Animal Kingdom - Most Underrated Park at Disney

GeorgiaHoo

DIS Veteran
I was soft planning the days for our upcoming trip to Disney and came to the conclusion that Animal Kingdom is the most underrated (and perhaps best) park at Disney. I know that I never quite appreciated how neat the park is. Aside from the outstanding theming, Animal Kingdom contains a number of the best shows and rides at all of Disney. In fact, I'm not sure even Magic Kingdom (long my favorite) can compare. You've got thrill rides in Expedition Everest and Dinosaur (though not a big fan of that one), great shows in Flights of Wonder, Lion King and Nemo, the Pangani and Maharajah trails, Tough to Be a Bug, and one of the best rides around in the Kilimanjaro Safaris. I admit that a few years ago I said Animal Kingdom was just a "zoo" but was pretty clearly wrong about that. Although it doesn't have as many rides as Magic Kingdom, the rides are among the best Disney offers. The only rides (in my opinion) that compare to those at Animal Kingdom are Big Thunder Mountain (a classic) and Splash Mountain (my favorite). Magic Kingdom just doesn't have the shows to compare. While we like Mickey's Philharmagic there's nothing else at Magic Kingdom that has the "awe" factor.

I was soft planning the days for our upcoming trip to Disney and came to the conclusion that Animal Kingdom is the most underrated (and perhaps best) park at Disney. I know that I never quite appreciated how neat the park is. Aside from the outstanding theming, Animal Kingdom contains a number of the best shows and rides at all of Disney. In fact, I'm not sure even Magic Kingdom (long my favorite) can compare. You've got thrill rides in Expedition Everest and Dinosaur (though not a big fan of that one), great shows in Flights of Wonder, Lion King and Nemo, the Pangani and Maharajah trails, Tough to Be a Bug, and one of the best rides around in the Kilimanjaro Safaris. I admit that a few years ago I said Animal Kingdom was just a "zoo" but was pretty clearly wrong about that. Although it doesn't have as many rides as Magic Kingdom, the rides are among the best Disney offers. The only rides (in my opinion) that compare to those at Animal Kingdom are Big Thunder Mountain (a classic) and Splash Mountain (my favorite). Magic Kingdom just doesn't have the shows to compare. While we like Mickey's Philharmagic there's nothing else at Magic Kingdom that has the "awe" factor.

We all have our opinions and likes and dislikes. My DH loves the AK. I only go for the shows - Flights of Wonder, Lion King, and Nemo. I don't care for the trails at all, neither the Safari (intentionally way too rough). If I have the luck to run into *Devine* that is a bonus with me also. :)

Glad you've realized it's not just a zoo!:rotfl2: I would have to agree that the theming at the park is outstanding, from the walkways to the buildings, they did such a great job makes you feel like you are in a different world

I absolutely love AK!! I'm pretty sure it's my second favorite park, who knows?! I don't know if I can even choose which park I love the most, but AK holds my favorite show and my favorite ride, I absolutely love that park and plan on spending more time there next trip!

We all have our opinions and likes and dislikes. My DH loves the AK. I only go for the shows - Flights of Wonder, Lion King, and Nemo. I don't care for the trails at all, neither the Safari (intentionally way too rough). If I have the luck to run into *Devine* that is a bonus with me also. :)

One of the great things about Disney World is that it offers options for all kinds of tastes. I know there are lots of people that don't like AK but swear by Epcot, which is an ok place for me but not great. Have to say that Flights of Wonder is a really neat show.

I absolutely love AK!! I'm pretty sure it's my second favorite park, who knows?! I don't know if I can even choose which park I love the most, but AK holds my favorite show and my favorite ride, I absolutely love that park and plan on spending more time there next trip!

As do we. Seems to me that it is easily a full day park, and that is just doing each attraction once.

I love AK (I am a wildlife photographer) but picking the best park would be like picking my favorite child. Well my favorite cat, I don't have any kids (at least none that I know about).

AK is number two for me after Epcot. It makes for a great day! The themeing is great. Love the nature trails, safari, Dino, & EE. I gotta admit sometimes I still get lost in that park even after all these years going there. :confused:

Animal Kingdom was the first park we went to on our first visit in 2010. AK is one of our favorite parks and it will always hold a special part in our hearts:love:.

I think you have hit the nail on the head! :thumbsup2

I too used to think it was "just a zoo". But each trip I learn how much more this park has to offer. This next trip, I have booked the Wild Africa Trek to get a totally new perspective, and a new admiration for the park. I plan on hitting all the shows - something I have never done! This trip, I will have the leisure time to really enjoy AK. :goofy:

I like AK, but wasn't too sure about it until last year. Our first and second years we had bad experiences b/c of the heat. My mom cannot handle heat and caused arguments both times. Last year was the first year we made it almost all day. I actually enjoyed it. I don't like how hot it gets there. I feel like I am being baked when I get over by EE! I don't enjoy Rafiki's Planet Watch and Conservation Station. I won't ever go there again. That part felt like a zoo to me, though I did enjoy the train ride.

That being said, I LOVE DINOSAUR, Kali, It's Tough to be a Bug, and the theming.

My husband and I were looking at the map last week and realized that b/c of the meltdowns our first two times in AK, we have never experienced whole sections of AK. We weren't really planning on going there, but now we want to explore the parts we haven't visited. We have never been to Camp Minnie-Mickey, Africa, Nemo and Lion King (though every trip I have wanted to see both and haven't managed it), and Flights of Wonder. We only walked part way into Asia we realized as well.

So...I realize now that I haven't given AK a fair shake. I will explore it better with my husband as we won't have the kids this trip, and I am sure I will appreciate it more.

For me AK is a very nice park, but compared to the rest of Disney World, it is just worth to be there for a few hours (depends on the crowd level).

Expedition Everest, the Safari and Dinosaur are great rides, but that's it for me. Kali River Rapids is totally overrated I think, Primeval Whirl is a joke.
We also had a meltdown there....maybe due to the heat and humidity we are not used to. But the climate in AK is....different. In a negative way.

But I would like to stay at the AKL! ;)
(Although often people say the bus service is horrible :hourglass:hourglass )

I think AK is very underrated. We didn't spend a lot of time at this park on our first and second trip. We went with the mindset that you can't see it all or do it all, and there will always be another trip. As a newbie, I "assumed" I wasn't really missing a lot since AK gets notoriously known here on the boards as "half day park only." With each subsequent trip, we've spent more time at AK. I've learned (as with restaurants, resorts, and many other things), that you've really got to try something yourself first to form your own opinion. We really didn't give AK a fair shake the first two trips by only spending a few hours there. On our last trip we spent almost two full days there. I know many would die doing that, but for us, we really enjoyed it. While it's not my top favorite park (Epcot is), it is my oldest daughter's. The atmosphere, the shows, the rides, and the animal experiences (many don't take the time to enjoy this feature of the park) add up to why we really enjoy AK.

On our last trip, we didn't do Camp Minnie and Mickey, the trails (honestly, I didn't really know what they were), Lion King, the parade or the Flights of Wonder show. This year, we are skipping Nemo and Rafiki's planet watch and conservatory and focusing on the things we missed last time. We are going to AK on the day we leave but I am looking forward to it now that we've done a bit more research about the park.

Ak is right up there with MK as our top parks.

I often run across posts with people saying how AK is a half day park, I sit here and scratch my head. I will never be able to figure out how people figure AK as a half day park or a park to miss all together.

differences in opinions and likes I guess, but for me AK will always be at least a full day park and one of the best Disney has to offer.

We stayed at AKL in November loved the bus transportation no issues or long waits. Except once when I barely missed a bus at Hollywood.

Long story short, I love AK and I haven't even experienced all of it. Magic Kingdom I think will always hold first place but only because of my childhood memories there as well, boy has that parked changed.. Epcot I could skip but my kids like finding Nemo, and DH likes A ride. Hollywood is okay for us too, have to visit because of Star Tours...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter