ANOTHER Adventure in Autism (4/15) A Taste of What's to Come...

jcc0621: :thanks: BTW...You dropped your ticker for "the other place"... are you still going, or just tired of the flames? :laughing:

:lmao: No flames...Was playing around with a new ticker site and they didn't have one for there. Apparently they do now, so it will be back!:thumbsup2 I won one of thickets from the Universal Superbowl contest:banana:

Epilogue (Part One)

ep-i-logue \ n: a concluding section that rounds out the design of a literary work.

Well, my friends, I think it’s definitely about time we round out this little trippie! After all, it has been going on for almost two years now! It’s hard for me to believe, but it’s true….I began writing this (in PTR form) back in April of 2007! :eek: Yikes! Time sure flies…

Thanks to all you readers who stuck with me, despite my eight- or nine-month sabbatical from the DIS-boards while my house was being renovated. You all know how addicting the boards can be… and I hope you understood why I had to go cold turkey for a while! I’m so glad that I was able to pick up where I left off; I’ve had lots of fun reliving the memories and sharing them with you.

Since taking this trip, our family made yet another one, back in April of 2008….that one was a road trip and also lots of fun. I plan to begin that report shortly. We also have a Halloween trip planned for 2009; the link to that PTR is in my siggie, below, if you care to follow along!

One of the reasons it has taken a few days for me to get this final post together is that I wound up doing a little research for it. First, it’s been so long that I had to go back to the beginning and re-read so that I could familiarize myself with my own report!! :blush: Then, I went back and read my report from 2006. I wanted to make sure that I wasn’t mistaken about Aunt Rae and how she had changed so much, both physically and mentally, in just a year. Turns out, my memory was fairly good… there had been quite a change.

So now, I will share with you my final thoughts on our 2007 WDW trip: which should be called the "Roller-Coaster Trip" because of all the ups and downs! I'll point out the new stuff we did... the highs, the lows... what we did right and what we would do differently next time. Because around here, there’s always a next time! :thumbsup2

Pre-trip:

Lows:

Ed had to have his tooth pulled the day before our trip, so he had stitches in his mouth and was taking Advil around the clock. :sick: Aunt Rae had been in the hospital ER the past week for an attack of gout in her ankles and had been so nervous leading up to the trip that she asked her doctor for a prescription for anti-anxiety medication. :worried: This would be in addition to her regular sleeping pills.

And of course, since we were going away for a week, something in the house had to go haywire! This time, our main sewer line clogged and I had to bring in the plumber just before we left.

Highs:

Thank goodness, the kids and I were well... no colds or tummy viruses! I had been ultra-paranoid, spraying everything in the house with Lysol for a week before out trip! :rotfl:

We were so happy to have procured a reservation at the resort we had dreamed about: the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge! We love staying at new resorts and were looking forward to the WL.

*****************************************​

Saturday, 11/3/07:

Travel / Check-in / Epcot World Showcase

Lows:

Aunt Rae had not slept the night before we left, despite the sleeping pill. She also showed shortness of breath when walking for the first time.

Not exactly a “low” but, uggh! It was hard getting everyone up at 3:30 am for our flight! Next time I would pick a later flight, but sometimes there isn’t much of a choice when it comes to departure times.

This was the last Saturday night at the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot and boy, was it crowded!! :grouphug: The walkways were very congested... and I'm so glad we had that ADR for dinner! Unfortunately, the long lines at the food kiosks prevented us from enjoying the festival.

Highs:

An uneventful flight is always good! Oh, the Wilderness Lodge was just gorgeous! I was so happy to meet Ranger Stan as soon as we arrived:

IMGP1444.jpg

IMGP1447.jpg

Our two-bedroom villa was clean and in good condition. We were given a quiet location on the first floor. :thumbsup2

We started our park touring with a fabulous ride on Soarin’ …what a great way to begin!!

And it was wonderful to turn that clock back one hour just before going to bed! Ahhh!

New Things We Tried:

I was happy to have caught some of the live entertainment in Epcot’s World Showcase that we had never seen before: Serveur Amusant (France) and the Fife & Drum Corps (America).

We tried Restaurant Marrakesh in Morocco for the first time!

Food: (B) The couscous was good, but the lamb was greasy. Dessert was great!
Service: (A) Our server was very helpful.
Atmosphere: (A) Beautiful tile work. Music and belly dancing for entertainment.

IMGP1502.jpg

Sunday, 11/4/07:

Animal Kingdom / Disney Studios

Lows:

Our day-by-day ressies at VWL were messing up our Dining Plan credits and Aunt Rae is taking forever to eat each meal!:snail: Billy got upset when he realized that we weren’t doing any rides at the Studios, just dinner and Fantasmic!

We missed out on front-of-the-line access to ToT, because we had to get to our dinner ADR. Our first encounter with the Dream Team and we couldn’t use the dream! :rolleyes:

Ed and I had that little fight at 50's PTC :rolleyes1

Highs:

We had a great morning touring the AK; we got to ride EE twice and AR stayed awake for Nemo this time!

We had time for a little break at the Lodge before dinner and had a chance to explore that fabulous Lobby.

IMGP1603.jpg

We saw Fantasmic for the first time in a long while and it was great. :woohoo: We had fun passing out glow necklaces and bracelets to kids in the crowd!

Back at the Lodge, the kids had fun with a hot-tub bubble bath before bedtime:

IMGP1629.jpg

Monday, 11/5/07:

Epcot Future World

Lows:

Aunt Rae getting very slow and very anxious and forgetful... I don’t think those meds were helping her much! She refused to get a wheelchair. Ed got held up with a lot of cell phone calls from work and it delayed us a bit in the morning. He was also still hurting from his dental issues and dealing with antibiotics and Advil. :headache:

We had a 40-minute wait for our 5:50 dinner ADR at Whispering Canyon Café… :rolleyes2 That's a long time to wait with hungry kids, especially if they aren’t interested in playing with the Lincoln Logs! Not sure why the wait was so long; I thought this ADR was fairly early, but the restaurant was packed!

Highs:

We had low crowds again and a great day touring FW! Spaceship Earth was still closed for refurb, but we saw the Seas, Turtle Talk, Figment, Imageworks, Soarin', Mission Space (green), Ellen, and the kids got to play in Innoventions.

IMGP1729-1.jpg

Good food and fun at WCC. We need ketchup! :lmao:
(It was so nice to just head up to our villa right there at the resort and get to bed early.)

New for Us:

Eating at the Garden Grill (The Land)

IMGP1704.jpg

Food: (B)
Service: (B)
Atmosphere: (B-) (Next time, I would request a lower tier table) I felt cramped at our table and the lighting was not good for pictures.
Characters: Farmer Mickey and Pals: cute, but not very playful. Took quick picture and off they went.

IMGP1723.jpg

So far, the weather had been just perfect! :sunny: Sunny and warm, but not too hot and zero humidity. I love early November at WDW!!

To Be Continued…

Kathy

great recap!! I think I am going to have to print it when I get to work and take notes on some restaurants I want to eat at!!!! :)

Love the epilogue!! Wonderful writing again!! I adore this picture:

IMGP1723.jpg

You look so happy. It is great to know that there is still an April adventure and your PTR for Halloween. I really had missed you :sad:. It is fantastic to have you back!

Great recap Kathy! I just noticed Tricia's Dumbo shirt in the Epcot pic! So cute! I love Dumbo! :dumbo:

It's really fun "re-living" your report in short form! :laughing: Now I want to go back and read the whole thing again!

Awaiting Part 2....popcorn::

Sara

Epilogue (Part Two)

Let’s continue our little review! (Sorry this is coming in bits ‘n pieces….there’s a lot of deferred housework around here that needs my attention!) :laundy:

Tuesday, 11/6/07: (Magic Kingdom)

Lows:

Well, how can we ever forget Aunt Rae’s distress when she reached the MK turnstiles and realized she had left her park pass at the resort? :faint: And later that day, she was very upset that her key card would not open her door. We would later discover that she had been using her key card from the previous year! (At least that trip the only thing she kept forgetting was to put on her shoes before we left the room!!)

Ed nearly came to blows with a rude 20-something who nearly knocked AR over in the Haunted Mansion queue! :mad: Fortunately, he resisted the urge to knock the guy’s block off when he sneered at him. Ah, testosterone!

Highs:

What a surprise to meet up with my sister and her family at the gate! The kids were so excited to see each other and to be at the Magic Kingdom together!

IMGP1767.jpg

We enjoyed a lovely pre-park opening breakfast with Pooh & Friends:

IMGP1792.jpg

(The cousins were breakfasting with Cinderella.) I felt so good about my role in helping DSis get a ressie for CRT!

After a fabulous morning of FantasyLand fun, we ran into Angelique, a Dream Team member! She gave us front-of-the-line access to the Haunted Mansion (although Billy would have preferred the Hall of Presidents, I’m sure!!)

IMGP1841.jpg

He was really doing well on this trip, despite his special needs. Naturally he was dealing with a lot of stimulation, but I was so pleased that he had no real meltdowns the entire trip (unlike some of the adults in our group!)

Later, we met up with the cousins and enjoyed the Share a Dream Come True parade together!

IMGP1905-1.jpg

We spent some time relaxing at the Wilderness Lodge pool before dinner. The kids had a ball! Ed was happy that we finally spent some time at the resort instead of running around the parks…

IMGP1989-1.jpg

IMGP1982.jpg

New for Us:

Another high point of the trip was our first-ever DIS-Meet!! How fun to finally meet Tracy and Bill (mrsksomeday and YodaK) and spend time chatting about our respective families (and, of course, WDW!) It was nice to have some “adult time,” and just hang out for a bit later on, while the kids slept. To me, it felt as though we were meeting old friends! :grouphug:

Hi Tracy! Hi Bill!

IMGP1998-1.jpg

IMGP1996.jpg

Wednesday, 11/7/07: (Magic Kingdom)

This was the day of our “Mid-Trip Madness!” We had lots of “highs,” but just as many “lows”… They’re not in chronological order, but I like to get the “lows” out of the way first!

Lows:

Well, by mid-week, Aunt Rae’s condition had really begun to deteriorate, both physically and mentally, and it was becoming a strain on the rest of the family. She continued to refuse the use of a wheelchair, when it would have been very helpful indeed. Ed was rebelling against the “operational plan” that I had labored on for so many months, and we were having a good deal of friction between us. I had, not one, but two meltdowns that day! :sad2:

Our dinner at LTT had been fun, but it gobbled up two and a half hours of our evening! We also had to unexpectedly pay OOP for the meal because our fragmented DVC ressie was wreaking havoc with our Dining Plan credits.

Boy, I really could have used that relaxing jetted tub bath… if only I could have fit in the tub!! :blush:

Highs:

We finally made it to our first Magic Kingdom Opening Ceremony! :dance3:

IMGP2010.jpg

We had a great morning touring TomorrowLand and we even picked up a little hitchhiker!

IMGP2065-1.jpg

pixiedust: Tricia had her Magical Moment at Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe….she was asked to decorate one of the Christmas trees!

IMGP2106-1.jpg

Billy and Tricia had front-row seats for the Pirate Tutorial, and Billy was chosen to participate in the fun! (Daddy helped him.)

IMGP2155-1.jpg

IMGP2177-1.jpg

We finished our day with another family meet. This time, we teamed up with DSis and family for dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern for some fun with the characters....

IMGP2215-1.jpg

IMGP2238-1.jpg

New for Us: “Doing” WDW with another family.

I think that DSis and I really planned our “group activities” quite well. :thumbsup2 It would have been too difficult to tour the Magic Kingdom as one large group of ten (aged 2-76.) By meeting up for parades and character meals, we were able to let the cousins have fun together without the stress of “togetherness” throughout the entire day.

Uh-oh. Sorry, my neglected housework is calling me!! :rolleyes1

Watch out, you dust bunnies! Here I come...

To Be Continued…

Kathy

Great installment, I think it is good to look at the highs and lows of the trip, no trip is perfect, but you had some great moments.

Bill and I enjoyed seeing the pictures again :thumbsup2. It just makes me miss getting to see you and your family again. Billy and Tricia are growing up too fast :rotfl:. Thank you again for sharing your trips with us.

Epilogue, Part Three

Now, to finish up with the re-cap:

Thursday, 11/8/07
: (Disney Studios)

Lows:

We missed out on rope-drop and a morning of touring the Studios as I had originally planned. We didn’t arrive at the park until after 11:00, something we never do!

Highs:

This was one of the best days we had! :goodvibes

We began our day by taking a break from the routine and sleeping in. There had been so much tension and drama the day before; I just felt it was necessary to ease up a bit. I spent some of this time on the phone with DVC Member Services, correcting the problems we had been having with our Dining Plan and ensuring that our remaining ressies were linked properly. It was a relief to finally be done with that issue!

Member Services sent us a nice gift basket of soda and snacks, too.

The best thing that happened this day was that Aunt Rae finally, FINALLY, agreed to use a wheelchair while touring. :woohoo:Wow, did that make a difference for the rest of us!

We had an awesome time at Play & Dine with DSis and her family!! We had a bit of magic… we were originally told that we would be seated at two separate tables, but we wound up all together at one! :thumbsup2

The kids laughed and danced and played together. It was the stuff those Disney planning videos are made of!!

IMGP2296-1.jpg

IMGP2286-1.jpg

Afterwards, we all did a little touring together. DS was probably the best park for us to tour together because we mostly did shows. The cousins were together for B&TB, Playhouse Disney, VOLM, Indy, MuppetVision 3D, and the Great Movie Ride! We also had a fun group dinner at Pizza Planet, where I bumped into fellow DIS-er, WHGRN.

I got to see these guys one last time...

IMGP2335.jpg

IMGP2510-1.jpg

New for Us:

Ed and Tricia were able to do the Magic of Disney Animation for the first time (while the rest of us were at Playhouse Disney.)

Oh, and we enjoyed the re-vamped version of PHD, too! This newer version included Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, My Friends, Tigger & Pooh, Little Einsteins, and Handy Manny. :earboy2: Billy seemed to like this version better, especially the Little Einsteins!

Friday, 11/9/07: (Animal Kingdom/Artist Point)

Hmmm. It was too good to last! :sad2: It was back to the “drama” today!

Lows:

Aunt Rae was not happy with using the chair again; Ed and I had to firmly insist that she get one at the AK. (She said she felt so much better… why couldn’t she realize that she felt better because she had used the wheelchair the day before??)

But the absolute worst.... do I even need to say it??

Oh, all right…..

“Dirty Birrrrd!!”

Yes, the "Dirty Bird Incident" was most definitely a low point...:rolleyes:

I forgot two very important things when it came to Kali River Rapids: First, that I should have packed ponchos….we got drenched! Second, it had been so long since we last rode this, I forgot that a large fire was part of the attraction’s theme. Billy was really unsettled by it.

Great! First I let him get scared and then I let him get soaked! And I had no change of clothes with me, either! (Oh well, he got a new AK t-shirt out of it!)

Later, back at the resort, Ed had not one, but two run-ins with a nasty security guard after rendering first aid to a CM at Roaring Fork. It upset him for the rest of the night and almost ruined our special dinner at Artist Point.

I also regret not taking any pictures of the food/restaurant for my report.

To top it all off, Billy had a rough time at the Cub’s Den and hit Tricia in the arm. Although she was not hurt, it meant they had to be ejected from the club. The worst thing about this was that it cut our date night short, so Ed and I weren’t able to go to the Adventurer’s Club.

Unbeknownst to us, this had been our last opportunity to visit our favorite Disney club. It closed less than a year later. How I would like to have enjoyed the zaniness of the AC just one more time!

Highs:

As unbelievable as it may seem, there were a lot of high points that day! ::yes::

IMGP2716-1.jpg

Despite her reluctance, AR did accept the wheelchair, which really made getting around the park so much easier (and safer!)

How exciting it was when Billy was invited to participate in the kid’s parade at FOTLK! (Tricia helped him.) He was smiling so wide, I thought his chubby cheeks would pop!

IMGP2618-1.jpg

IMGP2616-1.jpg

Next, Tricia had her special moment “on stage!” I loved watching her learn the African tribal dance with Tam Tam:

(BTW, she received an “A” for her Three Dances of the World project!)

IMGP2672-1.jpg

New for Us:

In the past we rarely, if ever, took the time to explore the Discovery Island Trails and the Tree of Life Garden... always rushing past in the morning and then too tired to stop when exiting the park. It was so nice to just walk along the quiet trails and look at the exhibits first thing in the morning while everyone else was rushing off to EE or the Safari!

IMGP2570.jpg

IMGP2572-1.jpg

Artist Point.
Under less stressful circumstances, our dinner here would have been five-star. :cloud9: The atmosphere, food, and service were all fabulous…I’m sorry that I have no pictures to share. Ed and I will definitely have to eat here again!

Saturday, 11/10/07 (DTD/Magic Kingdom)

Lows:

I begin to experience the symptoms of Endoftripitis.

Aunt Rae absolutely refused to use the wheelchair today and was in a generally quiet, almost sullen mood. (Perhaps she had Endoftripitis, too.) I was a bit nervous when at DTD with her and Tricia..... it was very crowded and I was so afraid that she would fall!

IMGP2882-1.jpg

She had that blow-up with Ed later at the MK gate because she had inadvertantly purchased a seven-day ticket when she needed the eight-day ticket. She almost stormed back to the resort!

Highs:

It was lovely to sleep in! (A planned sleep-in this time!)

I loved being able to take that relaxing ferry ride from the Wilderness Lodge to the Magic Kingdom!

IMGP2929-1.jpg

And, of course:

Wishes!!

SpectroMagic!!!

Although bittersweet, that last night at the Magic Kingdom was very special!

IMGP2993-1.jpg

New for Us:

I had never visited DTD during the Festival of Masters before. Although it made for bigger crowds, it was certainly fun admiring all the artwork, especially the sidewalk chalk artists!

IMGP2889-1.jpg

This was our first time eating at `Ohana, and it was fantastic! The food was delish and there was entertainment for the kids. Definitely a must-do for the future!

IMGP2979-1.jpg

Sunday, 11/11/07 (Check-out)

Lows:

Last day. (Sigh) We were leaving WDW. (Sigh) The all-time low of every trip! :sad:

Highs:

IMGP3125-2.jpg

We really had fun renting the four-person surrey bike and pedaling around the resort. We had perfect weather for it; I’m not so sure if I would want to do this in August! We decided that for the next visit, we wanted to rent the Sea Raycers!

Next Up: The Author’s Final Thoughts and Reader Responses

Kathy

Great installment!! Bill and Tricia looked so happy! I am so sorry for all the stress you had this trip :grouphug:.

Did Disney ever contact Ed about the security guard? That person needed to be fired in my opinion.

Another great recap! I love the picture of Billy with Leo. Hopefully this is the case for you too, but I always seem to remember the "highs" as the "lows" fade away in my memory.

Did Disney ever contact Ed about the security guard? That person needed to be fired in my opinion.

I was going to mention this in the final post! But, since you asked....

Tracy, he did get a phone call from the Security Director upon our return home, and was assured that there would be "appropriate action" taken. Apparantly, Ed was not the first guest who had a negative experience with this CM.

I will tell you, however, that she was not fired, exactly....

:ssst: I don't want to give anything away just yet, but we actually ran into her again in April (but she did not remember Ed!) Oh, he remembered her, though!!

TTYL,

Kathy

great recap!! I think I am going to have to print it when I get to work and take notes on some restaurants I want to eat at!!!! :)

Its so hard to choose... there are so many good ones... you feel like you could just eat and eat all day if you could!!

Congrats on your upcoming trip in December!! :thumbsup2

Kathy

Awww...sad to see the report come to an end, but it's been so much fun reading along. I'm so glad you came back and finished! You did have some ups and downs, but what a great trip! Thanks for sharing!! :goodvibes

What a fun trip report! I really enjoyed reading your Epilogues, with the highs and lows of your trip...what a great idea! My one TR I tried to do never got completed, so I didn't get a chance to do this. Maybe I'll try again after this next trip. Loved the pic of Billy with Leo...my DD's 7 and 11 still enjoy watching Little Einsteins, so maybe we'll try eating with them and surprise the girls (they enjoyed getting their pics on the streets on DHS last year!). Can't wait for your next installment!

I will tell you, however, that she was not fired, exactly....

:ssst: I don't want to give anything away just yet, but we actually ran into her again in April (but she did not remember Ed!) Oh, he remembered her,

If THAT isn't a teaser for your next report! :rotfl:

All I can think of during this recap is when one of your nieces shouted, "Dance your pants off, Billy!" :banana: What a great, great memory - and that picture is awesome!

I'm anxiously awaiting the final epilogue, because I can't wait to get to your next trip report (the first one without Aunt Rae, correct?).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter