My question is, do any adults here need GAC also, and if so, how do you ask for them? For some reason, I am willing to put up with the "looks" I get using GAC for dd's sake, sometimes even while asking for one. Sometimes entering rides. I am maybe too chicken to ask for one for myself. Do they accomodate adults too? As graciously, or should I be prepared to do battle? I can only go during school breaks (in nursing school.) But I did bump the December trip to the few days BEFORE Xmas, and shortened the trip so we are leaving early xmas eve morning. Hoping to avoid the absolute worst of the crowds.

Help!?! If anyone needs more specific needs, PM me.

JudithM said:
Adults are able to get a GAC at WDW. I speak from experience.

Do the CMs give you a hard time with it, either getting it, or while using it? I am so torn, thinking I just might skip all the attractions I might have trouble with. Arrgggh. So brave when being Mommy, and so meek when NOT being mommy!

It really Depends on your needs because there are so many different types of GAC's. I know at WDW it is easier to get them then Disneyland. Disneyland is very very strict about giving the alternate entrance to adults it is very rare. But then your needs may not require a alternate entrance and the others are easier to get.
The hardest part is getting it. Once you have it the only thing cast members are permitted to ask is. "Who is the pass for." They are not permitted to ask why you need it. I hope this helps.
JenJen

I started getting a GAC at WDW in late 2000. After that I just brought back a previous GAC & showed it to the CM. About two years ago things changed, so I had to go through my whole spiel again. I think I went one trip (during the transition) without the stamp that helps the most. I continue to bring an old GAC & have not had any problems or concerns.

What exactly is GAC? What does the acronym stand for and what happens when you get it? How does one apply? I gather it involves an anternative entrance but I thought I could automatically use the disabled gate with a scooter; isn't that the alternative entrance? Please enlighten this naive gal. :flower:

zzammmi said:
What exactly is GAC? What does the acronym stand for and what happens when you get it? How does one apply? I gather it involves an anternative entrance but I thought I could automatically use the disabled gate with a scooter; isn't that the alternative entrance? Please enlighten this naive gal. :flower:

The GAC (Guest Assistance Card) is for people who have invisible disabilities. No wheelchair, scooter, etc. Although people with those might also have invisible needs. It just provides accomodations appropriate to the needs. Like some small children have wheelchairs that look like strollers. They might need a GAC/ Some children have strollers INSTEAD of wheelchairs until they are big enough to get a wheelchair. They would need a GAC to use their stroller as a wheelchair...otherwise the CMs at the rides would not know that those strollers were essential for those children.

HTH~
Beth

I've never had a problem receiving a GAC either at WDW or DL. When I used to be ambulatory but couldn't do steps, etc. I suppose I would've been considered to have an invisible disability. Now that I use a power chair and all my "attachments" ( vent and feeding pump for those who don't know me) and have my service dog my disabilities are more obvious. The CM's at Guest Relations have changed the stamps and type of assistance on the cards I've received without my asking and only once did I have a card that didn't meet my needs. I went back to GS and explained what I needed and they happily accomodated a new card with the appropriate stamp. I've seen many other adults asking for the card and have never witnessed anyone being treated rudely or unfairly. The only time I've seen a GAC denied was actually a person being denied for the stamp they asked for since the CM said that it wouldn't be appropriate....they did offer that guest a GAC though that would've met that person's need. ---Kathy

taximomfor4, I've been too timid to ask for a GAC for myself also.
But I know next time I will need to, since I had a horrible time navigating the line in Splash Mt. Stairs give me trouble, plus I use my sight to maintain my balance, and it was dark enough in there that I barely managed.
My question is, is it difficult to get 2 GACs, or should I just ask for 1 (just 2 parents and 1 child-we will probably always be together). Will they give me a hard time for asking for 2? Don't know when I'm going next, but have been wondering this!

Earstou said:
taximomfor4, I've been too timid to ask for a GAC for myself also.
But I know next time I will need to, since I had a horrible time navigating the line in Splash Mt. Stairs give me trouble, plus I use my sight to maintain my balance, and it was dark enough in there that I barely managed.
My question is, is it difficult to get 2 GACs, or should I just ask for 1 (just 2 parents and 1 child-we will probably always be together). Will they give me a hard time for asking for 2? Don't know when I'm going next, but have been wondering this!

Hmmm...I would probably just get one GAC, because even if someone sits out a ride or show, the others can still use the GAC if necessary. I cannot go on most rides anymore (the movement really gets me), so I sat out many while dh took the kids (with dd's GAC) on things. If you guys are all going to be together every day, you would not need 2. If you split up to do your own things one day, you could go to GR that day and get your own. If, in fact, they let special needs adults get them too. I am just afraid they will roll their eyes and shame me while refusing me, because if they don't have experience with my problem, they might not believe me.

Maybe I missed something but did you say why you think you would need a GAC?

Don't take this the wrong way but it is not necessary for her to tell us why. Some people like to keep there Disability or conditions private.
JenJen

Here's a summary of information about GACs (Guest Assistance Cards):
  • To request one, go to Guest Services in any of the parks and talk to the CM there about your problems and needs. The diagnosis is not really that important because people with the same diagnosis can have very different needs. The GAC is not given based on diagnosis at all (for example, there is not a "list" of appropriate diagnosis for a GAC); the GAC is given based on needs and the accomidations that meet those needs.
    The GAC is usually given for up to 6 people (5 plus the person with a disability) and is valid at all the parks for your length of stay (you don't need to get a new one at each theme park).
    A few other things
  • the GAC is not meant to be a pass that gives immediate access. In fact, about 6 years ago, they renamed it to Card because when it was called a Pass, people thought it mean front of the line access. It says right on the card that it will not shorten or eliminate waits in line.
  • it is meant as a tool to tell the CMs what the person's needs are so that they can provide appropriate accomidation for the person it was issued to. Some examples of accomidations might be a quieter place to wait, a place out of the sun (for those times when the line is in the sun for a prolonged period of time), using a stroller as a wheelchair, avoiding stairs.
  • even if you have a GAC, not all accomidations are available at each attraction (especially, some may not have a place to sit)
  • because what is stamped on the GAC is based on needs, not all GACs say the same thing.
  • think of the GAC like an insurance card, not necessarily needed or used all the time, but there for when you need it.
  • even on the same attraction, the GAC is not always handled the same each time. Exactly what happens depends on how busy it is, how many other people with special needs are there at the time and staffing. Some times you may be sent thru the regular standby line, occassionally the fastpass line; sometimes the person with the GAC and a member of their party will be given an alternate place to wait while the rest of the party goes thru the standby line - and then meet up with them when they get to the front. Sometimes you might be given a slip and told you can come back at the time written on the slip (usually equal to the standby time); very occassionally, you might be taken right in. It depends on what they call "attraction considerations" (which is basically the things I listed in the second sentence).
  • Fastpass is a good way to avoid waits in line. You don't have to be present to get a fastpass, you can send one member of your party ahead with all the park passes to get fastpasses. When you report back to the ride at your fastpass return time, your wait will be 15 minutes or less.
  • For people who are concerned about stamina or endurance, Disney suggests a wheelchair renting a motorized scooter (also called ecv; for over 18 yrs and up). The distance and time spent going around the parks is much greater than the time and distance spent in line. With an ecv or wheelchair, you will always have a place to sit and can conserve energy for fun, instead of just getting around. There is information about ecvs in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the disABILITIES Board. Most lines are wheelchair/ecv accessible.
  • If you get tired and needs to lie down in air conditioning for a while, there is a First Aid station in each park. They have cots in individual cubicles for resting.

zzammmi said:
I posted kind of a long thing that should answer your first questions.

I just wanted to add that if you have a scooter (ecv) you may not need a GAC. If your needs are met by using the accessible entrances, then you don't need a GAC. The CMs will direct see the scooter and direct you to the wheelchair entrance for that attraction. Many of the regular lines are wheelchair/ecv accessible.

SueM in MN said:
I posted kind of a long thing that should answer your first questions.

I just wanted to add that if you have a scooter (ecv) you may not need a GAC. If your needs are met by using the accessible entrances, then you don't need a GAC. The CMs will direct see the scooter and direct you to the wheelchair entrance for that attraction. Many of the regular lines are wheelchair/ecv accessible.
~~~~~

Thank you! I have been trying to sweet talk my father into renting a scooter for our trip (can you say stubborn, he can't even stand in line for 5 minutes) and I was wondeirng if he would need the GAC too. Great to know he won't. Now just to talk him into it so he can actually enjoy his trip and not over do it an end up in the hospital. :rolleyes: He has had so many surgeries (3 knees, back, shoulder, elbow) in the last few years and now needs knee replacement and 2 weeks ago hurt his other shoulder the same thing he had surgery on the other one and find out soon if he is getting surgery for that too :rolleyes1 .

I get one every now and then. I'm asthmatic, and standing in the sun on a very hot day is my number one trigger. I use it only as needed, so attractions with a shaded queue I wouldn't use it for.

I do'nt bother when it's cooler or overcast.

I jsut tell guest relations exactly what I said above, and have neer had a problem getting or using the GAC.

Anne

ducklite said:
I get one every now and then. I'm asthmatic, and standing in the sun on a very hot day is my number one trigger. I use it only as needed, so attractions with a shaded queue I wouldn't use it for.

I do'nt bother when it's cooler or overcast.

I jsut tell guest relations exactly what I said above, and have neer had a problem getting or using the GAC.

Anne

Thanks Anne, and everyone else who has contributed. I am such a stickler... all about fairness. Just would hate to have anyone think I am being unfair or trying to cheat somehow. I just want to do a couple of htinkgs that I otherwise would not be able to do (shows, basically).

Nursing school is exhausting me, I am clinging to the thought of this mini-trip...just to get through this semester. YAY WDW! I have shown my dh this thread, and he now is giving his full blessing for me to do this trip. (Good thing, because it is booked already! :teeth: ) I think the thought of me not getting a GAC had him concerned that I would come home in worse shape, not better. Now let's all just pray for NO SNOW STORMS on Xmas eve in Cleveland. I want to be home Xmas eve!

Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter