Ama Ama, worth it?

GoofyforDisnee

Earning My Ears
Hello all! Family has booked our 2 bedroom ocean view villa at Aulani. We are SUPER excited! I have heard mixed views on AMA AMA. I would like to hear everyone's opinion on this.

Hello all! Family has booked our 2 bedroom ocean view villa at Aulani. We are SUPER excited! I have heard mixed views on AMA AMA. I would like to hear everyone's opinion on this.

In 2 trips we have done them for lunch twice and dinner once. In our upcoming trip we have them booked for lunch but not dinner so that'll tell you something:)

For lunch the first time we did a shared appetizer of prawns (good) and the plate lunch (also good) and dessert.

For lunch the 2nd time we did the ahi nori apeizer (excellent) and the fish tacos (excellent) also with desserts (always good).

For dinner we shared the sampler (eh) and I had the snapper while my husband had the fresh catch (both good but nothing we couldn't get elsewhere on the island a lot cheaper). Desserts were good.

To summarize, we found the lunch to to light and flavorful and worth the cost. Dinner seemed heavy to us which made us feel kinda gross.

We love monkey pod across the way by the way- ate there a couple times and was excellent. We have done rumfire, dukes and Alan wongs (amazing) in Waikiki. In north shore we have done haleiwa joes, luibeunos, grass skirt grill (the best), big wave shrimp truck, teds, both shaved ice places & spagettetini.

Let me know if you have any questions!

In 2 trips we have done them for lunch twice and dinner once. In our upcoming trip we have them booked for lunch but not dinner so that'll tell you something:)

For lunch the first time we did a shared appetizer of prawns (good) and the plate lunch (also good) and dessert.

For lunch the 2nd time we did the ahi nori apeizer (excellent) and the fish tacos (excellent) also with desserts (always good).

For dinner we shared the sampler (eh) and I had the snapper while my husband had the fresh catch (both good but nothing we couldn't get elsewhere on the island a lot cheaper). Desserts were good.

To summarize, we found the lunch to to light and flavorful and worth the cost. Dinner seemed heavy to us which made us feel kinda gross.

We love monkey pod across the way by the way- ate there a couple times and was excellent. We have done rumfire, dukes and Alan wongs (amazing) in Waikiki. In north shore we have done haleiwa joes, luibeunos, grass skirt grill (the best), big wave shrimp truck, teds, both shaved ice places & spagettetini.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks!! I really appreciate all of the other food suggestions for the rest of the island!

Love 'Ama 'Ama for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I agree that I've read mixed reviews, but in over a dozen meals there my wife and I have never been disappointed.

We went for breakfast a week ago and it was fabulous. Have not tried lunch or dinner yet though. View is amazing.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We really love the Ama Ama Lunch Menu, I have thought about doing dinner there but the menu offerings and pricing for the lunch always have sounded better to us.

We like to book a late lunch (around 2:30- 3pm) and then count it as our dinner... the lunch menu includes a great "Plate Lunch Special" option that changes every day and is not on their dinner menu it is a favorite of my DH and sons. I love the fish tacos and the sweet potato fries are super yummy!!

Their dessert menu is also really tasty so we have been tempted to do a later evening reservation for just dessert, but have never actually managed to find the time or the appetites after dinner to do it.

We had lunch at Ama Ama in October, and it was eh. FIL and I each had the plate lunch, which that day consisted of prawns and some really over-cooked pork strips. I wouldn't order it again. DS12 had the kalua pork on rice buns (he got all of the sauces on the side) and still raves about it. DH really enjoyed the fish special. FIL was the only one to order dessert, and I don't remember what it was. We would probably give it another try in the future.

Honestly, we really enjoyed the food at the Ulu Cafe. Their kalua pork flatbread and island hamburger steak were excellent. DS loved their kids' fish special. And the muffins... yum!

We also had a great meal at Monkeypod Kitchen. It's an easy walk from Aulani.

AMA AMA was a fave for DW and I and a pleasant surprise based on the reviews we read here. We ahd a great table overlooking the sunset and the food was better than we expected. DW had the lamb and I had the pork. Both very good but the highlight for me was the potatoe puree.

When I stayed at Aulani in 2012 for eight nights I ate breakfast and dinner at Ama Ama just about every day and really enjoyed the food.

For breakfast I had the burrito(huge and couldn't finish it), French toast(tasty, but was hungry soon after), and omelet with potatoes(had most mornings).

For dinner, I had the cobb salad(almost a meal in itself), seafood platter, and salad appetizers. For entrees, I had the rack of lamb, paella, and steak. They were all delicious and I never had room for dessert, which is odd for me!

The dinner prices are kind of high, but when I looked at other table service restaurants on the island of similar quality they weren't that different. Mahikiki(sp?) had an ok breakfast buffet, but it wasn't my favorite.

I have had lunch at Ama Ama twice and thoroughly enjoyed it - I never tried the dinner as I heard a lot of negatives, but as for lunch, highly recommend it!

I think it is great for breakfast. Try the Loco Moco. You can't beat the view. Monkey pod is good as we'll along with Long Boards at the Marriott.

Thanks everyone!! I am still on the fence. I think I will present the facts to the family and let them decide. That way I can't be blamed. :)

How necessary are reservations for Breakfast at Ama Ama? I don't really know what time we'll be waking up, so I'd rather just play it by ear. But I'm not sure how booked it gets. Thanks!

We didn't find reservations to be a necessity, although as I'm thinking about it, I think the days we got the best view tables right along the edge were the days we had reservations.

We're hoping it's good because we booked Ama Ama for Father's Day dinner. We tried to get 6:30, but settled for 6pm so we could try to enjoy the sunset. It shows that the sun sets in Hawaii in June around 7:15 give or take. We figure if we finish dinner early, we'll walk to the beach or something to enjoy it.

We had dinner at sunset and it was awesome. I had the fresh fish (don't remember what it was) but it was great. Service was great. I've only eaten there once and we are from Alaska so the price shock doesn't really apply to us. I would eat there again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter