Animal Kingdom Lodge

FortuneShark

Earning My Ears
Does anyone have experience with an upgrrade at Animal Kingdom Lodge? We are due in first week of October, and thhis being a game show prize win, we are not the ones booking the room. I am assuming that we will be a assigned the base room category, but given the 7 nights, I am hoping for something of an upgraded room or perhaps something larger.

Any tips, tricks, or suggestions? When I travel to Vegas, my first bet on the stay is sliding over a crispy folded $100 bill to the front desk agent with my ID and Credit Card and telling them,

"This is for you, regardless if you can do anything for me or not"

Any chance this type of generosity works at the Disney Resorts?

I'd say your chances are probably slim to none!! Much better odds, ironically, in Vegas! It never hurts to ask, but I expect if you can't manage an upgraded or different room type before you go, it won't be happening when you arrive. The rooms and resorts at Disney are just too busy and occupied for things like that to happen very often. Seems like the occasional upgrade people get is because of a problem with their reserved room or an overbooking error. Do you know if you'll be on the Kidani side (which are DVC rooms) or Jambo (which would probably be a standard resort 'hotel' room)? Congrats on winning your trip! Even a base room at AKL is spectacular for a week!

I had a standard room booked in May for Sun to Saturday stay. I sent a fax request to request a partial animal view. I also mentioned that I was celebrating 5 years of being cancer free ( which is a true statement). Got put in to a Safari view room when I got my room assignment.

October is pretty popular month so probably limited availability. You can ask for upgrade room if available and just pay the price difference yourself. There are standard rooms that have a partial animal view that you could ask the front desk about.

I would contact the game show as there is a person who does the booking usually PR would be able to give you all the details of the room and what view. I would contact them either way as you need a reservation number for the My Disney App so you can book theme park reservations if tickets are included as well as Dining reservations if you chose to make them. Once you have the reservation number you could find out the details. You can ask for an upgrade when you check in if it is available they will tell you the price difference. AKL does have suites however there can easily be a thousand a night difference in price if that interests you. Disney is Disney and unfortunately does not work like other resorts as the person at check in will needs manager overrides to make changes unless it is within the same cat. of room.

I'd say your chances are probably slim to none!! Much better odds, ironically, in Vegas! It never hurts to ask, but I expect if you can't manage an upgraded or different room type before you go, it won't be happening when you arrive. The rooms and resorts at Disney are just too busy and occupied for things like that to happen very often. Seems like the occasional upgrade people get is because of a problem with their reserved room or an overbooking error. Do you know if you'll be on the Kidani side (which are DVC rooms) or Jambo (which would probably be a standard resort 'hotel' room)? Congrats on winning your trip! Even a base room at AKL is spectacular for a week!
No I have no clue unfortunately. I have to admit as well, the Disney Vacation communication has been absolutely terrible. This may be my perception as I am a hotelier by profession, but I had much higher expectations.

First of all, congratulations on your win! I was upgraded from Standard View to Savannah View on my first trip to AKL. It turned out to be expensive for me because it prompted me to buy into the Disney Vacation Club there.

There are three views you can have from your room:
1. Resort View, aka Standard View which is basically a view of the parking lot
2. Pool View
3. Savannah View of the animals

I know on the Disney Vacation Club side of the resort (the Animal Kingdom Villas), some of the obstructed/partial views of the savannah are considered "standard view". I'm not sure if that applies to the Lodge or not.

I would follow the advise given here. Set up a My Disney Experience (MDE) account in your name. Obtain your confirmation number from the game show people. You will need that to be able to sync it with the MDE. Once you have your confirmation number, you'll be able to tell what view you have been assigned. If you are assigned a Resort View, I would call Disney and make a location request for a room with a partial view of the savannah.

First of all, congratulations on your win! I was upgraded from Standard View to Savannah View on my first trip to AKL. It turned out to be expensive for me because it prompted me to buy into the Disney Vacation Club there.

There are three views you can have from your room:
1. Resort View, aka Standard View which is basically a view of the parking lot
2. Pool View
3. Savannah View of the animals

I know on the Disney Vacation Club side of the resort (the Animal Kingdom Villas), some of the obstructed/partial views of the savannah are considered "standard view". I'm not sure if that applies to the Lodge or not.

I would follow the advise given here. Set up a My Disney Experience (MDE) account in your name. Obtain your confirmation number from the game show people. You will need that to be able to sync it with the MDE. Once you have your confirmation number, you'll be able to tell what view you have been assigned. If you are assigned a Resort View, I would call Disney and make a location request for a room with a partial view of the savannah.
Thank you, yes its all set up in the app, that is where I can currently see Resort View

No I have no clue unfortunately. I have to admit as well, the Disney Vacation communication has been absolutely terrible. This may be my perception as I am a hotelier by profession, but I had much higher expectations.
A toungue-in-cheek thought I had to your comment - people are already quite upset about having to pay for Genie+ and for ILL, and Magical Express is gone, and (for a short time) guests had to pay to park their cars at the resorts, and prices are high. If it ever happened that handing the CM at the resort desk a C-note could get you upgraded to a superior room for that week?? I think the entire Disney reservation system would crumble under the weight!!!!

Complimentary upgrades at Disney are much rarer than they are everywhere else. Disney does a VERY good job at keeping their hotels at capacity year round, so there isn't typically anywhere TO upgrade someone.
IF someone receives an upgrade, then it's usually because it makes sense for the room scheduler, and those are assigned days before check-in.
Even within your room category, there's only a small amount of maneuverability that the front desk has to offer a different room. Even arriving early in the day, I've been told that there's literally no other room available that day than the one I'm already assigned.

The people you talk to at Disney customer service aren't anywhere near the Disney resorts. Some of them have never even set foot on the property.

If you want a different room, then your best option is to call and ask if you can pay for an upgrade, then pay for it.

Does anyone have experience with an upgrrade at Animal Kingdom Lodge? We are due in first week of October, and thhis being a game show prize win, we are not the ones booking the room. I am assuming that we will be a assigned the base room category, but given the 7 nights, I am hoping for something of an upgraded room or perhaps something larger.

Any tips, tricks, or suggestions? When I travel to Vegas, my first bet on the stay is sliding over a crispy folded $100 bill to the front desk agent with my ID and Credit Card and telling them,

From what I've heard, the cast members at the front desk will get in trouble if they take a tip. Perhaps somebody else can confirm this.

At Animal Kingdom Lodge, the "better" rooms are the ones in the savanna room category, because you can see the animals.

I think the regular rooms are all standard size.

There is a Presidential suite. The Disneyworld website shows 1-bedroom resort view suites, 1-bedroom savanna room suites, and 2-bedroom savanna room suites. If you're there on a freebie vacation, I wouldn't think you would get upgraded to a suite.

The bigger rooms are the DVC (time share) one-bedroom, two-bedroom and three-bedroom villas. Again, if you're there on a freebie, I wouldn't think you would get a DVC room.

Somebody else probably will give you more details.

Staff at the front desk do not assign rooms. That's done centrally. You can ask if there is a room you can be upgraded to and they'll tell you what it costs if it's available after checking with the central assignment staff. Also, while there are a number of different views, the rooms are all pretty much the same size unless you get a DVC room or a suite which is highly unlikely. Rarely if ever will you get a free upgrade and, if you do, it's usually because it benefits them.

You can always ask about availability and what the cost would be to upgrade. Honestly, just be happy with what you have and enjoy your trip.

So lucky!! I adore AKL.

I booked a stay at AKL last year in a resort view room (DVC) and received an upgrade to pool view without asking. In all my stays at WDW, that has happened only twice. Without asking or expecting. It was wonderful but to be honest, my stay at AKL would have been spectacular regardless. It's a beautiful resort with delicious food options, lovely pools, comfortable rooms and the fun of the animals. You could ask to pay for a better view room (your best chance) or just hope for the best. Regardless, I hope you enjoy your week!

I have also did the tip thing at Vegas but at WDW just keep your $$ in your pocket unless you are going to pay for the upgrade. The desk CM's are not allowed to take any tips, plus at WDW the rooms are already assigned 4-5 days prior to your check-in and they do not have the authority to change it without a manager. Where as in Vegas the desk person does have authority to do any room changes when you are checking in. With all that said, I have been lucky enough to be upgraded to SV twice at AKL just by nicely asking. It all depends on their room inventory when you check-in.

First, welcome to the Dis.

Disney cast members are not allowed to take "tips".

Disney is not Vegas. I gotta see a "crispy folded" $100 bill lol - I have only seen a folded crisp $100 bill ;)

I suggest that you ask for a "partial" savannah view. They are considered standard views and @ Jambo House there are plenty of partial Savannah view rooms.

If by chance you get a parking lot view or pool view, there are viewing areas at the resort.

You don't mention how many people are going to be in your room. A studio is just fine for two adults. It has a Keurig, small fridge, and small table. There is also a table with two chairs out on the balcony.

There is NO room service @ AKL or any other WDW resort other than the GF. pre covid, we would have breakfast in the room a couple of days.

Again, ask for a "partial" savannah view or pay for the upgrade.

Be sure to visit Kidani village resort also. Sanaa is great! They have several viewing areas there also.

AKL is my FAVORITE resort.

I will be at Jambo House the first week in October-while at the resort, we like the pool bar and Victoria Falls lounge. Jiko, Boma, and Sanaa are all on our agenda this trip also.

I am going to say, probably been said many times before, if you have a Savana view you MUST get a lower floor and closer to the lobby. Otherwise you will be looking at a distance most times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter