Anxious Dog Help

Hello,

I completely understand how challenging it can be to see your family dog struggle with anxiety, especially as he's gotten older. It's also understandable how his anxiety affects you as well. Dealing with an anxious pet can be emotionally draining.

You've already tried various methods to alleviate his anxiety, and I commend you for your efforts. Sometimes, finding the right solution requires a bit of trial and error. Since he's already 15 years old, it might be helpful to consult with your veterinarian to rule out any age-related health issues that could be contributing to his anxiety.

Apart from the methods you've mentioned, there are a few other things you could consider. Behavioral training and desensitization exercises might help him cope better with his triggers. Additionally, some dogs respond well to calming pheromone diffusers, which create a sense of comfort and security.

Remember that every dog is unique, and what works for one may not work for another. Patience and consistency are key when trying to address anxiety in pets. It's essential to create a safe and soothing environment for your dog to help him relax.

Lastly, don't forget to take care of yourself too. If his anxiety is affecting your own well-being, consider seeking support or guidance from a professional, such as a veterinarian or animal behaviorist, to explore further options.

Wishing you and your furry friend all the best in finding the right solution. Take care!

I was told by my vet once when I had an elderly dog that this is not uncommon for older dogs. They said it was the "sundowner's syndrome" that people get. That could be a possibility here.

Yes, I thought the same thing. I own a pet sitting business and have seen this in older dogs over the years. I have one on my list now who is a fifteen year old Havanese who is up and pacing most of the night and affecting everyone in the house with respect to sleep. He was already on trazodone and prozac for "late in life" anxiety. The vet started him on 100 mg of gabapentin and that seems to be helping. OP, you might need to speak to the vet about medicating your old pup.

We've tried all kinds of medications ,jackets,etc.and nothing really works.As they get older,the separation anxiety gets stronger,and thats when you have to reassure them with words and hugs,that everything is ok.When we leave the house to run errands or visit family and friends,we tell them we'll be right back and don't stay away too long.We also have a couple of cheap cameras to check on them while away.Mind you,not everyone will let their pets run their lives,but ours are like our kids,and we treat them as such.Good luck

I really appreciate everyone here. For now he is doing better most days. I started him on the hemp chews and Tums antacid. Unfortunately his eyesight and hearing have only gotten worse. We cannot move anything in the house but that he runs into it. :( If I call his name he sometimes turns but in the wrong direction. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter