Animal Kindgom's Polar Plunge based off the True Life Adventure special White Wilderness

eric8

Mouseketeer
An indoor boat ride with huge drop (think Jurassic Park at Universal). Inside the building temperature is lowered to the 30's. You are going on an expedition through the arctic and wind up being chased by polar bears before you make the huge drop (water will be freezing cold).

Maybe an imagineer will see this and make it happen. Will be a hit during the hot humid months.

An indoor boat ride with huge drop (think Jurassic Park at Universal). Inside the building temperature is lowered to the 30's. You are going on an expedition through the arctic and wind up being chased by polar bears before you make the huge drop (water will be freezing cold).

Maybe an imagineer will see this and make it happen. Will be a hit during the hot humid months.
Where do you imagine it would be placed in? The area between Animal Kingdom and Buena Vista Drive is conservation land and is not suitable for development. Believe me, I tried suggesting a southeast expansion of DinoLand/South America, but was denied, because it was in a conservation area.

How about having your idea placed in the land between Animal Kingdom park and Animal Kingdom Lodge? It's marginally suitable land.

My first thought the A/C bill to keep that cold in Florida could build another ride.

Sounds like empire of the penguin at Seaworld

Ome time I almost passed out in Animal Kingdom when i went from Yak &Yeti with the AC on high, out into the September Florida heat.

I do agree it would be fun if Animal Kingdom had something with the animals on the arctic.

Last edited:
An attraction featuring Arctic animals is not a bad concept, but I guarantee it would not be themed to the White Wilderness IP.

Wild Wilderness is infamous for the clifftop lemming massacre, which promulgated the myth that lemmings commit mass suicide by deliberately running off of cliffs into the sea. The truth is that the production staff deliberately herded lemmings off of that cliff (into a river, not the ocean) for the movie, using careful camera work to make it look like there were thousands of them when it was only a fraction of that. To make matters worse, the lemmings were not native to the area; they had to be imported for the purpose of throwing them off the cliff.. https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=56

The lemming massacre is considered one of the most shamefully deceitful sequences ever included in a documentary film, and even though it happened 70 years ago, is still studied in film schools today as an example of what NOT to do when making a nature documentary. As with Song of the South, Disney has permanently buried it deep in the Vault, where it is destined to stay.

Taking folk from 80-100 to below freezing is asking for trouble. That is way too big a temperature swing and if the ride broke down and people were stuck? Yikes. Logistics aside bringing the arctic to AK would be neat.

Taking folk from 80-100 to below freezing is asking for trouble. That is way too big a temperature swing and if the ride broke down and people were stuck? Yikes. Logistics aside bringing the arctic to AK would be neat
I think the Sea World Ice Wall effect could be useful here in the queue, and utilizing fans and misting systems for the ride could drop the temperature down enough to give it a feel of lower temperatures needed for the ride.

Okay, so I’m now starting to realize that having animals from the polar caps in Animal Kingdom may be an issue, because those creatures need total cold to survive, and Florida is usually a hot place. Can we focus on a different topic on this thread, like bringing an Australia land to AK?

Okay, so I’m now starting to realize that having animals from the polar caps in Animal Kingdom may be an issue, because those creatures need total cold to survive, and Florida is usually a hot place. Can we focus on a different topic on this thread, like bringing an Australia land to AK?
They have animals from polar regions at Sea World. And you’re free to start a thread about Australia in AK if you have something new to say about it.

FWIW, Arctic animals don't need subfreezing temps; just cool ones. Most zoo penguin exhibits are kept at about 50F. WDW visitors would probably love spending some time in temps like that, but I think it would be better as a walk-through than a ride, unless the ride was at the end and was a bit warmer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter