Amsterdam Port

RedSox68

Retired 2021 -- All the Time to Travel Now!
Has anyone cruised from Amsterdam and spent a few days? Any recommendations for hotels, getting around and sites to see? Any and all information and tips are most appreciated. Thanks.

waves hi, are you on the the 5 night Western Europe from Dover September 13 2020? You should join our cruise meets thread :)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...-europe-from-dover-13-september-2020.3760176/
Amsterdam is one of the ports. You should start with the DCL port excursion page for Amsterdam. Even if you don't plan on doing DCL excursions, it will give you an idea on what to do DIY.

Most people do
  • Anne Franks House
  • Canal Tour
  • Heinaken Beer Fctory
  • Van Gogh Museum
My plan for the port day so far is
  1. Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
  2. Lunch at Hard Rock Cafe

waves hi, are you on the the 5 night Western Europe from Dover September 13 2020? You should join our cruise meets thread :)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...-europe-from-dover-13-september-2020.3760176/
Amsterdam is one of the ports. You should start with the DCL port excursion page for Amsterdam. Even if you don't plan on doing DCL excursions, it will give you an idea on what to do DIY.

Most people do
  • Anne Franks House
  • Canal Tour
  • Heinaken Beer Fctory
  • Van Gogh Museum
My plan for the port day so far is
  1. Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
  2. Lunch at Hard Rock Cafe

Thanks for the suggestions. No, we are not cruising on DCL but on HAL in 2021 -- and are starting in Amsterdam. Since I know nothing about that area, I was trying to find things to do for 3-4 days while there. Anne Frank's house is on the top of my list though, but never thought of a canal tour or the museum. Thanks, every little bit helps our planning. And the fact they have a hop on hop off bus is awesome. I love those for sightseeing.

Personally I'd spent it somewhere else then Amsterdam. The train network is really good! The port is close to the main train station and there are a lot of lovely places in The Netherlands where you aren't run over by pot smoking tourists (see, not a fan ;))

I haven't cruised a big liner from Amsterdam, just a canal boat and bike tour.
  • Rijksmuseum is very good.
  • Van Gogh Museum is excellent.
  • A walk through the Red Light District is something many do. You will find most of the most annoying tourists who are there for pot and sex in the District.
  • It's not a bad train ride to Leiden, Den Haag or Delft, all of which are very interesting in their own right.
  • We enjoyed the organ concert at the Oude Kerk, as well as at the Concertgebouw.
I've stayed in a variety of lodging. There are many charming B&Bs in canal houses with excellent access to transport, walking the canals, and brown cafes. I've stayed on a canal boat in the Princengracht, super fun story. Work put me up at the NH Hotel in Dam Square for a while.

For a real Amsterdam dining experience, try to get a reservation for a Rijsttafel, which is an Indonesian eatery that is multi-course. Stop in a brown cafe for beer and food. Since you're actually staying in Amsterdam, you have more opportunity to just stop and sit.

Personally I'd spent it somewhere else then Amsterdam. The train network is really good! The port is close to the main train station and there are a lot of lovely places in The Netherlands where you aren't run over by pot smoking tourists (see, not a fan ;))

Too funny -- we had a choice between sailing out of Copenhagen or Amsterdam. We settled on Amsterdam for 2 reasons: my husband wants to see War sites, and I wanted to see Anne Frank's house. The rep said there was more to do in and around Amsterdam than Copenhagen.

I haven't cruised a big liner from Amsterdam, just a canal boat and bike tour.
  • Rijksmuseum is very good.
  • Van Gogh Museum is excellent.
  • A walk through the Red Light District is something many do. You will find most of the most annoying tourists who are there for pot and sex in the District.
  • It's not a bad train ride to Leiden, Den Haag or Delft, all of which are very interesting in their own right.
  • We enjoyed the organ concert at the Oude Kerk, as well as at the Concertgebouw.
I've stayed in a variety of lodging. There are many charming B&Bs in canal houses with excellent access to transport, walking the canals, and brown cafes. I've stayed on a canal boat in the Princengracht, super fun story. Work put me up at the NH Hotel in Dam Square for a while.

For a real Amsterdam dining experience, try to get a reservation for a Rijsttafel, which is an Indonesian eatery that is multi-course. Stop in a brown cafe for beer and food. Since you're actually staying in Amsterdam, you have more opportunity to just stop and sit.

Thanks!

Too funny -- we had a choice between sailing out of Copenhagen or Amsterdam. We settled on Amsterdam for 2 reasons: my husband wants to see War sites, and I wanted to see Anne Frank's house. The rep said there was more to do in and around Amsterdam than Copenhagen.
What war sites are you expecting to see in Amsterdam? Because I can't think of anything beside Anne Frank's house (which is really impressive and I do recommend!).

Bummer, just looked up Rijsttafel, and it doesn't come up on TripAdvisor.

Bummer, just looked up Rijsttafel, and it doesn't come up on TripAdvisor.
Go to any Chinese restaurant and they'll have it, it mean literally rice table. (Yes, they serve Indonesian food in the Dutch Chinese restaurants)

What war sites are you expecting to see in Amsterdam? Because I can't think of anything beside Anne Frank's house (which is really impressive and I do recommend!).

In and around -- one of them being Arnhem. He's doing his diligent research, but since he's trying to do as much as he can of WWI and WWII (doing a driving tour of battlefields in Belgium in the spring) while he can still travel, I left the choice of cities up to him. He liked Amsterdam, so that's what we settled on. I'm good with anything new I can see, and the Netherlands are a new country for me

In and around -- one of them being Arnhem. He's doing his diligent research, but since he's trying to do as much as he can of WWI and WWII (doing a driving tour of battlefields in Belgium in the spring) while he can still travel, I left the choice of cities up to him. He liked Amsterdam, so that's what we settled on. I'm good with anything new I can see, and the Netherlands are a new country for me
I love how Arnhem is now close to Amsterdam ;) It's literally at the other side of the (yes, I know, tiny) country. But that does widen the options for stuff to do! I'd rent a car, stay either near Arnhem or de Hoge Veluwe (beautiful national park) for a few nights. Not sure in the type of war sites he's interested in, but there is also kamp Westerbork there which is an impressive visit. Then move to the Randstad (most major cities are close to each other, so they named the area, Amsterdam is in the north of it, but I'd stay in Leiden or Delft), stay there for a few days, visit Kinderdijk, Zaanse Schans, the pottery in Delft, return the car at Schiphol and take the train to Amsterdam (stay there one night for Anne Frank's huis and a canal tour).
Rijsttafel isn't typical for Amsterdam, but for the entire country, so you could get that anywhere

ETA: And depending on the time of year, the Keukenhof is also easy to visit from anywhere in the Randstad when you have a car

You absolutely do not want a car INSIDE Amsterdam. I cannot stress this enough.

Almost everything is walkable, or tram+easy walk. Parking is hard, expensive, and generally won't put you any closer to major sites like the AFH.

If you go to Delft, visit the Old Church there and go up the gallery.

We biked the country out of Amsterdam. Things really aren't that far apart. We did the Kuekenhof via Leiden. I think Den Haag and the Kinderdjik and Madurodam are really cool if you have the time. Madurodam has a WW2 connection if that helps matters any.

You absolutely do not want a car INSIDE Amsterdam. I cannot stress this enough.

Almost everything is walkable, or tram+easy walk. Parking is hard, expensive, and generally won't put you any closer to major sites like the AFH.

If you go to Delft, visit the Old Church there and go up the gallery.

We biked the country out of Amsterdam. Things really aren't that far apart. We did the Kuekenhof via Leiden. I think Den Haag and the Kinderdjik and Madurodam are really cool if you have the time. Madurodam has a WW2 connection if that helps matters any.
That's why I said to return it at Schiphol and then take the train. Don't take the car into Amsterdam, but if the plan is to go to Arnhem, stay (waaaay) outside of Amsterdam and make sure you have a car (all the things you mentioned are in the Randstad, Arnhem is not)

Fellow Dutchie here! Indeed, don't hire a car to get into Amsterdam, that's really a waste of your time, the city center isn't made for a lot of traffic, and the amount of pedestrians & bicycles ... you have to know what you are doing (And in the Netherlands in case of an accident, it's always the car driver's fault, unless you can prove otherwise)

And I've said it before, if you come to the Netherlands, get out of Amsterdam. Arnhem is a beautiful area, great choice. If you want to see the old buildings and the canals, look at going to Utrecht or Leiden, less touristy. Other interesting cities that are 'close' by (to US standards, far away by Dutch standards ;-) ) have a look at Groningen or Maastricht, which are about 2 or 3 hours by train. A bit shorter if you rent a car to go out of the city center.

From port it's about a 40 minutes walk to the Anne Frank House, but you will be walking through the city center and you can walk by some highlights.

If WWII -history is important to you, there is a museum where the concentration camp in Vught was. I haven't been there myself (I've got 2 family connection in this camp and it's still too fresh), but what I have heard from family members who did go, it's impressive. To visit this site, I would recommend a car as it's not easy to get there by public transportation https://www.nmkampvught.nl/english/

You do need to book tickets in advance for the Anne Frank museum. Here is the link,
https://www.annefrank.org/en/museum/tickets/

Thanks much

I love how Arnhem is now close to Amsterdam ;) It's literally at the other side of the (yes, I know, tiny) country.

We have literally just started planning since it's over a year away. I never said Arnhem was close to Amsterdam. When I said in and around, I meant it to read in Amsterdam and around the country, but your suggestions are much appreciated. :) Thank you.

What side of the road do they drive on in that country?

Fellow Dutchie here! Indeed, don't hire a car to get into Amsterdam, that's really a waste of your time, the city center isn't made for a lot of traffic, and the amount of pedestrians & bicycles ... you have to know what you are doing (And in the Netherlands in case of an accident, it's always the car driver's fault, unless you can prove otherwise)

And I've said it before, if you come to the Netherlands, get out of Amsterdam. Arnhem is a beautiful area, great choice. If you want to see the old buildings and the canals, look at going to Utrecht or Leiden, less touristy. Other interesting cities that are 'close' by (to US standards, far away by Dutch standards ;-) ) have a look at Groningen or Maastricht, which are about 2 or 3 hours by train. A bit shorter if you rent a car to go out of the city center.

From port it's about a 40 minutes walk to the Anne Frank House, but you will be walking through the city center and you can walk by some highlights.

If WWII -history is important to you, there is a museum where the concentration camp in Vught was. I haven't been there myself (I've got 2 family connection in this camp and it's still too fresh), but what I have heard from family members who did go, it's impressive. To visit this site, I would recommend a car as it's not easy to get there by public transportation https://www.nmkampvught.nl/english/

Awesome info. Thanks much

We have literally just started planning since it's over a year away. I never said Arnhem was close to Amsterdam. When I said in and around, I meant it to read in Amsterdam and around the country, but your suggestions are much appreciated. :) Thank you.

What side of the road do they drive on in that country?
I read it as around Amsterdam, thanks for the clarification, around the country I second Karin's suggestion for Groningen or Maastricht, love both!

We drive on the right side :) And we have the best and clear road signs anywhere

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter