Americans in (Disneyland) Paris

Love all the beautiful pictures of Paris!

Will there be a wedding planning TR or have you got a PJ? X

I have a link to our wedding PJ in my signature :goodvibes. I’ve been slacking lately since I feel like I can’t do much more until we have our site visit in 9 days. :rolleyes1 Lol I’m also going to start a trip report for the whole trip we’re taking.

We hopped back on the Metro and made our way to another classic Parisian structure, Notre Dame! We got off the Metro and were right in front of a cathedral. At first, we assumed it was THE cathedral only to see it didn’t look like anything I’d seen in pictures of Notre Dame. After looking and realizing it was not Notre Dame, we moved on :rolleyes1. Lol

Walking down the main street toward the cathedral we passed a ton of souvenir shops and picked up a few things for our family back home. We also passed this awesomely named restaurant and continued on our way.

DSCF6951.jpg

We finally came to the cathedral and I took so many pictures. What an absolutely gorgeous place. Neither Cory or I are religious, but with a building like this, religion has nothing to do with being able to appreciate it.

DSCF6954.jpg

DSCF6955.jpg

DSCF6957.jpg

DSCF6965.jpg

While we were lucky with the line to the Louve earlier in the day, we were not with the line into Notre Dame. I was really disappointed, but it was sooo long. I looked at Cory and I could practically read his mind saying, Please don’t ask to wait to go inside. So I said we didn’t have to. I’m so glad we got to even see it from outside because it is just magnificent.

If you look closely you can see us in the front.
DSCF6961.jpg

Another one of my favorites, especially because it’s showing off my swanky new bling.
DSCF6963.jpg

We left Notre Dame behind and found a Haagen-Dazs where we stopped for a cone. Yummy.
DSCF6966.jpg

We walked toward our next to-do and that was Pont-Neuf Bridge and Pont-Arts Bridge. Neuf is the oldest bridge I believe and Arts is the one from Sex and the City. Yes, I am a huge fan of Sex and the City (the show, not necessarily the movies).
DSCF6973.jpg

Pont-Arts is also a bridge known for all of the locks that are attached to it. Couples buy a lock, attach it and throw the key into the river below. I tried to convince Cory to do it, but being the more sensible one, he thought it was ridiculous to spend $8 on a lock. Oh well. It was still awesome to see. Below are pictures of both bridges.

DSCF6968.jpg

DSCF6978.jpg

DSCF6982.jpg

I loved walking along the river and looking at all of the things that were being sold or displayed along it. We bought an old Batman comic at one of them for my younger cousin who is taking French. It was really amazing to just walk along that area. It was quite romantic :lovestruc. However, we were getting tired and hungry for dinner so we took the Metro back to our hotel and went to a restaurant right outside the Metro on the way to our hotel.

It was a nice little place, though I think the waiter pulled one over on us by saying the tip wasn’t included, though I read in France there is no tipping :confused3. Oh well. We didn’t get so lucky at this restaurant and we had to try and order off a French menu. Luckily we were able to translate some things that were similar to English words and we ended up with yummy things. We again had a delicious bottle of wine. I swear it’s better in France:love:.

DSCF6991.jpg

DSCF6992.jpg

Exhausted from all of our walking, we returned to the hotel and turned in for the night. We would be switching hotels in the morning and would be closer to the Eiffel Tower. Tomorrows agenda was Versailles which I can’t even put into words how excited I was to see.

Fanatastic photos and a a lovely descriptive trip report, really makes me feel how excited you were to be there!
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the TR. We just booked tickets to Paris over thanksgiving. Aer Lingus and FinnAir had tickets for under $700 from JFK which is unheard of anymore. We picked FinnAir; worse flight times but we're OneWorld status members with AA, so miles trump an hour or two longer layover!

I lived in Paris in 2005 when I was studying abroad with my University, but I am glad my husband gets to see it...along with more of Paris as he's never been for longer than 2 days. TR like this will definitely help us plan our day! I was lucky to get out to DLP on one of our free days with a friend, but I don't remember much about it for some reason. It was 71 (in Jan!) and was a beautiful day, but I forget most of the details.

I just found your trip report. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this!!

I really enjoyed reading about DLR. It's someplace I'd really like to get to. What days of the week did you go to the parks? It really didn't seem too crowded from the pictures. And a 5 minute wait for Space Mountain was great! Not so much the hour wait for the coaster ride. Is May generally a less crowded time to tour there do you know?

I'm looking forward to reading more about Paris also. What time did you get to the Louve? I've always read of long lines for that too. What a treat to only wait 5 minutes!

I'm also going to have to check out your wedding journal. My oldest daughter just got engaged in December while we were at WDW. Her boyfriend (now fiancé) flew out and surprised her 2 days before the end of our trip. It was exciting! How nice that you were featured in the Disney Blog. I would have voted for you had I discovered your trip report sooner!

Thanks again for taking the time to write the trip report! I can't imagine the hours you spent planning such a long trip to different cities!

Sheri

Just read through your trip report- great writing, love the pics! Sounds like it was a fantastic vacation, can't wait to hear about Versailles (my third most anticipated sight after the Eiffel Tower and DLP!)

Hi, everyone! :wave2:

I can't believe how many of you are reading and enjoying my report. Thank you! :flower3:

I'm sorry it has taken me a bit to respond. I'm working on my Masters in Fine Arts in creative writing which means I'm in the middle of writing a novel. :scared1: So things have been a little crazy trying to meet this month's deadline.

Zinderella: Thanks for the kind words. I'm really glad you can feel my excitement. Even just writing this, I get so excited about our trip.

Airb330: Under $700 is unheard of. That's very lucky! I was excited to get ours just under $1000. I'm so happy that I could help in your planning. It's nerve wracking to plan such a big oversea trip. We were lucky with nice weather in DLP too. Makes touring around the parks much better. I hope you have a great time!

Sammo: It really wasn't that crowded. Except for Crush's Coaster, we really didn't find much of a wait. We were there on a Wednesday, Thursday, and early morning Friday before we left for Paris. I really don't know about May being a quieter time, but I assume it is as most school's, at least here, aren't on summer break yet. I think we got to the Louve very close to opening on a Saturday. I was really shocked it wasn't more crowded.
Congrats to your daughter and your family! That is so exciting! Will she be getting married in WDW? We leave in 5 days for our site visit and I can't wait. :cool1: It took so much time to plan this trip, I don't even know how I would measure it! lol I planned for over a year as I booked all of the hotels, cars, planes, and every other detail myself. But, it was fun and totally worth it!

Riniel: Thanks! I am obsessed with taking pictures. :rolleyes1 Hopefully I'll get the update done today that has to do with Versailles.

Thanks again everyone! I hope to update later today if I can get this chapter done. :cutie:

We woke up early to check in to our next, and last, hotel of the vacation. We took the Metro to a nearby station and had a really tough time finding the hotel. I knew it was right on the opposite side of the road of the raised Metro platform, but we walked for close to probably 30 mins. totally confused.

Finally, we found the hotel. We dropped off our bags and went back toward the Metro. Along the way, we actually stopped in an outdoor market that was under the Metro.

DSCF6999.jpg

DSCF7002.jpg

DSCF7003.jpg

I love this.
DSCF7004.jpg

It was really awesome and exactly the thing we hoped to come across during our trip. It was crowded, but really cool. Cory got some fresh fruit and I got a bag of fresh cookies for the Metro ride to our next stop, Versailles!

DSCF7005.jpg

The Metro ride wasn’t too bad. It went by pretty quick. We got off the train and just followed everyone else toward Versailles. We passed this building on the way. I have no clue what it is, but it was pretty cool.

DSCF7006.jpg

We approached Versailles which also had that fine white sand which was blinding. This time we thankfully learned and brought our sunglasses. Cool metal structures as we approached Versailles.

DSCF7008.jpg

From the very front before we got in.

DSCF7009.jpg

Wow! The lines were LONG!! Reading Cory’s journal, here’s what he wrote about the lines, “The reason that the line was so short at the Louve is because the line at Versailles is two days long.” Ha. He was so right. The line for the tickets was on the left side as we approached and the line to actually get behind the gates and into the palace was on the right.

We decided to try and beat the system by me going to buy the tickets and Cory to wait in the line to get in. They were so enormous we figured it would be perfect. The area was awful to wait so long in. The sun was so hot and the stones that we waited on we white and again reflecting the hot light. Another quote from Cory, “ The line doubles across a massive field of paving stones meant to bake the people standing on them.

This photo is from where I was standing looking to the line Cory was in.

DSCF7011.jpg

Top of one of the buildings.

DSCF7013.jpg

After finally getting the tickets, I went to find Cory in the line only to find him out of line. What the hell? He said he had made it to the front and because he didn’t see me coming, got out and we’d have to wait again. I hated it when plans didn’t work.

DSCF7015.jpg

We just wanted inside these golden gates!

DSCF7016.jpg

Finally we were let in. Yay!

DSCF7018.jpg

I’m going to have to pause there. We leave in a few days for WDW and I have to get a few things done before then. Thanks again for reading! :hug:

Wow - who knew the queue would be so long! How long did you queue for in total?

Hope you have an amazing time in WDW!

Hi HappyPanda. I believe we waited around 1.5 hours. It was absurd, but I had to see Versailles and luckily I have an amazing fiance. :lovestruc

This post will be mostly photos as there isn't much to say as you go through the palace.

Cory enjoyed walking through the palace the most and found the paintings and sculptures the most impressive when it came to the entirety of Versailles. We got the ticket where we were allowed into everything including the Hamlet which was another must for me.

The size alone of the palace was amazing. It was hard to believe how long ago this place was built.

DSCF7019.jpg

DSCF7021.jpg

DSCF7025.jpg

At first, even with the lines to get in, it didn't seem to crowded.
DSCF7028.jpg

DSCF7031.jpg

DSCF7034.jpg

DSCF7038.jpg

The man himself.
DSCF7039.jpg

DSCF7042.jpg

The ceilings were magnificent!
DSCF7043.jpg

DSCF7044.jpg

DSCF7049.jpg

DSCF7051.jpg

The walls were really detailed.
DSCF7054.jpg

DSCF7053.jpg

Some thrones.
DSCF7058.jpg

Another gorgeous ceiling.
DSCF7062.jpg

We took a little breather by a nice open window and looked over some of the grounds.
DSCF7065.jpg

And the room I was most looking forward to, The Hall of Mirrors. Just amazing.
DSCF7073.jpg

DSCF7074.jpg

It was amazing to just imagine all of the people that have looked in those mirrors as I was doing. To think that Marie Antoinette may have looked where I was, was so jaw dropping to think of.
DSCF7079.jpg

DSCF7081.jpg

And one more of the enormous mirrors.
DSCF7083.jpg

We continued into more bedrooms.

DSCF7088.jpg

DSCF7093.jpg

A set-up of a banquet table.
DSCF7097.jpg

This room, I believe it was used as a ballroom, was another amazing room. To think someone lived here and could just lazily walk through this area any time they wanted was very cool.

DSCF7098.jpg

DSCF7101.jpg

Some more inside rooms.

DSCF7103.jpg

DSCF7106.jpg

DSCF7108.jpg

We left the palace and went outside to explore more of the grounds. It was really hot out, but it was worth it; to me. lol Cory wrote in his journal he was not impressed with the grounds or the Hamlet. :confused3 Oh, well.

DSCF7113.jpg

DSCF7116.jpg

Looking toward the grounds from the palace. So pretty.
DSCF7118.jpg

I :lovestruc this picture.
DSCF7120.jpg

We went down toward the smaller palace on the grounds.

DSCF7124.jpg

DSCF7126.jpg

DSCF7125.jpg

DSCF7128.jpg

DSCF7129.jpg

Next: We make our way toward the lovely little Hamlet.

I’m just now getting back to your trip report. After making a post on your report late at night, I decided to wait and read your wedding journal the next morning. The next morning my computer went for a swim. It took to water about like a cat. It didn’t turn out well!

We were leaving for a trip later that week and just got back yesterday. I had to go through and find your report again. I had saved a copy of the link on my computer but the info was lost. Is there a way to mark what you’re reading here on the DIS to retrieve it easier (or from another computer)?

My daughter is not getting married at Disney. At least she got engaged there! We were thinking it would be better to be married at home since all of our side of the family and all of their friends live here. Besides, we thought a Disney World wedding would be very costly, but it may not have been any more. I'll explain on your wedding journal.

You must be back from your site visit!! How exciting!! I’ll go read up on your wedding after I get updated here. I have a younger daughter also, and she may choose the Disney option. Besides, I just love all things Disney!

Thanks again for taking the time to write this trip report. It sounds like you have so much going on in your life right now! It will be fun for you to have a journal about your trip. Thank you for sharing it with us!!
I’m off to read your update.

Sheri

I just read your post about Versailles and your pictures are amazing!

Love the quotes from Cory – he’s funny. And patient.

I don’t know if I have mentioned it, but y’all are such a cute couple!

Sorry about the trouble finding your new hotel. Was it hard to find your way around places? That is something I worry about for our family in Europe. We get lost here in the US! We have no sense of direction! I know my husband would rather go around on our own as y’all did instead of with a tour group, and I do too, but I just wonder how lost we’d get.

Thanks for the update!

Sheri

Thank you for hanging in there! We are back from Disney World :sad1: and I am finally settled in.

Before I start my next update:

jessrose18: I'm glad you enjoy the photos. We had such an amazing time in Disney.

mommykds: Thank you! It means a lot for you to post that.

Sammo: It is crazy how much weddings cost. For us, to get married in NJ it isn't much of a difference from Disney.

If you click Private Messages under your username at the top, then scroll down and look for My Subscriptions on your left, you will find all the threads you have commented on. :) We def. have a lot going on in our lives right now. I feel like I'm in three different places at once! lol

I figured including Cory's quotes would give another side to the trip. I'm glad you enjoy him. lol I sometimes find him annoying :rolleyes1 Ha! Thanks for your comment about us, that's so sweet. :hug:

Beside this hotel, and the driving in Ireland, we did really well with directions. I am a commando planner and had everything planned out to a T so I guess that helped. The best thing to do when you're lost is go into a hotel, where the will usually speak English, and ask them. That's how we ultimately found the hotel. It just takes a lot of time and planning and googlemapping to get an idea of the area and where you are going. :)

We walked to the Hamlet and spotted the Temple of Love. It seems so small and maybe basic, but I really loved it. I could imagine sitting under it on a hot day with a good book and Cory by my side. Cory, however, was more interested in the frogs that were hopping around in the little creek.

DSCF7144.jpg

The willows were perfect in this area. So romantic.

DSCF7149.jpg

DSCF7154.jpg

Marie’s Hamlet wasn’t too far from here. It was just beautifully quaint and I wanted so bad to see it during her time. Though I have to say it has been kept very, very well. I wanted to go inside and upstairs in these cute little buildings. I imagined Marie Antoinette feeling uncomfortable and lonely in the large palace and retreating to this little village where she had only what she needed.

These buildings sit on a small lake which you can see in the last picture.

DSCF7155.jpg

DSCF7159.jpg

We sat under the shade of this building for a bit to rest our feet.

DSCF7160.jpg

DSCF7161.jpg

DSCF7165.jpg

DSCF7178.jpg

Another picture I love.
DSCF7181.jpg

We spent just enough time here to see everything. We were hot and tired and ready to get back to the hotel and then dinner.

On a shaded, thankfully, path back to the palace.

DSCF7185.jpg

DSCF7194.jpg

Goodbye beautiful Versailles!

DSCF7196.jpg

We took the Metro back to our stop and asked our hotel for a restaurant suggestion. They sent us a few blocks down to a large restaurant. It was really pretty inside with the whole middle open.

DSCF7197.jpg

The food was yummy again and so was the wine.

DSCF7200.jpg

They even gave us a glass of champagne to celebrate our engagement which was sweet. The service, though, was SLOW. It took forever just to get some more water. I think we were both just getting tired. We were nearing the end of our 21 day journey and I told myself to just relax and soak everything in that I could.
We returned to the hotel and got in bed early. We were planning on getting breakfast from a bakery I found in a travel magazine.

We woke up bright and early to walk to a bakery that I found in Budget Travel Magazine (One of my favorite magazines ever!). Our Metro pass had worn out and the walk was quite long, but this bakery looked too good to pass up.

DSCF7208.jpg

They had macaroons which I had to try while in Paris so off we went. As we approached the bakery, it was very chic, and modern, and we couldn’t wait to get inside. The only problem was that it was closed. Yes, closed! Who knew bakeries closed! We were so bummed not only because we were really looking forward to it, but because we had walked so far.

We turned back around and stopped in a different little bakery. We decided to take the pastries and eat them outside our next stop, Les Invalides, the tomb of Napoleon. It also had a war museum which is right up Cory’s alley. He loves anything that had to do with war, specifically WWII so this was something we had to do.

DSCF7210.jpg

We found a shady bench and enjoyed our pastries. You'll see I'm wearing one of my souvenir's from DLP.

DSCF7213.jpg

We started with Napoleon’s tomb.
[
IMG]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z39/swolfsandle/Paris/DSCF7219.jpg[/IMG]

There aren’t words to describe the majesty of this place. It is breathtaking. If you go to Paris, you must see this place. Wow.

DSCF7221.jpg

His tomb from above.

DSCF7222.jpg

DSCF7225.jpg

DSCF7228.jpg

DSCF7231.jpg

Another tomb.

DSCF7234.jpg

There are these huge statues on the back of the altar leading down onto the ground level of his tomb.

DSCF7239.jpg

DSCF7242.jpg

DSCF7244.jpg

DSCF7246.jpg

Each woman surrounding the tomb held a Laurel. He was depicted as a Caesar type which was really interesting.

DSCF7252.jpg

DSCF7257.jpg

His tomb.

DSCF7253.jpg

Cory by the tomb.

DSCF7258.jpg

Here is what Cory had to say about the tomb: “Napoleon’s tomb was magnificent. The fact that it was built for a little maniac only took away from it a little bit.”

Cory was really in awe and said it was one of the coolest things he’s ever seen. It was weird being so close to a tomb and thinking that Napoleon was in there.

We then went into the military museum section and Cory had a field day. We were in there FOREVER! He read each and every sign as I made my way from bench to bench. This isn’t to say I didn’t enjoy it, but I couldn’t stand and read so many things about the military for that long.

DSCF7261.jpg

DSCF7263.jpg

DSCF7266.jpg

I love these few I snuck of him deep in thought and wonder. The second one’s a bit creepy since it looks as if Cory is in the case. It was fitting he was wearing his G.I. Joe t-shirt that day.

DSCF7272.jpg

DSCF7275.jpg

DSCF7280.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter