Analysis of AP Rates v/s YMP Code -- UPDATE For Regular Season Aug 21-27!

robinb

DIS veteran
I thought I would do a little analysis comparing AP rates with the new YMP code with free MYM dining. I wanted to know exactly how much, per person per day, the package would "cost" AP holders over the AP room-only rate.

My Conclusions:
(1) It is always "worth it" to book the YMP code for the Value resots. Even if there are 2 people in the room, the maximum cost is $12.50 per person per day for 2 meals and a snack. Great deal and even better if you have kids :).

(2) It may or may not be "worth it" for a moderate. Two people in a room would cost $22.50-$25 per person per day. You may or may not eat that much. I know it would be worth it to me as we enjoy eating at WDW and plan a couple sit-down meals every trip. Once you get to 3-5 people in the room you are saving a bunch!

(3) Deluxes are even more problematic. For 2 people it is equal to or more to get the YMP plan than the dining is even worth! If you're 2 adults and a child, you're really not saving a whole bunch either. You need to have 4-5 people in a room for it to start to make sense. Of course, if you're the type that would use the MYM Dining Plan to the max (like me) then even booking a Deluxe would be worth it, IMO.

Here is my analysis:

I made the following assumptions ...
(1) The AP holder would buy the minium 1 MYM basic pass per person and
(2) The pass would not go to waste. The AP holder would either use (or upgrade) the pass later or would upgrade to to an AP for the current trip.

The calculations were actually pretty easy because the current AP rates are a fixed discount off rack rates, depending on hotel class and season. It is that discount, which is divided by the number of people in the room, which is the "cost" of the meal plan.

Please See My Update Post Below for Regular Season!!

Regular Season -- AP Discounts
August 21 - August 27
Value Moderate Deluxe
$25.00 $50.00 $75.00

Cost of YMP over AP, per person per day
Value Moderate Deluxe
2 People
$12.50 $25.00 $37.50
3 People
$8.33 $16.67 $25.00
4 People
$6.25 $12.50 $18.75
5 People
n/a $10.00 $15.00

Value Season -- AP Discounts
August 28 - October 4
Value Moderate Deluxe
$18.00 $45.00 $70.00

Value Moderate Deluxe
2 People
$9.00 $22.50 $35.00
3 People
$6.00 $15.00 $23.33
4 People
$4.50 $11.25 $17.50
5 People
n/a $9.00 $14.00

Interesting anaylsis. Thanks for sharing.

We are staying at WL in Feb, and just in case they offer the free dining, we were trying to figure the savings, too. The way I was looking at it was that the $70/night AP discount and the free dining for 2 adults (about $70 per day) cancel each other out. So we would end up paying an extra $180 for an AP vs Hopper Pass for this trip, but hopefully would pay itself off in another trip.

So anyway, we pretty much came to the same conclusion. Two adults in a deluxe wouldn't pay off for free dining.

I have a quote for One Adult - 10 days - at a value resort - with 10 days of dining included - and 1 day base park pass : $924

(Side Note: 2 Adults is $988)

My AP is paid for - I have already been to the parks 16 days since purchase

AP rate for a Value hotel in value season is $658 w/ tax

I projected that my dining would be :
10 snacks - @ $3 each - $30
10 Counter Service @ $12 each - $120
5 Buffet Meals (Table Service) @ $28 each - $140
5 Sit Down Dinners @ $45 each - $225

Meal Total - $515
DDE Discount - $103
Total - $412

Room ($658) plus Food ($412) = $1070

So I save $146 or close to the price of a two day park admission

DizzKnee

I agree the real savings are for stays at the value resorts. We have a ressie for CR for $136 a night, so if we went to rack it would cost us another $136 a night. That is pretty much how much we would spend in dining for 2 adults per day, so we break even. We kept our discounted room at CR and passed on the dining. However, we have other family staying at Pop, 4 in a room, 2 adults and 2 juniors, and they will save a ton of money. The package costed an additional $500 over what we originally had the room for. Out of that $500 we paid for 4 one-day passes, which will be used by some in the room and upgradeable by others, which leaves about $300 for dining for 9 days. I calculated the cost (actually lower than the OP) and the dining for 9 days of adult meals for this group will be well over $2,000. A huge savings. If this is offered for the fall, I will again have to crunch my numbers, because I have a 10 night ressie at Pop at the CM discount rate, so for another $50 a night I could get the free dining.

For me staying at a moderate in October the savings of the package was $50. I really didn't take into account the DDE savings so it was really to close to really make a difference. I would also have to get a 1 day ticket for everyone which I don't "need" even though I could use it later in our Dec trip when our AP's expire 2 days before we leave.

I am still on the fence about it and may have to sit down and do the math in more detail but as it stands the $50 isn't really that worth it right now.

It looks like the dining package is geared to those families on a tight budget who may never been available to afford to go because of expenses other than the hotel room. :flower:
I guess they figure if you're staying at a deluxe, you can afford to go anyway.

MUFFYCAT said:
It looks like the dining package is geared to those families on a tight budget who may never been available to afford to go because of expenses other than the hotel room. :flower:
I guess they figure if you're staying at a deluxe, you can afford to go anyway.

Well ... this is really a comparison between booking an AP rate and booking the YMP Code rate with free dining. The two offers are totally different. It turns out the tha AP room only discount is so large ($70-$75) that it negates much of the "savings" of booking the YMP package instead for a family of 2 or 3.

Personally, I would *still* get the package myself because our family really enjoys table service meals for the evening and counter service meals for lunch as well as popcorn and ice cream snacks. In fact, If the dining plan were available for an add-on to AP room only I would buy it in a heartbeat at $35 per adult and $10 per child. We spend at least $15 per adult per day on counter service and snacks that would be covered under the dining plan. That leaves $20 per adult for a table service meal. I don't know about you, but we spend way more that $40 for a table service meal! We will also have the DDE card to help pick up things that are not covered, like alcohol and kids meals that we pay for to save the credits for a double-credit meal.

I believe it is important that everyone analyze their own situation to decide what is the best deal for them. As an example, we have two trips in the works right now. The first trip the end of Nov./first of Dec. will be just DH & I. We will be splitting our stay between POFQ & Poly. We usually purchase AP's but this time have decided to go with 10 day premium tickets from Ticketmania. We have AAA discounts for each resort. If nothing better comes along at least we have some discount. The second trip is planned for the first of Feb. This time we will have our DD, SIL, and GD along. We plan to book two rooms at the POP along with the meal plan. When doing the math I discovered that we could feed four people for just a little bit more than using the aaa discount and feeding two people. So do the math and figure out what works best for you. Everyone's situation will be different. Also, we won't be opposed to "free" dining or a great code if Disney is so inclined! :genie:

Guys and gals I really would appreciate some input here.

My minnie and I (lol couldn't resist) have AP passes that we just activated in May. We plan to make several weekend trips over the next year and probably at least 1-2 of them being this summer.

My question is what is the best way to do the dining and hotel? I saw someone talking about 12.50 per person to add dining to the value resorts??? How does that work because that sounds great. I gather from what you said that the AP rate cannot be used with the dining package. If we go for 1-2 night increments and want to stay in the value resorts what is our best way to go?

Thanks in advance and God's blessings,

- J

HLAuburn said:
Interesting anaylsis. Thanks for sharing.
The way I was looking at it was that the $70/night AP discount and the free dining for 2 adults (about $70 per day) cancel each other out. So we would end up paying an extra $180 for an AP vs Hopper Pass for this trip, but hopefully would pay itself off in another trip.

Yes, that's my dilemna, we aren't planning on any trips any time within the year of the AP I'd be buying, so the extra cost of the AP can't be justified. Now, if I were to use the AP to book the maximum number of rooms, and have the entire family pay for their own food without a meal plan, then the questions are:
whether every room would spend $70/day on food every day, (if they spend less, then we've saved money; if they spend more, we've spent more money than with the free dining)
and whether any other cost savings can be achieved -such as buying discounted Ticketmania tickets.

Another option is comparing AAA with taken mania and buying her own food, versus the rack rate room and tickets with free dining...I think the free dining is the obvious winner there, unless we want to split our trip into different resorts (eg free dining package for five days, AAA discount and cash-basis dining for the other two, using the multi day ticket we bought as part of the package).
oncoming
Since this is our first trip since 1982, and we have never stayed on site, and thinking the meal plan is the easiest way for us to deal with this. I don't get my built-in excuse for a second WDW trip within the year, though (and it would be highly unlikely since we have travel plans for the other side of the continent within the year!).

Hmm, maybe I'll run the numbers myself for our partcicular trip dates (oct 4, so last day for free meals and value rack rate pricing).

Jsmply said:
Guys and gals I really would appreciate some input here.

My minnie and I (lol couldn't resist) have AP passes that we just activated in May. We plan to make several weekend trips over the next year and probably at least 1-2 of them being this summer.

My question is what is the best way to do the dining and hotel? I saw someone talking about 12.50 per person to add dining to the value resorts??? How does that work because that sounds great. I gather from what you said that the AP rate cannot be used with the dining package. If we go for 1-2 night increments and want to stay in the value resorts what is our best way to go?

Thanks in advance and God's blessings,

- J

J-
Not sure where the $12.50 came in (I think that was the difference between the free dining and the AP/pay for dining options). Without anyt other deals/discounts, you can add the meal plan for $35 per adult per day. Disney is offering free dining for certain dates this Fall with a package, but you would not be able to take advantage of AP rates, and of course, you don't need a package with your APs.
So, for 1-2 nights, you should probably book an AP rate at the resorts, and just pay for dining.
Hope this helps :)

Regular Season -- Aug 21-27 MYM with Free Dining Update!

It has come to my attention that there are even greater discounts on the MYM Free Dining Plan for those who are traveling on the first week in which the plan is available which is August 21 and August 27. It seems that the MYM Free dining plan is coming up at the Value Season rate, even though the first week is Regular Season. This means that the "cost" of the plan to AP holders is even less for those dates! For instance, if you're staying at a Value resort the AP rate for Regular Season is $74 per night ($99-25), but the Value Season Rack rate is only $77 per night. That's only $3 more per night for the dining plan! Wow!

The following calculations are easy for Value and Moderate resorts, but not so easy for Deluxe resorts. Each Deluxe resort has a different price for Regular and Value seasons. The difference seems to vary between $35 and $70 per night. For instance, Animal Kingdom Lodge Savannah View is $245 for the AP rate in Regular Season ($320-$75) and has rack rates of $320 in Regular Season and is $280 in Value Season. The MYM Free Dining Plan would be $280, only $35 more per night than the AP rate. At the Beach Club in a Water/Pool view the AP rate in Regular Season is $345 ($410-$75) and has rack rates of $410 in Regular Season and is $355 in Value Season. The MYM Free Dining Plan would be $355, only $10 more per night.

** Check out Mouse Savers for your deluxe resort to do your own calculations. I will choose a discount of $35 for the Season difference as that's the minimum.

http://www.mousesavers.com/roomrates2005.html#deluxe

Regular Season -- AP Discount - (Reg Season Rack - Val Season Rack)
August 21 - August 27
Value
$3 = $25 - ($99 - $77)
Moderate
$35 = $50 - ($149 - $134)
Deluxe
$40.00 = $75 - $35 ** See note above

Value Moderate Deluxe ** See note above
2 People
$1.50 $17.50 $20.00
3 People
$1.00 $11.66 $13.33
4 People
$0.75 $8.75 $10.00
5 People
n/a $7.00 $8.00

Jsmply said:

I don't think it will work out for you. The minium number of nights for the Free Dining Package is 3, so your 1-2 night trips are not elegible. I was the one that was talking about the $12.50 per night more. Please re-read the very first post and my post right before this one to see how I came up with that amount. If you have any more questions after re-reading it I'll be happy to help you :). Another problem with your plan to visit for a couple of short trips over the summer is that the YMP package with the free dining requires the purchase of a Magic Your Way park pass for everyone in your party. You can buy a single basic pass (again, see the very first post), but you will have to save those passes and use the later or try to upgrade them to an AP when yours comes up for renewal. In addition, I don't know if you can upgrade multiple passes to an AP or if you are restricted to only 1.

Thanks Robin and HLAuburn for the replies. So you cannot purchase a dining package without buying tickets the park as well? Beyond that it also has a minimium for 3 nights? I guess this kind of makes it a useless feature for us AP holders?

Is this only for the free dining upgrade promotion or is this for any dining package. Anotherwords if we take weekend trips (Friday and Saturday night or just Saturday night) can we simply pay $35 (each I'm assuming) on top of the hotel rate to get the dining package?

Thanks and sorry for the ignorance!

Jsmply said:
Thanks Robin and HLAuburn for the replies. So you cannot purchase a dining package without buying tickets the park as well? Beyond that it also has a minimium for 3 nights? I guess this kind of makes it a useless feature for us AP holders?

Is this only for the free dining upgrade promotion or is this for any dining package. Anotherwords if we take weekend trips (Friday and Saturday night or just Saturday night) can we simply pay $35 (each I'm assuming) on top of the hotel rate to get the dining package?

Thanks and sorry for the ignorance!

You're right - you have to add the dining option ($35 per person per day) on to a package (i.e. hotel and tickets). I imagine you could do a one night stay with one day tickets and add on the dining, but since you have APs, I don't see why you would want to do that.
Have you looked into the DDE card? It costs AP holders $50 and it gets you 20% off meals/drinks at many restaurants around Disney. It really pays off if you have a nice meal at a signature restaurant w/ drinks.
Since you have APs already, the dining option just doesn't really make sense. I'd stick to AP rates on rooms, and just pay for your food.

Jsmply said:
It's not useless for AP holders who go once or twice for a long trips (like us), but It's really not as good for AP holders (like you) who go for many short trips. It still *might* still be worth it to you if (1) You can make it for a 3 day trip, (2) You eat in the parks every day and (3) You like to eat at table service restaurants. How? Unlike packages in the past, you do not have to purchase a pass for your length of stay. You can purchase a 1 day basic non-parkhopping pass for each of you for $63.63 per adult and $51.12 per child. You can either save those passes for friends who visit, or try to use them in an upgrade/AP renewal at a later date. In your case, I would consider the cost of the passes into your calculations as if you would never use them and they are just part of the cost of the room. I did not include them in my calculations, but considered the passes a pre-payment for my AP renewal.

You must book a package to get the dining plan, free or not. You cannot add the dining plan, even if you want to pay for it, to a room-only reservation :(.

robinb said:
Regular Season -- Aug 21-27 MYM with Free Dining Update!

It has come to my attention that there are even greater discounts on the MYM Free Dining Plan for those who are traveling on the first week in which the plan is available which is August 21 and August 27. It seems that the MYM Free dining plan is coming up at the Value Season rate, even though the first week is Regular Season.

I just priced that week at POR and it still comes up at regular season, not value. The CM stated value season for values and moderates starts on the 28th. Please tell me how I can get the value rate! Thanks!

married2grumpy said:
I just priced that week at POR and it still comes up at regular season, not value. The CM stated value season for values and moderates starts on the 28th. Please tell me how I can get the value rate! Thanks!

I would try to call another CM, I guess.

This is my accounting for my 6 days at CSR (8/21-8/27) with 7 day expiry park hoppers for 2 adults and 2 children:

Total Pacakge Price: $1,770.00
2 Adult 7 Day PH: $475.00
2 Child 7 Day PH: $396.18
Total Passes: $871.18
Room Only with Tax: $898.82
Room with Tax per Day: $149.80
Room pre-tax: $134.96

Standard View Moderate is $134 per night Value Season and $149 per night Regular season. I used code YMP to book my package.

ETA: I just noticed the price of the room with tax is the same as the Regular Season rack rate. Did you forget to subtract the 11% hotel tax?

The first week of the promotion is value season for the deluxe hotels.

MYW Dining costs $35/ adult. Most people get far more than $35 worth of food. The AP Discount for the deluxe resorts is around $70/night. Even two adults come out better with the free dining.

DDE Dining is the wild card. Depending on how and where you eat DDE might give some people a better deal than the Dining Plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter