Amtrak train info w/pics!All Aboard-Choo-choo!UPDATED

Hi Pepe of Ohio,

Well~~ we're all set. I ended up renting a car:scared1: I have never rented one before and I'm just a little worried about all the traffic. My DD(23) unfortunately can't help with the driving.

We'll miss our AP's and have only a couple of days left on some old tickets. So not too many days at the theme parks. Hoping the weather will be warm to just lounge by the pool.

2 more weeks and we'll be on the train in our cozy roomette:yay:

BTW, do you know what people give for a tip to the attendants? I'm thinking maybe $10 a person. Also do they frown upon bringing your meals to your room? Just curious. The dining car looks very nice.

I appreciate all your help and advice.
Liz:)

Yes, you can have your meals in your room, but personally I enjoy eating in the dining car since you get to meet some really interesting people. I have had some really fascinating conversations with the people we sat with at meals.

Hi Everyone,:wave2:

In just about 5 days my DD and I will be on the train headed for our Happiest Place.party:

We are in a roomette and i hear that water, coffee, juice are included in the fare as as well as your meals.
So~~~ I'm wondering about soda~~ in particular gingerale. Would soda be included also:confused3

Thanks for your help
P.S. We are getting a car service and it says gratuity is included. Do I still tip above that? I would hate to leave a bad taste as they are picking us back up for the return trip to the train
TIA

Have fun on your trip and i'd love to hear about you train journey and trip when you get back. I've still got several months to go but I've never taken the train and i'd love to hear your experiences on it.

In just about 5 days my DD and I will be on the train headed for our Happiest Place.party:

We are in a roomette and i hear that water, coffee, juice are included in the fare as as well as your meals.
So~~~ I'm wondering about soda~~ in particular gingerale. Would soda be included also:confused3

Thanks for your help
P.S. We are getting a car service and it says gratuity is included. Do I still tip above that? I would hate to leave a bad taste as they are picking us back up for the return trip to the train
TIA

I am so jealous. I just saw pictures of the roomettes in a catalog and they look really nice. (We are traveling in coach seating) Having your own room come night time will definitely help with trying to sleep. I saw a video on you tube last week of a drunk in coach seating on the silver service train. Wow I hope that doesn't happen on the trip down to Disney.

Have a great trip and enjoy your roomette!

Thanks for your help
TIA

Water, juice and coffee are available all day in your sleeping car for free. During meals non-alcoholic beverages are included as part of your meal. If you want soda at other times you would have to purchase it in the lounge.

Dan

Water, juice and coffee are available all day in your sleeping car for free. During meals non-alcoholic beverages are included as part of your meal. If you want soda at other times you would have to purchase it in the lounge.

Ok thanks quess I'll have to carry some onboard.

Have fun on your trip and i'd love to hear about you train journey and trip when you get back. I've still got several months to go but I've never taken the train and i'd love to hear your experiences on it.

Hi,
I'll definitely come back and let you how it all went.
4 more sleeps and we're on or waya:cool1:

I am so jealous. I just saw pictures of the roomettes in a catalog and they look really nice. (We are traveling in coach seating) Having your own room come night time will definitely help with trying to sleep. I saw a video on you tube last week of a drunk in coach seating on the silver service train. Wow I hope that doesn't happen on the trip down to Disney.

Have a great trip and enjoy your roomette!

Thank You very much:goodvibes
Just a few more months till it will be your turn.

I'm sure you'll be fine in coach.
When i went(30 years ago) they didn't have all the technology they have today. I don't remember the seats reclining with the foot rest and the outlets to hook up ipads and such. Also lights out @ 10PM. Just remember to bring earplugs, a light blanket and pillow.
It was just hard for me because I'm a very very light sleeper.

Please come back and let us know how your train ride went.

Hi Pepe of Ohio,

We'll miss our AP's and have only a couple of days left on some old tickets. So not too many days at the theme parks. Hoping the weather will be warm to just lounge by the pool.

I always thought you could add days to tickets that have not expired, no matter when they were purchased? When we added it was only a dozen dollars or less.
Worth looking into.

BTW, do you know what people give for a tip to the attendants? I'm thinking maybe $10 a person. Also do they frown upon bringing your meals to your room? Just curious. The dining car looks very nice.

We tipped 20.00 when we got there and then tipped for each meal they brought us. We at in the dining car on the way there and HATED it- they seat you in a small booth with other people (we were only 2) so it was very awkward having to eat with total strangers. At the first lunch the couple we ate with had about 5 alcoholic drinks by the time we just finished lunch and were pretty toasted. My daughter was not happy. On the way home we had out attendant bring us every meal and we loved eating in our roomette and not having to have forced conversations with strangers while trying to eat.

I always thought you could add days to tickets that have not expired, no matter when they were purchased? When we added it was only a dozen dollars or less.
Worth looking into.

Hi,

We have 1 day with water parks on an old paper ticket from 2003 and 2 days on another plastic ticket from around 2010. So they both have been used and i thought once they were used you couldn't add to days to them:confused3.

I'll definitely ask when i go to have them reissued with the new ones. That would be great if i could add days. Plus I'd like both tickets combined onto 1 ticket:confused:
It's been awhile since the last few years we've had AP's.

So I'm kinda lost about all the changes. maybe we'll get a little pixiedust:

I even tried to link them so i could make FP+ selections~~ no go~~ even though i had the correct id's formats from the back of the tickets.

3 more sleeps :dance3:

Hello -
Just wanted to jump on here and give a mini-review of our first Amtrak experience. We took the Amtrak to Chicago, not Disney World, but I used this thread to get a lot of useful tips....thank you!

We boarded the train in Sandusky Ohio. This is a very very small station, with no one manning it. This made me nervous, especially since I didn't know what to expect. I'm used to an airport, where you check in, someone is there to announce boarding and keep you posted of delays etc. However, I didn't need to worry. We just waited in our car and used the Amtrak App to keep us posted an an estimated arrival. Five minutes before it was supposed to arrive we got out of the car and the train pulled up literally 20 feet away from where we were parked. They didn't even ask for our ticket. We just gave them our name, and they told us where to sit. We didn't even get to our seats before the train was pulling away. That was fast!! The train was stopped for less than 2 minutes.
We had seats in coach. The seats were comfortable and provided much more space than an airplane. It was early around 5am, so my kids (ages 6 and 8) were able to take a little nap. We brought blankets and pillows. Then when the sun came up we went to the dinning car to have breakfast. The kids thought it was so cool to get to eat on the train. The food wasn't the greatest, and the coffee was bad. But it was more about the experience and a great way to pass the time. The rest of the time we read, colored, and played with our electronics....before you knew it, we were in Chicago! The trip was supposed to take 5.5 hours, but it was around 6 hours with a small delay....so not too bad!
On the way home, we boarded the train at Chicago's Union Station. This train station is huge and the boarding experience was more like an airport where they checked your tickets and let us board first because we had kids under 10. We boarded around 9:30pm and traveled through the night. The kids were comfortable and able to sleep most of the time. My husband and I could not really sleep. We had ear phones but I could still hear people snoring and coughing. People getting on and off at various stops, etc. Also, I was a little worried we would miss our stop and not be ready because we had the kids and all our stuff. I knew they didn't stop long, so I wanted to be ready. Of course, I didn't need to worry because they came around and gave us a 1/2 hour warning and again at 5 minutes. They also counted as we got off, so I don't think they would of let us miss it. Being this was our first time, I just didn't know that ahead of time. Going home we had delays and were almost 2 hours late. Needless to say we were exhausted when we got off.
Overall we had a great experience. We would take the Amtrak again to Chicago! We loved not having to deal with a car in the big city and it was a relaxing way to travel. The kids thought it was exciting! Between gas and parking cost downtown Chicago the train ticket paid for itself. However, this was a fairly short distance. I'm not sure I'd go on a longer trip without getting a sleeper car, especially if we were traveling overnight again. I just couldn't get comfortable enough to sleep with others sitting around me. And it seems the cost for a sleeper car is just as much or more than a plane ticket.

Hello - Just wanted to jump on here and give a mini-review of our first Amtrak experience. We took the Amtrak to Chicago, not Disney World, but I used this thread to get a lot of useful tips....thank you! We boarded the train in Sandusky Ohio. This is a very very small station, with no one manning it. This made me nervous, especially since I didn't know what to expect. I'm used to an airport, where you check in, someone is there to announce boarding and keep you posted of delays etc. However, I didn't need to worry. We just waited in our car and used the Amtrak App to keep us posted an an estimated arrival. Five minutes before it was supposed to arrive we got out of the car and the train pulled up literally 20 feet away from where we were parked. They didn't even ask for our ticket. We just gave them our name, and they told us where to sit. We didn't even get to our seats before the train was pulling away. That was fast!! The train was stopped for less than 2 minutes. We had seats in coach. The seats were comfortable and provided much more space than an airplane. It was early around 5am, so my kids (ages 6 and 8) were able to take a little nap. We brought blankets and pillows. Then when the sun came up we went to the dinning car to have breakfast. The kids thought it was so cool to get to eat on the train. The food wasn't the greatest, and the coffee was bad. But it was more about the experience and a great way to pass the time. The rest of the time we read, colored, and played with our electronics....before you knew it, we were in Chicago! The trip was supposed to take 5.5 hours, but it was around 6 hours with a small delay....so not too bad! On the way home, we boarded the train at Chicago's Union Station. This train station is huge and the boarding experience was more like an airport where they checked your tickets and let us board first because we had kids under 10. We boarded around 9:30pm and traveled through the night. The kids were comfortable and able to sleep most of the time. My husband and I could not really sleep. We had ear phones but I could still hear people snoring and coughing. People getting on and off at various stops, etc. Also, I was a little worried we would miss our stop and not be ready because we had the kids and all our stuff. I knew they didn't stop long, so I wanted to be ready. Of course, I didn't need to worry because they came around and gave us a 1/2 hour warning and again at 5 minutes. They also counted as we got off, so I don't think they would of let us miss it. Being this was our first time, I just didn't know that ahead of time. Going home we had delays and were almost 2 hours late. Needless to say we were exhausted when we got off. Overall we had a great experience. We would take the Amtrak again to Chicago! We loved not having to deal with a car in the big city and it was a relaxing way to travel. The kids thought it was exciting! Between gas and parking cost downtown Chicago the train ticket paid for itself. However, this was a fairly short distance. I'm not sure I'd go on a longer trip without getting a sleeper car, especially if we were traveling overnight again. I just couldn't get comfortable enough to sleep with others sitting around me. And it seems the cost for a sleeper car is just as much or more than a plane ticket.

Glad you enjoyed your first Amtrak trip...we're in northeast Ohio and board Amtrak in Alliance for WDW....

Alliance to DC, layover ( the bad part, 8 hrs ) then back on board to Kissimmee...sometimes the wife and I get a sleeper ( roomette ) for the DC to Kissimmee leg, we never pre-book but ask on board us any are available, and usually get one about 1/2 price...they are very small, claustrophobic for me but kind of ok, meals are included in the cost...

I think I prefer coach, a lot more space and room and we pack sandwiches, snacks and drinks with us... It's only a day and some trip...we've done 15 + trips via Amtrak... But we're back to driving the last 5 trips... 38 hour Amtrak ( plus delays) and getting into WDW after 2 pm....versus car, 16 hours and getting into WDW 6 am like gaining an extra day....

Hello I am thinking of taking my first trip down on a train and wanted to know about the size of the seats in coach. I am almost 6'5 and when I fly Ialways but two seats because of my size,a big guys in other words, do I need two seats on the train or would one do? Thanks in advance for your help.also if anyone has pictures of the interior of the trains in coach would love to see them as well.

The seats are a bit bigger than the average first class airplane seat, with a bit more leg room and they recline like a la-z-boy recline, including footrest. So unless you're built like a sumo wrestler, I think you'll be fine.

Hello I am thinking of taking my first trip down on a train and wanted to know about the size of the seats in coach. I am almost 6'5 and when I fly Ialways but two seats because of my size,a big guys in other words, do I need two seats on the train or would one do? Thanks in advance for your help.also if anyone has pictures of the interior of the trains in coach would love to see them as well.

I booked our first trip for amtrack from PENN to Kissimmee for this June. I had the same concerns about coach seating.

If you go to you tube and type in Amtrack coach seating in the search bar, a list of videos will pop up. The video that shows the best view of an individual seat and how much room there is will be the first one on the list, "David shows off Amtrack seating". You will probably like this video best because, the guy in the clip is very tall and will give you a true depiction of how comforatable the seats can be for someone who is tall.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

I just booked our Amtrak reservation from NYC to Orlando.:cool1:
Once we are in Olando, how long does it take to get our bags, grab a cab and drive to AKL?

For those that have traveled in coach, how did you feel after the long ride? I am trying to plan out our first day and I am undecided between going to HS or just hitting the pool. The train is supposed to arrive at 10:17am so we have plenty of time to hit the parks, but will my back be up to it after sitting in coach all night?

I just booked our Amtrak reservation from NYC to Orlando.:cool1:
Once we are in Olando, how long does it take to get our bags, grab a cab and drive to AKL?

For those that have traveled in coach, how did you feel after the long ride? I am trying to plan out our first day and I am undecided between going to HS or just hitting the pool. The train is supposed to arrive at 10:17am so we have plenty of time to hit the parks, but will my back be up to it after sitting in coach all night?

If I remember correctly it will take 40 - 50 minutes to get your bags, grab a cab and drive to AKL. I have never traveled coach so I can't tell you how you will feel.

If I remember correctly it will take 40 - 50 minutes to get your bags, grab a cab and drive to AKL. I have never traveled coach so I can't tell you how you will feel.
It's a good poke down the road and depends on traffic....we get off in Kissimmee, closest to WDW...we did get off once in Orlando and the issue of waiting for your luggage out of the baggage car takes quite awhile.. They load it on a flat car and then the attendant calls names and then has to verify your claim stub....lot of guests, long time then getting a cab...good hour at least.. Train is never on time... Figure 1 hour late at least or more...we travel coach from DC, if you move around on the train you won't be stiff... Being the train runs late, you have time for breakfast in the dining car or grab coffee and Danish from the club car...we normally hang at the resort pool arrival day..not cause we're tired or stiff... arriving that late in the day, temps are high, crowds big...rather check out resort ..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter