An August Family Adventure at Aulani

ScrappyRN

Mouseketeer
Even though I am not an official DVC member, I consider myself to be. How's that you ask? My parents have been DVC members since 2003, and most of my trips up until now have been using their DVC points! Only 3 of the last 13 resort rooms were paid out of pocket. I am a huge WDW fan. Since my DS was 3(he is now 12), he has been to WDW 14 times. My Dh is not so much a Disney fan, but is a huge Florida freshwater fishing fan. Because of my love for Disney and his love for fishing, we recently bought a vacation home in Florida! So even though I won't be staying on Disney property as much, I will get to go to WDW a lot more!

A little back story as to how we got to Aulani. About 2 years ago, my parents said they wanted to use their DVC points so that they could take my family and my sister's family to Aulani. This meant myself, DH,DS, DSis and DBIL. Unfortunately my nephew and his girlfriend would not be able to make this journey with us. You ask how could my parents take one grandchild and not another? My nephew is 18 years older than my son(so he is an adult), and he was not able to afford the airfare to Hawaii. We have never all been together on vacation as adults! I was thrilled for the opportunity to go to Hawaii, and started to research the cheapest way to get there. Now DH does not like to fly, and was not looking forward to 12 hours in the air! I basically gave him no choice, he was going to have to suck up the 12 hour flight!
We all agreed that the first week in August would work for everyone. At the 7 month mark, my Dad made ressies for 3 studios for Aug. 3-10. When I started looking for airfare, I got the best deal using our Amex points going Aug. 2-9, and my parents and sis got the best deal Aug. 3-12. So luckily my Dad was able to change the dates on the 3 rooms with no problem. My family did have to switch rooms after the 1st night.
So once the ressies were made, we decided that we did not have to spend every waking moment together while in Hawaii. We decided that we would do Pearl Harbor and a Luau together, and the rest of the time was on our own.

Itinerary

Fri. Aug 2- fly from Philadelphia to Phoenix, Phoenix to Honolulu and check in at Aulani

Sat. Aug. 3-
food shopping, Aulani beach day, Monkeypod for dinner

Sun. Aug. 4- Fishing on the Boom Boom

Mon. Aug 5- Hawaiian Fire Surf lessons, beach and pool fun

Tue. Aug. 6- Pearl Harbor tour booked through Aulani, Paradise Cove Luau

Wed. Aug. 7-Relaxing at Aulani

Thur. Aug. 8- Kayaking in Halewai, Waimea Falls, Tita's Shrimp and Date night with DH
Fri Aug. 9- Mahalo, Aulani, flight from Honolulu to Phoenix, Phoenix to Philly

As you can see, we decided this would be a relaxing vacation, we did not try to keep our days filled form morning to night. We really wanted to enjoy the resort and see a few things that Oahu had to offer.

Really looking forward to your trip report! I am glad to hear that your parents were able to book Aulani at the 7 month window. We are hoping to take DD17 to Aulani this summer as a high school graduation present. We own 4 DVC contracts at WDW resorts so points should not be a problem, just the 7 month window! We will be flying from Boston and the original plan was to stop over in San Francisco for a few days to break up the flight.

Were you able to get flights entirely with Amex points? We have an Hawaiian airlines Visa but it takes FORever to accumulate miles.

Really looking forward to your trip report! I am glad to hear that your parents were able to book Aulani at the 7 month window. We are hoping to take DD17 to Aulani this summer as a high school graduation present. We own 4 DVC contracts at WDW resorts so points should not be a problem, just the 7 month window! We will be flying from Boston and the original plan was to stop over in San Francisco for a few days to break up the flight.

Were you able to get flights entirely with Amex points? We have an Hawaiian airlines Visa but it takes FORever to accumulate miles.

Welcome! What a great graduation present! I also looked into stopping in SF, but it would have been about $1500 more at the time that I booked our flight. I got our flights for $700 RT on US Air. I did use AMEX points to pay for all but about $150, but we use our AMEX for everything from gas, groceries, Target, and large purchases like furniture. We save our points to use for something big, like this. Just keep looking, I think I booked our flight at the end of January for our trip. My parents actually volunteered to get off their flight from Honolulu to Phoenix on USAir and got put on a Hawaiian Airlines flight to Phoenix. They said that Hawaiian Airlines was top notch compared to USAir.

I have to admit, for all the time that I had to plan for our trip, I really didn't do a lot of research.. I read a few Aulani trip reports and googled Oahu a few times. We knew we wanted this to be a relaxing vacation.
We left our home in NJ on Friday Aug. 2 around 7 AM. After the 45 minute drive, we arrived at PHL and headed to the USAirways security line. The line was not long to our surprise and we were through in no time. I grabbed us some breakfast and sandwiches for the plane at Au bon Pain. We boarded on time and took off right about 1015A as scheduled. We were on our way to PHX for an 1hour and 10 minute layover.

The flight was uneventful from PHL to PHX. Once we got off the plane, we found DS a spot to sit and charge his Ipod while DH and I got a pizza and beverages. DS sat where we could see him from our table. So he ate his pizza while engrossed in some you tube videos, while DH and I enjoyed our pizza and adult beverages. A quick restroom stop was next and before we knew it we were boarding our flight to HNL!!! Again, this was an uneventful flight. We did watch the movie 42, which was excellent. DH and I had an adult beverage as well. He was our view of Oahu as we approached.

We made it, and 12 hours on a plane is REALLY long!! Once we deboarded, we headed to baggage and then to National to pick up our car.

Up next, arrival at Aulani!

We arrived in Honolulu about 530PM Honolulu time, which was 1130PM at home in NJ. We were exhausted. I had warned DH about the Honolulu traffic, but of course he didn't believe me until he saw it. He was aggravated that he had to sit in traffic on vacation! We finally saw the beautiful resort at about 715PM. I had already checked in online, so our leis were waiting upon arrival. I got a flower lei, DH and DS got the beaded leis. DS also got a tiki necklace that he loved! You also receive a Mickey Aulani pin on arrival, which I loved because I have a Disney pin display in my craft room at home.

Balcony shot after arrival as DH parked the car.

We were exhausted when we arrived as well as starving, so we decided to put our things in our room, take a quick look around the resort and grab a bite to eat at Ama Ama. We weren't unpacking because we needed to switch rooms the next day. Our first night was supposed to be an Ocean view, and the next 6 were supposed to be Deluxe Gardens View.

Our room was 1485. This is a view from the hall by the elevators.

Ama Ama was OK, but expensive. I had the recommended fish, DH had some sort of steak and I cant remember what DS had. I was so tired and hungry that I didn't take photos. After our meal, we headed to bed. By this time it was about 10PM.

Thanks for posting. I will be following along with your trip report!! We are from PA and planning our Aulani & Disney Land trip for next Nov. Keeping my fingers crossed for 7month out booking. We also will be leaving out of Philly. DS will be 12 next week.
Your pics are great so far! Can't wait to hear about the Fire Surf Lessons!

Carla

Thanks for posting. I will be following along with your trip report!! We are from PA and planning our Aulani & Disney Land trip for next Nov. Keeping my fingers crossed for 7month out booking. We also will be leaving out of Philly. DS will be 12 next week.
Your pics are great so far! Can't wait to hear about the Fire Surf Lessons!

Carla

Hi Carla. Thanks for reading. I will say Hawaiian Fire was awesome!!! Tami

Reading along! We're heading to Aulani in the spring and my older child is in 5th grade so kind of the same age as your son.

We woke up bright and early on Sat. as we adjusted to the time change! DH and I woke up around 4 AM Hawaii time. We stayed in bed till about 6 AM. I read and played a few games on my phone, while DH checked email and such. I head downstairs around 7AM to buy 2 refillable mugs and get breakfast. The mugs are a must if you plan on spending time at the resort. Between the 3 of us, we filled them twice a day with coffee and at least twice a day with the fountain drinks. I think they were $18.95. It is also nice to take home and use for a travel mug.
For breakfast I got DH cereal and milk, while DH and I split a cinnamon roll, apple Danish, and yogurt parfait.
After showering and eating. We called bell services to get our bags since we had to re-check in to our new Garden View room. We headed to Safeway for some food shopping as recommended by some other Disers. We bought cereal, milk, yogurt, waffles, PB and J, English muffins, bread, fruit, case of water, butter, syrup, pretzels, quick mac and cheese, beer and wine. I got the Safeway card they offered at check out for the discount. As you can see we got mostly breakfast items to eat in the room and a few things to use for lunches if needed. We did save quite a bit, and what we didn't eat we gave to the rest of the family since they were staying longer than us. When we got back to the resort, Aulani has refrigeration storage for guest as well. This was great because our room wasn't ready until about 2PM, and it was only about 1030 AM when we got back. Safeway is maybe a 10 minute drive from the resort, but we later found we could have gotten everything at the ABC market for a little more right across the street.
We had brought our suits with us because we knew we would have to wait for our room. There is a nice locker room and lounge by the pool in the Ewa Tower. They have lockers as well. So we put our bathing suits on, things in a locker and headed to get our wrist bands and towels. You need to get a wrist band everyday at the towel station to use the pool and beach. DH left his bands on until we got home to NJ. This is when we saw what I had read about in Podsnel's report, the pool is CROWDED and NO CHAIRS and it was before lunch. So we headed to the beach and found chairs with no problem.

They have boogie boards to use for no charge if they are available. We were able to get one, and DS practiced his surfing skills! The water was great, the sun was shining, what a great 1st experience in the Pacific Ocean! We got lunch at little Ophihis. DH and I got sandwiches and DS only got Cheetos, he wanted to wait to eat PB and J in the room. Again, I was bad about taking food shots, Sorry! They do serve drinks at this quick service, so DH got a beer and DS and I used the refillable mugs. There are 2 refillable mug stations, one by the pool and 1 at One Paddle, Two Paddle quick service. I got the text around 2 that our room was ready. So we headed to the locker room to get our things and get another set of leis and pin and headed to the 8th floor to our room. We were now in 873. This was our view

Looked the same to us as the Ocean View. It was in the same hall, just further down. We could see where they do the Starlight Hui, but also the ocean!
DS ate and we headed back to the beach for some more water and relaxation. About 5P, we got ready to head to Monkeypod across the street for dinner. It's a very short walk.

I had the fish tacos, DH got the fish and chips and DS got the quesadilla. Food was great, margarita was great, live singer was great. They only have local beers here, so DH had to try something recommended that would be similar to a Miller lite. We did not get dessert. The time change was hitting us, and we were tired. We headed back to the room to unpack and unwind.

I did get a text that my parents and Sister got delayed in PHX, so they would be arriving later than expected. So we did not wait up for them. I told my DS we'd catch up with them after a fishing trip the next day.

We woke up bright and early on Sat. as we adjusted to the time change! DH and I woke up around 4 AM Hawaii time. We stayed in bed till about 6 AM. I read and played a few games on my phone, while DH checked email and such. I head downstairs around 7AM to buy 2 refillable mugs and get breakfast. The mugs are a must if you plan on spending time at the resort. Between the 3 of us, we filled them twice a day with coffee and at least twice a day with the fountain drinks. I think they were $18.95. It is also nice to take home and use for a travel mug.
For breakfast I got DH cereal and milk, while DH and I split a cinnamon roll, apple Danish, and yogurt parfait.
After showering and eating. We called bell services to get our bags since we had to re-check in to our new Garden View room. We headed to Safeway for some food shopping as recommended by some other Disers. We bought cereal, milk, yogurt, waffles, PB and J, English muffins, bread, fruit, case of water, butter, syrup, pretzels, quick mac and cheese, beer and wine. I got the Safeway card they offered at check out for the discount. As you can see we got mostly breakfast items to eat in the room and a few things to use for lunches if needed. We did save quite a bit, and what we didn't eat we gave to the rest of the family since they were staying longer than us. When we got back to the resort, Aulani has refrigeration storage for guest as well. This was great because our room wasn't ready until about 2PM, and it was only about 1030 AM when we got back. Safeway is maybe a 10 minute drive from the resort, but we later found we could have gotten everything at the ABC market for a little more right across the street.
We had brought our suits with us because we knew we would have to wait for our room. There is a nice locker room and lounge by the pool in the Ewa Tower. They have lockers as well. So we put our bathing suits on, things in a locker and headed to get our wrist bands and towels. You need to get a wrist band everyday at the towel station to use the pool and beach. DH left his bands on until we got home to NJ. This is when we saw what I had read about in Podsnel's report, the pool is CROWDED and NO CHAIRS and it was before lunch. So we headed to the beach and found chairs with no problem.
http://s986.photobucket.com/user/ScrappyRN/media/IMG_2328.jpg.html

http://s986.photobucket.com/user/ScrappyRN/media/IMG_2336.jpg.html
http://s986.photobucket.com/user/ScrappyRN/media/IMG_2349.jpg.html

They have boogie boards to use for no charge if they are available. We were able to get one, and DS practiced his surfing skills! The water was great, the sun was shining, what a great 1st experience in the Pacific Ocean! We got lunch at little Ophihis. DH and I got sandwiches and DS only got Cheetos, he wanted to wait to eat PB and J in the room. Again, I was bad about taking food shots, Sorry! They do serve drinks at this quick service, so DH got a beer and DS and I used the refillable mugs. There are 2 refillable mug stations, one by the pool and 1 at One Paddle, Two Paddle quick service. I got the text around 2 that our room was ready. So we headed to the locker room to get our things and get another set of leis and pin and headed to the 8th floor to our room. We were now in 873. This was our view
http://s986.photobucket.com/user/ScrappyRN/media/IMG_2360.jpg.html
Looked the same to us as the Ocean View. It was in the same hall, just further down. We could see where they do the Starlight Hui, but also the ocean!
DS ate and we headed back to the beach for some more water and relaxation. About 5P, we got ready to head to Monkeypod across the street for dinner. It's a very short walk.
http://s986.photobucket.com/user/ScrappyRN/media/IMG_2354.jpg.html
I had the fish tacos, DH got the fish and chips and DS got the quesadilla. Food was great, margarita was great, live singer was great. They only have local beers here, so DH had to try something recommended that would be similar to a Miller lite. We did not get dessert. The time change was hitting us, and we were tired. We headed back to the room to unpack and unwind.
http://s986.photobucket.com/user/ScrappyRN/media/IMG_2356.jpg.html
http://s986.photobucket.com/user/ScrappyRN/media/IMG_2358.jpg.html

I did get a text that my parents and Sister got delayed in PHX, so they would be arriving later than expected. So we did not wait up for them. I told my DS we'd catch up with them after a fishing trip the next day.

Really enjoying your report , we have booked aulani for next April and find ing these trip reports so helpful .

So Day 3 started out early. We had to be at the Marina to meet Tony from the Boom Boom at 545A. I booked the Boom Boom because it wasn't far from the resort and it was on the West side of the Island, we didn't have to drive into Honolulu. We got up around 4AM, showered and ate some cereal in the room. We made coffee in the room because you couldn't get coffee downstairs until 7A. I have to say I was really excited at the prospect of catching a big fish and to have DS catch a big fish with my DH. DS and I have never fished in the ocean before. DS has only freshwater fished with his Dad, and I have only freshwater and saltwater fished a bay. DH is a huge fisherman, freshwater and saltwater, so I was happy we could experience this together. I had previously gotten sea sick on a gambling cruise in the Gulf of Mexico and when we cruised the Western Carribean I had to take sea sick medication one night. I took a Bonine before we left the resort. DS did fine on the cruise, he can read in the car and rides everything at Disney, so I didn't give him any pills. I did buy the sea sick wristbands and brought them just in case.
We got to the Waianae Boat Harbor right at 545A. We boarded and were ready to go.

I sat on a cooler in the back of the boat, DS wanted to go inside and eat his snack. I told DH I thought we should all stay outside, but he let DS go inside. The deckhand(forgot his name) set up the lures and lines and explained what to do if we hooked a fish. The lures were huge.

After about an hour and no fish in sight, the deckhand brings DS outside and sits him where the air could hit his face. It was getting rough and he was feeling sick. DH put the wristbands on DS, but it was too late. Now I feel like a horrible mother, I took meds to prevent getting sick, I should have given them to him. DH has been sea sick before and told DS not to worry, just let it out (if you know what I mean). So we kept on going further and further from land and still no fish and a boy who has lost his cereal. I knew that he would be fine once we hit land again, but now it's been about 2 hours and no fish. As Capt. Tony turned the boat to go horizontal to land, the boat was a rockin and rollin and my stomach wasn't the greatest. I'm sure anxiety was part of it, I was worried about DS and worried how was I going to reel a fish in when DH was looking after DS, because I was afraid if I moved from my spot I was going to lose my cereal. So after another 1/2 hour of worry, and the Capt. assuring us that we should be on the fish, I gave it 15 more minutes and told DH to get them to take us back. I couldn't look at my little guy like this anymore. We only had about another hour left on the charter and to me by this time no fish was going to make my guilt go away if we didn't turn around. This is why I was feeling horrible

Once we hit the dock an hour later, DS felt fine, I felt fine but no fish. Let's just say we had an expensive boat ride in the Pacific! DH says, "That's why it's called fishing and not catching!"

When we got to the car I started to cry. My guilt and relief hit me. I apologized to the boys because we didn't catch anything. DH was very sweet and told me he didn't care about catching a fish, he just wanted DS and I to experience what he loves about being out on a boat, he doesn't always catch fish when he goes. DH also reassured DS that his Dad has gotten seasick before and that he was proud that he hung in there as long as he did. So in reality, we only missed about an hour of fishing, and who knows if we would have caught anything.
We headed back to the resort to eat and meet up with the rest of our Family.

So once we got back to the resort after, "Fishing", I texted my DSis to see what they were up to. It was probably around 1030 AM. They were at the beach. We ate PB and J in the room for lunch. DS and I went to the beach to see the family, while DH took a nap. I ended up leaving DS with my family, filled my drink cup and headed back for a nap as well. The time change definitely was hitting DH and I. We slept till about 2PM and headed to the beach.

My Dad tried calling Monkeypod to get a ressie for all of us to eat, but the only thing available for a large group was after 8PM and that was going to be too late for us. So after a few hours in the sun, we headed to the room to shower and DH, DS and I decided to walk over to Monkeypod for dinner. We had about a 20 minute wait. DSis and her husband also ate at Monkeypod and my parents ate at the resort.

After dinner we headed back to the room. DH and I enjoyed a bottle of Riesling on the balcony, and DS watched TV. We were all beat from our day on the high seas and in the sun.

Great updates! We are heading to Aulani for Christmastime and are having to switch rooms after the first night too. I was finding your description of moving rooms helpful. So you just packed up and then called bell services and they came and picked it all up to store until your next room was ready? Sounds pretty easy!

We also have booked a surf lesson with Hawaiian Fire so I am looking forward to hearing about your experience!

Great updates! We are heading to Aulani for Christmastime and are having to switch rooms after the first night too. I was finding your description of moving rooms helpful. So you just packed up and then called bell services and they came and picked it all up to store until your next room was ready? Sounds pretty easy!

We also have booked a surf lesson with Hawaiian Fire so I am looking forward to hearing about your experience!

The room change was easy, just call bell services to hold your bags and any refridgerated food as well. The worst part was waiting for the text in the afternoon as we relaxed on the beach!
Hawaiian Fire was AWESOME!!!!!!

Monday was surfing day for DS. I booked him for the early class on Monday about 6 weeks before our trip. He wanted to do this alone, so DH, myself and my parents went to watch. After breakfast in the room, we headed to the beach to meet the Hawaiian Fire guys. They will pick you up at the resort, but they charge per person, and we did have a car. The directions were easy to follow. It was about 20 minutes from the resort. I will say the sand road was a little treacherous as you approached the beach.
When we arrived, the van was there and I checked DS in. He was a little nervous and excited at the same time. Once everyone arrived, you got to borrow water shoes and rash guards. Ds already had a rash guard on.

Then they sat the class down for some instructions on how to handle the board, how to approach an incoming wave, how to pop up and what to do if a surfer is heading toward you. Sean did this instruction.

While this was going on I tried to take some artistic shots.

That is my parents with Diamond Head in the background.

Next they had everyone practice on land, popping up.

The other Sean, stayed with the 3 younger ones. I felt very safe for my son. There were 6 instructors in the water at all times. They do photos before heading to the water and of the surfing. I didn't purchase these, because I brought my camera. But it is nice if your entire family is surfing, that you will get some photos of the experience.

Next, the group headed into the water for about an hour and 15 minutes of surfing!! They had to paddle about 100 yards out to catch the waves. DH and I thought DS would last maybe 3 rides and be so tired that he'd want to come in. Well to our surprise, he stayed out the entire time. After about 4 wipeouts, he got up and had a good ride. The rides after that were hit or miss, sometimes he had a long ride, some were short and some were wipeouts from the start! We were so proud of him. He did AWESOME! He was so happy that he had a few good rides.

We said to goodbye to the group and headed back to Aulani. We stopped at the ABC Market to get a sandwich for lunch. The sandwiches are huge and reasonable. We also picked up more sunscreen. The store gives you a free gift if you spend $100. I forgot to mention that on Sat. we went to ABC to get hats to wear on our fishing trip. So we were getting toward the $100. Until next post. Thanks for reading.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter