Animal Kingdom at Night. Wow!!

Can anyone comment on the mosquitoes there lately? Between Rivers of Light being postponed and some of the early reports saying the mosquitoes were horrible at night with the fear of Zika, we are pretty sure we are skipping it this time but we would love to see it. I have never really noticed the mosquitoes in other parks but people were saying on these boards that they are horrible at AK at night. I just don't want to increase the chances of getting Zika.
Zero mosquitoes. If there was one within 50 miles of AK, DH would have been bitten 20 times. Narry a bite.

We always try to make 1 evening at AK in the dark, the ligthly effects are amazing . A great time just to walk around.

AKK

I am so excited to see AK after dark this trip. I never give that park the justice it deserves because it is always so beastly hot there! I'm so sad to see they are taking Dinosaur down during our August trip though! I am MOST excited that my kids will finally get to play in the Boneyard, ha ha ha! ITs always to hot to stand it previously.
:rotfl2: Beastly hot. :lmao: so funny! I love it! :rotfl: I totally agree with you too. The heat at this park is one of the reasons why i try to avoid AK, or at the very least, spend as little time as i can there. i'd loooove to see this park at night. I just might end up loving AK! And i didnt think that was possible. :)

Can anyone comment on the mosquitoes there lately? Between Rivers of Light being postponed and some of the early reports saying the mosquitoes were horrible at night with the fear of Zika, we are pretty sure we are skipping it this time but we would love to see it. I have never really noticed the mosquitoes in other parks but people were saying on these boards that they are horrible at AK at night. I just don't want to increase the chances of getting Zika.

I've never seen (or felt) a mosquito at Disney, even at Fort Wilderness. I'm one of those people that mosquitoes zero in on, so they clearly have some way of keeping them at bay. If you are concerned, just pack a can of repellent along. I wouldn't miss out on AK at night, if you can help it.

Another interesting note, is that I live two hours away and have not had any mosquitoes this year at all, despite living in the woods. Every other year, we have our property fogged once a week. Some years, that isn't even enough to deter them. This year, we have not even had the mosquito control people out here. Not sure why they are not around this year and not sure if the same holds true for Orlando, but I'm enjoying it.

When i'm looking for a night out somewhere, more often than not i'm heading to AK these days.. The sun is down, nice breezes, short lines (or fastpasses available as you get to the line)... Not that much opened but it's all an experience and if you do it all will take the entire night as the rides do change...

Tonight I happened to time the safari really well. was just starting to be darker when we hit the fp+ line at 8:15ish and our truck started moving at 8:30ish.. everything was out and about either moving to their dark corner or getting ready to hide.. lions weren't active yet but they were front and center to see easily... it was dark by the time we finished so the best of both worlds and try to time it do your starting about 15 minutes before dusk if possible..

I hope that once Disney gets their AK hours to a consistant close time more people will come. It's been hard to plan because the hours a few months out still say 5 PM close. I bet once they emain open late on a daily basis people will add time in the evening as a routine part of park planning.

Thanks for the report. We will be down in 15 days and are really looking forward to AK at night. For us it may be our 3rd park of the day (several days) because we may hop over there at 9 and hit a few things before going back to our resort each night.

Thanks for the report. We are there at the beginning of October and I have 2 nights planned especially for this, but the closing time is apparently 7:30. I'm a bit concerned about that as I had in my head that I would get quite a bit of time there for the evening, not just an hour or so after it gets dark...something like Epcot World Showcase timing. I know it obviously gets darker earlier in October, but that still seems very early for a night time experience. I was going to have dinner at Tiffin too, but I think it will eat far too much into any evening time we do have. Really looking forward to seeing it all though :)

I hope that once Disney gets their AK hours to a consistant close time more people will come. It's been hard to plan because the hours a few months out still say 5 PM close. I bet once they emain open late on a daily basis people will add time in the evening as a routine part of park planning.
It is open till 11:00 consistently. What they aren't doing is changing the hours in a consistent way

Thanks for the report. We are there at the beginning of October and I have 2 nights planned especially for this, but the closing time is apparently 7:30. I'm a bit concerned about that as I had in my head that I would get quite a bit of time there for the evening, not just an hour or so after it gets dark...something like Epcot World Showcase timing. I know it obviously gets darker earlier in October, but that still seems very early for a night time experience. I was going to have dinner at Tiffin too, but I think it will eat far too much into any evening time we do have. Really looking forward to seeing it all though :)
It is going to be open later. They are waiting now to see just what show they'll have and how many they'll need by then.

:rotfl2: Beastly hot. :lmao: so funny! I love it! :rotfl: I totally agree with you too. The heat at this park is one of the reasons why i try to avoid AK, or at the very least, spend as little time as i can there. i'd loooove to see this park at night. I just might end up loving AK! And i didnt think that was possible. :)
So many say it's the hottest park but it's the coolest to us.
So much shade and foilage feels much cooler to me, not hotter
For me the hottest park, by far, is Epcot. All that concrete, no shade to be found though most of WS

So many say it's the hottest park but it's the coolest to us.
So much shade and foilage feels much cooler to me, not hotter
For me the hottest park, by far, is Epcot. All that concrete, no shade to be found though most of WS
AK is the coolest park? :eek: Totally opposite for us. The shade of the tree's dont help us at all. After touring AK for half a day, im dead to the world after. Its the only park that wipes me out! :faint:

Yes thats true about the WS at Epcot. Concrete but no shade. But I duck into the air conditioned stores to cool off.

Zero mosquitoes. If there was one within 50 miles of AK, DH would have been bitten 20 times. Narry a bite.
The only time we noticed getting bit was while we were sitting to watch the Jungle Book show. I think I got bit about 3 times.

Question on dining: We have a reservation for Tusker House the third week of December and the park closing time is listing now as 5:00 pm. Our dining reservation is for 4:00 something. If the park will be open til 11, will the restaurants stay open later? I don't want to eat dinner at 4:00 if we will be there until 11 pm.

Question on dining: We have a reservation for Tusker House the third week of December and the park closing time is listing now as 5:00 pm. Our dining reservation is for 4:00 something. If the park will be open til 11, will the restaurants stay open later? I don't want to eat dinner at 4:00 if we will be there until 11 pm.
Yes, if the park hours are extended the dining will remain open in most cases.

Given that sunset is at 8:11pm on our AK day, what time would you go on the safari? I have our FP+ from 7:25 - 8:25pm. We've always done the safari in the morning, and by now it's getting pretty repetitive to be honest. Hoping for a little different experience by doing it at sunset this time.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Tell me about it! It's brutal trying to planning a night at AK without any idea of hours. We have a December trip and I have a night for Tiffins and hopefully ROL and then I want a night without a meal planned or fireworks just to do the Night safari and relax and enjoy the park itself. So wish Disney would make this easier. :headache: Very excited about evenings at AK though! :simba:

We will be there this Sunday night. We usually only do AK in the morning. We are looking forward to the night experience and hopefully low crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter