Amtrak train info w/pics!All Aboard-Choo-choo!UPDATED

mama-years ago I used Mears BUT this last trip I rented a car.Using a town car service to bring you to and fro will cost you at least half of what a whole week of a rental car will cost you.That's what my experience was anyway:confused3

I jut checked the prices and time from Dal to Orlando.
68 hour trip one way. Its about 20 hours by car.
Guess no train for us

from Dallas to Orlando takes over 60 hrs????Seems odd since we travel from Vermont/upstate NY area and it takes approx 24 hrs. Are you sure you entered info correctly??:confused3

I just checked their site and see that they have you connect to 3 trains????Crazy to go from Dallas to Chic. and then DC!!!!!!!!!Crazy!

Just starting to read your train adventure - can't wait to get on with it but had to comment. It is my belief that everyday there is a reference to The Wizard of Oz if you are paying attention. YOU made my day - 2 references! :-)

I jut checked the prices and time from Dal to Orlando.
68 hour trip one way. Its about 20 hours by car.
Guess no train for us

That's because the Sunset Limited isn't currently operating east of New Orleans, else there would be only one change of trains, in San Antonio.

Right now, you would have to go to Chicago, D.C., and then Florida (3 trains), or San Antonio-New Orleans-Charlotte-Raleigh-Orlando (5 trains!). There is something to be said for obsessive-compulsive train riding, but we really need the New Orleans to Florida segment restored instead.

lisa-upnorth - Really enjoyed your train report. We are taking the auto train from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL on April 16/17. Can't wait! Have taken the Amtrak Downeaster between Portland, ME and Boston several times and love the train.

I just re-read this thread and I must admit I am super excited.:cool1:

This will be our first trip by train to Orlando. :goodvibes We are going down for April break when most of New England is on break, so the airfare was outrageous! It was over $2000 for the 4 of us, compared to under $700 for the train. (We did not book the sleeper car.)

We had a few options for our April trip.
1. Don't go which would be a bummer since this is our Anniversary celebration.
2. Drive down - we would have to rent a car since both of our vehicles are small and not comfortable for long trips, I also don't like driving, so it would be all on my husband. Additionally, my boys are 11 and 13 and are getting quite tall - our last 2 hour trip to NH was painful for my DS13 since his legs were cramped.
3. Take the train. We all win! Great price, don't have to drive, plenty of space for my son to stretch out.

Wish us luck!

I do have a question:
I thought I read that the regular seating had outlets every seat...did I read that correctly? I want to make sure we can charge the laptops and cell phones. Thanks.

As for the delays-yes, it has happened to me. The worst was about 6 hours late and that was 13 years ago.You are sleeping through most of the time the train is stopped so you don't realize until you wake up and find out. That I would say is a worst case situation and not as common as some lead you to believe.To see stats for yourself, do what I do and check out their report on the latest train times at http://www.amtrakdelays.com
The week before I left every train I checked was running on time or within a 1/2 hr. We arrived on time to the minute!! ...

I'd say that times are fairly reliable in the East Coast corridor, but out here in the midwest the delays can be much worse that that, and the schedule alone is punishing. From here in STL, the shortest route to Kissimmee takes nearly 53 hours without delays (You have to go through Chicago AND DC.) Last time I took the train to Chicago there was a 7-hour delay (in summer, and the A/C didn't work while the train wasn't moving. Miserable doesn't describe it.)

I love trains, but I just don't have the vacation time or the money to spend $260 per ticket for transport that takes a minimum of 3 days each way. I just can't justify it when I can be in Orlando in 4 hours for half that money.

I agree that 3 days is a long time.I guess I am lucky that there is such a direct route from New england to disney;)
as for the outlets-I do believe we had one near every spot.We like the front seats near the door that have the 4 seats together-2 and 2 facing each other and more leg room!Head to the front of the car when you enter and maybe they will be empty for you to enjoy!

my last coach trip to Orlando had 2 outlets at every seat. Enjoy! I'm headed down by train on the Silvers in May. We're trying a sleeper with our Amtrak points on this trip.

I just read and enjoyed your report. We travel Amtrak every time and it is nice to find someone else who enjoys it :) It really is sooo easy and such a relaxing travel, and the quality time with the family is priceless! We travel from Mass, so it takes us about 25 hours. We've only had a 6 hour delay once. We are leaving April 15th to take the train to Jacksonville from Mass and I can't wait!

I just booked our first train trip. :cool1: 1496.80 :scared1: Dh really does not want to fly & after reading your report decided to give the train a try. Leaving from Philly @ 12:30pm & arrive in Orlando @ 10:20am. We booked 2 roomettes & the kids are super excited to ride on an train. I think we may be more excited about the train than Disney.:rotfl:

Mallow-you will LOVE it!:woohoo: We also get as excited about the train as the disney trip!!Be sure to take some train pics for me to see when you return!!!

I will definitely take lots of pics. Since the train leaves at 12:30 I was worried we wouldn't be able to have lunch service but called today & they said lunch will still be served. The agent stated breakfast & lunch are open seating & only dinner is a reserved time. Has this been your experience? Also have you visited the lounge car & is it adults only? DS has aked for the new DSi for his b-day :scared1: but I guess it will be perfect for the train ride.

Im taking my 2nd trip on the Silvers next month. I'll be going in a sleeper car for the first time.

Breakfast and lunch are first come, first served. I road coach last time and had no issues getting into the diner for breakfast...just walked in. I didn't do lunch since I brought something with me when I boarded since I didn't realize the diner would be open for lunch. Dinner you need reservations...if you are going coach, you are not guaranteed a dinner reservation. Sleeper passengers get priority for that since its included in their fare. They came through shortly after I boarded in NJ..maybe after the Philly stop to take dinner reservations in coach. I had no problem getting one going down but they fill up fast. Coming home I had issues getting a reservation and the dining car people told me to come at the final seating to see if I could get in to get served..and they did find me a spot. THey did offer some people take away. You can also get sandwichs and mini pizzas , hot dogs, and burgers from the cafe car if you dont want to spring for a full dining car meal. They also serve the usual snacks and drinks.

The lounge is just a bunch of booths to sit at and play cards, watch the scenery, use your laptop, or get a snack. Not an adult area at all. The amtrak staff are often in there too...alot of the kids last time were asking them train questions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter